Help for a WDW Veteran but a (Kinda) Disneyland First-Timer

mrsclark

DIS Veteran
What tips, tricks, or advice would you offer to someone who is a WDW regular, but a Disneyland first-timer?

DH and I are both in our 30's and go to WDW about once a year. DH has never been to Disneyland and I haven't been in 30 years (as a very young child - I don't really have any memories of being there).

First, I am trying to figure out timing - one thought was the last part of October/first part of November of this year. If not, I was thinking the middle to end of February next year. We don't have kids, so our schedule is fairly flexible (no school schedules to work around). We generally go to WDW in September which would rule out going to Disneyland then.

Second, I think staying on property makes the most sense for us, but am open to hearing other opinions.

Third, since we will be flying out there and this is a long way from home (not sure the next time we would be going to SoCal) - what else do you consider a must-do? Universal Hollywood? Knott's Berry Farm?

What tips, tricks, or advice would you offer to someone who is a WDW regular, but a Disneyland first-timer?

DH and I are both in our 30's and go to WDW about once a year. DH has never been to Disneyland and I haven't been in 30 years (as a very young child - I don't really have any memories of being there).

First, I am trying to figure out timing - one thought was the last part of October/first part of November of this year. If not, I was thinking the middle to end of February next year. We don't have kids, so our schedule is fairly flexible (no school schedules to work around). We generally go to WDW in September which would rule out going to Disneyland then.

Second, I think staying on property makes the most sense for us, but am open to hearing other opinions.

Third, since we will be flying out there and this is a long way from home (not sure the next time we would be going to SoCal) - what else do you consider a must-do? Universal Hollywood? Knott's Berry Farm?
Go during DapperDays, a non-Disney event at Disneyland.
Signup with the DD and book an on-site room through the event.
http://dapperday.com/fall-2018-disneyland-ca

DapperDays website
http://dapperday.com/

This thread will give you lots of helpful information: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

While Dapper Days are fun (twice a year -- Spring and Fall -- check the DD website), there are many other fun times at DLR. Your Oct./Nov. dates might allow you to attend Mickey's Halloween Party (dates will be announced sometime toward summer with tickets going on sale probably in July). Halloween Time at DLR is really fun and special. Holiday Time at DLR is fun, too. We don't have a Christmas Party, so all the decorations, the holiday fireworks, the parade, etc. are included with your entry ticket. This summer will bring Pixar Fest, with new fireworks at DL, the Pixar Play parade at DL and the return of the Paint the Night Parade (fabulous!) to DCA. Staying off site is much more doable at DLR than it is at WDW. Park hopping is much more doable at DLR than at WDW, too. Read through the above thread and come on back with any questions. You're going to have such a fun trip!

Last edited:

DH and I are WDW vets and made our first trip to DL 2 years ago and are going back for a few days in April. A few things we noticed was how much smaller the castle is at DL than WDW. Park hopping was very easy, really close together. We stayed at a Homewood Suites down the road and could walk to the parks. Also the parking lot and bus depot were right next to the hotel if we didn't want to walk. We would just walk over there and catch the bus. We had a very good time and are looking forward to April to go again. It is a different kind of trip than WDW but very fun.

This thread may help: www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-dlr-area-hotel-for-you.3656512/

While I live in Colorado now, I was born and grew up in Southern California. There is really A LOT more to do in California than Florida (if thinking about adding days to a Disney trip). I am always a little bummed when people focus on other theme parks. I know that is the typical thinking for an Orlando trip but I would encourage you to broaden your thinking.

First, some of the options are more seasonal and not as good for Oct/Nov/Feb. For example, beaches. Probably not the best to visit for water fun but for driving and viewing, heck yah!

So here is my list:
  • Beaches - visit or drive up the beautiful California Coast to Big Sur and Monterey and then maybe San Francisco
  • National Parks - I have been lots of places in this world (all the continents except for Antartica) and Yosemite National Park remains the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Not just the Valley but the whole thing. Also Sequoia and Death Valley. Grand Canyon is not that far
  • Hollywood - actual Hollywood and Hollywood Blvd is a bit dingy, but get some tickets to a show. I had a great time last month when I caught a live episode of The Voice.
  • La Brea Tarpits - totally unique experience - scientific and fascinating
  • Santa Monica Pier - interesting spot
  • Mission San Juan Capistrano - California history. Very cool.
  • Catalina Island - fun day trip
  • Las Vegas?
  • Snow skiing
  • Mountain hiking
  • White water rafting
  • Disney history visit - where Walt got things started
Personally I would skip Universal Studios. You can do that in Florida. Knott's is a theme park with rides. Like Six Flags. I visited many times as a kid. IMO not worth it anymore if you love Disney.

:wizard:

This thread may help: www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-dlr-area-hotel-for-you.3656512/

While I live in Colorado now, I was born and grew up in Southern California. There is really A LOT more to do in California than Florida (if thinking about adding days to a Disney trip). I am always a little bummed when people focus on other theme parks. I know that is the typical thinking for an Orlando trip but I would encourage you to broaden your thinking.

First, some of the options are more seasonal and not as good for Oct/Nov/Feb. For example, beaches. Probably not the best to visit for water fun but for driving and viewing, heck yah!

So here is my list:
  • Beaches - visit or drive up the beautiful California Coast to Big Sur and Monterey and then maybe San Francisco
  • National Parks - I have been lots of places in this world (all the continents except for Antartica) and Yosemite National Park remains the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Not just the Valley but the whole thing. Also Sequoia and Death Valley. Grand Canyon is not that far
  • Hollywood - actual Hollywood and Hollywood Blvd is a bit dingy, but get some tickets to a show. I had a great time last month when I caught a live episode of The Voice.
  • La Brea Tarpits - totally unique experience - scientific and fascinating
  • Santa Monica Pier - interesting spot
  • Mission San Juan Capistrano - California history. Very cool.
  • Catalina Island - fun day trip
  • Las Vegas?
  • Snow skiing
  • Mountain hiking
  • White water rafting
  • Disney history visit - where Walt got things started
Personally I would skip Universal Studios. You can do that in Florida. Knott's is a theme park with rides. Like Six Flags. I visited many times as a kid. IMO not worth it anymore if you love Disney.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am thinking we are going to spend 4-5 days in the parks and planned to take a shuttle straight to DL from the airport. We would probably have 1-2 more days to spend in the SoCal area and could rent a car to get around then. Beaches are not at the top of my to-do list, so what would be your top recommendation for 1-2 days? Also (as the names of our dogs indicate), we are big HP people - I am trying to figure out if WWoHP at Universal Hollywood would make sense even though we have been to the FL WWoHP several times.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am thinking we are going to spend 4-5 days in the parks and planned to take a shuttle straight to DL from the airport. We would probably have 1-2 more days to spend in the SoCal area and could rent a car to get around then. Beaches are not at the top of my to-do list, so what would be your top recommendation for 1-2 days? Also (as the names of our dogs indicate), we are big HP people - I am trying to figure out if WWoHP at Universal Hollywood would make sense even though we have been to the FL WWoHP several times.
My top four votes would be (not in order, it depends on what you like to do):

La Brea Tar Pits
Mission San Juan Capistrano
Catch a live taping of a show you may like
Santa Monica Pier

I have seen HP at USO but not at USH. From what I understand it is the same. If you have seen it already at USO then my vote is to skip and experience something you never have and cannot experience in Florida.

Agree with Hydroguy. No need to see Universal for Potter this trip if you have been to USO. Orlando has the more complete Potter experience. Enjoy your trip!!

One thing to keep in mind is that USH is an actual working studio, not primarly a theme park. People who are used to USO are often surprised, and sometimes disappointed, to discover that the business end of the studios can take priority over the tourist end at USH. This can have its perks (saw Whoopi Goldberg the last time we were there), but can make the theme park pale in comparison to its Orlando counterpart. So if you really enjoy USO, skipping USH might not be a bad thing. If you do want a studio tour, look into takng the WB studio tour. I've heard good things about that from everyone who's taken it so far.

for other activities to do...what is your comfort level....do you stay on the Cruise ship or take an 8 hour excursion when docked?

My top four votes would be (not in order, it depends on what you like to do):

La Brea Tar Pits
Mission San Juan Capistrano
Catch a live taping of a show you may like
Santa Monica Pier

I have seen HP at USO but not at USH. From what I understand it is the same. If you have seen it already at USO then my vote is to skip and experience something you never have and cannot experience in Florida.

I should have included a fifth:

Catalina Island

I personally wouldn’t go end of October/early November. This is a personal opinion but Space Mountain is my all time favorite ride and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy just isn’t nearly as good as Space Mountain. Early November they’ll be converting Ghost Galaxy back to regular Space Mountain, meaning they will close the ride for at least a couple days. Late October has shorter hours at Disneyland for the party which is really expensive (California Adventure hours don’t change for the party.) But February is a likely time for them to close rides like Splash Mountain which is a must do for us.

Staying in a resort depends on what you do it for. There are other hotels right across or almost right across the street from Disneyland that are much less expensive. We only care about the hotel perks (extra magic hours, 60 day FP+ at WDW, etc) and not necessarily how nice the hotel is (as long as it has a bed and bathroom, we’re good. We’re always at the parks or sleeping). If you have a 3 day or more ticket, you get extra magic hours one day at Disneyland but not California Adventure. We don’t stay at Disney resorts in California but all we care about there is extra magic hours.

Universal Studios is ok but Disney is way better. Universal has at least 4 times as many good rides in Florida and the traffic to get there is a pain. Knott’s is fun and it is closer. SeaWorld is also far away and they don’t have very many good rides (although I understand they are building a new big roller coaster)

Other tips- First, the Fastpass system is completely different. I would get MaxPass especially if you will be at Disney a lot of the day each day. I personally haven’t used it yet (last time we went was June, the month before MaxPass launched) but it sounds great. Fastpasses available, you can get a new one every 90 minutes and after you enter the park you can take a nap and reserve FPs from your hotel room. Second, arrive early and stay late and take naps in the middle of the day for full FP opportunities and short lines.

LOVE LaBrea Tar Pits!!! and it's right next to the LAMOMA. Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach is fun even without hanging out in the water....lots going on, things to see, nice walkway along the beach...(as long as it's not raining!) Depending how far out you want to venture....San Diego can be a nice day trip...Zoo in San Diego or wild animal / safari Park (outside of San Diego in Escondido).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter