Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's off to run we go! A new and improved Teetz running Journal

rteetz

DIS Veteran
So I have decided to create a training journal because why not and all the cool kids are doing it.

Introduction: I as most of you know am Ryan or rteetz. I am the Rumors and News moderator, a DIS contributor, and occasional podcast guest. I also am a college student currently in the business school. My school life is a long story that I am not sure you are all interested in but I am on my fourth major and my second school. I feel in a better place now than where I started so that's good. My end goal in life is to someway somehow work for WDI (Walt Disney Imagineering).

26230823_10210170240363882_2224604544112655493_n.jpg

Background: I started this running thing back in 2015 for the Walt Disney World 10K. I had a cousin who ran Disney races and prior to that I had never heard of such a thing so hello I needed to try it out! That 10K turned into a 5K and Half in 2016, and then Dopey in both 2017, 2018, and 2019. I also have run Wine and Dine 2018 (all three races). Currently gearing up for Wine and Dine 2019 and Dopey 2020.

20150109_125545148_iOS.jpg

The Future: With this journal I hope to become a better overall runner and person of fitness. Even though I have run a marathon the past two years I feel my peak fitness was during my junior and senior years of high school when I was playing football. I was doing a mix of running and a lot of weight lifting for that. I'd like to get back to that but motivation has been lacking now that I am in college. Running around my neighborhood is easy (although sometimes boring) but getting the gym is not always great. Wisconsin is also very cold in the winter and running outside when its 20 degrees or less is just not fun. I have a treadmill but its old and crappy (the screen doesn't work) so since Marathon Weekend my running has been lackluster.

With all of that said I would like to sign up for a half marathon mainly for Proof of Time purposes sometime this Spring through early Fall. I need to sit down and look into local ones though. The only local races I have really ran was the Milwaukee 10K. I have done charity 5Ks but those weren't really goal races.

And in all of this I will throw in some fun whether its Disney related or otherwise. I haven't decided if I will do weekly updates or even daily. I am on here so much I will probably do daily. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2018 Races Completed:
2018 Dopey Challenge
2018 Wine and Dine 5K and Two Course Challenge

2019 Races Completed:
2019 Dopey Challenge
2019 Brewers Mini Marathon
2019 Wine and Dine 5K/10K/Half

2020 Races Completed:
2020 Dopey Challenge

2020 Races Coming Up:
2020 Rock n Roll New Orleans

Last edited:
Yay! I'm so excited that you started this and I'm excited to follow along with your running journey!

Winter is tough. I find that having a race (or in my case many races) on the horizon helps with motivation on those super cold days when nobody wants to be outside. You just have to find your motivation somehow and get out there.

Yay! I'm so excited that you started this and I'm excited to follow along with your running journey!

Winter is tough. I find that having a race (or in my case many races) on the horizon helps with motivation on those super cold days when nobody wants to be outside. You just have to find your motivation somehow and get out there.
Thanks for following along!

Not having a race on the horizon definitely helps my lack of motivation. Now that I have Wine and Dine that should help. It has been a week since my last run but I have been to the gym since then for some lifting and bike time. I just need spring to come already!

Awesome, I love journals, I suck at commenting but enjoy reading! I can totally relate to cold winter running being lackluster, it was such a high at the marathon then getting back to Nebraska for me so hard to get motivated with the weather, I get out, but it's not fun for sure like you said. I did sign up for a Spring half which is definitly helping the motivational boost.
Wine & Dine weekend is so fun, will this be your firs Food & Wine festival experience?

Congrats on starting a journal. I've enjoyed the other Disney related stuff that you've written. My son and I will be doing Wine and Dine so maybe we'll see you there.

Congrats on starting a journal!

Thanks!

Awesome, I love journals, I suck at commenting but enjoy reading! I can totally relate to cold winter running being lackluster, it was such a high at the marathon then getting back to Nebraska for me so hard to get motivated with the weather, I get out, but it's not fun for sure like you said. I did sign up for a Spring half which is definitly helping the motivational boost.
Wine & Dine weekend is so fun, will this be your firs Food & Wine festival experience?

I’m sure if I had a race around the corner I would have the motivation to get out there. This will be my first food and wine experience!

Congrats on starting a journal. I've enjoyed the other Disney related stuff that you've written. My son and I will be doing Wine and Dine so maybe we'll see you there.

Thanks!

i am a BIG advocate of running journals for two major reasons: tracking progress and identifying injury.

in terms of the former, running is a very incremental endeavor. it can be tough to see overall progress from the point of view of a single run. meaning, if you have a cruddy outing and it's easy to feel discouraged. a journal is a good way to remind yourself of the longer-term progress.

and as for the latter, a journal can be critical to identifying the source of an injury. i tend to write down EVERY ache and pain that pops up in my blog/journal. the vast majority of these are passing aches but, on occasion, one will turn into something more severe. having a record of when the issue started can be a huge help. did i increase pace/mileage at that time? what other pains were happening? was there a change in the course i ran?

running watches and apps can replicate these aspects to some degree. but i've always felt taking the time to sit down, log it in and compose a summary of my runs and races really makes a difference. it helps me process my effort and understand what i did/need to do going forward.

i am a BIG advocate of running journals for two major reasons: tracking progress and identifying injury.

in terms of the former, running is a very incremental endeavor. it can be tough to see overall progress from the point of view of a single run. meaning, if you have a cruddy outing and it's easy to feel discouraged. a journal is a good way to remind yourself of the longer-term progress.

and as for the latter, a journal can be critical to identifying the source of an injury. i tend to write down EVERY ache and pain that pops up in my blog/journal. the vast majority of these are passing aches but, on occasion, one will turn into something more severe. having a record of when the issue started can be a huge help. did i increase pace/mileage at that time? what other pains were happening? was there a change in the course i ran?

running watches and apps can replicate these aspects to some degree. but i've always felt taking the time to sit down, log it in and compose a summary of my runs and races really makes a difference. it helps me process my effort and understand what i did/need to do going forward.
Interesting thoughts. Thanks!

YAY!!! New journal. I'm so glad you decided to start one and I'm excited to read along.

Following along. I can relate the multiple schools thing. I went to three undergrad institutions, had three majors (pre-law, Poli Sci, and History) and did two Disney CPs. I also some how managed to graduate in 3.5 years. But it all works out in the end. I only went to 1 graduate school. I feel you on the cold weather. We just had another storm here in MA and it feels like Spring will never come. I hope it warms up in time for Boston.

Yay! Following along. I am also a great reader but terrible commenter. Some of that is work related, I can jump on and read the things I have alerts for but rarely have time to comment. But I will be following! :)

Excited to follow along! I respect everyone that runs in the winter up North! I am not sure how y'all do it.

Thanks! Yeah running up here is not that fun in the winter.

Following along. I can relate the multiple schools thing. I went to three undergrad institutions, had three majors (pre-law, Poli Sci, and History) and did two Disney CPs. I also some how managed to graduate in 3.5 years. But it all works out in the end. I only went to 1 graduate school. I feel you on the cold weather. We just had another storm here in MA and it feels like Spring will never come. I hope it warms up in time for Boston.

Wow that’s cool that you got all of that done in 3.5 years! I haven’t decided if I want to do DCP yet. If I stay with my current major I would be done in 4.5 years. If I change again I’m not sure.

I hope you are doing okay in the northeast. I know someone who’s been without power for like a week now. Here in Wisconsin we have been below average when it comes to snow.

Yay! Following along. I am also a great reader but terrible commenter. Some of that is work related, I can jump on and read the things I have alerts for but rarely have time to comment. But I will be following! :)

Thanks! No worries on the commenting happy to have everyone here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!