Height Restrictions

sking5844

Mouseketeer
Hi, we have a 4 year old that is basically 39.5 inches at this point in time. We are going to WDW in December and I expect he will be 40 inches by then, but didn't know how precise they are on height requirements for the rides? My worry is he will be 40 inches exactly or barely over, we will book FPs for rides and then he get there and they will say he is too short to ride.

He is pretty adventurous and is already talking about riding splash mountain, so I don't want him to be disappointed, but if he is too short he is too short. I understand they have the restrictions for safety reasons and am not looking for advice on how to get him in. Just wondering how accurate whatever they use to measure the kids is and if it is consistent across the various rides.

Last edited:
There's a "measure-up" point at the beginning of all ride lines if there is a height restriction. CM's will assist in measuring the child if it's really close to the line.

If he can't ride, you just cancel that FP+/or scan and don't ride, then pick out your new FP+ in MDE. :)

There's a "measure-up" point at the beginning of all ride lines if there is a height restriction. CM's will assist in measuring the child if it's really close to the line.

If he can't ride, you just cancel that FP+/or scan and don't ride, then pick out your new FP+ in MDE. :)
Thanks, I assumed this was how it would work, just wanted to confirm. Not a huge deal from a fast pass standpoint, more so from him being upset if he can't ride something.

Be aware, if it is close, he may be measured twice. Once at the entrance to the ride, and again before he is allowed to board. If he passes the first time but not the second, he won't get to ride. Teach him to try to hit his head on the measuring stick. If they can fit a credit card between his head and the bar, he will be denied.

Pretty accurate and pretty strict.
At that age kids tend to shoot up fast so in 7 months I'd fully expect him to be a solid 40" if not taller.
Remember though you are taller first thing in the morning so I'd try to get on those rides earlier in the day if you're still worried at the time you go.
Also is his current height with or without walking shoes on? They measure with shoes on.

Pretty accurate and pretty strict.
At that age kids tend to shoot up fast so in 7 months I'd fully expect him to be a solid 40" if not taller.
Remember though you are taller first thing in the morning so I'd try to get on those rides earlier in the day if you're still worried at the time you go.
Also is his current height with or without walking shoes on? They measure with shoes on.
It’s without his shoes on. I am not too concerned, just curious about how it works. I know some parks measure you once when you get in and give you a colored wristband based upon height.

Thanks, I assumed this was how it would work, just wanted to confirm. Not a huge deal from a fast pass standpoint, more so from him being upset if he can't ride something.
there can also be a second height check at the loading area which he will have to pass. passing the first one does nor help if he fails the second and causes upset kids who think they are going to ride wait in line then do not get to ride when they get to the ride. also make sure he understands that his head needs to hit the bar of measuring stick. had a grandson who ducked under as he didn't want to hit his head

It’s without his shoes on. I am not too concerned, just curious about how it works. I know some parks measure you once when you get in and give you a colored wristband based upon height.
He is likely already 40" with shoes on at this point. I wouldn't be worried about him being upset because in 7 months he will grow enough that there will be no question that he is tall enough.
And no they don't hand out a height st band. I think they used to but if so it's a thing of the past.

My son went when he was 5. He was tall enough to ride thunder mountain and splash mountain (rode those so much the CM stopped measuring him) but space mountain wouldnt let him ride.

My son went when he was 5. He was tall enough to ride thunder mountain and splash mountain (rode those so much the CM stopped measuring him) but space mountain wouldnt let him ride.

BTMRR and Splash Mountain have a height requirement of 40" where as Space Mountain is 44" so your DS must have been too short for Space hence why the CM wouldn't let him ride.

Space MTN has a 44" height requirements. Splash and Big Thunder are only 40", so I'm guessing your son was at least 40", but less than 44".

In our experience, not all of the height sticks were exactly the same. DD was right at 48" without shoes when we went. Shoes added about 3/4". For Primeval Whirl, she was at least an inch taller than the stick. For RnR, they were able to stick a card between the stick and her head, but did end up letting her ride anyway. At BB, she was just tall enough for Slush Gusher, but somehow a solid 1"+ too short for Summit Plummet (same height req). We also experienced issues at the same ride with my DS. He had ridden Barnstormer a few times in a row with a CM saying he was tall enough. He got in line again (after just getting off) and a new CM said he was too short.

With a child your height and 7 months to go, I would figure he'd more than be tall enough for the 40" rides though.

BTMRR and Splash Mountain have a height requirement of 40" where as Space Mountain is 44" so your DS must have been too short for Space hence why the CM wouldn't let him ride.

Ah! When I googled height requirements for my daughter it said Space Mountain was 40 inches. It was a quick google search and not on Disneys site so it was misinformation.

My daughter is 38.5 inches no shoes right now with about 9 months to go before our trip. We're hoping she can ride splash and thunder mountain.

Ah! When I googled height requirements for my daughter it said Space Mountain was 40 inches. It was a quick google search and not on Disneys site so it was misinformation.

My daughter is 38.5 inches no shoes right now with about 9 months to go before our trip. We're hoping she can ride splash and thunder mountain.

You likely saw the height requirement for Disneyland's Space Mountain which is 40".

My then 3 year old went to DL in October and was right at 40" with his tennis shoes. The CMs reminded him to stand up tall every time they measured him. He was measured multiple times for certain rides but always they said stand up straight and tall buddy.:)

No wristbands at WDW. Some obnoxious parents would slip it off the tall enough kid and put it on the not tall enough kid. Others would try to sell them, etc.

My then 3 year old went to DL in October and was right at 40" with his tennis shoes. The CMs reminded him to stand up tall every time they measured him. He was measured multiple times for certain rides but always they said stand up straight and tall buddy.:)
we had a grandson who even with the CM reminding him he would still duck slightly to not hit his head. took all most all of the trip to get him to point he would bump the bar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter