Heading to WDW for First time. Need Help From DLR Vets.

Drew Perri

Mouseketeer
MODS I know this might not belong here:

I know this isnt the place to talk WDW, but as someone who only uses these boards and only has been to DL. Where can I go to get as much help about WDW as I did get for DL back when I found Disboards?

Just wanted to talk some basic FP+ strategy and the home page of Disboards doesnt seem as straight forward.

Thank you

Start with this:
WDW for DLR Vets: www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636.
Happy trip planning! :)
(I modified your thread title to keep it here -- and because I think you want a specific POV for the advice and tips on WDW. Hope this was okay!)
Thats pretty much exactly what i was hoping for. Instead of addressing the mods i almost addressed you directly lucky.

Thank you!

I read through some of that before I posted and was hoping to get some more specific questions/strategies answered.

Our 30 day window is already open and as i figured the 7 dwarfs. Slinky dash etc are sold out.

I have a few questions ill post here once i get back to my computer where its easier to type haha

basically a few of the things i had questions about as far as strategy were:

1) If the morning times are already pretty much booked up for 2 of the 3 rides we want to book, is it better to instead book them early afternoon, lets say 12, 1 and 2 and then rope drop at a different park early and then park hop to that one?

2) I know there is a trick to manipulate fastpass times but going into modify and then going out and doing this many times until u find something closer to the time you'd like, i was able to get this done a few times, but it doesnt seem as easy as some youtube tip videos make it out to be, it took me about 20 mins and about 25 attempts to get Space mountain from 12:45 to 11:35, but what about doing this trick to snatch up a fastpass for a ride such as 7DMT or Slinky dog thats already sold out, I thought I heard this was possible

3) To continue with the last bulletin, i know that once you use all 3 FP+ you can start picking freely almost like with Maxpass, but on day of, what realistically is open to choose from? If rides like Toy Story, and Aerosmith Big thunder ETC are already booked up until afternoon 30 days out, wont they be sold out by day of? I read sometimes if your 3rd FP is much further out than you would like that canceling it entirely is the best option so you can start booking freely quicker

Thats all i could think of for now, Im sure as my planning gets more in depth I will have more

thank you in advance

Also Trip dates March 1st -8th (leaving the 8th, no park that day)

I would say giving point 1, park hopping is a lot harder in WDW compared to Disneyland.
TouringPlans just finished a report that said on average a bus comes 90% of the time within 5minutes but that wasn't my personal experience. At AK we waited 25minutes for a bus to MK. Plus travel, then security, then gates, then to the parks. I dont know if its better to keep to the same back unti 3/4 and then park hop to another park.

Yeah, park hopping didn't happen nearly as much as we hoped. And WDW is so much bigger and exhausting, it was just easier to stay put. Unless you're between 2 convenient parks like epcot and hollywood studios. I think Magic Kingdom and Epcot is doable too. I wouldn't try it with others.

As for FP+ the day of, we found a decent amount. I also found breaking our group into 2 and 2 helped finding more availability, and the times even overlapped so we could still go together. We booked our selections all as soon as possible so we could book more as we went, all the while checking for sooner times for our existing. Bring a back up phone battery!

If you are staying onsite, you will want to be online at 7:00am Eastern time 60 days before your trip to book your fastpass+. You'll probably want to do some research on what rides you want and it helps to book the hottest fastpasses towards the end of your trip. I believe Flight of Passage is still the most difficult fastpass to get. If you are staying offsite, you likely won't get that one as offsite guests can't book until 30 days out. It's one of the ways WDW encourages guests to stay in their hotels. And yes, if you book all 3 in the morning, it will help you to get more fastpasses since you can't get more until you've completed your 3 fastpass+ selections. I believe all of the parks except Magic Kingdom work on a tiered system...you only get one selection from tier 1 (which will be the most popular choices) and the others have to be tier 2.

As far as parkhopping, I never get hoppers. I'm only getting them for our upcoming trip because I have to...they are required when booking under the free dining promotion. It takes a heck of a lot longer to get anywhere in WDW vs. DL so I personally don't think they are worth it.

Is hoping from H.S to A.K gonna be an issue, the group is rather large as well for that day, every other day it will just be me and someone else, and saturday I will actually be alone for the very first time at any Disney park, I am nervous but excited

basically a few of the things i had questions about as far as strategy were:

1) If the morning times are already pretty much booked up for 2 of the 3 rides we want to book, is it better to instead book them early afternoon, lets say 12, 1 and 2 and then rope drop at a different park early and then park hop to that one?

2) I know there is a trick to manipulate fastpass times but going into modify and then going out and doing this many times until u find something closer to the time you'd like, i was able to get this done a few times, but it doesnt seem as easy as some youtube tip videos make it out to be, it took me about 20 mins and about 25 attempts to get Space mountain from 12:45 to 11:35, but what about doing this trick to snatch up a fastpass for a ride such as 7DMT or Slinky dog thats already sold out, I thought I heard this was possible

3) To continue with the last bulletin, i know that once you use all 3 FP+ you can start picking freely almost like with Maxpass, but on day of, what realistically is open to choose from? If rides like Toy Story, and Aerosmith Big thunder ETC are already booked up until afternoon 30 days out, wont they be sold out by day of? I read sometimes if your 3rd FP is much further out than you would like that canceling it entirely is the best option so you can start booking freely quicker

Thats all i could think of for now, Im sure as my planning gets more in depth I will have more

thank you in advance

Also Trip dates March 1st -8th (leaving the 8th, no park that day)

Our 1st family WDW was this past summer and we are DL veterans. Answers to your question are first, then followed by my general thoughts & advice:

Question #1:
Yes, but it depends on what time your morning park opens and what time you'll really get to the a.m. park. So for example, if the a.m. park opens at 9:00 but you don't get there until 10:00 am because somebody slept in or you're tired or the Disney transportation is behind schedule, then just plan on adjusting your morning plans accordingly. Also, based on which park the a.m. park is and which park is the afternoon park with your FP+, transportation from Park #1 to Park #2 can take awhile. Plan on 1-1.5 hours. No kidding. Then if you get to Park #2 before you had originally planned, that's icing on the cake.

Question #2:
Doing what you're asking about is more likely if it's not a huge group of people who you are trying to get modified FPs for. On disboards, I've read of people having some success with groups of 1-4 people. But beyond 4 and your odds become very slim. Very few rides at WDW have single rider line, unfortunately.

Question #3:
You should count on NOT being able to get last minute FPs the "day of" for very popular rides. Then if you luck out and are able to grab one, that's great! But don't count on it. If there is one "MUST DO" ride at a particular park and you are NOT able to get a FP for it, you have 3 options of riding it:
(a) get to that park's main gate WAY early before park opening. Best to do this on a day that this park does NOT have EMH. Then walk with the rest of the horde to that ride (think: Slinky Dog Dash or Pandora Flight of Passage).
(b) get in line for the attraction just before the park closes. We did this for Flight of Passage. We got in line 10 min before AK closed for the night. 5 min after that, they closed the stand by line. And when that happened, the stand by line sped up a lot because there were no more FP people entering. Published wait time was 120 minutes. We got on the ride about 45 min after the park closed.
(c) wait in the insanely long line with the rest of the world.

My general advice if you're used to DL & this is 1st time to WDW:
  1. Try not to compare DL to WDW. It feels like almost EVERYTHING has a FP at WDW. I felt very frustrated at times about this. Rides at DL which would be pretty easy to get onto with a "day of" FP were pretty impossible at WDW.
  2. Getting from 1 place to another takes A REALLY LONG TIME! We stayed at an All Star resort. Getting to the parks took sometimes over an hour and that was first thing in the morning. It was enough of a huge pain in the neck that if we go back, I'd want to rent a car just so I don't have to rely on Disney transportation. One morning, we waited for the bus to MK for 45 minutes before one arrived. We missed rope drop entirely because of that.
  3. Meeting characters is much harder at WDW. Especially if you want to meet Mickey Mouse...you pretty much have to use a FP+ for it to meet him at MK or wait 45-60 min. I really missed being able to walk into Toon Town 1 hour after regular DL park opening and head straight to his house to meet him & take a pic w/him with practically no wait!
  4. I do NOT care for the FP+ system. I think that DL's FP system, especially with Max Pass is far superior. But there's nothing you can do about the WDW FP system. We really enjoyed experiencing a lot of the unpopular/not-as-popular attractions that WDW had to offer which are not at DL. For example, the Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland. Basically waited 5 min for that. Country Bear Jamboree. Waited 5 min for that, too. Tom Sawyer's Island...so much bigger than at DL! Lots of neat places to explore there. Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. The train around MK was a LOT of fun.
  5. Pirates of the Caribbean is half the length of the DL version and while it was fun, I was disappointed and missed the DL version. So we only went on it once. With a FP+ that I'd reserved ahead of time.

Is hoping from H.S to A.K gonna be an issue, the group is rather large as well for that day, every other day it will just be me and someone else, and saturday I will actually be alone for the very first time at any Disney park, I am nervous but excited

Yes.
You'll have to go from HS to the TTC and then take a bus to AK. OR pay for a couple of Minnie Vans to take your group there directly.

We are WDW vets, that have also been going to DL every summer for the 9 years.

1. 1) If the morning times are already pretty much booked up for 2 of the 3 rides we want to book, is it better to instead book them early afternoon, lets say 12, 1 and 2 and then rope drop at a different park early and then park hop to that one?

I would recommend booking them in the early afternoon, but going to that park and doing other things in the morning until your FP+ times. You can try move them earlier by the "refresh" method once you are in the park that day. With just 2 people, you might have some success at that. For someone who has only been to DL, I would recommend keeping the hopping at a minimum on your first trip. It can take an hour, and sometimes more, to get between parks unlike DLR where it takes about 5 minutes to park hop. It will really eat up your day if you hop too much. Epcot/HS are the easiest to hop between because they are walking distance (probably about twice the distance as getting from the Disneyland Hotel to the parks- about a 20 minute walk), or if you don't want to walk, you can take the boat. We usually take the boat if we see it at the dock or close to being there and the line is short enough that we will get on that boat, but if we don't we just walk it. One time, the boat was pulling away from the dock and we just missed it, so we walked to DHS, and we got there just ahead of the boat. Hopping is fine for those occasions when you need to hop to get to certain night time entertainment, or you could only get a certain ADR on a certain day, or if you are people who take a mid day break and are leaving the first park anyway. Just don't plan on going back and forth quite a bit because it will eat up time quickly. We hop around some, but we are very familiar with the parks, transportation .

2. I know there is a trick to manipulate fastpass times but going into modify and then going out and doing this many times until u find something closer to the time you'd like, i was able to get this done a few times, but it doesnt seem as easy as some youtube tip videos make it out to be, it took me about 20 mins and about 25 attempts to get Space mountain from 12:45 to 11:35, but what about doing this trick to snatch up a fastpass for a ride such as 7DMT or Slinky dog thats already sold out, I thought I heard this was possible

We have done it with a lot of success, but we are a group of 3. The day you have the larger group it is going to be pretty difficult. Also, it is a lot easier to do the same day when you are already in the park than ahead of time. Things fluctuate quite a bit the day you are there-- things can open up. When we were there last October, we were easily able to pull Flight of Passage with refresh and could have ridden it many times- it is all luck, party size, and whether a lot of other people are changing things around. I had absolutely no luck with Slinky Dog and I tried for at least a solid hour.

3. To continue with the last bulletin, i know that once you use all 3 FP+ you can start picking freely almost like with Maxpass, but on day of, what realistically is open to choose from? If rides like Toy Story, and Aerosmith Big thunder ETC are already booked up until afternoon 30 days out, wont they be sold out by day of? I read sometimes if your 3rd FP is much further out than you would like that canceling it entirely is the best option so you can start booking freely quicker

MaxPass is far superior to FP+. We really dislike the FP+ system. Because 3 are booked in advance instead of one at a time, it can make it difficult to get things that day, especially if you are a big group. It is all a matter of luck. The best thing to do is just to book anything you can get, and then use refresh to try to change it to something you prefer. Don't cancel your 3rd in a tier one park because you have to burn the 3 before you can get another tier one. Just move it for anything that is close in time and then go scan in to that one even if you decide not to ride/do it. You can book two in one park with a Tier one, and if you hop to another tiered park, you will be able to get a Tier 1 there (if any are available)-- if you stay in the same park, you have to burn 3 to get another tier 1.

There is a bus directly from HS to AK. It won't be an issue except for the fact that it takes time. AK is not near anything. I think it is about 4.5 miles from DHS. Also, I'm not sure the status of the HS bus stop right now-- they have been doing construction for the skyliner and at least last fall, the bus stop had moved and it was a hike from where it normally it. Not sure if it is moved back yet. When you hop, you have to take into account walking to the bus stop from the parks, waiting 20 minutes for the bus (if you are lucky it will be shorter-- if you are very unlikely it will be longer), the drive, and then walking from the bus stop to the park gate.

If you need more WDW information-- the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies forum is a great place to ask questions.

Last edited:
Yes.
You'll have to go from HS to the TTC and then take a bus to AK. OR pay for a couple of Minnie Vans to take your group there directly.

There is a bus directly between DHS and AK. All of the parks have transportation to the other parks. It is DTD that does not have transportation direct to the parks because years ago too many people were parking there for free (taking parking away from the shoppers) and taking buses direct to the parks.

I am so glad you posted this! We are considering a WDW trip October 2020 for a Girl Scout event, and I'm not sure how much in advance I should start planning. This is all really great information!

We are WDW vets, that have also been going to DL every summer for the 9 years.

MaxPass is far superior to FP+. We really dislike the FP+ system. Because 3 are booked in advance instead of one at a time, it can make it difficult to get things that day, especially if you are a big group. It is all a matter of luck. The best thing to do is just to book anything you can get, and then use refresh to try to change it to something you prefer. Don't cancel your 3rd in a tier one park because you have to burn the 3 before you can get another tier one. Just move it for anything that is close in time and then go scan in to that one even if you decide not to ride/do it. You can book two in one park with a Tier one, and if you hop to another tiered park, you will be able to get a Tier 1 there (if any are available)-- if you stay in the same park, you have to burn 3 to get another tier 1.
So basically you mean I have to have ACTUALLY used 3 FP before I can book a tier 1. And if I cancel my 3rd FP i will need to have booked another Tier 2 AND used it before I can book a tier 1 again?

We are debating renting a car since we will be there 7 days, we only intend on park hopping from 1 park to another and doing half days at each, and only really doing that 2 or 3 times, the hopper was only an extra 58 dollars i think for me to get it so we said why the heck not.

If we did rent said car, does parking in 1 park cover parking in the next, and is this worth it in general? Does it cut the time down that hopping can take?

also to both responders that took the time to respond in such detail, thank you so much.

How would you rate the parks. Up until a year to so ago, I would have probably never gone to EPCOT or AK, but I have done so much research and watched videos that I am so excited for EPCOT...AK still not so much BUT i REALLY wanna ride EE and im excited to see how similar Dinosaur really is to Indy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter