Headliner ride closures

Smiling Cheshire Cat

DIS Veteran
I see that Test Track is closing mid June. I’m hopeful that either Rock n Roller Coaster or Tianas Bayou will be open by then so that 3 headlining rides are not closed at the same time. Any news about either of them opening other than “summer”? Does Disney plan the ride closures so that the more popular rides are not closed at the same time?

It does make sense to me that they may have lined up test track closing to be near the same time as opening of Tiana. Maybe rock n roller coaster too, but it’s odd they haven’t announced anything yet about retheming or upgrades, so maybe that one will be a little longer. Hoping they can work around closing barnyard and dinosaur for a while when they start tropical americas.

So annoyed that 3 headliners will most likely be down during our trip. We are travelling with 6 teenagers, 1 headliner down in 3 out of 4 parks will be an issue for us.

Wasn't too long ago there was no Cosmic Rewind, TRON, Ratatouille, Rise of Resistance, Millennium Falcon, Slinky Dog ... so there will still be lots more than there was just a few years ago.

Test Track was announced last year and we knew it was coming. Tiana was also a few years in the making and sounds like it will open earlier than expected ~ given the animatronics we are seeing I am impressed. Rock N Roller Coaster has had issues, of course they should take it down and resolve, doing anything else they need at same time.

Disney isn't seasonal, attractions will have to be taken down while parks are open. Without being 100% sure they will be ready to open by XX date, they are not going to release those dates until closer to opening.

Wasn't too long ago there was no Cosmic Rewind, TRON, Ratatouille, Rise of Resistance, Millennium Falcon, Slinky Dog ... so there will still be lots more than there was just a few years ago.
Wasn't too long ago ticket prices were lower and Universal wasn't much of a threat. To have 1 thrill ride down in 3/4 of the parks is poor planning. Especially when many families with older kids are already moving towards spending more time at Universal and less time in WDW parks.

Wasn't too long ago ticket prices were lower and Universal wasn't much of a threat. To have 1 thrill ride down in 3/4 of the parks is poor planning. Especially when many families with older kids are already moving towards spending more time at Universal and less time in WDW parks.
I don't mean this in a snarky way ... but I don't think Disney is worried at this point. The parks are packed and I don't think that will change. Rides get built/renovated on a very fiscal schedule. And again they have added multiple thrill rides which moves capacity and fills the gap for closures.

I always say Universal and Disney are both fruits but completely different. Disney is the sweet mild apple while Universal is the tart tangy orange. For the most part they have two different fan bases with a group that does both. We have AP to WDW consistently (all adults) and over the years we'll have APs to Universal for a few years on then off. Had them in 2021 and 2022, do not have now. Yes they have a few great rides but overall it is a two day max for us because there isn't much to fill the time gaps. Now when Epic opens it will be a whole different story but my fear is the price tag will sting.

Disney is a true theme park, Universal is themed but can lean towards amusement park, like Six Flags.

I would assume all of the rides at any park need to be maintained/repaired/refurbished to keep them in good working order. Disney is open 365 a year so there isn't any time when the entire park is closed to be able to do such work. Likely until they actually start the work, they have no firm idea how long it might take. Rides are also 'one of a kind' products so it isn't like they can go out and easily buy the spare parts required. Most are probably custom ordered with long lead times. Not surprised they only provide generalized information about how long repairs will last. Budgeting for repairs is also part of the financial planning they do. Availability of contractors/workers can also be a factor in how long the updates will take.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter