Help-Did I screw up our visit?

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
We are going to Orlando in September, staying at a WDW resort (it is me and my sister, ages 32 and 28). We are doing one day at Universal, with a park-to-park ticket, mainly because we want to see the Harry Potter stuff. The rest will be a bonus, but HP is the focus. I have spent so much time planning the WDW side, with ADRs, FPs, touring plans, etc, and figured, Universal will not need advance planning. The day we are going to go is Sunday, Sept 17th, so everything has been booked and/or cancelled considering that in mind.

TODAY I realized that weekend is the first one for HHN! Is that going to totally screw us up? We are definitely not interested in HHN.

Are the crowds going to be insane during the day? Are the Studios the only ones closed down and Islands of Adventure stays open? If so, does IoA get super crowded after people are kicked out of USO? Should we get an express pass after all (we weren't going to because we figured crowds were going to be fine in mid-september)? I'd hesitate to spend the money, since we already forked out $$$ for the one day tickets, but if it means we can actually go on the rides, I'm willing to consider it.

I considered switching up all our plans so we do Universal on our first Sunday (Sept 10), rather than the second Sunday, but that would be a huge pain! We have BOG Lunch and Le Cellier dinner ADRS, as well as FPs for 7DMT at an ideal time, and would plan on doing Rope Drop, so my very first experience at a WDW park would be seeing the Castle in the morning.

HELP!!!

Touringplans is showing a 3 for the Studios side and a 2 for IOA side that day.

Honestly, if you're just there for the Potter sections and get there early, you should be fine. Just take time and soak it all up. There's so much to see, just even in the queues, that it's a fun place to roam around.

Make sure to try the ice cream in Diagon Alley.

You should be fine. Get to the parks early! Sometimes they let you in 15 to 30 minutes early. One or the other park will have early entry for the onsite hotel guests, but you will be fine, entering early with all others not onsite guests. Start in the Studios, as the potter area there is bigger, plus do all the rides you want in the Studios, then ride the train over to Islands. Do so by around 4pm, as many of the HHN fans will be going into the Studios to wait with the others already inside, as there are holding areas for the HHN to wait inside the park for HHN to start. Many also wait outside the Studios for HHN to start too. At 5pm, they will clear out the Studios of guests that are not in the holding areas or in restaurants. Islands does not have HHN, and is generally open to 7 or 8pm. Many, like me, who are not fond of HHN, leave the Stuidios around 4, via the train, though sometimes I walk through CityWalk, and head to Islands to enjoy until it closes or near closes.

There's lots to see in both potter areas, and the rides are fun too. Make sure you use the bathrooms in Islands potter area. Myrtle can be heard. Fun. Also, look at all the stores and store windows. Lots of neat things to see. The shows in both are nice to catch too.

Relax, and I hope you both have a great time in the parks.

It'll be fine.

Start the day with Studios. Be there slightly before park opening time. Crowds don't start to build there till late afternoon for HHN.

Head over to IOA mid to late afternoon. It stays open till 7 or 8pm on HHN days. Studios will close at 5 fir anyone not staying for the scares.

Don't buy EP ahead of time. It is date specific so you can buy it if you feel you need it, plenty of places sell it inside the park.

So I discussed with my sister. She absolutely wants to see Diagon Alley at night (she went last year but I have never been). That's the main issue as we would have to leave the studios before dark.

I looked at our schedule more and was able to manipulate some things. So our Universal sunday, got switched to Thursday, our Thursday HS/AK day with ROL dining got switched to Friday (was lucky to be able to grab a dining res then), our Friday HS day with SW fireworks got switched to Sunday (and this way we have the morning to see our favorite park one last time). The applicable ADRs were able to get changed. And most of the FPs too. I did lose one for Flight of Passage, but there were other issues with that (its complicated), and we have others on different days, so it's not as bad as it would initially seem.

So, annoying, but I sort of got it all figured out.

So I discussed with my sister. She absolutely wants to see Diagon Alley at night (she went last year but I have never been). That's the main issue as we would have to leave the studios before dark.

I looked at our schedule more and was able to manipulate some things. So our Universal sunday, got switched to Thursday, our Thursday HS/AK day with ROL dining got switched to Friday (was lucky to be able to grab a dining res then), our Friday HS day with SW fireworks got switched to Sunday (and this way we have the morning to see our favorite park one last time). The applicable ADRs were able to get changed. And most of the FPs too. I did lose one for Flight of Passage, but there were other issues with that (its complicated), and we have others on different days, so it's not as bad as it would initially seem.

So, annoying, but I sort of got it all figured out.

That's one of the reasons why Disney has kind of worn on me while I just love Universal. Hate having to over-plan every single thing months in advance. Glad you were able to get it all somewhat worked out.

Glad you worked it out. Schumigirl had exactly the right answer in my mind.

Have fun during your day at Universal. You are in for a treat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter