Help for someone with foot surgery

Backstage_Gal

<font color=darkorchid>Let me rephrase the dog ste
Hello,

First, apologies that this is not Disney related, but I am a 43 year CM and love these boards, if that is an excuse.
So here is my issue. I tore a ligament in my left foot and dislocated and cracked some bones and am having surgery on Wednesday. I am supposed to stay off my foot completely for two months after that, which has me in total freak out mode. To top it off, my husband will be out of state for 11 days one week after surgery and I will be all alone.
I have a knee walker (which I am totally uncomfortable with) and a walker. I am concerned about how i will transport food/drinks from the kitchen to my couch or bed. I was thinking of dragging a laundry basket around, or a rolling cart. My husband got me a rolling cart, but it is flat on top and i am concerned things will fall off or it will topple over. I saw a basket that attaches to a walker, that may be an option.
So my question, does anyone have any other suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Marita

I have a few suggestions, as I'm recovering from foot surgery now, and just quit using my knee walker a few days ago. First, I had a small shopping bag hanging from the handlebars on my walker, it's slightly larger than a lunch bag. A plastic bag may work, too. Same principle as a walker bag you see in nursing homes.
Into this went my drink which was in a sealable water bottle (pop cans work, too). My food either went into tupperware, or sandwich bags, which I then either balanced on the handlebars or put in the bag. Silverware went into the bag too.
I had thought about getting a basket, but it turned out the walker barely fit into my bathroom as it was, so I was glad I didn't.
Before surgery you might consider doing a few things:
Move any furniture that might be an obstacle, making pathways wide enough for you to move easily. We moved an end table so that I could get from the sofa to the bathroom easier (and quicker, lol).
Set up a table beside your couch with things you'll need. I put a cup there with a pen, pencil, lip gloss, nail clipper and file. I had a tissue box, reading material and the remote. Also a towel, because sometimes the tupperware wasn't so easy to open and I would spill a little.
You'll also need a couple of pillows for elevating your foot.
Set up an area near your bed the same way. Have a water bottle there, especially if you are taking medication. Also a flashlight, so you can see where the knee walker is if you have to get up in the dark. I kept my foot above the covers for awhile, as it was more comfortable that way, so I had an extra blanket to put over my leg and foot.
Hope this helps!

(By the way, I loved my knee walker. I ended up flying around the house on it and getting so much more done than I would have on crutches. I have balance issues and almost fell a few times with the crutches, got dizzy hopping with the walker, so it was a godsend for me!)

Only thing I would add is try to practice with whatever solution you come up with; it may be that by adding a shallow cardboard box to the top of the rolling cart that is a better option, so things do go bouncing off the top... or zip-tie a small basket to the walker... or when I had to use a cane recently (leaving me effectively one-handed all the time) I found a nice wicker basket with a loop handle (think of the basket Dorothy used to carry Toto in the Wizard of Oz) to go over my other arm. I filled it with whatever I wanted to carry around, and by looping my free arm through the handle, I still had one hand free to carry something else. It was not the most fun I ever had, but it worked!
Just be careful when attaching any kind of basket or container to a walker - always make sure it is on the "inside" of the walker, and not attached to the front, where it can cause the walker to tip forward unexpectedly.

As I said before, I would practice for the next few days prior to surgery and the hubby being gone, to see what works best for you, in your situation.

Oh - and Earstou made some super suggestions - and all I would add is an extension cord next to the bed, and another one next to your comfy chair. You may want to charge your cell phone, tablet, or laptop, so be sure to use a heavy duty cord with three prongs for safety!

I will be holding you in my thoughts and prayers for a swift and complete recovery! :)

Mvoing to the disABILITIES Community Board...

OP -- good luck with your surgery and recovery!

I have a few suggestions, as I'm recovering from foot surgery now, and just quit using my knee walker a few days ago. First, I had a small shopping bag hanging from the handlebars on my walker, it's slightly larger than a lunch bag. A plastic bag may work, too. Same principle as a walker bag you see in nursing homes.
Into this went my drink which was in a sealable water bottle (pop cans work, too). My food either went into tupperware, or sandwich bags, which I then either balanced on the handlebars or put in the bag. Silverware went into the bag too.
I had thought about getting a basket, but it turned out the walker barely fit into my bathroom as it was, so I was glad I didn't.
Before surgery you might consider doing a few things:
Move any furniture that might be an obstacle, making pathways wide enough for you to move easily. We moved an end table so that I could get from the sofa to the bathroom easier (and quicker, lol).
Set up a table beside your couch with things you'll need. I put a cup there with a pen, pencil, lip gloss, nail clipper and file. I had a tissue box, reading material and the remote. Also a towel, because sometimes the tupperware wasn't so easy to open and I would spill a little.
You'll also need a couple of pillows for elevating your foot.
Set up an area near your bed the same way. Have a water bottle there, especially if you are taking medication. Also a flashlight, so you can see where the knee walker is if you have to get up in the dark. I kept my foot above the covers for awhile, as it was more comfortable that way, so I had an extra blanket to put over my leg and foot.
Hope this helps!

(By the way, I loved my knee walker. I ended up flying around the house on it and getting so much more done than I would have on crutches. I have balance issues and almost fell a few times with the crutches, got dizzy hopping with the walker, so it was a godsend for me!)
Thank you so much for your suggestions, I certainly will take them Very helpful!

Only thing I would add is try to practice with whatever solution you come up with; it may be that by adding a shallow cardboard box to the top of the rolling cart that is a better option, so things do go bouncing off the top... or zip-tie a small basket to the walker... or when I had to use a cane recently (leaving me effectively one-handed all the time) I found a nice wicker basket with a loop handle (think of the basket Dorothy used to carry Toto in the Wizard of Oz) to go over my other arm. I filled it with whatever I wanted to carry around, and by looping my free arm through the handle, I still had one hand free to carry something else. It was not the most fun I ever had, but it worked!
Just be careful when attaching any kind of basket or container to a walker - always make sure it is on the "inside" of the walker, and not attached to the front, where it can cause the walker to tip forward unexpectedly.

As I said before, I would practice for the next few days prior to surgery and the hubby being gone, to see what works best for you, in your situation.

Oh - and Earstou made some super suggestions - and all I would add is an extension cord next to the bed, and another one next to your comfy chair. You may want to charge your cell phone, tablet, or laptop, so be sure to use a heavy duty cord with three prongs for safety!

I will be holding you in my thoughts and prayers for a swift and complete recovery! :)

Thanks so much, these are very helpful suggestions!

I walk a tiny bit on my crutches in flat houses, and have to plan each trip to another room carefully. Everyone above had terrific ideas!!! Also mapping out the routes you'll be taking in your house think about which activities you do in each place. Are you going to be cooking for yourself? I cook a fair bit in our house and cannot stand for more than a minute at a time so I sit in a chair in front of the stove. Will you have trouble reaching things in the cabinet? If so maybe put them out in the open for a bit. For the bathroom an extra non slip rug on the floor might prevent falls if the floor is slippery a bit better. Do you have a safe way to shower or bathe? The benches really do help. Wishing you a good surgery, fast healing, and a full recovery! :hug:

I walk a tiny bit on my crutches in flat houses, and have to plan each trip to another room carefully. Everyone above had terrific ideas!!! Also mapping out the routes you'll be taking in your house think about which activities you do in each place. Are you going to be cooking for yourself? I cook a fair bit in our house and cannot stand for more than a minute at a time so I sit in a chair in front of the stove. Will you have trouble reaching things in the cabinet? If so maybe put them out in the open for a bit. For the bathroom an extra non slip rug on the floor might prevent falls if the floor is slippery a bit better. Do you have a safe way to shower or bathe? The benches really do help. Wishing you a good surgery, fast healing, and a full recovery! :hug:

Thank you, more good ideas! Much appreciated. Surgery in the morning, not looking forward to it....

@Backstage_Gal - hope to hear from after you have had time to start to heal; Let us know how you are doing!

(((hugs))) and best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery!!!

I spent 3, long months of ZERO weight bearing post op for Achilles rupture.

It IS very challenging getting items from Point A to Point B. I would sincerely advise a knee SCOOTER; they are more stable and easier to use than a knee walker.

I found I could cook a little by sliding things along the kitchen counter and scooting alongside rather than trying to lift and carry.

Do you have hardwood floors or carpet?

In MY situation, I found it too dangero
Hello,

First, apologies that this is not Disney related, but I am a 43 year CM and love these boards, if that is an excuse.
So here is my issue. I tore a ligament in my left foot and dislocated and cracked some bones and am having surgery on Wednesday. I am supposed to stay off my foot completely for two months after that, which has me in total freak out mode. To top it off, my husband will be out of state for 11 days one week after surgery and I will be all alone.
I have a knee walker (which I am totally uncomfortable with) and a walker. I am concerned about how i will transport food/drinks from the kitchen to my couch or bed. I was thinking of dragging a laundry basket around, or a rolling cart. My husband got me a rolling cart, but it is flat on top and i am concerned things will fall off or it will topple over. I saw a basket that attaches to a walker, that may be an option.
So my question, does anyone have any other suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Marita

us to try to get hot food or drinks moved around when I was alone.

Is there ANYONE you could hire (even a teenager) to come help you for even a couple of hours each day while your husband is away?

The biggest ugly surprise _I_ had was that if I dropped something, it was nearly impossible to pick it up if it was not next to where I was sitting. I also could not get clothes out of the dryer. BTW, I was 47 and rather fit.

Please keep us posted and feel free to PM me; I truly know your pain!

I spent 3, long months of ZERO weight bearing post op for Achilles rupture.

It IS very challenging getting items from Point A to Point B. I would sincerely advise a knee SCOOTER; they are more stable and easier to use than a knee walker.

I found I could cook a little by sliding things along the kitchen counter and scooting alongside rather than trying to lift and carry.

Do you have hardwood floors or carpet?

In MY situation, I found it too dangero

us to try to get hot food or drinks moved around when I was alone.

Is there ANYONE you could hire (even a teenager) to come help you for even a couple of hours each day while your husband is away?

The biggest ugly surprise _I_ had was that if I dropped something, it was nearly impossible to pick it up if it was not next to where I was sitting. I also could not get clothes out of the dryer. BTW, I was 47 and rather fit.

Please keep us posted and feel free to PM me; I truly know your pain!

Thanks so much for your reply. I do have a knee walker, sorry if I used the wrong term. I have carpets except kitchen and bathroom. I am now on day 2 of the walker, and its getting a little bit easier to use.Good idea about sliding pots for cooking, although i plan to reply mostly on things i can just heat in the microwave or toaster oven.
I have a neighbor (that I dont know but hubby does) that I can probably call if i need some quick help. I have relatives I could call for more extensive help, but they live 40+ minutes away.
My surgery was yesterday morning and i am now the proud owner of 3 nails in my foot, LOL. But surprisingly I have had no pain whatever so far. Im sure the Percocet are doing their fabulous job.

Thanks again everyone for their fabulous help, I feel so much better prepared now for my long sting alone.

Just saw your thread and am wishing you well. Ask for help if you need it. Don't have a setback!

If your neighbor can dash over to heat something in microwave for you and bring it to you (already seated) this would be ideal.

Very relieved to know you are not in any pain!

Hi, doing fine, thanks for asking. I am now on day 5 of being home alone and doing pretty good. Thanks for all the help, it helped tremendously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!