Have you surprised your kids with a Disney trip?

I love all these stories and would like to surprise me daughter and her half sister (god-daughter) but they do all the planning. They pick the hotel, plan all of the fast passes and even all of the restaurants. They do throw me a bone and schedule one meal at Sci-Fi. I was planning a 12 day stay at the Poly for the next one when they came in and said nope its now AoA. Sigh just for the pool.

Yes. We surprised them. We decided to drive (terrible choice) and they knew we were going to see DH's undergrad campus at Emory and then do something else (it's a LONG drive from ATL to Orlando, starting in Nashville). They figured it out when we went past the gates, but we had worked with concierge to have halloween mickey and minnies in their room and had the bell services hand them an invitation to Mickey's Party and they did really lose it. So, that was some good magic.

The REAL surprise magic that trip though was a late night idea of my husbands. We were staying at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress and the kids had fallen in love with the resident parrot, Merlot. He was down grabbing some drinks and saw the stuffed Merlots. He bought 2 and the woman een gave him extra Merlot things. He put them in their room and the kids were enchanted in the morning with Merlot magic and had so many questions. Like how did they get there, who left them, and they still ask about Merlot magic. Sometimes the random magic is the best magic.

ETA: I would never do another surprise trip. Ever. It sucked. The surprise Merlot magic was absolutely charming however. Build it when you can, perhaps?

Last edited:
We did WDW just last year and have been researching Disneyland together ever since. They know every ride they want to do at DL! They keep asking when we can go and our response is always, "guys, it takes a few years to save up for a trip like that again". LOL. So they'll be happy surprised I am quite certain :) Our kids are 6 and 7, so not old enough to book fast passes or really plan the trip, but we have talked lots about what they would want to do at DL and I am featuring some of those picks (meeting Captian America, the Incredicoaster, Indiana Jones, etc) in the video I am making so they can see shots of what we are doing.

Your kids will be over the moon at a surprise trip!!!! You have had your excited anticipation and planning, which is a big part of the fun and when it comes suddenly, they will be perfectly primed for squeals of joy. Best of all worlds, I'd say. It will be magical.

You have a keen appreciation of how countdown time affects your children, and yourself for that matter. I am sure you will pick just the right amount of lead-in time, a week, a day, or "Let's go RIGHT NOW!" We considered laying out some new Disney pyjamas the night before as a way of introducing the surprise, but figured that would lead to a sleepless night for all. Orchestrating your surprise should be a lot of fun.

DD and I are thinking that we will pick a date just as our FP window opens to announce another trip. Our grandsons will be 15 & 16, if we hit our long range target, so we could get MDE accounts ready for them to jump in with the planning. There is simply no bad age for a Disney trip, is there? When all is quiet in the frantic schedule of athletics and school, we have conversations similar to yours, talking about favourite attractions, and weighing options, such as surfing lessons at TL or a dessert party. Surfing lessons big winner there with the boys. The only trouble(?) is that with all the old faves, and wanting to try something new each trip, our trips need to be longer and longer. Rough, eh?

We've taken several trips. The kids don't know that we're taking a trip this summer. I am going to tell the kids that we're going on a trip. I'm going to wrap up our Magic Bands, and have the kids unwrap them on our way to lunch. Then we'll come home and they'll have an hour or two to pack their favorite things.

We constantly play the "if we were at Disney right now..." game so I have a very good grasp on what meals and rides my kids want me to book.

Yep! IN 2017 and we have another surprise trip planned this august :)

In 2017 we kept everything under wraps until the morning we left for the airport. I even joined a local community theater group doing a showcase of Disney songs (my boys joined with me) which allowed hubby and I to talk about Disney without raising too much suspicion. The night before we were leaving, I brought home new pajamas for the boys - Disney themed of course :) I do this a lot so it wasn't unusual. At 3am the next morning we woke them up and just told them we had to get in the car and run an important errand. We parked in the airport shuttle bus lot, and I handed the kids each a Mickey baseball cap and told them to guess where we were going. Older DS wasn't happy at first (but that was more out of fear because it was his first time on a plane) but he got over it quick :) Younger DS freaked out :)

This year for Christmas we gifted the kids a "year of fun". They have a box with 12 envelopes in it, one for each month. inside is a "certificate" for a fun family adventure that we will have together that month (some stuff is simple like bowling and movies, snow tubing, etc). August is Disney - they will get to open it on Aug 1 so they'll have a little more notice than last time :) We have already been talking to them about planning a trip in 2020 so we've been able to talk about THIS trip pretty openly without them realizing it's happening sooner than later :)

We picked our kids (6 and 3) up from school on a Friday and told them we were on our way to the airport to go to Disney. Our 6YO was excited but not as much as I would have thought. The 3YO was honestly a bit bewildered and nervous about the whole thing. She kept asking if someone would hold her when we got there if she was scared. We did have a 1.5 hour trip to the airport which gave them time to let it sink in, and it turned out great. My 6YO asked if we could not surprise them next time though! We are going in 11 months and they know already!

Here is from when I surprised my oldest daughter a few years ago.

Oh my goodness that was precious! Thank you for sharing!!!
My kids are the exact same, first thing in the morning, "what are we gonna do today?"except I am going to play a youtube video I am making that will break the surprise to them.

My sisters and I are taking our niece (9) & nephew (11) in a few weeks. I made the reservations in October but we told them during Christmas Break. #1 we wanted them to have some time to adjust that they were going with their aunts not their parents. It will be the first time they've been away from both parents at the same time for more than 1 night. Both have anxiety issues him much more than her. #2 I wanted them to be a part of some of the planning. The adults did the resort and meal choices but they watched You Tube videos and gave input on fast passes. They were there once before when they were 3 & 5 so she doesn't remember anything and he remembers some. I found a cute Disney themed treasure hunt on Pintrest that I used that went over very well. All I had to do was to print off the clues and hide them. The final reveal page I printed on card stock and cut up like a puzzle that they had to assemble together.

Surprising DD in 2 weeks on her birthday. We aren't going until Memorial Day (didn't want to pull her out of school), but the anticipation is part of the fun (we hope)! It will be her first trip, so I'm really looking forward to showing her videos, having her help with choosing our FP, etc.

I don't think she has any comprehension of the scope of this, but it's going to be fun for all of us as she learns more & more about it. She's getting new Star Wars luggage with a Disney -themed exploding box inside to spring the surprise. We'll let you know how it goes!

On our very first DW trip, DD was 5 and I was pregnant with DS.

We just told her we were going on vacation to Florida. She had no clue what was in Florida or what we would do. She just knew she got to watch unlimited movies in the van.
I took a picture of her face when we drove under the DW entrance arch. Priceless.

On that trip, every character meal was a surprise. The first was Akershus. She was so happy to meet Belle at the entrance, and she thought that was it. Then, when the princesses started walking around the restaurant while we ate, she was over-the-moon happy.

Yes! We told our kids (5 and 7 at the time) the morning we left. They thought we were going on a business trip with my husband, which is pretty common in the summer. When we told them we were going to Disney instead my son (7) was beyond thrilled. My daughter on the other hand cried. She wanted to go to a hotel with a pool while Daddy worked. Once she understood what we were doing she was fine. I've asked them since if they would like to be surprised about our next trip or help with the planning, they have both said they want a surprise. So... We're going in August and it's so hard to hold it in!! Not sure how we'll tell them this time.

Yes! We’ve surprised them twice. I love planning surprises, specially because they aren’t always asking how many days. now that we’ve been several times we are including them in the planning. So much fun to get their opinion.

Yes! We told our kids (5 and 7 at the time) the morning we left. They thought we were going on a business trip with my husband, which is pretty common in the summer. When we told them we were going to Disney instead my son (7) was beyond thrilled. My daughter on the other hand cried. She wanted to go to a hotel with a pool while Daddy worked. Once she understood what we were doing she was fine. I've asked them since if they would like to be surprised about our next trip or help with the planning, they have both said they want a surprise. So... We're going in August and it's so hard to hold it in!! Not sure how we'll tell them this time.
My kids are the same way, all they want is to stay in a hotel with a pool.

Actually did it twice. First time was just a long weekend to see Christmas decorations when the kids were small. The older two thought they were going to grandparents for the day while DW and I worked. The youngest knew all along, but couldn't talk yet so we were safe. Had to tell them when we were on the bridge on the way to the airport. Smiles the whole flight. The second time was 8 years later, and Christmas morning the family gift was park passes and a note for them to hurry up and pack, as we were leaving ASAP. Both surprises worked well, but they all would rather know ahead of time so they can help with the planning.

Well we did the big reveal this evening and it didn’t exactly go as planned. We wrapped up a big present for my son which included a lightening McQueen suitcase, toy story backpack, personalized t shirts and baseball hat and the magic bands. Included a little picture itinerary I made for him that had his name in the front and said you’re going to Disney world! Also got a huge Mickey Mouse balloon. He was super excited when he saw the present. Once he opened it and we read the page of the itinerary and explained that we would be in WDW for his 5th birthday he said what and really. Then proceeded to play with the balloon for 15 minutes while we all tried to talk to him about the trip. Then when we explained that we would be doing this trip instead of a birthday party here he was actually kind of bummed. This is his first trip so he doesn’t really understand how amazing WDW is yet and I’m sure once he’s there he will forget all about a party. But I’m still kinda sad he wasn’t more excited. Oh well, I’m still super excited! 21 days to go!

We did a countdown with our girls for our Nov 2016 trip , it was their first trip to Disney. The surprise was when we arrived as they had no idea how massive Disney is. They also knew about September 2017, September 2018 and Christmas 2018. We booked another Christmas trip for 2019 that they know about but we are also going this April and they have no idea. Surprises work well with them (They are now 5 and 7) and we surprised them the week before we went to Disney with a Polar Express trip and it worked out well. DD7 wants to have her birthday at Disney since little sister got to in December but I told her we wouldn't be back till December 2019. The night before we leave this April, we will pack our vehicle when they go to bed and wake them up really early and bring them downstairs and tell them. They both know the roads so we can't make something up but telling them at the last possible moment will be great!

Yes they cried all the way to the airport because they wanted to go to school. One kept saying I will never learn to read and become a dentist. They were in kindergarten

I am dying!!!! LOL!!! My DGD would have been that child, crying becuase she was pulled from school! . LOL!!!

We have surprised my DGD a few times, but never day of because she needs time to process things. DD and DSIL put her vacation clothes next to her bags and had them in her room for one surprise trip. They picked me up from PT, grabbed DGD from school and she found her little Cinderella suitcase ready to pack. An hour later she received her phone call from Arielle, IIRC, and was over the moon.

Kady generallly likes to be a part of the planning, and needs time to think everything through, so surprises are timed to give her that time. Normally she likes 2 weeks to organize her life (she is THAT kid) and prepare for her departure, the trip and her return home. WE have a trip back to Aruba planned for her graduation, and I have no idea when DD and DSIL will spring that one on her. Truthfully, they could tell her this on the way to the airport and she would be fine. She has announced all she would need is a bathing suit, a cover up and a few pairs of shorts in a carry on. LOL!!!

We tried to surprise our kids for the last night of Hanukah this past year but they weren't all that impressed, boys 4 and 6. We did boxes inside of boxes with the magic bands inside the last box. It was 60 days away so we did a paper disney chain that allowed us to tear off each day until we left.
The boys got more excited the closer it got to the day. We had intended on doing the full surprise by heading to the airport but with needing to get approval for the school and trying to pack their stuff without them knowing, we thought we'd do it this way. It was still fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter