Help!! DVC for Dummies

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
Hi. Dummy here.

I am still relatively new to DVC and not real sure how to go about accomplishing what I need to accomplish.

We are taking somebody to Disney next year, my parents, as a gift because they have taking us on so many expensive vacations. We would prefer to have a two bedroom villa at animal Kingdom kidani, but we are about 17 points shy. We could do two studios, but mom and dad really like the idea of being in the same room and we all like having a washer/dryer So we don’t have to pack as much or reuse towels.

I looked at David’s DVC rental, but it doesn’t really work that way. . My friend has DVC at AKV and has enough points, which she offered me at a VERY GOOD $ per point, BUT, she cannot do a transfer as she has already done hers for the use year. I considered transferring my points to her and letting her book for us, but neither of us want her to have control of the reservation.

I called Member Services and asked them if I could buy the point difference and in short it would be astronomical.

What are my options? What can I do?

Last edited:
1. Get a 1 BR, and let your parents have the Master BR.
2. Stay one less day.
3. If you are looking at a Savanna view, consider downgrading to Standard.
If AKL is your home resort, try to get a Value.
4. Wait until you have another UY of points.
5. Get on the thread for Renting points and hope someone would be willing to Transfer points to you.
6. Pay cash for one night and then have the rest on the nights on your DVC points.
7. If your trip is long enough, consider a split stay. i.e., start with 2 studios at SSR, then end the trip with a 2 BR (or 1BR).

EDIT: Your original post had you short 40 points. Now you're only 17 points short?
8. Sharpen your pencil until you are even with points needed. :)
9. As others have mention since your recalculation, purchase OTUP's at 7 months.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
You can’t borrow points from the nest year? And when you say astronomical, DVC one time points, 17 points at $19 would be $323, it would be the easiest to keep the plan the way you want. If that’s not doable, point wise would OKW, be less points?

If you can swing it I would go with buying the one time use points directly from Disney. That will be easiest like the previous poster said.

You can’t borrow points from the nest year? And when you say astronomical, DVC one time points, 17 points at $19 would be $323, it would be the easiest to keep the plan the way you want. If that’s not doable, point wise would OKW, be less points?
This. One time use points are $19 per point. You have to wait til 7 months out to use them. You can use up to 24 points per use year. Go ahead and book what you need less 1 day and then book the last day at 7 months and purchase the “one time use” points. OP, they are not actually points you use over and over, they are used to finish out reservations where you just come up a little short.

This. One time use points are $19 per point. You have to wait til 7 months out to use them. You can use up to 24 points per use year. Go ahead and book what you need less 1 day and then book the last day at 7 months and purchase the “one time use” points. OP, they are not actually points you use over and over, they are used to finish out reservations where you just come up a little short.
That seems reasonable. Enjoy your wonderful vacation with your family.

If she already transferred out she cannot get a transfer in. Either borrow from next year or use the one time use points or see if someone else will sell you what you need on points for rent board.

What about having her book the last night for you and putting it in your name then having DVC link the two reservations together so you don't have to move?

ETA Yes I'm sure it's more than the 17 points you're technically short but then you'll be able to stay for as long as you want in the room you want.

What about having her book the last night for you and putting it in your name then having DVC link the two reservations together so you don't have to move?

ETA Yes I'm sure it's more than the 17 points you're technically short but then you'll be able to stay for as long as you want in the room you want.

I was thinking this exact thing. This way you are renting only the points for one night from your friend. When your friend calls MS to add a remark to link the reservations, do a three way call so you both can authorize the remark on both reservations.

This would be the easiest way, just book two separate reservations and then link them by calling into member services.

That is my thought as well. OTU points won't be available until seven months - and while its likely that an VAKL room will be open at seven months, its lower stress to just have it booked and taken care of.

$19 a point to me is nuts when others who have offered (just wrong resorts) are offering for $8 - $10 a point.

If she already transferred out she cannot get a transfer in. Either borrow from next year or use the one time use points or see if someone else will sell you what you need on points for rent board.
Thanks, didn't even think about that.
But, we did rule against it anyhow.

Thanks. This is what we decided to do. :) I appreciate the advice.

$19 a point to me is nuts when others who have offered (just wrong resorts) are offering for $8 - $10 a point.
Sure, but I always manage my own reservations, and you can only do that with transfer points, unless I'm just short a few or need an extra day, then I buy one time points from Disney. It's easy, reservations appear on my dashboard. I don't rent points, no control of what happens, I might feel differently if I new the person I was renting from but most likely, not. You found a way to work it out, good for you, something fun to look forward to!

Do keep in mind that anyone offering points for that low a price probably has distressed points. I mean, I agree that at seven months $19 a point from Disney is far too high, but I don't think you were likely to find $8 a point with bookable points at a resort you'd want. You have your solution (which I think is the best possible one), but I wouldn't set your expectation at being able to rent points for $8 if you are short points - I would think that $10-11 is probably the floor for an expectation of usable points that have any sort of flexibility.

(And I'm partly posting this for your expectations, and partly posting this for anyone reading this thread thinking about an $8 a point rental. There is a reason someone is trying to get rid of points at $8 each - and its usually because they have little flexibility in when they can book - e.g. distressed points about to expire or points in holding. Which is great if it fits your needs and a reservation can actually be made with those points, but its often a fairly one way fit for cheap points and sometimes they are literally unusable.)

If DVC thinks a point is worth $19, why is it that they only give you $6-7 a point credit if you used them for a cruise?

If DVC thinks a point is worth $19, why is it that they only give you $6-7 a point credit if you used them for a cruise?

Because they can only get $6-7 a point worth of cash out of them when they resell them via CRO to pay for the cruise. However, they think they are worth $19 a point to DVC members looking for a few extra points. Its a service that they offer that they don't really want to sell too many of anyway, thus the high price which gives them the demand they want with the margins they want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter