HEA dessert party cancellation policy

iujen94

DIS Veteran
For some reason I couldn’t find the “official” HEA dessert party thread when I searched.

Can someone confirm the cancellation policy for the HEA dessert party? I don’t think it matters, but we are booked for the “before” party, with plaza garden viewing. We’re booked for Thursday night, and there are storms in the forecast - trying to figure out how long we have to decide whether to do it. Thanks!!

Should be in your email confirmation. Here's what mine says:

Cancel
- There is a 5 Day cancellation policy. Full price will be charged/forfeited if canceling within 5 Days or no show of the reservation.

I just noticed the 5 day cancellation policy and there are heavy showers in the forecast for Saturday night. I don't know what to do, we've never seen HEA and it's the only night it's scheduled to show during our trip. I hate intense crowds and that is why I booked the after-fireworks party. I will be really mad if I pay over $200 for just desserts with no fireworks, but I'll also be annoyed if I cancel and it ends up being a clear night. Obviously they have this policy in place so people can't cancel the night before due to a presumably more accurate weather forecast. Has anyone attended on a night when the fireworks were canceled due to weather? Do they offer any kind of compensation or is it just like a shrug of the shoulders and "you should have read the fine print?"

I just noticed the 5 day cancellation policy and there are heavy showers in the forecast for Saturday night. I don't know what to do, we've never seen HEA and it's the only night it's scheduled to show during our trip. I hate intense crowds and that is why I booked the after-fireworks party. I will be really mad if I pay over $200 for just desserts with no fireworks, but I'll also be annoyed if I cancel and it ends up being a clear night. Obviously they have this policy in place so people can't cancel the night before due to a presumably more accurate weather forecast. Has anyone attended on a night when the fireworks were canceled due to weather? Do they offer any kind of compensation or is it just like a shrug of the shoulders and "you should have read the fine print?"

I’ve been told that it’s very rare for the fireworks to be canceled completely (and we’ve sat in Mexico for over an hour during intense storms waiting to see if Illuminations would go - it did). A dessert party would seem like the best place to wait out storms if you have the before party. Not sure how that would work with the after party though.

We have the after party booked, and I booked it before I changed our lunch CP reservation to dinner to accommodate a different late breakfast ADR. CP has a huge dessert spread and that fact, coupled with the weather threat and the need to be at DHS early the next morning for SWGE, makes me inclined to cancel. Maybe someday I'll actually follow through on a dessert party booking but despite being willing to splurge on other overpriced things at WDW, something about the dessert parties makes me draw a line.

I’ve been told that it’s very rare for the fireworks to be canceled completely (and we’ve sat in Mexico for over an hour during intense storms waiting to see if Illuminations would go - it did). A dessert party would seem like the best place to wait out storms if you have the before party. Not sure how that would work with the after party though.
Correct, once set in place they will set the fireworks off. They have been so rarely cancelled at WDW I'm not sure anyone can give a date of the last time it happened. DL, probably happens weekly, but not WDW. You have a minuscule chance of no fireworks.
That doesn't always mean that it will be pleasant out while waiting for them mind you but they will go on. Dessert Parties too. I agree with you, if I had to wait somewhere, it would be on the terrace. I don't know that I'd keep an After party though. You won't have anywhere to go then, I don't guess.

This past July we did the after party. Of course it was delayed for storms. The delay for us was about an hour. They did give us a place to sit in the terrace (empty seats to the left past the check in station) and they also gave everyone free ponchos and bottles of water. No desserts tho of course. It was the first time we did the mk dessert party and idk, it wasn’t very magical... those stupid storms...

Correct, once set in place they will set the fireworks off. They have been so rarely cancelled at WDW I'm not sure anyone can give a date of the last time it happened. DL, probably happens weekly, but not WDW. You have a minuscule chance of no fireworks.
That doesn't always mean that it will be pleasant out while waiting for them mind you but they will go on. Dessert Parties too. I agree with you, if I had to wait somewhere, it would be on the terrace. I don't know that I'd keep an After party though. You won't have anywhere to go then, I don't guess.

DL fireworks cancellations aren’t all or nothing though. Last week one night only the really high ones weren’t set off (no Mickey and no grand finale) but there were still plenty of fireworks and of course the projection show and snowfall ending. During the summer no pyro went off one night but there was an alternative projection show (I’m assuming it was at the three locations but I saw it on Main Street) that was really good.

I need to update my reservation for this dessert party. I need to remove a member of my group but do not want to cancel entirely. Can I do this online or do I need to call?

I need to update my reservation for this dessert party. I need to remove a member of my group but do not want to cancel entirely. Can I do this online or do I need to call?

I think you need to call.

Assuming there is still availability, I'd just cancel entirely and re-book, unless you have some sort of complicated gift card situation or similar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!