Hawaii 2020

OMGosh, I just checked ovation, May 2019 (since 2020 isn't released yet). We can do Ovation 11 nights, 2 oceanview with balcony (family of 6) for $4881 LESS than our disney 2 9C GTY rooms on the 10 night. Ugggghhh.
Is this cruiseline as kid friendly as Disney?

I've not sailed RCCL but once and it was years ago for a girls trip with my bestie on an old ship. The new ships (ovation etc) looks awesome. But I can't really speak to how it is with kids. I know they added nursery in the last several years to some ships. Prior to that I wouldn't have considered them. Our youngest turns 3 this Dec, so that is no longer an issue either way.
ETA:
Found this. I do like how they broke down the age groups.

They are family friendly, my DS loves their kids programming Adventure Ocean even more than Disney...
We have been on Anthem last year and loved it. I have done a dcl v Anthem comparison somewhere on dis.
Anyway having said that I am not sure I would choose it for a longer sailing with kids. Unless your kid is content not going into the clubs, I would think that there will not be many kids on a 12 night Royal cruise.
For older kids and teens though might be ok. Indoor roller skating, bumper cars, rock climbing, surfing simulators, sky diving simulator - and great pools including indoor is what you can find to do on your sea days :)
Don’t expect Disney though - it’s not.

I've not sailed RCCL but once and it was years ago for a girls trip with my bestie on an old ship. The new ships (ovation etc) looks awesome. But I can't really speak to how it is with kids. I know they added nursery in the last several years to some ships. Prior to that I wouldn't have considered them. Our youngest turns 3 this Dec, so that is no longer an issue either way.
ETA:
Found this. I do like how they broke down the age groups.
We also love the breakdown but I could see them combining 6-9 and 9-11 on a longer cruise during the school year. They did that on our Bermuda sailing due to not as many kids on board.

OMGosh, I just checked ovation, May 2019 (since 2020 isn't released yet). We can do Ovation 11 nights, 2 oceanview with balcony (family of 6) for $4881 LESS than our disney 2 9C GTY rooms on the 10 night. Ugggghhh.

We’ve cruised Royal and enjoyed, so given this info will take a look that direction :)

2 questions:

1. In the past, on Platinum/Gold/Silver opening days, we had to call in instead of being able to use the online booking application. Would you think the reason we didn't see much free up was because people didn't have to ask their TAs to reserve a few so they could get prices and then decide? Instead, we simply saw the prices, picked what we wanted, and paid our deposits? I ask, because maybe seeing things free up en masse is a thing of the past? Me, being Gold, I didn't see price, I just madly clicked away trying to get any balcony once I realized we could do it online. :)

2. With these Hawaii cruises selling out so quickly, can you imagine it's likely that they'll do a further fall Hawaii itinerary? I was frankly shocked that it was spring sailings. I wasn't prepared mentally at all. I think I would prefer a sailing later in the year personally. But still really happy I got onto the spring sailing.

My Cat 09D GTY assignment is now listed on DCL, not exactly sure when it posted but just a heads up in case others are curious where they'll be placed. Glad we got midship although I'd prefer to be higher than deck 1....but beggars can't be choosers.

Should we be worried about 1060? Keep reading reviews about a noisy hydraulic pump :/

Last edited:
My Cat 09D GTY assignment is now listed on DCL, not exactly sure when it posted but just a heads up in case others are curious where they'll be placed. Glad we got midship although I'd prefer to be higher than deck 1....but beggars can't be choosers.

Should we be worried about 1060? Keep reading reviews about a noisy hydraulic pump :/
You could change to a verandah. It looks like there are lots of those available, at least for 3 people.

Just keep in mind those ocean view rooms have two smaller port holes vs one bigger one.

You could change to a verandah. It looks like there are lots of those available, at least for 3 people.

Isn't Hawaii sold out? I just did a search, nothing came up for a party of 4, 3 or 2.

Just keep in mind those ocean view rooms have two smaller port holes vs one bigger one.

Isn't Hawaii sold out? I just did a search, nothing came up for a party of 4, 3 or 2.
You can only find rooms available if you are already booked on the ship. We have an ocean view and could switch to an inside or a verandah. There are actual room numbers available for verandahs. That tells me, they probably overbooked the oceanviews.

You can only find rooms available if you are already booked on the ship. We have an ocean view and could switch to an inside or a verandah. There are actual room numbers available for verandahs. That tells me, they probably overbooked the oceanviews.

Ah, ok, that makes sense.

We are a party of 2 booked for the 10nt and I see no other availability in any category regardless of party size?

So I called Costco and had them call DCL since I'm not seeing the other availability. Was told that GTY inside rooms are available but they cannot move my original GTY booking to another GTY category after room assignment, and there are no Oceanviews left. If I cancel to rebook the GTY inside they show as unavailable, also there are 07A's available with room numbers but I'm not paying over 2K more for that! Oh well, we'll just sit tight for awhile and see what happens down the road.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
When I bring up my reservation, it allows me to VIEW stateroom or deck plans, but doesn't give me the option to CHANGE the room. I'm assuming that means there are none available? (or none in my category (6A)

We are a party of 2 booked for the 10nt and I see no other availability in any category regardless of party size?

So I called Costco and had them call DCL since I'm not seeing the other availability. Was told that GTY inside rooms are available but they cannot move my original GTY booking to another GTY category after room assignment, and there are no Oceanviews left. If I cancel to rebook the GTY inside they show as unavailable, also there are 07A's available with room numbers but I'm not paying over 2K more for that! Oh well, we'll just sit tight for awhile and see what happens down the road.

Thanks for the replies.
You should be able to move an assigned stateroom to a different category gty. If it’s the exact same category, then it would just reassign you the exact same room number.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter