Height restrictions for 2 kids riding together?

MelSettle

Earning My Ears
I tried to do a search on this but didn't find anything. We will be heading to Disney in March. We have 4 kids ages 10, 8, 4 and 2. My 2 year old won't be able to ride some of the rides that my older kids love and I am curious how we can work it out. Take SD mine train, if I wait with my 2 year old and my husband rides with the 4 year old, will they let the 8 and 10 year old ride together? My fast pass time is approaching and I just now thought of this. If they don't allow the older kids to ride together, how the heck can I be sure that the 3 older kids can ride stuff with only one adult going with them? Thanks in advance!

Don't forget to grab those rider swap passes when you enter the ride...the kids should all be able to ride a second time with the parent who sits out with the 2yo. We just returned and my 7yo insisted on riding alone : )

So what happens when you have a 9, 6 and 5 year old with only one adult?
My wife does not ride roller coasters and all of my kids are over 44” now.

The 9 year old rides alone and you ride with one of the younger kids while the other waits with mom. Then you go back through with the other kid while the first waits with mom.

There are some rides they will allow the two older to sit together right in front of you and the younger one. Ask when you enter the line.

The 9 year old rides alone and you ride with one of the younger kids while the other waits with mom. Then you go back through with the other kid while the first waits with mom.

Thanks for tour help. Just curious in this situation would we get a Rider Swap Pass or is that only for instances where there is a child under the height requirements?

Yes, that will be fine. 7 and up can ride alone. Under 7 requires someone 14 or older.

Interesting maybe I got an unhappy CM because they wouldn’t even let my 7 year old sit alone on the opposite side of the TSMM ride ... I was going to ride with my 5 year old and my 7 wanted to ride alone but the three of us had to sit together in one side

Interesting maybe I got an unhappy CM because they wouldn’t even let my 7 year old sit alone on the opposite side of the TSMM ride ... I was going to ride with my 5 year old and my 7 wanted to ride alone but the three of us had to sit together in one side
Did they not believe you on the age of the 7 yo? There is no reason for the CM to not allow it, unless they were trying to get another family on the ride. Even then, rules property wide are 7 yo can enter a ride, and ride totally alone. CM don't get to make up their own rules but rarely is it easy to argue with them at that time, you just want to ride. Good time to take a name and report later though.

Did they not believe you on the age of the 7 yo? There is no reason for the CM to not allow it, unless they were trying to get another family on the ride. Even then, rules property wide are 7 yo can enter a ride, and ride totally alone. CM don't get to make up their own rules but rarely is it easy to argue with them at that time, you just want to ride. Good time to take a name and report later though.

I wish I knew that ahead of time but as you said I wasn’t looking to argue or hold up ride just assumed there was a reason for it. At least I know for this next trip!! Thanks for info

I think they were just trying to cram you in and save a seat for another party, which is absurd IMO. A few years ago, a cranky CM at PP tried to cram DH, me and our two small kids into one boat. We asked nicely for two boats and she refused to budge, but neither would I. Finally, I looked at her and said, "Fine, then we don't know them (pointing to my husband). We are a party of two (pointing to one of my kids.) She gave me a nasty look, rolled her eyes, and let us do it have two boats.

I think they were just trying to cram you in and save a seat for another party, which is absurd IMO. A few years ago, a cranky CM at PP tried to cram DH, me and our two small kids into one boat. We asked nicely for two boats and she refused to budge, but neither would I. Finally, I looked at her and said, "Fine, then we don't know them (pointing to my husband). We are a party of two (pointing to one of my kids.) She gave me a nasty look, rolled her eyes, and let us do it have two boats.

That’s a smooth move right there lol

There are some rides they will allow the two older to sit together right in front of you and the younger one. Ask when you enter the line.
Yes, I think riding in the same "train car" is allowed if they are under 7. I know that BTMR and 7DMT let us do this before our kids were 7. They will just put the 9 and 6 yo directly in front of you and the 5 yo.

Hahaha! Good for you!

I found this below posted on the walt Disney world site mom panels. Obviously this is why they wouldn't let my 7 year old sit alone on the TSMM ride, though I guess it could be argued I am on the ride with them but opposite side. Any ways this year he is 8 so no worries!! :)

As for the attractions they basically do not have an age limit although no child under the age of seven can ride unaccompanied no matter if they meet the height requirement. So if you have children 7 and under they will have to wait until you can ride with them or another guest who is 14 and older. The only other age limit is for the Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon where the minimum age is 10. When you have a seven year old this can be different at each attraction if the cast member asks for the age. But please remember that the rules are in place for safety and enjoyment for the guests so it is to your benefit that they ask and adhere to the policies in place.

I found this below posted on the walt Disney world site mom panels. Obviously this is why they wouldn't let my 7 year old sit alone on the TSMM ride, though I guess it could be argued I am on the ride with them but opposite side. Any ways this year he is 8 so no worries!! :)

As for the attractions they basically do not have an age limit although no child under the age of seven can ride unaccompanied no matter if they meet the height requirement. So if you have children 7 and under they will have to wait until you can ride with them or another guest who is 14 and older. The only other age limit is for the Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon where the minimum age is 10. When you have a seven year old this can be different at each attraction if the cast member asks for the age. But please remember that the rules are in place for safety and enjoyment for the guests so it is to your benefit that they ask and adhere to the policies in place.
It's incorrect. It's not 7 and under. It's under 7. 7 year olds can ride totally alone. Even the mom's panel gets things wrong. The first part of the sentence is right, but then they changed their statement in the 2nd part (where I bolded). So they said 2 different things in 1 place. Typical of the Mom's panel, unfortunately.

It's incorrect. It's not 7 and under. It's under 7. 7 year olds can ride totally alone. Even the mom's panel gets things wrong. The first part of the sentence is right, but then they changed their statement in the 2nd part (where I bolded). So they said 2 different things in 1 place. Typical of the Mom's panel, unfortunately.

No way!! moms panel can't get anything wrong lol ..... I heard that process is intense to be a Disney Mom.... I'll leave that one for another thread :)

Yes, I think riding in the same "train car" is allowed if they are under 7. I know that BTMR and 7DMT let us do this before our kids were 7. They will just put the 9 and 6 yo directly in front of you and the 5 yo.

This is supposedly the rule but on some rides it doesn't apply, 7DMT being one where they generally won't let a kid under 7 sit in a different row even in the same car. There is some debate as to whether they are supposed to or not, but in practice it seems they don't allow this more often than they do on this ride (they do allow it on Big Thunder I believe). It kind of depends on the CM.

The one to watch out for is Barnstormer where each car only has one row of two seats. It isn't possible to seat more than two people in the same "vehicle." Also, Space Mountain only has 3 seats per car, so if it is one parent and three kids under 7, then the seating will not accommodate (I imagine most kids are getting close to 7 anyway to make height on Space though).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!