Help Choosing RCI or NCL

rdw

Mouseketeer
icon1.gif
Help Choosing - RCI Allure or Freedom or NCL Getaway or Escape?
COPIED FROM MY POSTS ON CRUISE CRITIC - LOOKING FOR "DIS" Perspective since we still live DCL and DW (choosing between May cruise and a summer stay at the Poly - "magical" rate).

Family of 4 - Me, DH and 2 kids who will be 8 and 6 at the time of cruise. Kids are not overly adventurous (ie, not big fans of heights) - but I really want something that will be good for kids their age.

Cruise History - DH and I have been on 3 cruises so far - Carnival Sensation in 2002 (young, unmarried, no kids) - Mariner of the Seas 2006 (pre kids) and Disney Wonder in 2013 (kids 3 and 5, LOVED IT).

Kids were on the Wonder with us in 2013 and dying to go back - we all loved it - but for cost reasons, looking at other lines for this year. We were really spoiled by the Wonder experience and want to give the kids (and ourselves) another great time.

Definitely want a room with a pull down bed so the two kids do not need to share a bed.

We've (I've) narrowed it down to 4 options: All leave May 7 / May 8. Would really prefer bunk beds for the kids.

Freedom - Western (Orlando, Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel). $3670 for a balcony. ($200 OBC). Or $2696 for OV or $3100 for Panoramic OV. ($100 OBC with OV).

Allure - Eastern (Ft. Lauderdale, Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) - $3500 for a balcony. ($200 OBC). ($3200 for OV, $3600 for family OV).

NCI Getaway - Western (Miami, Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya, Cozumel) - $3036. Includes Beverage Package and 4 specialty dining packages.

NCI Escape - Eastern (Miami, St. Thomas, Tortola, Nassau) - $3200 for Minisuite (basically a balcony room). Includes Beverage Package and 4 specialty dining packages.

Also looking for input on the best itineraries with kids! We did Cozumel and Castaway Cay on the Wonder. We didn't really do Cozumel - instead stayed on the ship to enjoy it without crowds.

These are all for cruises that leave the same weekend. Looking for the best choice for hubby and kids in terms of stateroom, ports and onboard activities (kids clubs, pools and nightly entertainment). One of the great things about Disney was that the kids could also go to the shows every night.

Appreciate any and all input!

Last edited:
One thing to consider is what you would do in the port. Excursions can add up to more than $1000+ for 4 persons, and make one cruise significantly more than another in the end. I have read that you should take excursions in Roatan and Belize for safety reasons. We have been on 4 RCCL ships when kids were 5-15. For under 12, my kids liked RCCL kids clubs very much. they esp. liked the kids club on coco cay, I don't know if they have similar on Labadee.
Freedom has many ports you can DIY or do less expensive excursions and have a great day. Freedom is a fine ship, but you likely would not use the flow rider or climbing wall. Main dining room food is just OK on RCCL, IMHO, so you might need to add a few specialities to the RCCL price. Allure is a big ship and lots to do, but one less port stop, if that matters. Allure is usually more $ than Freedom. NCL, I have been on the Epic, which is somewhat similar to the NCL ships. We liked it fine. The kids club looked fine, with a nice offering of activities (we got the schedule for DD12, but she decided not to try it).
So, I would really think about the ports to narrow it down further. In Grand Cayman, we take a $4PP minbus (full of cruisers) to Royal Palms beach club for the day and get some chairs for $10PP--great, cheap, easy beach day. For Coz, we go to Chakanaab (sp?) and snorkel and watch the free dolphin show. Reasonably priced, family friendly day. Falmouth---only been to Ocho Rios, so you would need to research this port. Labadee--free beach stop. Nassau, we used to take the #10 bus to the Westin and get a $25 day pass, but I have read this might be getting too dangerous--so we would do an excursion, go to cabbage beach or take a taxi to the old Westin, now Melia and get a day pass. St. Maarten has low cost things to do and low cost excursions (some highly rated private ones, as well). St Thomas, we take the ferry DIY to St John or do an excursion, but I might try Magens beach via shuttle or cab the next time.
IF you choose Freedom, you could fly into Orlando and spend a day or two at WDW. It's fun to stay at a WDW hotel for a day or two, go to DTD, go to Ft W, etc. and not even go into the parks.
One note--we love DCL and none of the other cruises we have been on matched our experience on DCL. Entertainment and main dining room style/food quality, and no movie theater are the biggest differences, IMHO. But, we will be on RCCL for spring break for the price difference. Good luck.

Last edited:
Of the two NCL - Eastern. Would not do their western with Kids. Belize is a tender port (45 minute -1 hr) each way, Costa Maya and Cozumel have nothing for kids to do, and Roatan is basically a beach day. My first choice with kids, however, would be Allure eastern and then Freedom western.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter