Heading to WDW for First time. Need Help From DLR Vets.

When we went to WDW this past summer, we didn't go to HS. We did 3 days at MK, 1 day at Epcot, and a half day at AK. I'd rate them in order from best to worst being MK, AK, and Epcot. Wish we could have spent more time at AK, but we were there in June and it was so oppressively hot...and none of us were feeling very well by the time we left AK.

Personally, I hated Epcot. SO much walking. Wanted to take photopass pics in front of that big giant ball thingy, but no PP photographers were out. Did NOT like Future World. It felt like a 1980s office park in Silicon Valley and it was kind of hard to find stuff because a lot of the buildings seemed to all look the same. And yes, that was even with me looking at signs & consulting the map. Haha! I also wish there was some sort of transportation to get from Future World easily over to the international section. We didn't even go to half of the international area because we'd had enough. Epcot seemed to be more about food, booze, & shopping. My kids did NOT enjoy Epcot at ALL.

And that Figment ride seriously needs a replacement. In the interactive play area which kids can play in after you get off the ride, more than half of the interactive play stations weren't even working. I'm talking not working as in it's showing a Windows server error message on the screen kind of thing. Eek!

Test Track was fun, but RSR is better in my opinion. Test Track cars feel like they go faster. Designing your own 'car' was something my kids enjoyed, but they were disappointed that their design didn't show up on our ride vehicle like the RSR car color changes sometimes in the body shop before you head off to your race (well, it changes color in the mirror if that effect is working...sometimes it doesn't work). The Soarin' queue at Epcot is boring & pathetic compared to at DCA in my opinion. When you first enter that ride building, it looks like a food court from an 80s shopping mall. I was really unimpressed.

We go to WDW about once a year

Stay at a disney resort, economy is fine
No car, take the busses
Stay longer, after 4 days it's like $10 a day
Slow down, there is a lot to see, do not kill yourself trying to do it all
Get fast passes and restaurant reservations
Go late at night, most people go for the open and drop out by 9
Disney Springs and the Waterparks are also fun
Get the photo pass
Don't waste time and money going to anything other than disney, you have plenty to see on a first trip
Do not get freaked out by rain, they don't seem to mind, and rain means buckets

We are debating renting a car since we will be there 7 days, we only intend on park hopping from 1 park to another and doing half days at each, and only really doing that 2 or 3 times, the hopper was only an extra 58 dollars i think for me to get it so we said why the heck not.

If we did rent said car, does parking in 1 park cover parking in the next, and is this worth it in general? Does it cut the time down that hopping can take?

also to both responders that took the time to respond in such detail, thank you so much.

How would you rate the parks. Up until a year to so ago, I would have probably never gone to EPCOT or AK, but I have done so much research and watched videos that I am so excited for EPCOT...AK still not so much BUT i REALLY wanna ride EE and im excited to see how similar Dinosaur really is to Indy
parking is good all day, and free if you are in a disney hotel. But for instance at MK, parking means park, take a shuttle, get off and wait for a monorail, its a pain, the busses drop you off at the entrance.

He always do hoppers, but I would not rec them if you have little kids. Usually a park during the day and the epcot beer walk at night

If you pay to park at one park, yes, you can move to another park and not pay again. If you stay in a Disney owned hotel, you do not have to pay to park at the parks. But you do have to pay at your hotel, so they will get you for parking one way or another if you have a car. I prefer to fly and take the Magical Express since they enacted the parking fee and do without a car. Magical Express (Disney's airport shuttle) is free if you are staying in a Disney owned hotel and flying into MCO.

As a WDW veteran that has made 2 trips to DL, I can add a couple observations about going to WDW. First off, if you are staying on property I would not put much value in extra magic hours — they are awesome in California, but in Florida we’ve found ourselves heading to parks without that option (especially morning). Just simply too many hotels enjoying the perk. Don’t buy into the idea that AK is a half day park — it is absolutely stunning, filled with so many nooks and crannies to explore, and some of the best shows at WDW. Slow down and enjoy the offerings each park has. Realize you will not see everything (I have been 10 times and there are still things on my check off list). Bring great shoes and body glide — your feet will be tired, DL & CA are far more intimate. Park hopping to Epcot for dinner is common. Oh, do Blizzard Beach or Typhoon lagoon for half a day and then head over to DIsney Springs for dinner one day. And, consider touring some of the wonderful resorts when crowds get to thick. Did I mention bring really great shoes? And, prepare by walking 5 miles or more a few times before you go? Have Fun!

Last edited:

tagging on here as I'm a DL veteran heading to WDW in December.
Its worth a trip, more DLs should give it a try. Some things are the same, but so much more, its huge.

The Magical Express is a highlight and free, would not want to lose it with a car rental. Also if you can fit it in your budget the moderate hotels are really the best deal, super nice grounds and good dining. Port Orleans and Riverside are really nice. The biggest difference between anaheim and orlando is you need more time, it is not a 2-3 day trip.

So basically you mean I have to have ACTUALLY used 3 FP before I can book a tier 1. And if I cancel my 3rd FP i will need to have booked another Tier 2 AND used it before I can book a tier 1 again?

Your 3 original FP+ can include one tier 1. It is correct that if you are in the same park, you have to have used all 3 FPs before you can book another Tier 1. The best thing to do if you don't want the 3rd is to modify it to anything you can find that kicks in immediately and then go to that ride and either do it, or scan the FP in so the computer thinks you used it.

Now--- when you are hopping you can book 2 in one park ahead of time including a tier one and then when you arrive at the other park, you can book a Tier 1, IF there are Tier 1 available.

You should definitely go to EPCOT and AK. When we go to Disneyland, the only thing we really miss is EPCOT- especially World Showcase. AK used to be our least favorite park and not a full day park for us, but Pandora has changed that. It really is amazing. Flight of Passage is incredible-- you should definitely try the refresh method to pull a FP for that one, if you can't get one before your trip. I know some people are critical of Navi, but I like dark rides and I really enjoy that too. EE is great. Dinosaur stinks. I love Indy-- I hate Dinosaur!

We are debating renting a car since we will be there 7 days, we only intend on park hopping from 1 park to another and doing half days at each, and only really doing that 2 or 3 times, the hopper was only an extra 58 dollars i think for me to get it so we said why the heck not.

If we did rent said car, does parking in 1 park cover parking in the next, and is this worth it in general? Does it cut the time down that hopping can take?

We met friends on one trip. They had a vehicle because they live in Florida and drove to WDW and we used Disney transportation. We tested it going from park to park, and from the parks back to our resort at night and were surprised to find that the time it took either way was almost the same. We would walk out of a park together and end up at the meeting spot at the other park at almost exactly the same time. Sometimes we were walking up at the same time, other times one group would beat the other by 5 minutes. For a car, you have to figure walking/tram from the park gate all the way to your car and then the traffic getting in and out of the parking lots. For MK, you don't just park the car and walk in-- if you drive yourself you have to take the ferry or monorail to the gate from the TTC-- the Disney bus takes you to the gates. We like just taking Magical Express from the airport and not worrying about dealing with the rental costs; any parking costs, etc. and just letting Disney cart us everywhere. We also discovered on our trip last October, that you can have uber at the resort in about 3 minutes if you want it.

As a WDW veteran that hasn’t made 2 trips to DL, I can add a couple observations about going to WDW. First off, if you are staying on property I would not put much value in extra magic hours — they are awesome in California, but in Florida we’ve found ourselves heading to parks without that option (especially morning). Just simply too many hotels enjoying the perk. Don’t buy into the idea that AK is a half day park — it is absolutely stunning, filled with so many nooks and crannies to explore, and some of the best shows at WDW. Slow down and enjoy the offerings each park has. Realize you will not see everything (I have been 10 times and there are still things on my check off list). Bring great shoes and body glide — your feet will be tired, DL & CA are far more intimate. Park hopping to Epcot for dinner is common. Oh, do Blizzard Beach or Typhoon lagoon for half a day and then head over to DIsney Springs for dinner one day. And, consider touring some of the wonderful resorts when crowds get to thick. Did I mention bring really great shoes? And, prepare by walking 5 miles or more a few times before you go? Have Fun!

Body Glide is the best!! Haven't ever gotten a blister at WDW or DLR since I started using it. We don't ever plan to spend the day at the park with EMH-- it typically will be the more crowded park. We don't mess with morning EMH (we aren't morning people- rope drop is hard enough), but with hoppers, we do sometimes hop to a park for evening EMH and have really enjoyed that and had success with it. I think they have cut back on the evening EMH hours though. Some people will go to a morning EMH and then hop at regular opening-- we haven't ever done that so I can't tell you whether it is a waste of time.

I think you mentioned that your 30 day window for FP is open--- so you must be staying offsite? If you are, then just pick a park that doesn't have EMH that day if you can.

The only parks worth driving your own car to are the water parks in my opinion because you can park close and walk if you get there around opening time. All the other parks are a pain to park in (long lines to get into parking as people are paying etc), then long walk or tram ride to the actual park entry gates, and then all in reverse on the way to park hop or home. We used to use the buses but they are just too frustrating for me these days after so many trips. We now stay in the Epcot resorts so we can at least walk to 2 of the 4 parks. We Lyft or Minnie Van (when it wasn’t outrageously expensive like it is now) to the MK and AK. Sometimes we use the buses or boats to park hop IF we have time to kill and aren’t in a hurry.

Magic Kingdom is especially frustrating to drive to. There is a lake between the parking lot and the park. You must go through the transportation and ticket center and either get on a ferry or monorail to get to the park and it can get really crowded at busy times. When taking a bus from a Disney hotel, you skip all that and get dropped off in front of the park.

My friend works at hilton so we can stay at the doubletree next to disney springs for like $45 a night so thats why we are staying off property.

How does the refresh trick work if the ride says out of FP. Do i just keep refreshing until it shows available. I thought you had to be able to book a time slot period. And then modify it.

Is there any chance of getting slinky dog or 7DMT same day? Im not worried about flight of passage because unfortunately everyone ive seen who is my build 6'3 350lb says its not fit for bigger guys who are also tall.

MODS I know this might not belong here:

I know this isnt the place to talk WDW, but as someone who only uses these boards and only has been to DL. Where can I go to get as much help about WDW as I did get for DL back when I found Disboards?

Just wanted to talk some basic FP+ strategy and the home page of Disboards doesnt seem as straight forward.

Thank you
Start with this:
WDW for DLR Vets: www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636.
Happy trip planning! :)
(I modified your thread title to keep it here -- and because I think you want a specific POV for the advice and tips on WDW. Hope this was okay!)
My WDW Guide is really dated. Sorry. I have been super busy the last couple years but still have plans to write a really good one.

I read through the posts here and there is SO MUCH good info from other posters. I am going to just work my way through and make some comments here and there!

:wizard:

1) If the morning times are already pretty much booked up for 2 of the 3 rides we want to book, is it better to instead book them early afternoon, lets say 12, 1 and 2 and then rope drop at a different park early and then park hop to that one?
I for one agree with some of the PPs to avoid parkhopping if at all possible. Some WDW vets like to do it, but most DLR vets will find it hugely frustrating and a waste of precious time.

Regardless, whether you are hopping or not, I strongly believe in the "morning FP+" strategy if you can make rope drop. Which is about as important at WDW as DLR.

For me I typically would book FPs at 9-10, 10-11 and 11-12. And I would try and hit #3 right on the dot (actually 5 minutes early) at 10:55AM. As soon as I scan my MagicBand (MB) for the FP, and am walking to the ride, and before I get on the ride, if possible, I make another FP reservation for a #4. I have had great luck with this strategy on getting FPs for everything except the top 1 or 2 rides in the entire resort.

If you park hop, then as soon as you do FP #3 in the first park, either your #4 FP for the first park, or make one for the second park so when you arrive you are set to do a FP ride.

2) I know there is a trick to manipulate fastpass times but going into modify and then going out and doing this many times until u find something closer to the time you'd like, i was able to get this done a few times, but it doesnt seem as easy as some youtube tip videos make it out to be, it took me about 20 mins and about 25 attempts to get Space mountain from 12:45 to 11:35, but what about doing this trick to snatch up a fastpass for a ride such as 7DMT or Slinky dog thats already sold out, I thought I heard this was possible
Yes you can do that trick. Also, doing refresh a lot helps. But then you may find yourself constantly on your phone and ignoring your family. YMMV. So be careful.

3) To continue with the last bulletin, i know that once you use all 3 FP+ you can start picking freely almost like with Maxpass, but on day of, what realistically is open to choose from? If rides like Toy Story, and Aerosmith Big thunder ETC are already booked up until afternoon 30 days out, wont they be sold out by day of? I read sometimes if your 3rd FP is much further out than you would like that canceling it entirely is the best option so you can start booking freely quicker
I have found all of those rides pretty easy to get with FP #4 and on. When I have gone to MK it has been pretty easy to get like 10 FPs in a day.

As for canceling FPs, see my answer to Question #1. I think the strategy of early FPs is better when you will get to the park early.

IMO the only good reasons for pre-booking a late FP is 1) you plan to arrive late for whatever reason or 2) it is the only way to get a super popular ride like FOP or SDD.

Also Trip dates March 1st -8th (leaving the 8th, no park that day)
Hey I will be at the parks Mar 2, 3 and 6, mixed in with some business visits LOL. I am staying onsite so am lucky to have my FPs already for FOP, SDD and 7DMT (the hardest 3 to get). :goodvibes

Last edited:
I would say giving point 1, park hopping is a lot harder in WDW compared to Disneyland.
TouringPlans just finished a report that said on average a bus comes 90% of the time within 5minutes but that wasn't my personal experience. At AK we waited 25minutes for a bus to MK. Plus travel, then security, then gates, then to the parks. I dont know if its better to keep to the same back unti 3/4 and then park hop to another park.
Totally agree. I estimate time from the inside of one park to inside another at 75-90 minutes. Nothing like DLR where you make that happen in 5 minutes more often than not.

Yeah, park hopping didn't happen nearly as much as we hoped. And WDW is so much bigger and exhausting, it was just easier to stay put. Unless you're between 2 convenient parks like epcot and hollywood studios. I think Magic Kingdom and Epcot is doable too. I wouldn't try it with others.
Agreed.

My general advice if you're used to DL & this is 1st time to WDW:
  1. Try not to compare DL to WDW. It feels like almost EVERYTHING has a FP at WDW. I felt very frustrated at times about this. Rides at DL which would be pretty easy to get onto with a "day of" FP were pretty impossible at WDW.
I agree. WDW takes a different mindset than DLR and it can feel frustrating. IMO FP+ does have its good points but a DLR vet focused on rides may never really feel that way LOL.

1. Getting from 1 place to another takes A REALLY LONG TIME! We stayed at an All Star resort. Getting to the parks took sometimes over an hour and that was first thing in the morning. It was enough of a huge pain in the neck that if we go back, I'd want to rent a car just so I don't have to rely on Disney transportation. One morning, we waited for the bus to MK for 45 minutes before one arrived. We missed rope drop entirely because of that.
I totally agree. WDW vets tend to just accept this as normal because for them it is normal. For DLR vets it can be super frustrating. Best bet is to always allow lots of extra time and use the transportation time as time to relax and socialize and cool off LOL.

1. Meeting characters is much harder at WDW. Especially if you want to meet Mickey Mouse...you pretty much have to use a FP+ for it to meet him at MK or wait 45-60 min. I really missed being able to walk into Toon Town 1 hour after regular DL park opening and head straight to his house to meet him & take a pic w/him with practically no wait!
I am not really a character person but my limited experience confirms this.

1. I do NOT care for the FP+ system. I think that DL's FP system, especially with Max Pass is far superior. But there's nothing you can do about the WDW FP system. We really enjoyed experiencing a lot of the unpopular/not-as-popular attractions that WDW had to offer which are not at DL. For example, the Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland. Basically waited 5 min for that. Country Bear Jamboree. Waited 5 min for that, too. Tom Sawyer's Island...so much bigger than at DL! Lots of neat places to explore there. Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. The train around MK was a LOT of fun.
In defense of FP+, one huge advantage over MP is that you can plan for late arrival on some days and still be set up fine for the most popular rides. I often plan one or two days of rest days where we spend a day by the pool then head to a park in the evening for awhile to ride a few rides and see a show. At DLR you can forget about FPs during busy times if you arrive in the evening. At WDW you can reserve the big rides for the evening and be all set. I like that.

Overall I am a rope drop type person and MP and DLR works for me because the early bird gets the worm. At WDW they have made it so late arrivers are not punished so badly which I think is kind of cool.

1. Pirates of the Caribbean is half the length of the DL version and while it was fun, I was disappointed and missed the DL version. So we only went on it once. With a FP+ that I'd reserved ahead of time.
No other way to slice it, POTC at DL is the best in the world. Except for SDL which is different and awesome I hear. But then MK has PhilharMagic which is just so fun and upbeat!

Last edited:
Yes.
You'll have to go from HS to the TTC and then take a bus to AK. OR pay for a couple of Minnie Vans to take your group there directly.
I use Uber regularly at WDW when I want to go direct somewhere and am short on time. $10 and you are good. Well worth it in some instance. Minnie Vans are same thing I understand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter