Hearing accessible room features?

bossyman15

Earning My Ears
I will be staying at POP Century and I have requested the hearing accessible room.

Do you guys know what features hearing accessible room have? I know they have flashing for the door and something about the phone? What kind of phone? and do they have vibrating bed alarm?

This is from the description of a Hearing Accessible rooms at WDW:
  • Visual Alarm
  • Visual Door Knock/Doorbell Alert
  • Visual Telephone Call Alert
  • Telephone with Volume Control
  • Electrical Outlet Near Telephone Jack
  • TTY Available Upon Request at Check-In
These features are guaranteed and do not require an extra charge.​

I also found this on the website:
Guest Room Amenities
Upon request, Guest Rooms at Walt Disney World Resort hotels can be equipped with door knock and phone alerts, phone amplifiers, bed shaker notification, a strobe light smoke detector and a Text Typewriter (TTY) telephone.

For more information or to request a Room Communication Kit, please call Walt Disney World Resort Information at (407) 824-4321. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.​

One question -- I know the link above says "upon request" but there are "Hearing Accessible" rooms as a bookable category. Did you book the accessible room or simply request it? Since it is a bookable category, I would be concerned that just a "request" may not be accommodated (if others have booked all the hearing-equipped rooms).

Enjoy your vacation!

The equipment to make a room hearing accessible can be placed in a room. It is a kit that they set up. TTY is a moot point now as most deaf and hard of hearing tend to use VP on their phone, IPad or laptop.

As Talking Hands posted, the kits can be added to rooms.
There are some rooms have some of the equipment built in. Those are the ones where the website says a particular room is hearing accessible.
We’ve had some over the years with a permanent doorbell that rang loudly and with a flash inside the room (scared us when someone rang it!)
Also smoke detectors with strobes.

Technology caught up with some things that used to be added. All TVs have captioning available and the phones have volume controls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter