HELP!! Day trip to Tokyo Disney Sea?

shushh

DIS Veteran
So its been confirmed that I’ll be going to Japan for training. Fortunately because of the timing of flights. I will have most of the day before my day of training and another ¾ of day after training. The last time I went to TDR was when I was a teenager and I’ve never been to Tokyo Disney Sea. So I know next to nothing about the Disneyland Complex at Tokyo.

So here are the details...
I will be staying at the Tokyo Dome Hotel.
Tues May 21 - My flight arrives at Narita at 6:15am. I’m flying solo and business class so can probably get out quickly?!?
Wed May 22 – Training whole day
Thu May 23 - My flight flies out at 830pm

I have all of Tuesday and the first half of the day on Thursday depending on transport time to the airport from Tokyo Disney Sea.

My questions are:
1) Is it doable?
2) Is it worth the time, money and effort for such a short visit?
3) Should I attempt to do both Tue and Thur?
4) Do they have luggage storage at Disneyland?
5) Getting to/from Disneyland from Tokyo Dome looks complicated...anyone done it before?

Any help, information, advice would be greatly appreciated! I am slowly reading through the threads in this subforum to gather information but time is short! All of our Disney trips are usually planned months in advance...

1. I think it's totally doable depending on what you would like to get out of it. If you go in just for the enjoyment you should be fine.

2. I think for the one full day at least it's definitely worth it to go to TDS. Whether the second day is worth it is really up to you but if you are going from morning time on the shorter day you can still do a lot.

3. If you want to see more I think 2 days is better.

4. There are lockers at both parks and at the station and Ikspiari where you can store luggage but not sure how big the space in the lockers is so you may want to check ahead of time.

5. This I have no idea about but you may want to check if there is a highway bus from that area going to TDR.

It's totally doable and worthwhile. Assuming you sleep well on the flight, and being business class I am sure you will.

You could catch the limousine bus which leaves Narita at 8:05 and will drop off at Disneysea - will take about an hour.

As for luggage, what size bag are you taking, as you are only there 3 days, I am assuming you will be travelling light. There will be lockers but not sure of the size,

getting back to Tokyo dome should be reasonable. I had a look on the website it says it's close to a station on the Chuo line. It's easy enough to get to Tokyo from maihama and from there you can transfer to the Chuo line. It involves a long walk through tokyo station, but it's easy to follow the signs,

Disneysea is absolutely beautiful and it is definitely a nice way to spend a day. Take your camera and a wide angle lens, you will love it. Will you be on your own, or are you travelling with any colleagues?

We saw and rode most things in the park in one full day, without getting there at rope drop,

1) Is it doable?

Yes, definitely! Japanese customs is pretty darn fast. I can usually get through customs, pick up my suitcase, exchange money, and buy my limo bus ticket, and be at the bus stop in 30-45 minutes. Since you are arriving during morning rush hour, I'd take the Narita shinkansen if possible. If you do, you should be able to store a small carry-on type suitcase at one of the train stations.

TDL passes are cheaper than the US and I don't think it's that much effort to get to TDL. Disneysea is worth it because it is an experience that you can only have in Tokyo. I don't think Disneyland is really worth it unless you are a huge, huge Disney lover. Tokyo has so much to offer and to miss out on it in favor of Disneyland is a little sad to me. It would be like eating at a Tokyo McDonald's and eating a shrimp burger. It's a little different from what you get in the US, but really, wouldn't you rather try some soba or udon?

I would go on Tuesday and leave Thursday for sightseeing in Tokyo. For an 8:30 pm flight, I would leave Tokyo sometime around 3:30 but no later than 4:00 Narita is far and traffic can be very, very bad. However, if you do want to visit Disney on Thursday, I think you can catch the Keiyo line to Tokyo station and transfer to the Narita shinkansen. That takes traffic out of the equation.

5) Getting to/from Disneyland from Tokyo Dome looks complicated...anyone done it before?

I've never gone that exact route before, but using the trains/subways is very, very easy in Tokyo. It works like any other transit system in the world.

- Maihama station to Tokyo station
- Tokyo station to Korakuen station

Also, I would suggest you skip Ikspiari, Japan's version of Downtown Disney. The restaurants are generally bad and overpriced. Half the stores have retail outlets in Tokyo. The other half sell merchandise that you can easily find in Tokyo for a lot less.

Thank you all for your input!

1. I think it's totally doable depending on what you would like to get out of it. If you go in just for the enjoyment you should be fine.

2. I think for the one full day at least it's definitely worth it to go to TDS. Whether the second day is worth it is really up to you but if you are going from morning time on the shorter day you can still do a lot.

3. If you want to see more I think 2 days is better.

4. There are lockers at both parks and at the station and Ikspiari where you can store luggage but not sure how big the space in the lockers is so you may want to check ahead of time.

5. This I have no idea about but you may want to check if there is a highway bus from that area going to TDR.

It will just be to go in and enjoy the day. I've heard so many wonderful things about it but have also heard of long wait times. I haven't been researching TDR as we weren't planning on visiting Japan (as a family for a while) so I didn't know much about Tokyo Disney Sea

It's totally doable and worthwhile. Assuming you sleep well on the flight, and being business class I am sure you will.

You could catch the limousine bus which leaves Narita at 8:05 and will drop off at Disneysea - will take about an hour.

As for luggage, what size bag are you taking, as you are only there 3 days, I am assuming you will be travelling light. There will be lockers but not sure of the size,

getting back to Tokyo dome should be reasonable. I had a look on the website it says it's close to a station on the Chuo line. It's easy enough to get to Tokyo from maihama and from there you can transfer to the Chuo line. It involves a long walk through tokyo station, but it's easy to follow the signs,

Disneysea is absolutely beautiful and it is definitely a nice way to spend a day. Take your camera and a wide angle lens, you will love it. Will you be on your own, or are you travelling with any colleagues?

We saw and rode most things in the park in one full day, without getting there at rope drop,

Its handy to know that you managed to do most things in one day. I was going to travel with just the standard cabin sized bag but am re-thinking it as I now suspect that I may have to purchase much merchandise...and one has to carry it home!

As for colleagues, I haven't event thought about them or what they are doing!

1) Is it doable?

Yes, definitely! Japanese customs is pretty darn fast. I can usually get through customs, pick up my suitcase, exchange money, and buy my limo bus ticket, and be at the bus stop in 30-45 minutes. Since you are arriving during morning rush hour, I'd take the Narita shinkansen if possible. If you do, you should be able to store a small carry-on type suitcase at one of the train stations.

TDL passes are cheaper than the US and I don't think it's that much effort to get to TDL. Disneysea is worth it because it is an experience that you can only have in Tokyo. I don't think Disneyland is really worth it unless you are a huge, huge Disney lover. Tokyo has so much to offer and to miss out on it in favor of Disneyland is a little sad to me. It would be like eating at a Tokyo McDonald's and eating a shrimp burger. It's a little different from what you get in the US, but really, wouldn't you rather try some soba or udon?

I would go on Tuesday and leave Thursday for sightseeing in Tokyo. For an 8:30 pm flight, I would leave Tokyo sometime around 3:30 but no later than 4:00 Narita is far and traffic can be very, very bad. However, if you do want to visit Disney on Thursday, I think you can catch the Keiyo line to Tokyo station and transfer to the Narita shinkansen. That takes traffic out of the equation.

I've never gone that exact route before, but using the trains/subways is very, very easy in Tokyo. It works like any other transit system in the world.

- Maihama station to Tokyo station
- Tokyo station to Korakuen station

Also, I would suggest you skip Ikspiari, Japan's version of Downtown Disney. The restaurants are generally bad and overpriced. Half the stores have retail outlets in Tokyo. The other half sell merchandise that you can easily find in Tokyo for a lot less.

Thank you for your detailed answers. It is very helpful. I know I sound like a rather sad cultural hick favouring Disney ahead of sightseeing options. I just wanted to reassure you I've seen most of Tokyo's attractions albeit most of it when I was a wee younger :thumbsup2. I have Japanese relatives and have been to Japan a few times. Half the problem is that when we've been there I didn't have to think about transporting myself around so didn't pay attention. And it was a while back. So yes, I love the udon and soba and have tried the likes of the okonomiyaki and oyakodon as well but am really craving the McDonald's shrimp burger that I've never had...Oh and my Japanese relatives now reside in Australia and have been for the past 10 years. Asking my Uncle for advice just confused me. Which is why I'm asking here, because I know I can count on up-to-date, detailed and Disney focused information!

Right...slight change of plans. Thursday now will be taken up with meeting Japanese colleagues so no Disney nor sightseeing :(

So after a crash course and much hurried reading/research. Here is a rough plan:

Tue 21 May - DisneySea hours 9:00am to 10:00pm

6:15am Arrive at Narita T2. Buy bus ticket
8:05am Take bus direct to Tokyo Disney Sea
9:11am Arrive at Tokyo DisneySea Bus Stop. Buy/pick up tickets. Store luggage. Enjoy my day!
10:03pm Take the train to Tokyo Dome Hotel. Depending on how I feel. I may leave earlier.

Costs
Bus ticket 2,400 yen
Park ticket 6200 yen
Luggage storage 700 yen for extra large locker (the children would never forgive me if I went without them and didn't get souvenirs for them!)

Questions:
1) A few have mentioned traffic. The timetable above was taken from the official TDR site. Do you think they would taken traffic into account? As mentioned by corgi_monster, another option would be to take the Narita Express into Tokyo and then catch the train to Mahaima. The first Narita Express (if I read the timetable correctly...) leaves at 7:33am from T2 and arrives into Tokyo station at 8:59am. I then still have to take another train to Mahaima and then get to Tokyo Disney Sea. Will I realistically make the 7:33 NEX?

2) How long does it take to get from Mahaima station to DisneySea? Is this distance walkable? I don't mind paying the 250 yen for the monorail but I will walk if it is faster.

3) Is there any benefit to pre-purchasing tickets rather than buying at the ticket booths right outside Disney Sea?

4) Is there a crowd calendar for TDR like for Anaheim and WDW?

The first round of comments and advice have been very helpful and much appreciated. So any further help and thoughts on the above will be welcome as well!

Oh gee, I didn't think the Narita Express took that long to get into Tokyo. It seems much faster than that! I took a look at the stations that the Narita Express stops at and here is what I would do:

Narita Express to Chiba Station
Chiba Station to Chibaminato Station
Chibaminato to Maihama

If you take the 7:30 train out of Narita, you should get to the parks just a wee bit after 9am.

I don't know if the bus times take into account traffic. On one hand, Japanese transportation is VERY punctual. (Watch the time on your phone. If the bus says it will depart at 9:00 it really will depart at 9:00) But on the other hand, it's taken 90+ minutes to get to TDL on the limo bus at 2:00 in the afternoon on a weekday.

I think the end of May is generally slow. You're well past Golden Week and schools should still be in session. When I went in May several years ago, most rides were walk-ons.

I would buy my tickets the day you arrive. If you purchase them ahead of time, you may still have to exchange your printout for the actual tickets. (This may have changed though.) The lines shouldn't be too long. Last September, the crowds were thick but I only waited about 10 minutes to buy my tickets.

Oh, and don't bother walking to TDS. It's doable but not particularly pleasant or interesting. The monorail gives you a great view of the resort!

And one last thing - eating lunch at the Italian restaurant inside the Mira Costa is awesome! You can watch the afternoon show on the lagoon - they stream the music :)

I am no expert, but we took the airport limousine bus at 8:05am on a Thursday morning, we were in the Disney area shortly after 9.

Like sydney, traffic, i guess is unpredictable. I would definitely take this option, Being a Tuesday the park won't be too crowded (unless it is a holiday - others may help here).

I don't know if there is anyway to buy to buy a ticket outside of the country, so buying at the gate may be your only option.

In our experience, we went on a Monday - we arrived around 10:00, rope drop was 9 - we oohed and aaahed through the entrance and slowly found our way to Toy story area, picked up a fast pass with a return time of 7:15, waited 35mins for tower of terror, then made our way around the park. I felt we had completed just about everything before returning to Toy Story.

I don't think you can walk between Disneysea and maihama station, although there was a recent thread that said you could, but it was not an obvious path and a long walk, so monorail will be your best bet.

You can buy a suica, which you load up with money and use it on trains as well as the monorail, scan it on the way in, and again the way out and the correct fare is automatically deducted..

Right...slight change of plans. Thursday now will be taken up with meeting Japanese colleagues so no Disney nor sightseeing :(

So after a crash course and much hurried reading/research. Here is a rough plan:

Tue 21 May - DisneySea hours 9:00am to 10:00pm

6:15am Arrive at Narita T2. Buy bus ticket
8:05am Take bus direct to Tokyo Disney Sea
9:11am Arrive at Tokyo DisneySea Bus Stop. Buy/pick up tickets. Store luggage. Enjoy my day!
10:03pm Take the train to Tokyo Dome Hotel. Depending on how I feel. I may leave earlier.

Costs
Bus ticket 2,400 yen
Park ticket 6200 yen
Luggage storage 700 yen for extra large locker (the children would never forgive me if I went without them and didn't get souvenirs for them!)

Questions:
1) A few have mentioned traffic. The timetable above was taken from the official TDR site. Do you think they would taken traffic into account? As mentioned by corgi_monster, another option would be to take the Narita Express into Tokyo and then catch the train to Mahaima. The first Narita Express (if I read the timetable correctly...) leaves at 7:33am from T2 and arrives into Tokyo station at 8:59am. I then still have to take another train to Mahaima and then get to Tokyo Disney Sea. Will I realistically make the 7:33 NEX?

2) How long does it take to get from Mahaima station to DisneySea? Is this distance walkable? I don't mind paying the 250 yen for the monorail but I will walk if it is faster.

3) Is there any benefit to pre-purchasing tickets rather than buying at the ticket booths right outside Disney Sea?

4) Is there a crowd calendar for TDR like for Anaheim and WDW?

The first round of comments and advice have been very helpful and much appreciated. So any further help and thoughts on the above will be welcome as well!

1. To be honest take the bus, it is so much easier. My husband always uses the airport buses to come home and says the times are pretty accurate. If you are taking the train you have to add travel time to TDS anyways. Unless you have a bicycle you are looking at 25 extra minutes (give or take 5 minutes) unless you manage to catch the 37 bus downstairs.

2. The distance is walkable about 20 minutes or so just a straight walk and once you reach the athletic park and the huge Taro Okamoto sculpture turn right and you will see TDS straight ahead. Another option is to go downstairs to the Maihama bus area and take the 37 bus to TDS, about 5 minutes travel time. There is a 9:11, 9:51 bus within the arrival time you are looking at and the bus should cost 140 yen.

3. If you can read Japanese the e-ticket is the easiest since you can just print it at home and not have to pick anything up. If you just pre-purchase the ticket you would need to pick it up at the gate or at the ticket center.

4. Yes there is and the day you are looking at should be pretty empty! http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/

Just wanted to add that while you won't have time to eat at Ikspiari I really disagree that there are no good eating options there. There is Imahan, Rotti's House which has an award winning brewery in the restaurant, La Belle (pricy but the lunch course special is reasonable and really lovely!), If you like soba there is Rinya (great seasonal and ladies set), Kyo no Uta has a great natural menu where you can pick and choose from the buffet area and even the some of their sweets have a veggie base!

If you are looking for a casual cafe there is Sembikiya, Cafe Angelina, and Nana's Green Tea where you can enjoy lunch or just tea and sweets! We even use to have Pierre Herme but sadly it closed and now we have to go into the city for our Ispahan fix.

I do agree the Bellavista Lounge is a lovely choice for lunch or dinner! If you want something a little cheaper but still a beautiful dining atmosphere at lunch time check out Silk Road Garden which has a weekday tasting menu for 2,000yen and if you time it right you can watch Mythica from the balcony.

If you are staying at the Tokyo Dome Hotel, use the Suidobashi station rather than Korakuen. Suidobashi station is right across the street from the hotel; from Korakuen you would have to hike through Tokyo Dome City. I used to work right by the Tokyo Dome Hotel and I virtually always used Suidobashi rather than Korakuen, because it was much closer.

Thank you all again for your help.
I have decided to take the bus. With a suitcase its easier to just have to hop on to 1 thing and get directly to the destination. It doesn't matter if I get there a little late. However, it is always handy to know the different options available available, including the various ways of getting from Maihama station directly to TDS entrance. I will buy my ticket there. That way if something goes wrong and for some reason I am unable to visit TDS then my money is not spent yet!

Thank you also for the tip regarding Suidobashi vs Korakuen. Small things like this are helpful. As are dining recommendations.

That's my homework this work, reading up on rides, unique experiences, dining and special merchandise.

More change in plans...

Now arriving in Tokyo the evening before so I will have the FULL day on May 21!
However, sadly I just discovered that Journey to the Centre of The Earth will be closed when I'm there :sad1:

I've been reading about the various attractions and shows and couldn't find the schedule for any parades in DisneySea. I'm assuming there are none then?

Also there were a few "new" shows listed but I couldn't seem to follow the link? eg
Happiness Greeting on the Sea
Happiness on High
Easter in New York

I was hoping that someone could enlighten me on the above :)

Also seeing as I now have the full day, I thought I'd have breakfast at DisneySea as well. Any suggestions?

Is there a website that I can visit to look up menus & prices for the various dining options at DisneySea? I have a budget/allowance of around 10,000 yen for my meals per day.

More change in plans...

Now arriving in Tokyo the evening before so I will have the FULL day on May 21!
However, sadly I just discovered that Journey to the Centre of The Earth will be closed when I'm there :sad1:

I've been reading about the various attractions and shows and couldn't find the schedule for any parades in DisneySea. I'm assuming there are none then?

Also there were a few "new" shows listed but I couldn't seem to follow the link? eg
Happiness Greeting on the Sea
Happiness on High
Easter in New York

I was hoping that someone could enlighten me on the above :)

Also seeing as I now have the full day, I thought I'd have breakfast at DisneySea as well. Any suggestions?

Is there a website that I can visit to look up menus & prices for the various dining options at DisneySea? I have a budget/allowance of around 10,000 yen for my meals per day.

DisneySea's Daytime "parade" is called Mythica and is actually a lagoon show and has viewing areas for dancers in Lido Isle and Topolino Square. It should be showing around 2:30pm I think.

The seasonal shows right now are Easter in NY, Welcome to Spring and Springtime Surprise. What is it you would like to know about the shows? The official TDR English website has the show descriptions and schedule but if there is anything else you would like to know just ask. Here is the website link:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/event/springvoyage/index.html

Happiness Greeting on the Sea is a very short 8 minute greeting and the characters do not get off the barge to perform. You can see it without waiting long around ponte vecchio bridge. Happiness on High is the nightly fireworks show and you should take care at TDS because you can not see it from the right side of the lagoon so again maybe ponte vecchio is a good viewing area.

As for place to eat it really depends on your taste and budget. Did you have anything specific in mind? Recently I had the dinner course menu at S.S. Columbia. I posted photos on my twitter on the 3rd so it should still be up if you would like to check it out. https://twitter.com/DreamSweetsLove

It's funny because I just realized we have never had a sit down breakfast at DisneySea! Usually we will just hit Mama Biscotti's Bakery.

The official website has pictures of different restaurant special menu's and snacks but it is in Japanese. Most are for the Spring Voyage event but there is one 30th anniversary course menu.
Course menus:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/event/springvoyage/menu01.html
Special set menus:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/event/springvoyage/menu02.html
Snacks and Sweets:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/event/springvoyage/menu03.html
Menu items that come with souvenirs:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/event/springvoyage/menu04.html
30th anniversary menu:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/special/happinessyear/tds_eat/

Hope this helps!

If you can skip a sit down breakfast, just grab a snack and have an early lunch. That way, you can avoid the lunch rush.

The big crowd lining up at Rope Drop will be running to Toy Story Mania. The Entrance wait time quickly rises, and the Fast Passes sell out quickly.

Have you seen Toy Story in the US?

Make sure you set aside some time to visit Triton's Kingdom, the impressive underground land that hosts a few kiddie rides plus the excellent Mermaid show. Definitely see the show.

Also, Fortress Exploration is not just a kid's playgoround. Get a map in English of this area: they are not readily available, you have to ask. There are several indoor rooms that are easy to miss without the map. They are a must see!

DisneySea's Daytime "parade" is called Mythica and is actually a lagoon show and has viewing areas for dancers in Lido Isle and Topolino Square. It should be showing around 2:30pm I think.

The seasonal shows right now are Easter in NY, Welcome to Spring and Springtime Surprise. What is it you would like to know about the shows? The official TDR English website has the show descriptions and schedule but if there is anything else you would like to know just ask. Here is the website link:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/event/springvoyage/index.html

Happiness Greeting on the Sea is a very short 8 minute greeting and the characters do not get off the barge to perform. You can see it without waiting long around ponte vecchio bridge. Happiness on High is the nightly fireworks show and you should take care at TDS because you can not see it from the right side of the lagoon so again maybe ponte vecchio is a good viewing area.

As for place to eat it really depends on your taste and budget. Did you have anything specific in mind? Recently I had the dinner course menu at S.S. Columbia. I posted photos on my twitter on the 3rd so it should still be up if you would like to check it out. https://twitter.com/DreamSweetsLove

It's funny because I just realized we have never had a sit down breakfast at DisneySea! Usually we will just hit Mama Biscotti's Bakery.

The official website has pictures of different restaurant special menu's and snacks but it is in Japanese. Most are for the Spring Voyage event but there is one 30th anniversary course menu.
Course menus:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/event/springvoyage/menu01.html
Special set menus:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/event/springvoyage/menu02.html
Snacks and Sweets:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/event/springvoyage/menu03.html
Menu items that come with souvenirs:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/event/springvoyage/menu04.html
30th anniversary menu:
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/special/happinessyear/tds_eat/

Hope this helps!

If you can skip a sit down breakfast, just grab a snack and have an early lunch. That way, you can avoid the lunch rush.

The big crowd lining up at Rope Drop will be running to Toy Story Mania. The Entrance wait time quickly rises, and the Fast Passes sell out quickly.

Have you seen Toy Story in the US?

Make sure you set aside some time to visit Triton's Kingdom, the impressive underground land that hosts a few kiddie rides plus the excellent Mermaid show. Definitely see the show.

Also, Fortress Exploration is not just a kid's playgoround. Get a map in English of this area: they are not readily available, you have to ask. There are several indoor rooms that are easy to miss without the map. They are a must see!

Thank you both for your answers and replies. I apologise for not responsing earlier but things have been hectic of late!

Thank you for the link to the shows. For some reason, I wasn't able to click through the links when I was looking earlier. Don't know what I did wrong the above helps. I just wanted to get an idea of what they're like so I can work out which ones I want to include in my day. Thank you also to the links for the menus.

With breakfast, I was hoping to maximise my time of enjoying the atmosphere of the Disney resort. I was planning to get there early say 8am, get my ticket and eat inside if possible. I suppose I'm asking if there are any breakfast places that open early for breakfast within the park itself like at WDW? If I eat at the Mira Costa Hotel, will they let me in as I'm not actually a hotel guest?

Thanks for the tip on Fortress Exploration. Will make sure I get a map! I'm happy to skip TSM as I've been on it several times in the US parks and will be heading there in December.

I was going to have a late lunch at the Mira Costa so I can stay and watch Mythica from within. Is that not wise? Are good viewing places hard to get outside?

I think for breakfast maybe the easiest is to have breakfast at one of the tables at Mama Biscotti's Bakery, good weather permitting of course. It's a good way to enjoy the atmosphere! Before you do that though I recommend getting a FP at Tower of Terror. Also definitely second Shelemm's recommendation to take time explore Fortress Explorations and the ship!

I think your idea to have lunch at Miracosta sounds great! What restaurant will you dine at? If it is Bellavista Lounge maybe it's good to get a priority seating in the morning and ask if it's possible to have a seat by the window. When you have a special course menu or have the buffet at Miracosta they are giving a souvenir present for the Spring Voyage event.

I

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter