Hawthorn Suites Anaheim - help!

Stephen's Mom

<font color=green>Had a California Adventure<br><f
Has anyone stayed at this hotel and if so what did you think of it? I reserved a one bedroom suite for 10 nights for $690 US plus tax (internet special good until Dec/2001) but I'd like to know more about the quality of the hotel. I know it's not close enough to walk to DL (does have a shuttle) but I really wanted a suite (we have a 2-1/2 year old who won't go to sleep if he sees us!) and a fridge and microwave etc. It also includes a hot breakfast buffet. I'm not sure what's within walking distance (i.e. restaurants, convenience stores etc.). Can anyone help me out with this?? I've been pulling my hair out trying to find accomodations because there is some big California Cable convention on for 2 days while we're there and most of the hotels I've contacted are sold out for those 2 days. I really don't want to split up the reservation between 2 hotels either.

Thanks!

Hi! I stayed at this hotel for the first time just last month. I thought it was ok, but not the best place I've stayed at around Disneyland. The one thing that I liked was the fact that you can get two room suites, and it did come in handy, but my group overall was a little disappointed with the hotel. We had requested a non-smoking room, which we got, but the hallways outside the room reeked of cigarette smoke. It was a bit nauseating, since it seemed like the ventilation wasn't great in the hallways. The size of the suite was nice, though. However, my kids were disappointed with the pool (which is a biggie for them on any trip). It was rather small and so got very crowded. Also, the area is covered and surrounded by concrete walls- no real opportunity for sunbathing, and we felt we were swimming in a garage, lol. They do offer a free buffet style continental breakfast, although we didn't take advantage of it while we were there. We also used the shuttle bus service to get to the park, but had a hard time finding seats and had to stand in the aisles most of the time since the hotel uses a chartered bus that stops and picks up people at a couple of other hotels besides the Hawthorne. Parking at the hotel seemed abundant, since they have an underground parking structure. So, to sum up...it was ok, and since you usually spend so little time at the hotel anyways, it probably will be fine and having a suite is a plus. If swimming is a big thing on your trip, you may be a little disappointed there. Hope this helped a bit.

Amy

Thanks Amy,

Now I don't know what to do. I was hoping it would be a reasonably nice place (since my husband doesn't really want to go) but now I'm not so sure. The pool isn't a huge deal to us as my son is pretty young and he won't care about what it looks like (one good thing about being 2-1/2!). He actually doesn't like to be in the direct sun that much since he's very fair and he's always covering up his eyes with his hands. My main concern is the quality of the room since we are going to be there for 10 days and will probably spend the days we're not at Disney at the hotel. If it's a real dump or there's nothing within walking distance than I don't think I'll be all that happy. I can't believe I'm having this much trouble deciding!

Kim

Hi, again, Kim,

The hotel itself isn't a dump at all- the rooms are nicely furnished, clean, and a decent size. We were just disappointed in some of the amenities, since we paid almost $180. a night to stay there. However, there really isn't anything within a reasonable walking distance to the hotel- especially when you have a 2 year old. You'd most likely have to end up driving to restaurants, etc., and it would definitely be hard to walk back to the hotel from Disneyland when you have a tired child with you at the end of the day.

I just wanted to come back and assure you that the hotel itself and it's rooms are decent. We just weren't thrilled with what we got for our money, in regards to all the "extras".

Amy

Kim,

Have you checked the Desert Inn and Suites? http://www.anaheimdesertinn.com/
It is located right across the street from Disneyland and is way nice. We usually pay between $59 to $79 a night there. As a matter of fact we are going in October and got it on Travelocity.com for $79.00 a night. Good luck in your search.:)

More info please??

I just won a room thru Priceline for this hotel. I am not even sure what kind of room I got. I will call in the AM to confirm. Priceline does request non-smoking but only garentees a room for two adults. I will be going with my daughter 10 and daughter 8 and myself. We usually only stay in Days Inns/Best Westerns, so a suite is a big deal for us. This is actually a "surprise" trip for my girl and for me too, I only decided to go today :-). Can anyone give me anymore detail about this hotel?? What is the "Breakfast Buffet" like?? Any insite would be great.

Christa

Now I know this hotel. We stayed there about 7 yrs ago when it was Crsytal Suites. As I remember it, it was very nice. We had at that time, a 19 month old and a 3-1/2 yo and 3 adults. We had plenty of room and had a great time. It was our kids' first time to
to DL and my first time in almost 20 yrs. However, the ad says that it is within walking distance and I would have to say that it is a good stretch of your legs at the end of the day. We decided that it was too far and we drove.

I hope you have a great tme.

Mary

We just got back from three nights there.

Don't go!

The rooms themselves are o.k. The service is awful.

Three nights in a row we came back to find our doors unlocked. My husband compained, obviously, and they acted like it was no big deal!

I don't know about the rest of you....but a locked door is number one on my list of important things!

We stayed at the Candy Cane for a week before that and found it to be much better.

The best was our four days at Paradise Pier. We had a park view...upper level. I had to drag my kids away from the window each night!

Patti

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter