Hawaii 2020 Questions? Bring 'Em On!

Are you talking about Old Lahaina Luau? I assume not as most of my friends that live in Hawaii agree that OLL is the most Hawaiian luau in the islands. There are no glittery "grass skirts" like one can see at other luau. They perform the hula that was done for King David Kalakaua when he brought back hula to his people years after hula had been forbidden. All the dances are hula kahiko, with only a couple of numbers of hula auana. From hula attire to performance I would compare what I have seen at OLL much like what one could see at Merrie Monarch.

While I haven't been to the PCC, I have been to church festivals with hula which was very casual. Wonderful to see all ages of dancers in holoku dresses. :sunny:
You know, I can't recall what luau it was in Maui, but I know we went there twice (2 different trips). I'll have to look it up.

Not planning on it at this time. I prefer to sail out of LA or San Diego for Hawaii, and those are round trip ones. I can't see flying to Vancouver (or Hawaii) just to do a one way and have to fly back home again.
Yes, we know what you mean! We are flying to Seattle to see the grandkids, and then to Vancouver. But the 9 night cruise docks 20 minutes from our home!pixiedust:

I hope you can help us all plan! We are on the same sailing.

Of course! It's been 2 years since I've been back to Hawaii (I had too much fun being an AP holder at WDW last year), but I'm planning a trip there next year, and I am thinking about Maui or the Big Island. Hawaii is so much fun to do research on, maybe even more fun than WDW! :)

You are on this cruise too? That's fantastic- enjoyed reading your TR's on here.
We are also on the 10 night. We are gold but still only able to get a 9c gty at this point...
will have to check out your Hawaii TR!

Yes! We are planning on it, LOL. I'm so happy we actually got a room, everyone was saying how it was sold out after the day it went on sale for Golds. But I am hopeful we get an oceanview although either way I'm just happy to be on this sailing.

We are also on this cruise as silvers. It also is the cruise that will make us gold. I felt fortunate to get a 5A GTY because I just happened to check (again) at the right time. We are celebrating DH birthday on the first day of the cruise. I’m hoping it will ease the pain since it is a big one.
Good for you getting a 5A room!
I'm sure all worries will go away once he's on the cruise. And we're all kids at heart. :)

Oh Yay!
I love your trip reports! Glad to be sailing with you, matey!

Thank you so much! Really looking forward to meeting all the DISboarders on the cruise! I know that there's a facebook group going, but would also like to have a DISboard meet up too, that would be nice!

we are booked on the 10 night Hawaii- got a GTY 9C which should be fine ( just the two of us)- will keep an eye out if by rooms become available to claim - was hoping it was going to be round trip from LA ( we're in AZ) so flights, additional travel time plays into equation. Not sure if DD can get time of work either and not sure that I would want to go alone- we gave up hold on Eastern for 2019 to grab this so hopefully we will wind up going.

Does anyone know if Disney would be offering transfers from Aulani? I think the ground transportation section of their website is showing $60 each. It's down at the moment. Would that only be from the airport and to the airport?

Does anyone know if Disney would be offering transfers from Aulani? I think the ground transportation section of their website is showing $60 each. It's down at the moment. Would that only be from the airport and to the airport?

They offered them in 2015, I believe they will do it again in 2020.
There were many, many people taking the buses to the port.

$60 each seems very expensive. I think Uber or a taxi might cost less. I would love to go to aulani but it’s too expensive for us Canadians. Can we go for a tour though?

I agree with Lorimay's post below! I was on the 2015 HNL to YVR 10 night and Dcl definitely offered transportation they chartered (since there's no DCL buses in Hawaii! :cutie:)

They offered them in 2015, I believe they will do it again in 2020.
There were many, many people taking the buses to the port.

$60 each seems very expensive. I think Uber or a taxi might cost less. I would love to go to aulani but it’s too expensive for us Canadians. Can we go for a tour though?

If that was 1 way (I'm not sure as I booked private transportation for that cruise from HNL to Aulani for 2 nights pre-cruise, as well as for Aulani to Port of Honolulu transportation), and if there's more than 1 or 2 in your party, you could get Charley's Taxi for about that I think. Most of the reputable transportation companies have set rates from HNL Int'l Airport or Port of Honolulu to Aulani. And vice versa. I would DEFINITELY go with someone that gives you a set rate. It is about a 40 minute drive from HNL Airport to Aulani if there is not bad traffic. Traffic can add to that considerably.

You know, I can't recall what luau it was in Maui, but I know we went there twice (2 different trips). I'll have to look it up.

I know the difference between the authentic one in Maui and the one at the cultural center is that they don't allow liquor, while the one in Maui does.

Does anyone know if Aluani will set aside some rooms for the Wonder Hawaii guests?
When would we potentially be able to book rooms for April/May 2020?
If they do set a block of rooms aside, are these likely to be discounted in some way or regular price?

Does anyone know if Aluani will set aside some rooms for the Wonder Hawaii guests?
If they do set a block of rooms aside, are these likely to be discounted in some way or regular price?

I'd be interested to know this myself, although I can't picture Disney discounting anything -- they know they already have you ;)

We received an offer 30% off 5 nights and $50 a day credit for breakfast on our Chase Disney Card for 2015

Anyone can visit Aulani. Any locals come just for the beach, as all beaches are public and Aulani has one of the best beaches near Honolulu, if not the island. However, visitors cannot use the pools or meet characters at Aulani. The only way around that is if you book a dining reservation at Makahiki for a character meal - then you'd get to meet characters there. Otherwise, Cast Members are constantly checking people for wristbands (daily proof that you're staying at Aulani.)

We plan to be at Aulani for a week before the cruise, but may leave a day earlier than embarkation to avoid the mass check out of cruise guests. We're also Canadian, and the exchange rate is terrible, but Aulani is worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter