Help! Hotel mishap!

Dolewhipt

Earning My Ears
DH and I each thought the other had booked a hotel for the night before our cruise.

We arrive in Orlando at 5 a.m. next Sunday morning (yes, 7 days from now) and our cruise is at noon on Monday. So basically I need something for Saturday night (we’ll be tired at 5 am) and for Sunday night.

Compared to Anaheim, the Disneyworld area has, apparently, 8 kazillion hotels. I’m tempted to book a Disney resort because I know the service will be good. Animal Kingdom hotel looks good, but the pool is under construction and is face-meltingly expensive. Two others have availability and are really affordable but have some sort of massive construction going on. Another is a New Orleans French quarter thing that seems reasonably nice.

So...do I book the New Orleans deal, despite the fact there is probably a nicer non-Disney resort for same price and we won’t be going to the parks? Or do I suck it up and pay the animal kingdom face-melt prices? Or do I risk some unknown Orlando hotel that may have surly service or a bad location...I have analysis paralysis.

My non-negotiables are a heated (!) pool that is nice-ish, fun for kids, and preferably with fun bar area around it (Disneyland Hotel nails this) and pleasant service. Advice?!?

If you're going to be using the hotel amenities, then by all means book a WDW hotel. Why not? No one says you have to go to the parks in order to stay there. Yes, you're paying a premium for access to the parks, but you're also paying a premium for the Disney brand (and service), just like you're doing on your cruise.

If you want pool time, why would you go to AK hotel? Just go where you'll be comfortable. If you don't need Disney, you could try another resort in the area, say maybe a Disney Springs partner hotel. But the nice thing about the WDW hotels is that you can catch (for a fee) the bus to the port from your hotel.

DH and I each thought the other had booked a hotel for the night before our cruise.

We arrive in Orlando at 5 a.m. next Sunday morning (yes, 7 days from now) and our cruise is at noon on Monday. So basically I need something for Saturday night (we’ll be tired at 5 am) and for Sunday night.

Compared to Anaheim, the Disneyworld area has, apparently, 8 kazillion hotels. I’m tempted to book a Disney resort because I know the service will be good. Animal Kingdom hotel looks good, but the pool is under construction and is face-meltingly expensive. Two others have availability and are really affordable but have some sort of massive construction going on. Another is a New Orleans French quarter thing that seems reasonably nice.

So...do I book the New Orleans deal, despite the fact there is probably a nicer non-Disney resort for same price and we won’t be going to the parks? Or do I suck it up and pay the animal kingdom face-melt prices? Or do I risk some unknown Orlando hotel that may have surly service or a bad location...I have analysis paralysis.

My non-negotiables are a heated (!) pool that is nice-ish, fun for kids, and preferably with fun bar area around it (Disneyland Hotel nails this) and pleasant service. Advice?!?
Are you flying? The airport has a Hyatt with pool and breakfast service. Not sure about a bar at the pool, but I would think so.

We've stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter. Both are very nice.

We stayed at POFQ for two nights prior to one of our cruises, and we loved it! I very much liked their pool. Plus, I think you might be able to go use the pools at POR. I think everyone in your family would be very happy staying at POFQ.

Good luck and have fun!

We have stayed at the French Quarter a few times, neither time going to the parks. Pools are great and the boat to Disney Springs makes things fun. We have also taken the bus to the Poly-had luncn there and rode the monorail loop to shop and stop at Contemporary and GF. Have a great cruise!

No hesitation...pick Port Orleans French Quarter! Beignets! Gumbo! Boat to Disney Springs! Great theming! Love...love...love this resort!

Be sure to check out the street signs!

You will love POFQ. Have stayed there as well. I prefer PO Riverside, but the properties are actually connected. I think you can use the pool at either place if you want to change it up a bit. Yes, you do get the boat to Disney Springs, which makes that a fun trip over the bus. Yes, the have fresh Beignets.

I would have recommended you consider a non-Disney property though. You would be surprised at how good the service and amenities are at those neighboring hotels. We stayed at a couple of different Hilton hotels recently and really loved them. Of course, if you are using Disney transportation from the Hotel to the port, you'll want to be on Disney property, but if you are not, there are many other VERY good options.

We stayed at the Hilton Disney Springs Area. Great service, nice breakfast buffet (for a fee) and they even have a Disney store. They offer EMH passes as well as a shuttle to the parks. There is a footbridge over to Disney Springs so you can just walk over there. There are two large pools that area very nice as well. The hotel is a bit on the older side, but we paid around $100 a night.

We also stayed at a Hilton near Sea World and Universal. This one was newer and the rooms were more updated. They also had a lazy river in the pool area. The cost was closer to that of a Disney moderate. I was staying there for a conference.

We always stay at a WDW resort before a cruise. And not go to a park
We like POFQ. It is nice and as PP said the boat to DS is really a treat

This time of year, all hotel pools are heated--by the sun. It's going to be in the 90s during the day in Orlando for the foreseeable future.

Pools are heated.

90 outside doesn’t heat the bottom of a pool. If it did then my SoCal brother wouldn’t waste the money heating his all year long. :)

That said, heated to 80something won’t feel heated if you’re in 90 degree heat! Not at first, at least.

You will love POFQ. Have stayed there as well. I prefer PO Riverside, but the properties are actually connected. I think you can use the pool at either place if you want to change it up a bit.

Yes you can use all P.O. pools when staying at either FQ or Riverside.

If you are considering it, stay away from Caribbean Beach! I stayed there for the Star Wars Half Marathon in April and the entire main building was destroyed, literally. The had some temporary tents up and a food truck (I kid you not). So basically no souvenir/sundries shopping available and the food options were awful. And for this they left 3 character pins in the room to make up for it. Ha! Worst experience at a Disney resort ever. I think I am done with resorts under construction from now on.

I know you said your already booking, however I had a couple of great stays at the Hilton Bonnet Creek and the Waldorf near it.

The Hyatt in the Orlando airport is a very nice hotel, even more comfortable than a Disney deluxe. Service is great, and you won't have any worries about transportation.

The Hyatt at the airport is very nice, and the pool area is beautiful. Plus, you'll be there within minutes of getting off the plane, just be sure they know your arrival time so they don't think you are a no show.

90 outside doesn’t heat the bottom of a pool. If it did then my SoCal brother wouldn’t waste the money heating his all year long. :)

Eh, maybe. But we're at the end of a hot summer, and the temps in Orlando are, on average, higher than in SoCal. I am betting they're not running the pool heaters all that much these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter