He Just Came For The Food: A March 2018 Dining Report *update 9/22 S. Hollow/GF Cafe

Just caught up with all your reviews and pictures.
Looks great.
We made the mistake of ordering a kitchen sink at Beaches and then realised not only was it far too much ice cream but I couldn’t eat the bananas DD wouldn’t eat the mint and DS the peanut butter
Clearly didn’t think it through.

Have only had dinner at WCC, but that breakfast sure looks tasty! That's another one that needs to be added to the ever grooooooowing list...

Looks like a fun and tasty breakfast!
It was! We were happy we decided to eat there :)

I could get that size of diet coke in the morning and finish it! Too funny that she called you out on it ;)
:laughing: I didn't finish it but I drank more than half, that's for sure!

Something about a homemade cheddar biscuit sounds really good right now! I'm so sad to see you don't love biscuits!
I'm very sorry to disappoint you :( I usually like a bite or two, but I guess since I didn't grow up eating them they're not my favorite? Now bagels I'll take any day, any time :cloud9: Biscuits to me are just really dense.

I've heard about the funny things they do, like the ketchup bottles. I know they were going to tone it down, I guess from people complaining? But I think they went back to it because people complained it wasn't fun anymore.
Yeah it makes no sense at all. First they said they were stopping the antics due to customer complaints; then they changed it and said they were changing it because of new management, or because management didn't like the antics, or a combination of all 3. But while they were saying this guests were reporting everything was still going on, albeit "quieter". Nor all reports are either that they're happening but quieter, or happening the same as ever. I'm glad it looks like they didn't take them away (yet) but it doesn't seem like there was any reason to bring it up.

Haha poor girl! It's funny for me—I'm about to turn 25, and for some reason 20 doesn't seem THAT much younger, but 16 seems SO young?? :confused3
I get it! It probably depends on the individuals. Victoria just happens to.......have more in common with Ricky than Candace and the other 25 year old who was there. Ricky was making her laugh like crazy, while Candace was talking with me and Meghan (hey!) about the baby and some other things.

This is awesome!! Glad you had a good meet and hit it off!
I've really lucked out with all my DISmeets so far!

Wow. This kid is dedicated! I can't get my butt in gear to go to the gym once on vacation.
SO dedicated, in everything he does :goodvibes Very proud of him.

Glad to hear your good review of the Wave, too. We just had some shuffling of our plans for August as I get ready for FP day, and I ended up cancelling one breakfast we had and replacing it with the Wave. It'll be new for us, but I've heard mostly good things.
I wish we've gotten back there because it was so good! A laid back place, not really lots of "theming" and when we went it was quiet but the food was delicious and I liked the selection. They had a few different options we hadn't seen other places, I hope you guys enjoy :)

Why does everyone live up the east coast? :sad1:
Because the East Coast Rules :cool1:

Wait, cheddar biscuits and mickey waffles???
::yes::

Oops... :o It's hard to be too upset if they're an awesome server though, and you're not in a rush.
Exactly. If our server had been "eh" it would've bothered us more for sure but we saw how much she was running around and still keeping her great disposition so we let it slide lol

This cracks me up, because I start every day with a Diet Coke! I don't drink coffee either, but need something to get going in the morning.
Yeah I'm ok sometimes with a flavored cappuccino but I also can't drink that when it's hot! I don't understand how people drink hot coffee when it's hot and muggy in the morning :scared: I like OJ but it doesn't get me going in the a.m. if I haven't had anything else to start.

Great to hear, as I currently have two breakfast ADRs for our August trip, and they are Boma and The Wave!
Awesome lineup! I hope you enjoy both, I'd be interested to hear which you prefer :)

Really enjoying your report :thumbsup2
:thanks: I'm really glad to hear it!

I need a shirt like your Snow White shirt!
I love it, it's super comfortable. I actually got it at Macy's and found it online! I've never seen adult Disney clothes in their stores but for our Nov. 2016 trip I was just searching online for Disney tops and it popped up. They had a few online but none available in store.

LOL...I am embarrassed to say I would have no trouble drinking that much Diet Coke!
Well clearly I wasn't embarrassed to order it lol! And I drank more than I left ;)

It's because we were too busy still talking even though we had to both leave! I wish we had more time, but I think we would have been way too :drinking1if we had more time!
I was wishing we had more time also, if Ricky didn't insist on being picked up we would have at least had about 15 more minutes :( We could've sat there for hours :goodvibes and yeah, the drinks would have kept flowing :D:D

It def won't be the last! We had a great time as well.
:hug:

So, how much did you end up drinking?
More than half :blush:

Yikes! Did you finish it??
No but if our breakfast went on another 20 minute so I probably would have!

Has there been a definitive answer whether or not the stopped the antics? I'm not crazy about them myself, but I know other people really enjoy all that.
From all I've heard and am reading, they did NOT do away with the antics - yet. Some like @ArielSRL get a toned down version while others report no difference. However there's a thread over on the Restaurants forum by a well-known foods CM saying the theme of WCC is definitely changing, so I'm guessing at some point the antics will be gone.

So envious!
One day it'll be us meeting, I know it :thumbsup2

She was there on Monday when we went. She was not our server...ours was good, though...but she was singing and having a good time, the entire time we were there. She kidded with us a few times.
I'm glad they didn't make her stop doing what she apparently loves to do!

It was not quite the show it had been previously.
:sad2: Have you seen the thread on the restaurants forum on the "definite" changes coming to WCC and AP?

Diet Coke is my coffee. I would so love that on an early morning. But as a pp said _ would need to know where the closest bathroom is at all times after.
Ha ha that would be cute on a shirt, "Diet Coke is my coffee" :goodvibes

Have only had dinner at WCC, but that breakfast sure looks tasty! That's another one that needs to be added to the ever grooooooowing list...
The problem with reading dining reports is that the "list" never gets shorter!

I get it! It probably depends on the individuals. Victoria just happens to.......have more in common with Ricky than Candace and the other 25 year old who was there. Ricky was making her laugh like crazy, while Candace was talking with me and Meghan (hey!) about the baby and some other things.

I'm sure it definitely depends on the person. Now that I think about it, Nathan's younger sister turns 21 this year, and she seems soooooo much younger that I still think of her as if she were in high school.

SO dedicated, in everything he does :goodvibes Very proud of him.

I'm sure some of this is just because of the awesome guy he is, and some of is also comes from the values his awesome parents instilled in him. :-) You should be very proud, indeed!

How awesome that you and Ariella got to meet!!!!! Sounds like you all had a great time and a good weekend overall. Though I'm sure poor little Victoria didn't know what hit her.

Hopefully they aren't toning down the Whispering Canyon antics too much. As you know Casey loves this place so I know we'll be back sometime. We did do breakfast there once and I recall the antics being more toned down than dinner in general. So not sure they could alter it too much beyond getting rid of it completely.

Your meals all look great and are tortuous as I sit here hungry but we are going to brunch at 1130 and I'm trying not to eat :-) Though I'm not a huge egg fan and I recall their breakfast menu didn't have much on it that wasn't egg based.

Last edited:
That’s such a shame I hope they don’t change it
I remember them bringing DD a wooden fork as tall as me saying may the fork be with you :rotfl:
What a fun DIS meet :goodvibes

We were very, very satisfied with our GP meal. The menu isn't big; right now it looks like the Disney site menu is their "evening" menu and the allears one is their "day"menu? But the crab cakes are also on both and they weren't on either menu when we were there, so who knows. Anyway it's not a huge menu so I wouldn't plan to eat there 3 or 4 nights if you were staying there, but it's a wonderful, much nicer option than Roaring Fork for a day or two. For drinks and a snack? Perfect EVERY day!

That is definitely good to hear! I'm going to probably grab a lunch or dinner here in December when I'm staying at CCV. And I'm thinking about the burger, so I'm glad you liked that too!

The cider flight looks so good. We are going during flower and garden next year so I will have to try that. I'm not a coffee drinker either, but a gallon of diet coke... at least you didn't need to wait for a refill :drinking1 I'm glad you got a good waitress and enjoyed your meal.

I’m only 4 pages behind so not as bad as I thought! I will catch up, I swear :teeth:
If you don't know what it is that he couldn't pass up, it's the dish he had about 15x between our two visits last year, the Sugar Cane Shrimp Skewer:
A happy ending! Our hero is reunited with his true love! I could’ve just stopped reading here! Hahaha

These really are SO good

It looks so cute and tiny in his hand! It wasn't a big amount by any means but it's an app, no special presentation, but fresh tomatoes and very fresh, soft, delicious mozzarella. Adorable
Was this a prix fixe menu or something? What a chintzy portion!

It looks kind of sad, doesn't it? Cute, and sad. Like I made this plate up at a buffet and didn't like any of the other choices.
:rotfl:Like you were at... UNIVERSAL?!:scared1: I’m just waiting on the part where you report that you had to eat 3 cookies for your entree. Hehe

Still Steve wasn't happy because he won't ever eat until everyone has their food
What a gentleman!

Ah, heaven! Better than I imagined. I feel this particular pizza is perfect for being wood-fired, the components also just go together perfectly. Delicioso! Oh and what Kari adds is Arugula
Soooooo good. I know you guys are pizza snobs (comes with the geography) but this is my favorite pizza in the wooorrrlldddd:cloud9:
(Sans arugula)

I didn't take food pics since I knew I wasn't doing a whole food review, but we weren't impressed with our meal. Steve did like his entree but I didn't like my app and my entree was ok, think I ordered wrong
We ate at La Hacienda once... in 2014. Haven’t been back. Our local places are better and cheaper for that kind of menu.

They better have them now that I've discovered them!
@fallonkendra happy to report that as of 3 weeks ago the captain cooks nachos are still going strong!

Huh! These are normally reserved for CL guests. Were we just extra special, or as I noted in my TR was it because when we checked in two days prior I noticed the room needed vacuuming badly and had to request it 3x before it got done? Regardless it was a nice touch and I never turn my nose up at chocolate.
They clearly got the memo that you’re a vip!

Luckily the downpour that began while we were waiting-and waiting, and waiting-for a bus in DS
Ugh why are DS buses the WORST?!

Yup, I took a picture of a pregnant woman making a S'more! I'm creepy......
Well she’s cute so I think it’s okay

This burger was HEAVEN. OMG. I like burgers but don't get them all that often in Disney, but I'm so glad I got this one
Omg so much yes. Such a great burger!

And the waffle fries were seriously better than any fries I've had down there, except the truffle fries inside WL at Territory Lounge!
agreed!

img_7936-jpg.328674

Ariella and Andy, otherwise known as @StarWarsMomofGirls! and her DH! Yes, we got to meet and it was so fun and cool :goodvibes

img_7930-jpg.328673

Aww how cute! So nice you guys got to meet!!

Cute picture! Love the t-shirt!

This looks REALLY good!

Scrambled Eggs, Country Potatoes, Hickory-smoked Bacon, Sausage, Mickey Waffles, House-made Buttermilk-Cheddar Biscuits, and Sausage Gravy
Omg that looks divine

The boys ate a little of everything and liked it all minus the gravy which, up here, we really only see at Cracker Barrel
What?! No gravy? For shame!

Except he asked for toast instead of a biscuit.
Bless his heart, y’all are definitely not southerners.

Biscuits aren't my favorite when it comes to carbs, but I won't kick any carb out of bed so of course I had a few bites.
What?! Ya dang Yankees! :rotfl:

I heard on a podcast that someone’s gallon of Diet Coke came with a fastpass to the bathroom :rotfl2: meanwhile that’s my preferred size and morning elixir...

And boom! CAUGHT UP :banana:

No, I have not. Hmmmm, guess I need to go find it.
Did you take a look yet?

Hopefully they aren't toning down the Whispering Canyon antics too much. As you know Casey loves this place so I know we'll be back sometime.
From all I hear they still do the antics so hopefully you're not out of luck. I think we need to wait and see what happens with Artist Point since they're saying that's changing and there are still rumors that WCC is changing overall.......

I remember them bringing DD a wooden fork as tall as me saying may the fork be with you :rotfl:
:laughing: I think I remember hearing about this sometimes!

That is definitely good to hear! I'm going to probably grab a lunch or dinner here in December when I'm staying at CCV. And I'm thinking about the burger, so I'm glad you liked that too!
I'm jealous you're staying at CCV! Our last trip was Pop, and our next two aren't at WL. One is at BWI which is awesome but with 3 in a row not at WL I'm going to be missing it like crazy.
I hope you love GP!

The cider flight looks so good. We are going during flower and garden next year so I will have to try that
Definitely! Is it your first F&G? I love going during that time, I don't want to miss it any year now I love it so much :love:

I'm not a coffee drinker either, but a gallon of diet coke... at least you didn't need to wait for a refill :drinking1
lol true!

A happy ending! Our hero is reunited with his true love! I could’ve just stopped reading here! Hahaha
:worship: It was a long year waiting for those babies!

Was this a prix fixe menu or something? What a chintzy portion!
Nope, regular lunch menu. It was not impressive looking at all but luckily it tasted delicious!

ike you were at... UNIVERSAL?!:scared1: I’m just waiting on the part where you report that you had to eat 3 cookies for your entree. Hehe
:rotfl2:That would fit here, wouldn't it?? Like I said, the food was delicious even if the presentation and portion size of the apps wasn't the greatest. You can't say the same for their entree sizes, they're huge!

I know you guys are pizza snobs (comes with the geography) but this is my favorite pizza in the wooorrrlldddd:cloud9:
(Sans arugula)
Definitely pizza snobs, has to be NY, NJ, CT to be GOOD. But VN pizza is up there! BW pizza is NOT :crazy2::crazy2:

We ate at La Hacienda once... in 2014. Haven’t been back. Our local places are better and cheaper for that kind of menu.
We have really good local places and while some may not be "authentic", some are, and I prefer all of them to La Hacienda. I prefer San Angel Inn to La Hacienda and SAI isn't really that special.

They clearly got the memo that you’re a vip!
As everyone should :snooty:

Aww how cute! So nice you guys got to meet!!
I love that we're so close! Helps that they have good friends about 10 minutes from us so they'll keep coming back, too lol

What?! No gravy? For shame!
lol gravy is for macaroni ;)

What?! Ya dang Yankees!
:wave2:

I heard on a podcast that someone’s gallon of Diet Coke came with a fastpass to the bathroom :rotfl2: meanwhile that’s my preferred size and morning elixir...
OMG that's hysterical! I do sometimes get quick, strange looks from servers. I like OJ but only on occasion so unless I'm in the mood for cappuccino and they have it, Diet Coke it is.

I did. Very interesting. I had heard about a character meal at AP but not all day long. I guess we shall see what happens.
I think it would be cute for breakfast. MAYBE lunch, but I'd prefer just breakfast. No way do I want characters at dinner though, we loved our meal there too much for it to change now that we've discovered it. Plus then no signature at WL and of course we don't really do character meals anymore, so most likely it'd be somewhere we wouldn't even try. Until I bring my granddaughter, that is!

I think it would be cute for breakfast. MAYBE lunch, but I'd prefer just breakfast. No way do I want characters at dinner though, we loved our meal there too much for it to change now that we've discovered it. Plus then no signature at WL and of course we don't really do character meals anymore, so most likely it'd be somewhere we wouldn't even try. Until I bring my granddaughter, that is!
I liked the idea of them switching AP and WCC. WCC needs a signature but then again, if it doesn't do the business, does Disney disagree? I guess they would rather have butts in the seats than anything and this is their solution.

I was hoping to try AP at some point. Oh and yes, I took AJ first when he was 9.5 months old. We had a breakfast at Crystal Palace and he just loved all over Pooh and friends. So stinkin' cute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter