Haven’t been in 5 years...going on last minute vacay in 8 days!

lmbcdb

DIS Veteran
So, we used to go every year for while, then couldn’t go anymore for for financial reasons.

The stars aligned today - my mom sold her beach house and gave us some money. :dancer:

We already have tickets to Tampa given to us by FIL for a family thing. So we’ve extended our trip and are headed back home.

Good thing is I’ve still got all my planning spreadsheets - packing, budget, to do lists (thank goodness we don’t need a stroller this time!) So, getting ready to go will be easy.

But, I am SO far out of the loop with new attractions. I know there’s an Avatar land, a Toy Story land, the Frozen attraction and new Star Wars stuff. But what you just read is ALL I know. I know absolutely no details and have no idea where to start. Usually I have months to read the boards and get caught up, but I have 8 days this time.

Also, not up to date on FP. Last time we went, we piloted the first Magic bands and only a few rides could be FP online.

Any idea where I should start?

Also, does Josh on easyWDW not do his crowd calendars anymore? They were always so reliable. I searched his site and couldn’t find a current one.

One last question- Magic bands. Last time we went, we helped pilot the first version. It got us in the parks, fast passes on these weird looking Mickey head poles, and I think let us buy stuff. Do they do more now?

Last edited:
Have a magical time! Disney's still great even with all the changes.

New Star Wars Stuff: Presuming you're referring to Galaxy's Edge, this area will not be open until August 29. It's currently open in Disneyland, however.

Pandora (Avatar Land):
If you don't want to wait 3 hours (not kidding) and don't have fast passes for Disney's best attraction (Flight of Passage), rope dropping this is a must. The ride has been operating approx. 30 mins earlier than posted opening time of Animal Kingdom, so parking 45-60 mins prior to opening is essential for a low wait time. At opening, this ride will be 60-90 mins and only get worse. Nav'i River Journey is a walk-on for about the first 30 minutes of opening. Both of these attractions will have low waits at the end of the evening as well, and Pandora is beautiful at night.

Toy Story Land:
Arguably, Slinky Dog Dash is the most popular attraction at Hollywood Studios right now, as Galaxy's Edge won't open until 8/29. Slinky Dog Dash (a family coaster), Alien Swirling Saucers, and Toy Story Midway Mania are the three attractions in this land, and queues can be long. Should be noted too that Slinky Dog Dash's queue is mainly outdoors, so it will be hot! Also, with Tower of Terror operating at half capacity right now, lines will be longer around the park.

Frozen Attraction:
Same ride track as Malestrom, just with a Frozen theme.

FP+: https://www.disboards.com/threads/fastpass-frequently-asked-questions.3491680/
Read the first page of this thread...way more helpful than anything I can write here.

Crowd Calendars: generally inaccurate these days, so most people on these boards don't suggest using any of them. Checking the MDX app will allow you to see the wait times of all attractions in the parks and you can use that to judge if hopping would make sense.

Magic Bands: Can be used for everything (park admission, photopass, paying via hotel reservation) now, but the ticket cards also still work for these things. Magic Bands are used, however, for on ride photos automagically on many attractions, and without one, these photos can be hard to track down.

Other Changes:

MK/TTC - Security screening now prior to monorail/ferry boat, including at every monorail resort. Makes the entrance at MK flow much better. Secondly, TTC & MK Parking is undergoing a massive reconstruction project, and there's still a decent walk after exiting the parking tram.

Epcot - Both the tram loop & the main entrance are undergoing renovations, and again, there's a decent walk after exiting the parking tram. Leave a Legacy is also being relocated, so the main entrance will seem empty on one side. Universe of Energy has closed and a new roller coaster is being built in its place (opening 2021). Illuminations will also be ending after September 30, so if this is a favorite -- make sure to see it!

Studios - Tower of Terror is experiencing long waits due to operating at half capacity at this point, expect long and slow-moving lines. Galaxy's Edge construction has made the park's left side have three dead ends. One at the end of Grand Avenue by Muppets 3D, one at the end of Pixar Place / Municiberg, and a third at Toy Story Land. It can be a long walk between Star Tours and Toy Story Land where you may be used to a quick walk by Muppets 3D. Driving directions have changed, and the intersections over there have gotten a bit crazy if you aren't careful trying to get to/from World Drive. Skyliner construction and entrance renovation ongoing, but has not impacted parking operations or walk from tram significantly.

AK - The one park entrance not undergoing renovation right now, but most people are going to Pandora first and foremost when you get to the park. You'll experience significantly less crowds at other attractions for most of the morning. Also, check out longer hours and the Tree of Life awakenings.

Hope this helps!

Also, does Josh on easyWDW not do his crowd calendars anymore? They were always so reliable. I searched his site and couldn’t find a current one.

Disney continuously throws curve balls late in the game these days, and no one can keep up with them. Josh quit trying several years ago.

He does still have park specific cheat sheets and touring plans to help maximize your time. You might want to check out those.

OMG, how exciting. My last two trips have been pretty much "last minute" like yours and I kind of LOVE doing it that way.

First, the poster above me gave some great information so I'll try not to repeat a lot of it.

My first question is: Where are you staying? Onsite, offsite? It doesn't really matter I guess.

1. I would suggest you first start with a My Disney Experience account and app on your phone(s).
2. I've used the crowd calendars on Undercover Tourist and they do well, but honestly, I have not found that it overly matters.
3. Once you have your days mapped out, try to get whatever Fastpasses you can through the MDE app. Unless you are very lucky, you will see that all the "top" rides, don't have any. Do a search here, or scroll through some of the threads and you'll likely find a thread that deals with "refresh" of the app. People are changing plans all the time and you can pick up some good Fastpasses if you feel like spending a lot of time doing that.
4. For me, FoP was my favorite ride and a must do several times. We never could get a FP for it. I was not into the whole rope drop thing for it. I am not opposed to rope drop. I'm opposed to getting to AK 90 minutes BEFORE rope drop to get into the ride. So, we went to AK several times about 30 minutes before park closing and waited no more than 30 minutes in line (much less than the stated time on the ride) and rode FoP about 3 times. I feel like this works out way better than rope drop but it really will depend how you spend your evenings. Here's a good thread that discusses the FoP methods without FP: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...ght-of-passage-in-july.3754139/#post-60716196
5. Toy Story Land: We had no children with us so it was not a big deal but we do go to it and do Slinky Dog Dash. It was the only ride our whole trip that I devoted this much time for waiting because I could not get a fast pass and do any of the other measures to get on. It was a 90 minute wait in about 100 degree heat and was totally not worth it to us. If you have kids of the right age, of course you will want to do it.
6. I had pretty good luck for everywhere I wanted to eat. Some places I had to wait until I was down there and keep checking until I got what I wanted. My tough-to-get dining last year was Art Smith's Homecomin'. All they had was 9:30 pm ressies, but while I was there, I kept checking and I got one for 5:30 (I had a party of 6).

I think you'll find this last-minute thing fun. Just get that app and book some fastpasses. If you're sitting around at home or find yourself bored somewhere, just keep refreshing for fastpasses and grab them. You'll really start to see them change around during the time you are at the park as other park-goers there at the same time are trying to change their plans around. I've also heard that Disney release more on the actual day. Don't know if that's true.

Last edited:

Instead of rope dropping FoP and SDD, go towards the end of the night. They will inflate the wait numbers but its usually half the time. SDD is great at night.

Have a magical time! Disney's still great even with all the changes.

New Star Wars Stuff: Presuming you're referring to Galaxy's Edge, this area will not be open until August 29. It's currently open in Disneyland, however.

Pandora (Avatar Land):
If you don't want to wait 3 hours (not kidding) and don't have fast passes for Disney's best attraction (Flight of Passage), rope dropping this is a must. The ride has been operating approx. 30 mins earlier than posted opening time of Animal Kingdom, so parking 45-60 mins prior to opening is essential for a low wait time. At opening, this ride will be 60-90 mins and only get worse. Nav'i River Journey is a walk-on for about the first 30 minutes of opening. Both of these attractions will have low waits at the end of the evening as well, and Pandora is beautiful at night.

Toy Story Land:
Arguably, Slinky Dog Dash is the most popular attraction at Hollywood Studios right now, as Galaxy's Edge won't open until 8/29. Slinky Dog Dash (a family coaster), Alien Swirling Saucers, and Toy Story Midway Mania are the three attractions in this land, and queues can be long. Should be noted too that Slinky Dog Dash's queue is mainly outdoors, so it will be hot! Also, with Tower of Terror operating at half capacity right now, lines will be longer around the park.

Frozen Attraction:
Same ride track as Malestrom, just with a Frozen theme.

FP+: https://www.disboards.com/threads/fastpass-frequently-asked-questions.3491680/
Read the first page of this thread...way more helpful than anything I can write here.

Crowd Calendars: generally inaccurate these days, so most people on these boards don't suggest using any of them. Checking the MDX app will allow you to see the wait times of all attractions in the parks and you can use that to judge if hopping would make sense.

Magic Bands: Can be used for everything (park admission, photopass, paying via hotel reservation) now, but the ticket cards also still work for these things. Magic Bands are used, however, for on ride photos automagically on many attractions, and without one, these photos can be hard to track down.

Other Changes:

MK/TTC - Security screening now prior to monorail/ferry boat, including at every monorail resort. Makes the entrance at MK flow much better. Secondly, TTC & MK Parking is undergoing a massive reconstruction project, and there's still a decent walk after exiting the parking tram.

Epcot - Both the tram loop & the main entrance are undergoing renovations, and again, there's a decent walk after exiting the parking tram. Leave a Legacy is also being relocated, so the main entrance will seem empty on one side. Universe of Energy has closed and a new roller coaster is being built in its place (opening 2021). Illuminations will also be ending after September 30, so if this is a favorite -- make sure to see it!

Studios - Tower of Terror is experiencing long waits due to operating at half capacity at this point, expect long and slow-moving lines. Galaxy's Edge construction has made the park's left side have three dead ends. One at the end of Grand Avenue by Muppets 3D, one at the end of Pixar Place / Municiberg, and a third at Toy Story Land. It can be a long walk between Star Tours and Toy Story Land where you may be used to a quick walk by Muppets 3D. Driving directions have changed, and the intersections over there have gotten a bit crazy if you aren't careful trying to get to/from World Drive. Skyliner construction and entrance renovation ongoing, but has not impacted parking operations or walk from tram significantly.

AK - The one park entrance notundergoing renovation right now, but most people are going to Pandora first and foremost when you get to the park. You'll experience significantly less crowds at other attractions for most of the morning. Also, check out longer hours and the Tree of Life awakenings.

Hope this helps!
Oh my! Thank you SO much! That was awesome.
Pooh on the Star Wars. Oh well. Just means another trip next year!

Great info on Pandora. We are big fans. We probably won't get FP from what I've been reading, being 7 days out now.

I don't think we will kill ourselves trying to get to Slinky. My kids are older and I read that the dash is crazy. We've done TSMM several times in the past. Why is ToT only operating at half capacity? That's one of my favorite rides...

Good post on the FP+ system. Looks like I can spend time refreshing looking for stuff.

So for ride pictures, you don't have to go find it anymore? It just attaches to your account? Super cool.

Sad to hear about Universe of Energy. That was my favorite nap spot.

OMG, how exciting. My last two trips have been pretty much "last minute" like yours and I kind of LOVE doing it that way.

First, the poster above me gave some great information so I'll try not to repeat a lot of it.

My first question is: Where are you staying?Pop Century. Onsite, offsite? It doesn't really matter I guess.

1. I would suggest you first start with a My Disney Experience account and app on your phone(s). Just downloaded it. Thanks.
2. I've used the crowd calendars on Undercover Tourist and they do well, but honestly, I have not found that it overly matters.
3. Once you have your days mapped out, try to get whatever Fastpasses you can through the MDE app. Unless you are very lucky, you will see that all the "top" rides, don't have any. Do a search here, or scroll through some of the threads and you'll likely find a thread that deals with "refresh" of the app. People are changing plans all the time and you can pick up some good Fastpasses if you feel like spending a lot of time doing that. Great tips, thanks!
4. For me, FoP was my favorite ride and a must do several times. We never could get a FP for it. I was not into the whole rope drop thing for it. I am not opposed to rope drop. I'm opposed to getting to AK 90 minutes BEFORE rope drop to get into the ride. So, we went to AK several times about 30 minutes before park closing and waited no more than 30 minutes in line (much less than the stated time on the ride) and rode FoP about 3 times. I feel like this works out way better than rope drop but it really will depend how you spend your evenings. Here's a good thread that discusses the FoP methods without FP: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...ght-of-passage-in-july.3754139/#post-60716196 We have been rope drop people in the past, because the kids were little and couldn't hang that late. They are older now, though, so it seems to be better to do late night short lines that show up an hour early. I remember only having to be 30 minutes early to get a good spot.
5. Toy Story Land: We had no children with us so it was not a big deal but we do go to it and do Slinky Dog Dash. It was the only ride our whole trip that I devoted this much time for waiting because I could not get a fast pass and do any of the other measures to get on. It was a 90 minute wait in about 100 degree heat and was totally not worth it to us. If you have kids of the right age, of course you will want to do it. Doesn't sound like fun to me, and it'll be hot next week. Kids will get over it.
6. I had pretty good luck for everywhere I wanted to eat. Some places I had to wait until I was down there and keep checking until I got what I wanted. My tough-to-get dining last year was Art Smith's Homecomin'. All they had was 9:30 pm ressies, but while I was there, I kept checking and I got one for 5:30 (I had a party of 6).
We decided to do quick service to save money. DD won't be happy, but we will do the hair thing at BBB and she'll be ok. She's 11 now.
I think you'll find this last-minute thing fun. Just get that app and book some fastpasses. If you're sitting around at home or find yourself bored somewhere, just keep refreshing for fastpasses and grab them. You'll really start to see them change around during the time you are at the park as other park-goers there at the same time are trying to change their plans around. I've also heard that Disney release more on the actual day. Don't know if that's true. That's some awesome information! Thank you so much!
see above.

Instead of rope dropping FoP and SDD, go towards the end of the night. They will inflate the wait numbers but its usually half the time. SDD is great at night.
Thank you! I think instead of being rope droppers this year, we are going to try more evenings. From what I've read, to do rope drops right now, you have to get there an hour ahead of time. What's the point/difference? You're still waiting either way.

Thank you! I think instead of being rope droppers this year, we are going to try more evenings. From what I've read, to do rope drops right now, you have to get there an hour ahead of time. What's the point/difference? You're still waiting either way.

An hour you’re not paying for versus an hour you are.

Oh my! Thank you SO much! That was awesome.
Pooh on the Star Wars. Oh well. Just means another trip next year!

Great info on Pandora. We are big fans. We probably won't get FP from what I've been reading, being 7 days out now.

I don't think we will kill ourselves trying to get to Slinky. My kids are older and I read that the dash is crazy. We've done TSMM several times in the past. Why is ToT only operating at half capacity? That's one of my favorite rides...

Good post on the FP+ system. Looks like I can spend time refreshing looking for stuff.

So for ride pictures, you don't have to go find it anymore? It just attaches to your account? Super cool.

Sad to hear about Universe of Energy. That was my favorite nap spot.

I'd agree about SDD with other posters that the wait in the sun isn't worth it. It's definitely a better ride (and wait) experience at night, so going at park close can be the right move. For a 60+ minute wait, I'd definitely rather be on RnRC.

TOT - Tower is essentially two identical ride systems next to each other. Disney is currently refurbishing TOT, but due to this element of the ride, they can keep the attraction open by refurbishing one side at a time. However, this means capacity is limited to about 900 people per hour (IIRC), if everything is running smoothly. So, the waits have ballooned...even at Disney After Hours (a paid, hard ticket event with limited crowds)...to 95+ mins. Still a fantastic ride, but the wait is noticeably slower-moving. Also, if the ride goes down, it can't keep operating the other side (like previously), and so you may notice that it is "temporarily closed" more often.

Ride photos -- Generally the newer the ride, the more likely that statement is correct. Rides like Dinosaur, Slinky Dog Dash, Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbean have photos that now magically appear in your account via Magic Bands. Many attractions, such as TOT, RNRC, Buzz, Splash, still have the need to capture the photo manually to your account. However, Magic Bands/RFID Tickets have made this easy where you just tap the glowing Mickey head corresponding to your photo with your Magic Band. It will turn green when successful.

And yes, gone is the best nap spot for Epcot, but there are still several films in the World Showcase...

Not sure how long it’s been since you were last home but MK has the newish extension to fantasyland and the Seven Dwarfs mine train ride is another super popular ride.
Also the train at MK is not running for at least the rest of this year as they are building the Tron coaster in Tomorrowland.
Lots and lots of cool new places to eat and shop at Disney Springs it’s had a total make over. Only bit that looks the same is the market place end. Seems to be new places and shops opening all the time there. It’s much more of a whole day place now. Ten pin bowling and not sure exactly when the NBA experience is opening but that looks cool.

Last year was the first year I did evenings. I was always a rope dropper.

Due to the heat and the fact that I'm not 30 anymore, the heat was really getting to me (it was a July trip). So we left during the day (something I never did because we were often offsite). We relaxed, changed for dinner, and went back to the park after dinner. For me, doing the park at night was a HUGE relief from the heat and I felt so much better. And the lines were a lot better.

So, we used to go every year for while, then couldn’t go anymore for for financial reasons.

The stars aligned today - my mom sold her beach house and gave us some money. :dancer:

We already have tickets to Tampa given to us by FIL for a family thing. So we’ve extended our trip and are headed back home.

Good thing is I’ve still got all my planning spreadsheets - packing, budget, to do lists (thank goodness we don’t need a stroller this time!) So, getting ready to go will be easy.

But, I am SO far out of the loop with new attractions. I know there’s an Avatar land, a Toy Story land, the Frozen attraction and new Star Wars stuff. But what you just read is ALL I know. I know absolutely no details and have no idea where to start. Usually I have months to read the boards and get caught up, but I have 8 days this time.

Also, not up to date on FP. Last time we went, we piloted the first Magic bands and only a few rides could be FP online.

Any idea where I should start?

One last question- Magic bands. Last time we went, we helped pilot the first version. It got us in the parks, fast passes on these weird looking Mickey head poles, and I think let us buy stuff. Do they do more now?

Read Josh's blog for touring tips, get a good understanding of how fastpass+ works and you will be fine.

The days of the "crowd calendar" having any use are long gone. These days, it's all about how you tour and use fastpass+ that matter.

The queue is actually amazing for any fan of Avatar -- and while I wouldn't want to wait in it again just to wait in it, you'll probably appreciate details that would've been a walk-through attraction in itself.

Pro-tip: If you're planning to be in the park until the evening anyway and you are just 3 people, you might have luck getting same-day FastPasses for this attraction. People change their plans every second of the day, including up to the last minute. It takes a little patience and time, though. Basically you will need to log into your phone's mobile browser and try to modify one of your FPs to Flight of Passage. For better chances, try it early in the day after the park has opened. (Don't use the app for this; the website is much faster.) If it's available, it will be the first attraction listed in Animal Kingdom. It probably won't show up right away, so you'll want to keep reloading the page continuously and quickly by tapping on the times. You'll notice that every time the page reloads, the system presents you with different attractions and FP times that are available. While the park is operating that day, so many people are changing FPs that the selection is different every time. You might have to keep reloading rapidly until FOP shows up, depending on the time of day; eventually someone's going to throw away their reservation and you can pick it up. Being on your phone for 5-10 minutes at a time isn't everyone's favorite way to pass the day, but if you do it while waiting in line you might have a chance at a FP. This is known on these boards as the "refresh" technique and I've used it to save hours of waiting on many attractions.

I don't think we will kill ourselves trying to get to Slinky. My kids are older and I read that the dash is crazy. We've done TSMM several times in the past.

Agree. The only reason you'd need to get on Slinky is if you visit WDW often and need to do the latest and greatest. It's a cute rollercoaster and executed well, but

The queue is actually amazing for any fan of Avatar -- and while I wouldn't want to wait in it again just to wait in it, you'll probably appreciate details that would've been a walk-through attraction in itself.

Pro-tip: If you're planning to be in the park until the evening anyway and you are just 3 people, you might have luck getting same-day FastPasses for this attraction. People change their plans every second of the day, including up to the last minute. It takes a little patience and time, though. Basically you will need to log into your phone's mobile browser and try to modify one of your FPs to Flight of Passage. For better chances, try it early in the day after the park has opened. (Don't use the app for this; the website is much faster.) If it's available, it will be the first attraction listed in Animal Kingdom. It probably won't show up right away, so you'll want to keep reloading the page continuously and quickly by tapping on the times. You'll notice that every time the page reloads, the system presents you with different attractions and FP times that are available. While the park is operating that day, so many people are changing FPs that the selection is different every time. You might have to keep reloading rapidly until FOP shows up, depending on the time of day; eventually someone's going to throw away their reservation and you can pick it up. Being on your phone for 5-10 minutes at a time isn't everyone's favorite way to pass the day, but if you do it while waiting in line you might have a chance at a FP. This is known on these boards as the "refresh" technique and I've used it to save hours of waiting on many attractions.

Agree. The only reason you'd need to get on Slinky is if you visit WDW often and need to do the latest and greatest. It's a cute rollercoaster and executed well, but

So, you've found the website is better for refresh? I didn't have much luck with refresh last summer but I was using the app.

Last year was the first year I did evenings. I was always a rope dropper.

Due to the heat and the fact that I'm not 30 anymore, the heat was really getting to me (it was a July trip). So we left during the day (something I never did because we were often offsite). We relaxed, changed for dinner, and went back to the park after dinner. For me, doing the park at night was a HUGE relief from the heat and I felt so much better. And the lines were a lot better.
Thanks for the heat tip. The last not thing I remember about our last trip is how it it was. :-(

Not sure how long it’s been since you were last home but MK has the newish extension to fantasyland and the Seven Dwarfs mine train ride is another super popular ride.
Also the train at MK is not running for at least the rest of this year as they are building the Tron coaster in Tomorrowland.
Lots and lots of cool new places to eat and shop at Disney Springs it’s had a total make over. Only bit that looks the same is the market place end. Seems to be new places and shops opening all the time there. It’s much more of a whole day place now. Ten pin bowling and not sure exactly when the NBA experience is opening but that looks cool.
So no train in the opening show? We did get to ride Mine Train. LOVED the theming in the queue!

A TRON coaster?? Cool!

Read Josh's blog for touring tips, get a good understanding of how fastpass+ works and you will be fine.

The days of the "crowd calendar" having any use are long gone. These days, it's all about how you tour and use fastpass+ that matter.
Thanks! We’ve done everything from super busy to almost empty, so we’re pretty good at adapting. I’ll definitely go back and read the blog. (And figure out what I can about FP - seems like there’s a lot of intricacies)

Thanks! I have a teenager who would be good at that! Is this one where the FP queue is different? Is the regular line the “ride in itself” you mentioned?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter