Healing at our Happy Place: making GOOD 2017 memories: Mar, May, Aug, Oct, Dec TRs (3/24 UPDATE)

Popping back in to see how things are going, I'd gotten so far behind because of my trip!

I was happy to see your surgery date has come and gone and to see you post this morning!

I've been thinking about you and I hope you're feeling better every day :-):-)

Almost trip time for you, woohoo!!

So nice that you are doing well. Focusing on you trip is probably a good distraction right now, can't wait to hear all about it.

Can't believe we are down to 7 days...1 hour and about 40 minutes!

Not much happening since my last update other than surgery. Monday was quite a long day, with a 9:30am arrival for 1:30pm surgery and I woke up in recovery probably just before 5pm. Amazingly I returned home, we picked up some food from ChickFilA, and I felt pretty good the rest of the night. I decided to stick to Extra strength tylenol only for pain, which I was told was fine, even though I was also prescribed Oxycontin. I've been setting an alarm at night to take my meds and stick to them and it's worked out well. I will see my surgeon next week for the follow up, just a day before our trip in case I have any concerns. I'm actually thinking I might return to work earlier than planned, maybe putting in a few hours every day next week starting Tuesday (no need to subject myself to a Monday really).

The other night I had DH take a peek at our schedule and we talked about the plans...and he was thrilled with our LeCellier reservation. It's been a long time since we've eaten there but it should be nice.

He really wants to try to squeeze in Sanaa as well so we will try to make that happen.

Popping back in to see how things are going, I'd gotten so far behind because of my trip!

I was happy to see your surgery date has come and gone and to see you post this morning!

I've been thinking about you and I hope you're feeling better every day :-):-)

Almost trip time for you, woohoo!!

I'm doing very well and thanks....and yes soooo close now!

Just stopping by to see how you are doing!

Doing well...thanks!

From FB it looks like you're doing well :goodvibes Thinking about you!!

Yeah so far so good!

So nice that you are doing well. Focusing on you trip is probably a good distraction right now, can't wait to hear all about it.

I'm glad too...can't wait for post-op next week and then VACATION right behind that!

So glad everything is going well and way to go for you not needing any of the prescription pain meds. Can't believe you are getting so close to your trip! Excited for you!

Hi lady! I'm finally all caught up again- loving that we're so close to our trips. You guys are at 5 days, right?? And, to echo what everyone else has said, you are one amazing human. Your mom is definitely so proud of you. You definitely have a higher power getting you through every you have been and are going through. XOXO

I'll take almost two weeks off from work, coming back on a Thursday...for a few hours...then leaving on Friday for vacation!

AMAZING. Although Thursday will probably be the 'longest' short day at work, yes? :cutie:

last night we used a JUICER that we just purchased over the weekend...for the first time. It did not go as well as hoped, only because we underestimated how strong ginger root can be when added...WOW! We will try again tonight for a milder juice that I hope to be able to get through completely.

hahaha too funny about the ginger! DH and I have actually been using our magic bullet (why they named this appliance that, IDK, but we'll just go with it...) and have been obsessed with this recipe:

- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 cup milk (you can def do almond milk, etc. instead)
- small handful baby spinach
- 1 scoop vegan protein powder

Seriously its so good!

I also picked up a new EPCOT shirt for myself.

Much deserved! I can't wait to see it!

I spoke to her about flying so soon after my surgery and she didn't think it would be an issue...just can't use my right arm and lift stuff which I already know.

Thank goodness you can still fly!! I'm sure not using your right arm will be challenging, just because you probably use it for everything!!

I'm thankful for my brother as we navigate this course together and find a way to still be a family with what we have left here.

Aren't brothers the best? <3 <3

SUNDAY: I have this planned as an early HS morning but only if we are up for the EMH time (8am).

US TOO!

Hoping to be there by 8pm and we have FP+ reservations at MK so if we are up for it we'll head there for a while. If not, we can just chill at the resort and the pool that we have NEVER used!

Again.. US TOO! haha!!

I think that's it for now and I'm also considering, if we decide to attempt the 4 parks in a day, we might splurge for the Express Transportation :car: that day for fun. We'll see how we feel as that will be day 3 for us...though day one is a short one and day two might be a long one.

OOO love the 'challenge' of four parks in one day!! And you'll have to report back if you decided to go with the express transportation and what you think of it. I think its definitely very reasonably priced. If DH and I did more hopping, we'd definitely buy it.

I decided to stick to Extra strength tylenol only for pain, which I was told was fine, even though I was also prescribed Oxycontin. I've been setting an alarm at night to take my meds and stick to them and it's worked out well.

Setting an alarm is such a good idea so you can stay AHEAD of the pain and not having to chase the pain. If that makes sense...

The other night I had DH take a peek at our schedule and we talked about the plans...and he was thrilled with our LeCellier reservation. It's been a long time since we've eaten there but it should be nice.

AWWW love this.

So happy to hear everything went well with your surgery!!!!:daisy:

Thanks!

So glad everything is going well and way to go for you not needing any of the prescription pain meds. Can't believe you are getting so close to your trip! Excited for you!

Thanks...and yes me too. I also stopped taking any pain meds as of Wed night or Thursday and things are going well. I can't believe it is almost time either...3 MORE DAYS!

I am thrilled to hear you are doing good.

Thank you!

Hi lady! I'm finally all caught up again- loving that we're so close to our trips. You guys are at 5 days, right?? And, to echo what everyone else has said, you are one amazing human. Your mom is definitely so proud of you. You definitely have a higher power getting you through every you have been and are going through. XOXO

Very sweet words...thank you. This was probably the "easy" part so far...planning out my remaining treatment won't be easy. I'll get through it I know...but I'm bound to have my moments. I have every intention of fighting this thing though.

AMAZING. Although Thursday will probably be the 'longest' short day at work, yes? :cutie:

Thursday and Friday will both be 1-2 hour days for me. Now my dad is also visiting so we'll get to spend Thursday with him at home I guess, and then he'll go back home to NC sometime after we leave for our trip. I'm torn on how I feel about this...happy to see him but his motives...well let's just say he wasn't motivated to see my by me being here but more by the fact that his girlfriend will be back here in MD instead of near him as of this week.

hahaha too funny about the ginger! DH and I have actually been using our magic bullet (why they named this appliance that, IDK, but we'll just go with it...) and have been obsessed with this recipe:

- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 cup milk (you can def do almond milk, etc. instead)
- small handful baby spinach
- 1 scoop vegan protein powder

Seriously its so good!

Thanks for the recipe. We usually due straight up juice and it works out well with our juicer...as long as we make the ginger a bit smaller!

Thank goodness you can still fly!! I'm sure not using your right arm will be challenging, just because you probably use it for everything!!

Yes not having the use of my dominant arm is definitely challenging. I think I overdid it last night just packing and lifting shirts and shorts and lighter clothing. We'll see.

Aren't brothers the best? <3 <3

I'm definitely thankful for mine for sure.

OOO love the 'challenge' of four parks in one day!! And you'll have to report back if you decided to go with the express transportation and what you think of it. I think its definitely very reasonably priced. If DH and I did more hopping, we'd definitely buy it.

Sounds like we've got a lot of overlapping park plans so if you do see me please say hello, though don't be offended if I don't know who you are as I barely remember the people that I DO know. I'll let you know about the park hopping plans if they work out for us.

THREE MORE DAYS!!!

It's hard to believe we are this close already. Time flies...when you are busy dealing with so many other things in life.

Last week was tough physically and emotionally for me. Surgery and recovery went well overall...I had one really rough evening/night but thankfully that all worked out. I'm now getting by without pain meds and just trying to focus on healing. My post-op with my surgeon is Thursday and I'll see if I have further restrictions (pools might be out if I can't submerge that side) other than lifting. Even now I have to think every time I try to lift something, "Is this more than 10 pounds?".

The good news is that most of us are PACKED for the most part. I have a few other things to throw in by most of my clothing is in a suitcase and ready to go. My DH will be handling it for me and thankfully it isn't very heavy at all and it does roll so I can manage it a little bit. Two of my kids packed into one rolling suitcase also, so that frees them up to help too.

I haven't even looked at the schedule since last week or made any changes.

Last night I had my two oldest kids (ages 17 and 14) create SWA Rewards accounts for themselves. For our flights, we have 3 different Southwest reservations and since we have to do the online checkin at 24 hours...well that might be tough. So I'll check-in for myself and my youngest on my reservation, my DH will check in for his reservation, and at least one of the other two kids will do their own online checkins. We will see what numbers we all end up with for the cattle call, but I've warned them that we could end up boarding the plane apart from each other but just do our best to try to find seats near each other. Oldest son (17) is not happy with the possibility of sitting near a stranger...but it is what it is and he'll deal.

Other than that, nothing really has changed. Since my MIL is still hanging in there, we didn't have to worry about adding my FIL as I thought we would, although some of my ADRs are for 6 people. I just hope she is okay while we are gone, but worst case we would pay to fly DH back home early if necessary and the kids and I would fly back home as planned.

I'll be having my first DISMEET this trip with @angryduck71 as well...and looking forward to meeting her and her son, possibly at Shades of Green while we are there but if not we have an ADR together which she made for us...yeah!

Mostly I'm looking forward to escaping from reality and what better place to do just that? I don't want to think about my upcoming cancer treatments or any of the other family issues at least for a few days. It will truly be a healing place this time and will most likely be a place we return to a few more times this year for more healing in the future.

THREE MORE DAYS!!!

It's hard to believe we are this close already. Time flies...when you are busy dealing with so many other things in life.

Last week was tough physically and emotionally for me. Surgery and recovery went well overall...I had one really rough evening/night but thankfully that all worked out. I'm now getting by without pain meds and just trying to focus on healing. My post-op with my surgeon is Thursday and I'll see if I have further restrictions (pools might be out if I can't submerge that side) other than lifting. Even now I have to think every time I try to lift something, "Is this more than 10 pounds?".

The good news is that most of us are PACKED for the most part. I have a few other things to throw in by most of my clothing is in a suitcase and ready to go. My DH will be handling it for me and thankfully it isn't very heavy at all and it does roll so I can manage it a little bit. Two of my kids packed into one rolling suitcase also, so that frees them up to help too.

I haven't even looked at the schedule since last week or made any changes.

Last night I had my two oldest kids (ages 17 and 14) create SWA Rewards accounts for themselves. For our flights, we have 3 different Southwest reservations and since we have to do the online checkin at 24 hours...well that might be tough. So I'll check-in for myself and my youngest on my reservation, my DH will check in for his reservation, and at least one of the other two kids will do their own online checkins. We will see what numbers we all end up with for the cattle call, but I've warned them that we could end up boarding the plane apart from each other but just do our best to try to find seats near each other. Oldest son (17) is not happy with the possibility of sitting near a stranger...but it is what it is and he'll deal.

Other than that, nothing really has changed. Since my MIL is still hanging in there, we didn't have to worry about adding my FIL as I thought we would, although some of my ADRs are for 6 people. I just hope she is okay while we are gone, but worst case we would pay to fly DH back home early if necessary and the kids and I would fly back home as planned.

I'll be having my first DISMEET this trip with @angryduck71 as well...and looking forward to meeting her and her son, possibly at Shades of Green while we are there but if not we have an ADR together which she made for us...yeah!

Mostly I'm looking forward to escaping from reality and what better place to do just that? I don't want to think about my upcoming cancer treatments or any of the other family issues at least for a few days. It will truly be a healing place this time and will most likely be a place we return to a few more times this year for more healing in the future.

Can't wait to see you!!!

TWO MORE DAYS...and 6 hours and about 5 minutes until wheels up!

So the only minor update happened yesterday during our discussion about the airport. We had gone over to my MIL/FILs house to celebrate my FILs 75th birthday. We brought a pie and some cards. We were discussing how they keep talking about how busy this weekend is going to be for travel...the busiest in about 7 years or so I think "they" are saying. This of course makes my DH go into panic mode about our airport arrival time.

We are flying SWA and are not checking luggage. We will pick up the kids from their school on Friday and head directly to the airport parking lot...about a 15 minute drive away. The airport parking company we use is great, we've used them for a long time...so that shouldn't be an issue...and they will drop us off right at the terminal of course...and at the correct area. We should already have boarding passes so it's a matter of going through security and getting to the gate to line up like cattle for the dreaded SWA loading process.

I believe picking the kids up 2 hours from departure time is more than enough. DH doesn't agree. He insists when he travels with me I stress him out. My FIL says he pictures the old OJ Simpson commercials in the airport...for those of you old enough to remember those. It's never been like that. I've never been in any real danger of missing a flight.

Yet...we are two different people when it comes to travel. I totally would even drop DH off at the airport ahead of time if that made him feel better, then I would get the kids and meet him there later. Seriously.

My daughter has an exam that ends that day around 1:30pm so now I think he's considering being there closer to that time to pick up the kids. I can pretty much guarantee this means we will be waiting at the airport for at LEAST 90 minutes before our flight...I'm not thrilled about that but it would be just fine with DH.

Anyway we were also discussing the check in process for SWA and I had to finish getting my two older kids setup with their flight confirmation in their SWA Rapid Rewards accounts because they weren't showing up there. I got that all done so they could be prepared for tomorrow's online check-in which we all planned to do together.

And then DH goes and upgrades himself to Early Bird Checkin---for $30.

That's all well and good, then he can get on early as he likes and scope out seats for the rest of us.

He offers to pay for the upgrades for the rest of us...but that means another $120 and I'm not down with spending more money.

Suddenly I get another email notification that the two kids have also been upgraded...yes by him.

That leaves only me and my son left and again...I'm good with us boarding well after them and they can just save seats for us. Yet there is pressure from them all to just go ahead and make the change for us too. And so I caved...and now we all have the Early Bird Checkin.

I guess that will at least make it easier for us than having to do the check-in for our return flight while we are in a park the day before we leave. DH recalled the last time we did SWA and had a hard time doing the early check-in while in the parks. I sorta had forgotten that but he's right. Still that means I could have just done it for the return flights only for half the cost. Oh well.

Also on the bright side it means we can spend more time with my dad, who is coming to town tonight to see us. That's very out of character for him. There's been a lot of stress and strain on our family surrounding him recently though. I've cried more times in the last two months than I have in a very long time. Over family. Over my health. There is definitely a need for some happy place time right now and I cannot wait.

Two more sleeps at home!

You and your husband sound like us, just switched. I would be the one that is super early and stressing out. My husband is much more laid back about it.

We've never flown SW and their whole seating process confuses me! I like JB, pick your seats when you book and you're done. I hope everyone ends up happy with where they're sitting lol!

Best wishes for a very relaxing and magical vacation for you and the whole family :hug: I look forward to reading all about it when you return!

We've never flown SW and their whole seating process confuses me! I like JB, pick your seats when you book and you're done. I hope everyone ends up happy with where they're sitting lol!

Best wishes for a very relaxing and magical vacation for you and the whole family :hug: I look forward to reading all about it when you return!

It's been a VERY long time since we've flown them ourselves. Last time we did it as a family we had a very BAD experience at the front gate and almost ended up not being able to fly. To be honest, it was totally the fault of the SWA gate agent who was giving preferential treatment to family members and when my DH spoke up about it that didn't go very well. Ever since, he's really had a bug about flying them but they have a hub here in Baltimore, fly TONS of direct and indirect flights to Florida locations every day and usually are the cheapest. Plus most of the time we drive these days to save money, so flying this time is a total splurge for us.

Before SWA bought and merged with Airtran, we flew them a lot, and that was another discount airline but with assigned seating which was nice. When my daughter and I flew down in March we ended up booking on American and when we fly in October, as of now we are booked on JB on the way down...and have yet to book a flight back.

Anyway yeah the whole line up cattle call thing is quite annoying. I definitely prefer boarding the airplane at my leisure and not in numerical order and just heading to my assigned seat. Hopefully the kids will at least be able to get some seats together. Two kids are on one reservation, and I have one kid with me and then DH alone, so even if we can sit together like that it's fine. Plus DH has to help me with my luggage so we need to at least be in the same general location on the plane for that.

We are definitely looking forward to this for sure and maybe I'll even get around to a few live posts while I'm there. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!