HELP! I’m having DVC buyer’s remorse

pgp1206

Earning My Ears
We bought into a Copper Creek DVC while vacationing last week. We purchased 150 pts. My husband and I are 59 years old and in hindsight, I wish we had purchased 10 years ago. I feel like we bought into this a little too late. I’m concerned that we will not get our money’s worth out of it in the next 10-15 years( I don’t think we will be making many trips once we reach that age) even though I know we can leave it to our children when we are unable to make the trips. I’m thinking of cancelling (our 10 days are not up yet). Any advice?

Well you could always cancel the direct sale and buy a different resort on the resale market. This would be alot cheaper however your home resort would have to change. If you love CCV and you aren't strapped for cash and you still have money in savings you should be fine.

If you feel it’s not right for you, cancel while you can. Then do some research into resale. If you decide that CCV is actually the best for you, DVD will be happy to sell it to you then. Better to lose some time than to spend thousands of dollars on something that doesn’t work for you.

Let me add, DH & I are older than you and still enjoy our DVC membership!

We bought into a Copper Creek DVC while vacationing last week. We purchased 150 pts. My husband and I are 59 years old and in hindsight, I wish we had purchased 10 years ago. I feel like we bought into this a little too late. I’m concerned that we will not get our money’s worth out of it in the next 10-15 years( I don’t think we will be making many trips once we reach that age) even though I know we can leave it to our children when we are unable to make the trips. I’m thinking of cancelling (our 10 days are not up yet). Any advice?
I recommend cancelling. They'll always be happy to sell to you again if you later change your mind & decide to buy.

But the bottom line is that Disney is a corporation out to make money. I love WDW and its resorts, but can't help but notice how overwhelmingly bottom line-oriented they've become in recent years (cutting hours at the parks, raising prices for everything, adding new fees & taking away past perks, etc.). I really wouldn't feel comfortable handing over a huge wad of cash to them to cover my next 15 years of vacations. Who knows what kinds of changes they'll make to the WDW experience within that time frame? I feel safer just paying for one trip at a time, so that I'm always free to take my business elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice.
I recommend cancelling. They'll always be happy to sell to you again if you later change your mind & decide to buy.

But the bottom line is that Disney is a corporation out to make money. I love WDW and its resorts, but can't help but notice how overwhelmingly bottom line-oriented they've become in recent years (cutting hours at the parks, raising prices for everything, adding new fees & taking away past perks, etc.). I really wouldn't feel comfortable handing over a huge wad of cash to them to cover my next 15 years of vacations. Who knows what kinds of changes they'll make to the WDW experience within that time frame? I feel safer just paying for one trip at a time, so that I'm always free to take my business elsewhere.

I also recommend cancelling. After more time to think it through you have a few months to buy it again. If the wilderness lodge is the area you want Boulder Ridge may be a better fit. Costs half as much on resale, but only has 24 years left. For many that is a concern, but it sounds like it may be a better fit for you.

I also recommend cancelling. After more time to think it through you have a few months to buy it again. If the wilderness lodge is the area you want Boulder Ridge may be a better fit. Costs half as much on resale, but only has 24 years left. For many that is a concern, but it sounds like it may be a better fit for you.
What is the downside to purchasing a resale property?

Hi Hon
Go with your heart,,,if it's telling you to back out and rethink then do so.
I am also a spring chicken too--58 yrs old.
About a month or so ago I wanted to add on to my contracts at OKW.
I made an offer on a resale contract ,,,,then cancelled it. I made a verbal offer to DVC to buy a new contract at OKW and then got all the way to Florida and cancelled the deal again.
I realized that in my heart I really wanted to stay at AKV so I better buy where I wanted to stay.
I came home and a week later Disney contacted me and I bought a contract at AKV and I know in my heart it was the right move for me.
Best Wishes to you
Hugs Mel

Not sure if this link is ok--mods feel free to delete if not ok.
BUT there is alot of good info about direct vs resale here
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/buying/direct-vs-resale/

Also read here
https://www.disboards.com/threads/resale-vs-direct.3661990/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/resale-no-dvc-perks.3661959/

https://*******.com/forum/threads/pros-and-cons-of-buying-dvc-resale-vs-direct.862/

https://www.fidelityresales.com/dvc-resales

Last edited:
What is the downside to purchasing a resale property?
I recommend to just start reading the threads in this purchasing forum. There’s a lot of pros and cons. Here’s my short list:

1. Finding the resort you want with the points and use year you want.
2. Time consuming, doing research.
3. Waiting on owners responses, ROFR, etc.
4. Lack of membership perks ( which is no big deal to me personally)

One pro for you might be lack of spontaneity. It’s not an impulse purchase. Lots of time to think it over.

Honestly! Don’t buy if you’re not sure. There’s no shame in backing out of the deal, and like it’s been said- next week DVC will take your money when you’re sure.

:disrocks:

Hi Hon
Go with your heart,,,if it's telling you to back out and rethink then do so.
I am also a spring chicken too--58 yrs old.
About a month or so ago I wanted to add on to my contracts at OKW.
I made an offer on a resale contract ,,,,then cancelled it. I made a verbal offer to DVC to buy a new contract at OKW and then got all the way to Florida and cancelled the deal again.
I realized that in my heart I really wanted to stay at AKV so I better buy where I wanted to stay.
I came home and a week later Disney contacted me and I bought a contract at AKV and I know in my heart it was the right move for me.
Best Wishes to you
Hugs Mel

Not sure if this link is ok--mods feel free to delete if not ok.
BUT there is alot of good info about direct vs resale here
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/buying/direct-vs-resale/

Also read here
https://www.disboards.com/threads/resale-vs-direct.3661990/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/resale-no-dvc-perks.3661959/

https://*******.com/forum/threads/pros-and-cons-of-buying-dvc-resale-vs-direct.862/
Thanks so much for the valuable info

Is buyers remorse "typical" for you?

It is for me. I overthink things.

Almost immediately after our DVC purchase (and AP purchase right on the heels of that) we took a pretty big financial hit (nothing to do with DVC) and I'm 100% sure I would have backed out if I could have. HOWEVER, it's only 6 months later, we're dealing with the hit that we took as best we can and very much looking forward to our next vacation that is prepaid!!!! I'm soooooo glad I was "forced" to keep it!

Also, I think later in life can be a GREAT time to own DVC. Hopefully, it is a time in your life when you have both flexibility and spare funds for travel! If I didn't have to plan around DH and the kids (work and school) I'd be at the Moonlight magic events for every park this year! My job is flexible! lol

However, depending on how you travel, whether or not you're getting APs regularly, and / or you don't looooooove Copper Creek the most, you may be better off buying resale somewhere else.

There are many positive to owning DVC but you should do your research no matter which way you go. A lot of people only hold onto DVC for 10 years , since their lives change, and then they sell. DVC unlike other timeshares retains a reasonable value, so resales is not only possible but relatively easy.

Wow, we were into our 50’s when we bought in 2003. So 15 years later, I am 71, DH is 73, and there are no regrets.

We have had some of our best vacations, times with family and friends, because of our DVC.

Bobbi :)

Last edited:
I know many regret not buying sooner, but the other side is that WE had done a lot of travel BEFORE we committed so much money to our Disney vacations.

I’m 53 and my husband is 59. We both have retirement on our minds. We are doing a kot of home improvements so that when we sell, we get the most out of our investment. We are also saving for our daughter’s wedding.

I wish that we invested in DVC 15 years ago. We would have made the most of it then passed it on to our daughter when we could no longer use it.

I have so many other priorities financially, it would not be wise for me to invest in DVC now.

I don’t know what your financial situation is, how close you are to retirement you are, etc. I would try to consider what you can really afford and still have money for emergencies and a comfortable retirement. If you have plenty of expendable cash, I think your child/children would enjoy taking it over when you can no longer enjoy it. If it would be a burden, cancel it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts