Healthy Holiday Recipes

tiggerlover

<font color=33CC99>Still waiting for "the talk"<br
It seems like the holidays have a way of getting here before I know it each year so I thought now would be a great time to start thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am not sure what we will be making for the holidays, but I would like to incorporate some new recipes and would love to hear about your healthy holiday recipes.

I did an Internet search and came up with a couple of recipes to try. I haven't tried them, but thought I would post them just to get this thread started.

QUICK AND EASY LITE GRAVY
De-fat pan juices by pouring the juices and dripping into a bowl; add a few ice cubes. Chill in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, or until the fat congeals at the top around the ice cubes. Discard ice cubes and congealed fat, use a fat-separating measuring cup.

4 cups turkey drippings salt to taste
add chicken broth, if needed to equal 4 c. pepper to taste
1/2 c. instant dissolving flour (Wondra)* parsley, optional
Optional: mushrooms, garlic and onion sautéed in 2 tsps. oil, bring drippings and broth to a boil in a medium-size saucepan. Add sautéed vegetables, if desired. Whisk in flour, adding slowly, to thicken to your desire. Simmer 2-3 minutes. Season to taste. Makes 4 cups.

*NOTE: In place of Wondra:
1/2 c. all-purpose flour 1/2 c. cold water

Place flour and water in a covered jar and shake, shake, shake to form a smooth paste. Gradually add to boiling broth. Reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes to remove paste taste, stirring constantly, until thick. Season to taste.

ROASTED WINTER VEGETABLES
2 potatoes, peeled & cut in 2" chunks 3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled & cut in 2" chunks 3 tbsps. olive oil, divided
3 carrots, scraped & cut in 2" pieces 1/4 c. fresh rosemary leaves, or 1 tbsp. dried rosemary crushed
2 yellow squash, cut in 2" pieces salt
2 zucchini, cut in 2" pieces 2tbsps. balsamic vinegar
2 red onions, cut in 4ths

After removing turkey from oven, raise temperature oven to 450°. Put potatoes and carrots in a roasting pan and rub all over with 2 tbsps. olive oil. Sprinkle with half the rosemary and a light sprinkle of salt. Put pan in oven and cook potatoes and carrots, tossing often for 30 minutes. Add remaining vegetables, toss all with remaining oil and cook an additional 15 minutes or until potatoes are are browned and tender. Remove from oven, pour in the vinegar, and toss well to glaze. Sprinkle with remaining rosemary leaves. Makes 6-8 servings.

=^..^=
10/4/86-9/4/03

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter