Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's off to run we go! A new and improved Teetz running Journal

2018 running in review!

48412228_10212442548250159_8790388532544798720_o.jpg

I decided to reflect on 2018 as a whole from running.

I started 2018 with the Dopey Challenge of course. This was my second time with Dopey as 2017 we had the cancelled half. This was by far my favorite marathon weekend yet. I had an absolute blast meeting Disers and running with Team Shenanigans.

Post Dopey I was in a rut. I didn't run until maybe March. I just felt burnt out. Then I signed up for Wine and Dine and yet another Marathon Weekend. I also had a virtual race with Team Shenanigans (medal on the lower left). This was a scavenger hunt type virtual 5K which raised money for a teammate running Boston through a charity. It was actually a lot of fun and I really like the medal.

Moving into the Summer I didn't run any races just maintain fitness levels and coach football through the Fall.

Then brought on Wine and Dine 2018. This was my first non-Marathon Weekend runDisney weekend. I really enjoyed this weekend. I spent a lot of time with other Disers and had some amazing races. The 5K I dressed as Donald, 10K I stopped for almost all the characters and finished 18th in my age group. The half I PR'd with a bunch of character stops as well. Being in the earlier corrals really does pay off.

Reflecting on 2018 I think I did become a better runner overall. Looking forward to 2019 I still have a lot I want to accomplish.

School is one thing of course. Semester is just wrapping up and then we will be onto the next semester with hopefully one year left of school.

I of course am running Dopey in 2019 again. I keep going back and forth whether this will be my last for a while. I obviously won't decide until after the weekend.

I want to do more local races. I really haven't done much of any. A couple 5Ks and a 10K. I have never done a half in my own state. So I look forward to finding one to do in 2019. I also hope to find some other races maybe in Illinois or other neighboring areas to do. I did like @roxymama's idea to run in Packer gear in Chicago. Although after Sunday's game I think that may not be a good idea.

I hope everyone else had a good year in terms of running and that their future is bright. May everyone have a Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

2018 running in review!

View attachment 370567

I decided to reflect on 2018 as a whole from running.

I started 2018 with the Dopey Challenge of course. This was my second time with Dopey as 2017 we had the cancelled half. This was by far my favorite marathon weekend yet. I had an absolute blast meeting Disers and running with Team Shenanigans.

Post Dopey I was in a rut. I didn't run until maybe March. I just felt burnt out. Then I signed up for Wine and Dine and yet another Marathon Weekend. I also had a virtual race with Team Shenanigans (medal on the lower left). This was a scavenger hunt type virtual 5K which raised money for a teammate running Boston through a charity. It was actually a lot of fun and I really like the medal.

Moving into the Summer I didn't run any races just maintain fitness levels and coach football through the Fall.

Then brought on Wine and Dine 2018. This was my first non-Marathon Weekend runDisney weekend. I really enjoyed this weekend. I spent a lot of time with other Disers and had some amazing races. The 5K I dressed as Donald, 10K I stopped for almost all the characters and finished 18th in my age group. The half I PR'd with a bunch of character stops as well. Being in the earlier corrals really does pay off.

Reflecting on 2018 I think I did become a better runner overall. Looking forward to 2019 I still have a lot I want to accomplish.

School is one thing of course. Semester is just wrapping up and then we will be onto the next semester with hopefully one year left of school.

I of course am running Dopey in 2019 again. I keep going back and forth whether this will be my last for a while. I obviously won't decide until after the weekend.

I want to do more local races. I really haven't done much of any. A couple 5Ks and a 10K. I have never done a half in my own state. So I look forward to finding one to do in 2019. I also hope to find some other races maybe in Illinois or other neighboring areas to do. I did like @roxymama's idea to run in Packer gear in Chicago. Although after Sunday's game I think that may not be a good idea.

I hope everyone else had a good year in terms of running and that their future is bright. May everyone have a Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

Don't worry...everyone likes the person that they beat. My father-in-law wore full on packer gear to a crowded southside Chicago bar for the game this weekend (brave man) and everyone was nice...because we won :)
So just keep on losing and you can keep on visiting us!!!

But seriously...I'll run with you if you pick something near here and promise to leave me behind if you end up being way too fast for me.

Also, awesome medal haul!!!

I want to do more local races. I really haven't done much of any. A couple 5Ks and a 10K. I have never done a half in my own state. So I look forward to finding one to do in 2019.

Well if @jennamfeo 's plans work out and she comes in Spring, then maybe "First Call" in late March? Although I'm sure that's a baseball weekend since that's her intent on coming. "South Shore" is a really good budget friendly race ($20 for a HM), close to you, and is in early April usually.

Don't worry...everyone likes the person that they beat. My father-in-law wore full on packer gear to a crowded southside Chicago bar for the game this weekend (brave man) and everyone was nice...because we won :)
So just keep on losing and you can keep on visiting us!!!

But seriously...I'll run with you if you pick something near here and promise to leave me behind if you end up being way too fast for me.

Also, awesome medal haul!!!

Lol I like you're father in law! I think the next few years will be a battle between the two teams (hopefully).

I am definitely going to look at Chicago area races in 2019.

Well if @jennamfeo 's plans work out and she comes in Spring, then maybe "First Call" in late March? Although I'm sure that's a baseball weekend since that's her intent on coming. "South Shore" is a really good budget friendly race ($20 for a HM), close to you, and is in early April usually.

That could be a possibility. Far enough away from Dopey for a break in between.

Sounds like a great running year! I love all the medals.

Local races are great. It's much less pressure (and less expensive) than Disney races. You're not nearly as financially invested in it, so if it gets cancelled or you can't make it for some reason, it's less stressful. You don't have to worry about booking airfaire, hotel room, etc. The logistics of start line, corral, etc, are often less messy.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for running all the Disney, but I think that local races are also a really good option for getting out there and running.
Just be aware that not all local 5Ks give medals. It's very upsetting to some of us (I mean, not really, but also a little because I like having a new medal to hang up at my desk).

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! See you in January!

Sounds like a great running year! I love all the medals.

Local races are great. It's much less pressure (and less expensive) than Disney races. You're not nearly as financially invested in it, so if it gets cancelled or you can't make it for some reason, it's less stressful. You don't have to worry about booking airfaire, hotel room, etc. The logistics of start line, corral, etc, are often less messy.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for running all the Disney, but I think that local races are also a really good option for getting out there and running.
Just be aware that not all local 5Ks give medals. It's very upsetting to some of us (I mean, not really, but also a little because I like having a new medal to hang up at my desk).

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! See you in January!
I’m definitely going to look into more local races. I just haven’t found many that jump out at me here. I feel like the Midwest outside of Chicago kind of lacks fun exciting races.

I’m definitely going to look into more local races. I just haven’t found many that jump out at me here. I feel like the Midwest outside of Chicago kind of lacks fun exciting races.

The thing about local races is that they don't have to be something fun and exciting. You could do something low-key every once in a while. Maybe there won't be a fancy medal or big setup. But sometimes it's just nice to just go out there and race with no distractions and see how it feels.
Also, a quick google search tells me that the Milwaukee Zoo has a 5K named after a gorilla. But it's January 20th, so it might be too close to Dopey. Just gonna leave this here, though: http://www.milwaukeezoo.org/events/samson.php

The thing about local races is that they don't have to be something fun and exciting. You could do something low-key every once in a while. Maybe there won't be a fancy medal or big setup. But sometimes it's just nice to just go out there and race with no distractions and see how it feels.
Also, a quick google search tells me that the Milwaukee Zoo has a 5K named after a gorilla. But it's January 20th, so it might be too close to Dopey. Just gonna leave this here, though: http://www.milwaukeezoo.org/events/samson.php
Yes the Samson Stomp is more like a fun run. I have heard of it. I get your point. I just think I am one who likes flashy events. I will definitely get around to more local races though.

If you move to Orlando, the Disney races all become local races.

Yes the Samson Stomp is more like a fun run. I have heard of it. I get your point. I just think I am one who likes flashy events. I will definitely get around to more local races though.

Samson Stomp is good times, but I have a hard time getting excited about 5Ks now. #snob

Update!

So I wasn't really sure how I was going to feel going into Marathon Weekend let alone Dopey this year. I haven't done a ton of long runs this go around. Today was my last long run before taper time and I was planning on attempting 20 miles. Well... I did it! I actually had a great 20 mile training run. My legs feel pretty good and I wasn't dead at the end. I now know I will be just fine for marathon weekend.

School is now over and of course I have a month or so before I go back. I haven't gotten all of my final grades yet but things look to be okay.

@Keels is all about me doing a pre-trip report but I am just going to put my plans in this journal instead than a full blown PTR.

A bit of a run down of my 5th Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend!

Dates: Jan. 9th - Jan. 15th

Resort: Pop Century

Guests: Just me! My first solo marathon weekend.

I will get into more details about Fastpasses and dining later but for now I am planning on the following parks.

Jan. 9th - Magic Kingdom
Jan. 10th - Animal Kingdom
Jan. 11th - Magic Kingdom
Jan. 12th - Hollywood Studios
Jan. 13th - Magic Kingdom
Jan. 14th - Epcot
Jan. 15th - Hollywood Studios

I know what you are thinking... Only one AK day! Don't worry I will be park hopping and spending more time at AK.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and I cannot wait for Marathon Weekend 2019!

Update!

So I wasn't really sure how I was going to feel going into Marathon Weekend let alone Dopey this year. I haven't done a ton of long runs this go around. Today was my last long run before taper time and I was planning on attempting 20 miles. Well... I did it! I actually had a great 20 mile training run. My legs feel pretty good and I wasn't dead at the end. I now know I will be just fine for marathon weekend.

School is now over and of course I have a month or so before I go back. I haven't gotten all of my final grades yet but things look to be okay.

@Keels is all about me doing a pre-trip report but I am just going to put my plans in this journal instead than a full blown PTR.

A bit of a run down of my 5th Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend!

Dates: Jan. 9th - Jan. 15th

Resort: Pop Century

Guests: Just me! My first solo marathon weekend.

I will get into more details about Fastpasses and dining later but for now I am planning on the following parks.

Jan. 9th - Magic Kingdom
Jan. 10th - Animal Kingdom
Jan. 11th - Magic Kingdom
Jan. 12th - Hollywood Studios
Jan. 13th - Magic Kingdom
Jan. 14th - Epcot
Jan. 15th - Hollywood Studios

I know what you are thinking... Only one AK day! Don't worry I will be park hopping and spending more time at AK.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and I cannot wait for Marathon Weekend 2019!

Finally something on this journal I’m interested in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!