• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP from Experts Pls...Deciding AKV purchase Husband 'tempted'

3DisneyNUTS

<font color=green>can't think of anything witty!<b
Well I just got off the phone with Dh and I need help figuring out the best way to purchased AKV for our families use. So if any of the experts will help me it would be GREATLY appreciated. We are at the "we will discuss it tonight" phase which is technically a yes lol.

Since this is sooo long I highlighted the key questions in red.

Ok so he will most likely go for 25 points only. But I cannot complain it is better than nothing.

Now can we buy points in other totals or are they only increments of 25? Like what if I wanted 35 points?
Secondly we own 150 at SSR with a March use year. We are currently in full borrow mode. We have no points left for 2007 and we are planning on borrowing about 60-70 points from 2008 for the inlaws for a trip in mid March if the waitlist comes through.

Our traveling is always off season. We nomally have gone in Sept Oct...once in Nov once in May maybe an August.

We will never go during holiday peak times since Ds has special needs and the crowds will kill us. We realized that during our one trip we made over Thanksgiving. While it was awesome to be in Disney during a holiday it was rough with the crowds.

We also have cut back on the amount of times we go throughout the year. Because of this I am sure that we will not be in borrow mode much longer. I am shocked that we don't have something booked now since our last Disney fix was Sept (DL). But we are actually ok with waiting. We may book this Sept for AKV if Dh goes with the plan tonight.

So his arguement will be why not use our SSR points to book AKV. My arguement will be that because of the point structure it will be impossible to book the lower point rooms and will probably be forced to use more points to book the stay. We would definitely use the points towards value studio stays if we purchased with an occasional concierge stay every now and then but always studios.

So here will be the main two questions from him tonight.
DH: Why not just book with SSR points?

DH: We said we were cutting back on going...I am "disney'd out" why would we buy more points?

Now my other questions are:

With my travel habits what is the best use year?
How many points can I purchase? 25- 50 or can I purchase in between?
Do you Disney experts think getting a room with SSR points will be impossible at 7 months out? What about a 8 pointer?
How many rooms will there be? Will it be compareable to VWL?

Thanks so much I know this is terribly long. I just need to prepare myself for tonights discussion.

I can only tell you that you can buy any number over 25 for cash, 26, etc. and any number over 50 if you want to finance.

I think that March UY is good for you, since you don't go in January or February, the months that are beyond your banking period.

The lower point options, like the SV at BWV, may not be available to non-AKV owners. Although, really, if we buy AKV, we would only want views of the animals, for me, that's the whole point. So, really I don't know if those lower points will be available, maybe they will be all that's available?:confused3

Bobbi

If you are financing, once you reach the 50 point number, you can do any number. You need to add on a minimum of 25 points, and 50 if you finance, but any numbers after that. For example: we are planning an add on of 66 points, because if fits how we want to use them.

DH: Why not just book with SSR points?

DH: We said we were cutting back on going...I am "disney'd out" why would we buy more points?

That's a twofold problem. I sympathize. I have family who are just Disneyphobic. A day a year in a park is enough for them to have their fill. (IMHO, they try to do way too much and go when it's far too crowded, like Spring Break.)

Beyond that, you're looking to book value rooms. Recent info from Guides have been that only the existing lodge will have Value rooms. That limits you down to under 100 rooms, I believe. Your availability will be limited. Especially until 2009 when the AKV building opens. Everyone who owns DVC will be booking dates.

The Million Dollar Question is how the preference will play out. Some will only stay at AKV if they can wake up to giraffes in their window. Some are bargain hunters looking for cheap rooms. Somehow I think those booking studios will be going for the cheap rooms, otherwise they'd just splurge for a one bedroom because they want the experience. Others will be on the high end and want those Savannah views. I'm guessing then the Standard views will be the last ones left.

Club/Concierge level rooms will be the BW-View Grand Villa on New Year's Eve nirvana. There are so few and so many want to do that Sunrise Safari, you can bet these will be "have to own to book".

I have SSR points too, but I'm in a firm banking mode. (I'm a saver and horder by nature.) I love AKL and would love to stay there and see the animals, but I'm willing to wait and see how the 7 month window pans out. I've already booked my '07 vacations anyway, so I'm just looking for a few days in Oct '08. But I'm budgeting for the highest stays in one bedrooms and will take what I can get.

Keep in mind, I wouldn't recommend purchase any vacation club unless you could pay cash. If you're borrowing your future, it just isn't worth it. Especially if there are precarious health concerns in your near present.

Thanks for the input guys. We would pay cash...well probably disney card for the rewards then pay that off w/o interest. The only way Dh would consider it is if we could pay cash. So it would have to be 50 points or less for us right now. Especially since it is an addon.

You know I should look in our history since I may have stayed in Feb too.

Being there is no incentive for under 100 I could always buy the points 50 or less right? I am not getting any incentive to purchase if I do it now right? The reg price is $104 anyway...

The price is 101 right now and will go up for DVC members in June I believe. If someone has the correct date post it please.:)

OHHHHHHH ok so for 25 points it is an incentive of $75 difference. Gosh I wish we could add 100 but there is no way we could swing that right now. Plus we have to wait to addon DVC Cali. So I think 35 would be the best option for us. That would be ...
at least a 5 night sun-friday studio stay every other year at concierge
OR a week including weekend at a value studio every other year or
5 nights at value and then bank the 30 for the next year have 55 plus 35 borrowed and we could have 90 points to use .....
OR we could mix it with our SSR points and stay both places.....OMG I am gonna make myself crazy with the options!!!!! LOL

The price is 101 right now and will go up for DVC members in June I believe. If someone has the correct date post it please.:)

My guide told me that only current DVC'ers are allowed to buy in now at $101/ point. That price will remain in effect until June 1, 2007. However, sales to the general public will go on sale on 3/5 at $104/point. I was also told that with 100 or more points, you would have the $8 savings or the builders points or whatever they're called, that are available for only seven months, and can be used at any of the DVC's.

With my travel habits what is the best use year?
This one is easy! Disney will only sell you an add-on with the same Use Year as your master contract. If you wanted to purchase a different UY, you would have to purchase a new master contract with a minimum of 150 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter