Heading to WDW for First time. Need Help From DLR Vets.

So I’m not Disneyland Vet as I have only been 5 or so times (just on this Board for info for my next visit in Sept) but I’m very much a WDW Vet with 35+ weekly visits. I feel like I can provide some clarity on your above questions.

1) I 100% do this on purpose even when a desired Fastpass has availability in the morning. While you should budget 30-45 mins to get between parks it is worth it to rope drop a park to ride those rides first. Depending on the rides and parks you should expect to get there 30-60 mins before open. Getting there means waiting at the gates. WDW is known to open the popular rides before park open especially during busy seasons. I’ve ridden FOP 20 mins before official park open and was in line 50 mins before open. By 30 mins before open the line was already being marketed as 1.5 hours.

As for transportation between parks sometimes it’s easier to hop busses to resorts. When trying to get to Epcot from any park it is just as easily to take a bus to Beach Club, Swan/Dolphin, or Boardwalk and enter the International Gate (you can walk to HS from these hotels but it’s about 15-20 min walk). As for getting to Magic Kingdom busses to Contemporary (walk 10 mins) or Polynesian (walk 10-15 mins to TTC) are super convenient also. Just really gauge it on the lines on which routes to go.

2) This is a trick you should practice. However, I wouldn’t consider it manipulating Fastpass times as Fastpass+ is an actively monitored system (met the main programmer once for it at the park randomly) and searching repeatedly is checking for cancellations prior to the park arrival day. Now I 100% recommend searching throughout the day when at the park because it is actively monitored. So if they need to draw crowds aware from other rides they will/do open Fastpass times during the day when you otherwise thought it was sold out. Fastpass at WDW is very different than DL there is t a set amount given out (except nighttime spectaculars) it’s all based on active capacity at the park (when looking that day, preplanning is based on projected capacities). Remember finding Fastpasses to sold out rides is really more successful day of for the active crowds whereas prior to that day you are mostly trying to catch cancellations. Often times the big rides FOP, slinky, 7 Dwarf are sold out Fastpasses 60+ days. In fact you usually can make them only 64+ days out if preplanning. If you stay on site you make Fastpass reservations 60 days out plus length of stay so that’s why they disappear earlier than 60 days. Also club level guests can buy 3 extra Fastpasses they can make 90 days out.

3) Some rides I’ve gotten day of Thanksgiving week for a party of 4: all of them (yep just takes some patience in looking which I do while waiting in lines). I can’t think of one ride I couldn’t get it. I just actively search during the day since it is an actively monitored system not based on a strict capacity amount. The easier (big ticket rides) to get are HS: Toy Story, Rock’n, Tower of Terror, Beauty and the Beast; AK: Expedition, Kali, Safari, Lion King (amazing show worth doing); MK: everything but 7 Dwarf (not worth anymore that 5-10 min wait IMO); Epcot: everything but Frozen (however this past year I got Frozen twice same day looking day of). I always clump my original 3 Fastpasses together early afternoon (10-11 start times) so I can pick more at a reasonable hour and get good stuff. In general I don’t wait standby lines at WDW unless they are 30 mins or less.

Some general hints do Park Hop never stay in the same park (security is minimal concern as they have large number of lines and without a bag it’s super easy). While some DL vets seem to suggest against this I say do it for food and a set of rides. It’s worth it if you will spend 2-3 hours the next park. I Park Hop especially when I can get good Fastpasses day of. It’s jusy different than DL in that you can’t really Park Hop for 1 rise back and forth. That is my opinion. Avoid parks in the morning that have Extra Morning Magic Hours they will be packed. Epcot has the best food in the parks hands down (all in WS). MK has the worst food (but some great stuff is to be found like Sleepy Hollow, Casey’s Corner, and Friars Nook).

Also while the monorail seems iconic it is often slower transportation. So MK to Epcot they suggest the Monorail sometimes they will run buses direct between the two when busy. Or going to TTC from MK take the Ferry Boat (if a huge line for the monorail) fits a lot of people.

Transportation Map: http://www.wdwfocus.com/img/map/wdw-transport-map-full.png

Transportation Guide: https://wdwprepschool.com/how-to-na...rld-transportation/#Traveling_between_resorts

The guide is super convenient you pick any starting location and ending location it tells you how to get there.

Hopefully that covers a lot. They are two different animals of Resorts and should be treated as such and appreciated as such. Resort hop too. Grand Californian is themed amazingly but know imagine 10-15 (depending who you ask) hotels that are themed just as well. While each hotel at WDW technically have a theme some are not that great. POP, Poly, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom, Port Orleans French Quarter are some of my favorite. Plus some hotels have amazing food.

Wow, truly continue to be blown away by the outpouring if help on these boards, thank you so much for all this seriously.

You even covered things I needed to know but had not thought to ask.

I know most keep telling me not to hop, but I think I am going to want to. I dont want esp since I am going to be there 7 days. Half park a day seems totally reasonable esp if I want to take a break mid day and then head back but to another park.

If I have any more questions I will be sure to inbox you.

Thank you again!!

If I bought my Sig Pass in OCT, does buying this premiere now Mean it also ends in OCT?
Correct, it would use the same date as your current DL AP. So if that is an issue, you many come out ahead still just upgrading to a separate WDW AP if you have more trips planned and get the full year out of it.

One thing about Magic Bands - don't pack them, as you will need them to check in at the Magical Express queue in MCO. And once you're on the bus, go ahead and do your hotel check-in through the Disney World app. After a few minutes you'll then get a text message with your hotel room number and you can bypass the hotel check-in desk and use the MB to unlock your room door. (Our recent trip was our first to WDW in over a decade, so this was all new to us.)

Also, if a ride you have a FP for is broken down, you'll get a text message saying that your FP has been enhanced to cover any ride in the park. In our case we just went on to our dinner reservations and then returned to the same ride that was now operating. (Frozen in EPCOT)

One thing about Magic Bands - don't pack them, as you will need them to check in at the Magical Express queue in MCO. And once you're on the bus, go ahead and do your hotel check-in through the Disney World app. After a few minutes you'll then get a text message with your hotel room number and you can bypass the hotel check-in desk and use the MB to unlock your room door. (Our recent trip was our first to WDW in over a decade, so this was all new to us.)

Also, if a ride you have a FP for is broken down, you'll get a text message saying that your FP has been enhanced to cover any ride in the park. In our case we just went on to our dinner reservations and then returned to the same ride that was now operating. (Frozen in EPCOT)
There will be some restrictions on FP issued when rides break. Just pay attention to the messages on the app it will list what they are not valid for. Also they no longer fulfill the requirement of 3 fast passes needing to be used at the same park before being allowed to switch parks. So just book an easy attraction to "burn" the 3 so you can switch parks or discuss with a cast member and they can waive that requirement because of a broken ride.

Oh, one more thing that’s a must do that you can’t see in California— you must stop and observe the Maleficent dragon in the parade at MK. She’s back after a little “incident” but this is a very special float.

Wow... I was just scanning all those grat posts here!

Thanks!

Lots of information and exactly what I need because I am considering a trip to WDW next year... I wish I could have squeezed it in this year but I just don’t have time to plan and that much I have already learned: you gotta plan a lot for WDW and don’t just show up like at DL...
And I was really wondering if something like a WDW guide for DL vets existed because I already got quite lost in the WDW forums... there are just so many different sub forums ;)

For me I typically would book FPs at 9-10, 10-11 and 11-12. And I would try and hit #3 right on the dot (actually 5 minutes early) at 10:55AM. As soon as I scan my MagicBand (MB) for the FP, and am walking to the ride, and before I get on the ride, if possible, I make another FP reservation for a #4. I have had great luck with this strategy on getting FPs for everything except the top 1 or 2 rides in the entire resort.
How do you do this? I thought you had to go to a kiosk to book additional FPs?

Thank you for this post! I just booked the most impromptu WDW trip YESTERDAY for March 10th. My best friend from another state is headed to a conference and my husband is able to stay home with the kiddos so I'm flying to meet her. My immediate thought was to come on the DIS and find a WDW guide for DL vets. I haven't been to WDW since I was 16 years old in high school. I'm now 39 and can't wait. I realize this is going to be a whole mess of last-minute planning but with no kids I feel much better about my chances to see and do a lot. I'll be solo at the parks for most of the days and hanging out with my friend at night after her conferences end.

Thank you kind DISers for sharing all your knowledge. This is so overwhelming especially when I have less than 2 weeks to plan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter