Having second thoughts about going while pregnant

Never, ever again will I go to Disney while pregnant. I was 5 months when I went while I was pregnant with DD2 and on the second day I knew I made a big mistake by going. My body just doesn't feel well when I'm pregnant.

I went when pregnant with my second child. It was tough on my body but also a lot of fun with my child. I had a 2.5 year old though and the tantrums from my child were worse than my tiredness from being pregnant and all the walking. I say it’s not for the faint of heart but I didn’t regret it for a minute.

We got back from WDW three weeks ago and I just hit six months at the time we left. We had a fantastic time and I have to say that the slower pace of everything was a big part of our success. My mother has bad knees so she doesn't walk quickly, it was our first trip with no strollers (DD4 and DS turned 7 on the trip), and I was definitely waddling a bit. So the majority of our group moved at a snail's pace and that was fine. We didn't plan too much, stuck to our favorites, adjusted when needed, tried to swim every day it was warm enough, and got to bed early. I put in 42 miles of walking that week, but it was fun and I didn't overdo it. My biggest piece of advice is make sure you have good shoes and accessible water (bottle, camelbak, refillable mug, etc.) and keep hydrated by drinking all day long. There are restrooms EVERYWHERE so just use them rather than avoid drinking. Two days into the trip my son stopped bugging me about needing a bathroom break after every attraction.

I had morning sickness with all three of my pregnancies and this last one was the worst, but it cleared up by the beginning of month 5. I have to say I always feel better outside walking around though. In fact with my first pregnancy, DH and I went to Disney for a belated honeymoon and my morning sickness ended on Day 2 of our trip. That was a very pleasant bit of Disney pixie dust.

The last time I was at the parks was when I was 7 months pregnant, ALONE, and I had a great time. Just make sure you get your rest. I made sure to go on a lot of air conditioned attractions where I could sit like Peter Pan's Flight, The Haunted Mansion, PotC, Philharmagic, Hall of Presidents, etc. The Riverboat was a good place to take a break as well. Get some photos of your cute belly. I also got my son the smallest size ear-hat sold and had his name embroidered on it. I took photos of it in some cool spots. I got photos of me with the characters and the hat, but they came out blurry. :( My son has yet to take his first trip, but he likes to talk about when he went to Disney in mommy's tummy, as if he could remember!
I did rope drop to park close, and was totally worn out by the end. Maybe don't push yourself as much as I did! No regrets though. Not at all.
IMG_1046.JPG IMG_1047.JPG IMG_1048.JPG IMG_1049.JPG

I went to Magic Kingdom (that's all there was then) in 1980 with my BFF who was 5 months pregnant. There were 4 of us - she just stayed off of any rides that had warnings about pregnant women. We had a ball. She had spent years and years with various fertility treatments to get pregnant so she was not going to take any risks. But we were all much younger back then.

Somewhat OT, but we went to DL when I was 27 weeks with YDD. We got a cute picture with Pooh and I holding our bellies.

I just got back from a trip and was 16 weeks pregnant. Taking breaks throughout the day at the parks was key. In Epcot, there are some nice areas to relax while your 4 year old can run around a bit - the hedge maze in England, fountains by Imagination, Seas aquarium. In MK, I'd take a break while my husband rode things like Thunder Mountain with my son. My 4 year old loves the Tiki Room, so that was nice for a break. In AK, take it slow and watch the animals. We'd get to the parks at opening and would leave around mid-afternoon (my 4 year old was pretty worn out by then anyway.) We didn't do any ADRs. I found it better to stop and eat at a QS when I was hungry. We did pretty low-key evenings. We were at an offsite house so we'd swim and order in.

Try not to do too much - you can always stay at a park later if you feel up to it. Going for only part of a day is still better than staying home!

FWIW, I was sick constantly the first trimester in my pregnancy with my daughter. I lost 10 pounds from the frequent vomiting. I will spare you the details, but it was awful!
Then, suddenly it went away and I felt fine. After that it was a pretty easy pregnancy, as far as pregnancies go.

The point is, I just don’t think there is a way to know how you will feel then. I hope you get lucky and the sickness stops like mine did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter