Heart Attack - needs no or low salt foods - possible at WDW?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
DH had a heart attack last year - needs to eat low salt or no salt foods
Mrs. Dash is my new best friend seasoning

So at WDW can he only eat at Table service restaurants and can not eat at Counter service ?
I assume TS make their food fresh and CS has pre-preped food which can not be altered.

At CS, other than fruit, what can he eat ?
Thanks

I would email the people the PP said and make sure that he can eat at quick service places, but I am pretty sure he can it may take a little while to get the food, but a no salt low sat diet is not that uncommon that I just can not see them not having it as an option

DH has been on a low salt diet for 11 years now (two heart attacks, quadruple bypass and Pericardial Effusion (?) surgery). Lot's of salads, grilled chicken, fruit salads, at c/s. TS - never orders anything fried, creamy sauces (lot's of butter/oil), grilled/steamed vegetables. He is good at home 98% of the time. He orders well and very rarely mentions low/salt/no salt.

For the first time, coming up in May, I need to watch what I eat/order also (even though at home we more or less eat the same). I need to cut on the sweets/ice cream though - or medication is in my near future :(.

You may run into some things where it won't be an option. Just off the top of my head for example there was a chicken at Flametree that was already in the sauce and they didn't have any plain chicken to offer. But for the most part it shouldn't be too difficult to order things without salt.

Unfortunately, the Special Dietary page doesn't list low salt. I'm also limiting my salt due to blood pressure issues, and I was told that CS was probably not an option for my next trip.

I have CHF, so it's very important that I limit my salt intake. I emailed special diets and they weren't really much help, they just said most places can accommodate which is sort of true. Be sure to check the special request box on all of your ADR's, this will signal for the chef to come out and talk with him. At Table Service places they can generally make something but be prepared to give them ideas. The only Table Service that was an issue was Garden Grill because it's family style and all prepared in advance. The Chef was ultimately able to get some chicken from Sunshine Seasons and make something. At buffets they will make you something separate so it may take a little longer, surprisingly my best meal was at Hollywood and Vine! The chef there was wonderful and really took time to ask what I liked and find out what I could have. Ohana was also great. Most places will give you plain steamed veggies which gets old after a while. Also, if he's in doubt, don't eat it. There were a few times I got a dish where clearly the veggies were roasted and salted or things were cooked in broth. If he's been eating low sodium a while he'll probably be able to taste it.

Counter service is a bit harder because a lot of it is pre-made and they don't really know what's in the marinades, sauces, etc. The allergy menus they have also don't address low sodium which makes it more difficult. Usually you can get a plain salad and I would also ask for unsalted fries sometimes. Be Our Guest for lunch is one of the few CS that can accommodate low sodium. This trip I plan to do mostly TS and get some groceries delivered so I can make some of my own stuff.

DH had a heart attack last year - needs to eat low salt or no salt foods
Mrs. Dash is my new best friend seasoning

So at WDW can he only eat at Table service restaurants and can not eat at Counter service ?
I assume TS make their food fresh and CS has pre-preped food which can not be altered.

At CS, other than fruit, what can he eat ?
Thanks

You should pull up individual menus. I know one the ABC commissary has salmon on their quick service menu. You can find things that will be lower in salt, but you will have to hunt them down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!