Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's off to run we go! A new and improved Teetz running Journal

Yay, A Ryan Journal!!!

Wine N Dine weekend was really fun last year. Excited to read your recap all these months from now.

Yay, A Ryan Journal!!!

Wine N Dine weekend was really fun last year. Excited to read your recap all these months from now.
Yay Roxymama is here!

I’m super excited for wine and dine but first spring break! I’m interested to see what if any changes happen to Wine and Dine with the registration being changed.

Volunteering for a different type of fitness event...

So I had to volunteer for something through school for one of my classes. There were several options such as volunteering at a food pantry or at a nursery home or things like that. No offense to any of those types of volunteering events but they just didn't interest me. The only other option was the 2018 American Lung Association Fight for Air Climb at the US Bank tower in Downtown Milwaukee. I had an option for the early shift at 6AM or later shift at 11AM. I chose the early so I still had most of my day to do whatever else.

Parking was free for volunteers so that was nice. I got checked in and was assigned the floor 36 water station. This would be the last med/water station before climbers reached the top. I had never been to this event before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was one of four volunteers at this station. One of the other volunteers had done the event several times before but didn't this year due to an injury. At 6:30AM the ultimate climbers went off. These climbers go up the stairwells several times. There were quite a few who went up all 47 floors 7,8 or 9 times. There was probably a 13-14 year old kid who did it at least 8 times. There were some serious climbing people.

After the ultimates the regular climb begins. These climbers only go up once but there are a lot more of them. We had two volunteers handing out water, one collecting trash and one filling (me). The coordinators also supplied a bluetooth speaker and a spotify playlist we were suggested to play from. Turns out the playlist wasn't a playlist but a name with several different playlists on it. None of the playlists made any sense or had any decent music so we decided to find something else. I searched for a motivational playlist. I found one with some good music for an event like this with some ACDC, Eye of the Tiger, I'm Still Standing by Elton John, Michael Jackson, etc. Several climbers noticed and said we had the best music of any level.

At about 10:30ish the firefighter climb began. This is a competition between area municipalities. The firefighters climb in full gear and some wear oxygen masks as well. The mask is not required in this climb. Our medic at our station told us about the 110 floor 9/11 challenge to honor the first responders of that day. Climbers of that challenge climb 110 floors up and down while wearing the mask. A tank will not last that long either so they have to have extra tanks on hand to give to the firefighters as they run out. I was honestly amazed by those who did this.

Anyways my shift ended at 11AM and I headed out. It was really a different experience and I am even considering it next year. Probably not the ultimate but at least the regular climb.

So I had to volunteer for something through school for one of my classes. There were several options such as volunteering at a food pantry or at a nursery home or things like that. No offense to any of those types of volunteering events but they just didn't interest me. The only other option was the 2018 American Lung Association Fight for Air Climb at the US Bank tower in Downtown Milwaukee. I had an option for the early shift at 6AM or later shift at 11AM. I chose the early so I still had most of my day to do whatever else.

Parking was free for volunteers so that was nice. I got checked in and was assigned the floor 36 water station. This would be the last med/water station before climbers reached the top. I had never been to this event before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was one of four volunteers at this station. One of the other volunteers had done the event several times before but didn't this year due to an injury. At 6:30AM the ultimate climbers went off. These climbers go up the stairwells several times. There were quite a few who went up all 47 floors 7,8 or 9 times. There was probably a 13-14 year old kid who did it at least 8 times. There were some serious climbing people.

After the ultimates the regular climb begins. These climbers only go up once but there are a lot more of them. We had two volunteers handing out water, one collecting trash and one filling (me). The coordinators also supplied a bluetooth speaker and a spotify playlist we were suggested to play from. Turns out the playlist wasn't a playlist but a name with several different playlists on it. None of the playlists made any sense or had any decent music so we decided to find something else. I searched for a motivational playlist. I found one with some good music for an event like this with some ACDC, Eye of the Tiger, I'm Still Standing by Elton John, Michael Jackson, etc. Several climbers noticed and said we had the best music of any level.

At about 10:30ish the firefighter climb began. This is a competition between area municipalities. The firefighters climb in full gear and some wear oxygen masks as well. The mask is not required in this climb. Our medic at our station told us about the 110 floor 9/11 challenge to honor the first responders of that day. Climbers of that challenge climb 110 floors up and down while wearing the mask. A tank will not last that long either so they have to have extra tanks on hand to give to the firefighters as they run out. I was honestly amazed by those who did this.

Anyways my shift ended at 11AM and I headed out. It was really a different experience and I am even considering it next year. Probably not the ultimate but at least the regular climb.
That’s an awesome event! We just had the same event at the (aptly named) Terminal Tower here in Cleveland. Doing it once seems fun, 9 times seems like it would be torture, though. More power to those with the knees that can finish that more than once!

Omaha has the Trek up the Tower and I have never done it due to my schedule, but it just sounds quad painful, but I'm sure a great challenge. The thought of multiple times up sounds very tiring for sure. Awesome for volunteering and getting them some good music to listen too!

That’s an awesome event! We just had the same event at the (aptly named) Terminal Tower here in Cleveland. Doing it once seems fun, 9 times seems like it would be torture, though. More power to those with the knees that can finish that more than once!

Yeah 9 times definitely seems crazy!

Omaha has the Trek up the Tower and I have never done it due to my schedule, but it just sounds quad painful, but I'm sure a great challenge. The thought of multiple times up sounds very tiring for sure. Awesome for volunteering and getting them some good music to listen too!

Some of the people must do this on a regular basis because the people who were going up 7+ times didn’t even look phased. Some were even going up two steps at a time through their like 5th time up.

Sounds like a great event and volunteer opportunity! Your playlist is spot on and it would be the highlight for a race for me.

Sounds like a great event and volunteer opportunity! Your playlist is spot on and it would be the highlight for a race for me.
It was! People seemed to like it for sure. I couldn't believe the playlist choices they gave us.

Great volunteering gig! How wide are the stairs? Also are the aide stations set up in the doorway of different floors? I’d be nervous to be in the stairwells with that many people!

Great volunteering gig! How wide are the stairs? Also are the aide stations set up in the doorway of different floors? I’d be nervous to be in the stairwells with that many people!
The stairs are pretty standard of an office building. The aid stations are set up in the door way of the floors. They send off people in waves so it doesn't get too congested.

We have something similar in Boston. You climb the John Hancock tower and it benefits MS. My last job always offered it as a volunteer opportunity. I never did it as I didn't live in the city and didn't want to commute in on the weekends when I already did it five days a week, but it always seemed like a cool event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!