Have you ridden Jungle Cruise in a wheelchair?

JoannaOhio

17-Year Cancer Survivor!!!
If you have ridden Jungle Cruise in a wheelchair - without transferring - can you tell me what the boarding and exit situation is? I've seen pictures of the wheelchair boats at IASW, so I know my DSIL will be able to board and exit easily in his electric WC without any problems. Just wondering if the Jungle Cruise has a ramp, a lift (like on the buses) or what. I think I read somewhere that only one wheelchair can be accommodated per Jungle Cruise boat - (and I don't know if all of the JC boats can take even one WC). Since POC is definitely not accessible without transfer and stepping down, we don't want to miss Jungle Cruise, but would like some specific information in advance if possible. Thanks for any help you can give.

:grouphug:

It is a special boat that is brought online for a wheelchair user. I don't know how many are available. I have not seen it myself but understand that you roll on and then it is turned so you are facing forward. I would assume it has a ramp or is a flat entrance. I have seen it used but did not see the person get on. I am usually asked if I need it be choose to transfer since I am able.

We have not used it either (the line longer than we wanted to wait the times we were in the area).
I believe they just have one boat and they bring it on line like Talking Hands said when there is someone who needs it.
I don't remember who, but I'm pretty sure someone who posts on this board fairly frequently has ridden in the wheelchair boat.

we road it with my son 6yo in a wc

we had to wait bout 5-10 min for it to come wich was no prob since they let us in the wheelchair exit with no line

there is 1 or 2 it comes when they need it

its a ramp that turns right fold out and onto dock you roll in
and secure it comes in the boat and turns straight and u stay there

it was fine easy to do and use

only thin is people beside your party will sit on the edge of the boat on the bench beside you if you or your child dosnt mind that its fine

have fun
scott

I carried Michaela on but Megan stayed in her wheelchair like Scottsod said the ramp turns you wheelon and the ramp turns to face forward. We had to wait for them to bring the boat out. The boat with the lift is named Bertha.

Thanks so much for your responses. Does the wheelchair boat still have a skipper with all the corny commentary? It wouldn't be the same without that.

The boat still needs a captain, so I know it does have one (one of the Captains had posted about the boat while they were in the testing phase.)

We have been on Bertha several times. and she is the only one right now.
It is a platform that llifts up and then they swing the platform out and lower a ramp out. you then drive forward on to it. they then swing you so that you are facing forward and lower you down. When the ride it done you then get lifted back up. the platform is again twisted so that you drive off going forward again.
Don't go through the regular line for this just go to the exit and a CM will help you. since there is only one boat it can somestimes take al;ittle time to get on exspecialy if ther are other chairs waiting. :wave2: :bounce:

From your description, pugdog, it sounds as if the wheelchair stays on the platform throughout the ride - which means that Bertha can only accommodate one wheelchair per trip. Is that correct?

I knew there was a pretty long thread from the past when the wheelchair boat went into service.
I found it! Safari Steve (who answered most of the questions on that thread) was a WDW CM working on the Haunted Mansion and the Jungle Cruise.

Thanks so much for all the info. You guys are the best! I now have a very good image in my head of how this boat works. I also learned that even if there are a number of wheelchairs waiting, those guests may not all need the wheelchair lift - if they are able to transfer but just not able to stand in the waiting line. DSIL will definitely not be able to transfer. Should we still get a FP for this ride?

You probably won't need it but if there is a long line for the ride they will give you a time to return to ride it.

I have ridden in it. Works pretty cool. The only things is as it is lowered down the CM make stupid "this is the ToT for the MK" jokes, every freaking time. It's ok for kids and all, but sometimes I just want to politely tell them they don't have to patronize me while this thing is getting in place.

LindsayDunn228 said:
I have ridden in it. Works pretty cool. The only things is as it is lowered down the CM make stupid "this is the ToT for the MK" jokes, every freaking time. It's ok for kids and all, but sometimes I just want to politely tell them they don't have to patronize me while this thing is getting in place.
I'll warn my DSIL that those jokes are coming, and it's all part of what Disney considers to be "funny". After we've experienced it, I might drop them a note to explain why it is condescending to disabled adults - who already are perceived somewhat as "children" by many able-bodied folks. However, I want to be able to comment on it from first-hand experience.

Thanks Joanna :)

I say every time because every time I have ridden it they've said it, and I'm talking years apart. Hopefully they won't go it to your SIL. If they do and she is bugged by it, SHE needs to say something.

LindsayDunn228 said:
the CM make stupid "this is the ToT for the MK" jokes, every freaking time.

It wouldn't be the Jungle Cruise without tired jokes.

(Quick! Name the 3 oldest attractions at the Magic Kingdom. Hint: #'s 2 and 3 are the Carousel and the Main Street vehicles ...

(keep reading)

And the oldest attraction at the Magic Kingdom?

The jokes on the Jungle Cruise!)

Eric, I agree there are tired jokes throughout the entire ride. But I find this one annoying on a personal level. It simply just isn't necessary. I am not a child in need of being entertained while the lift is getting in place. Nor am I a developmentally delayed adult who is scared out of my mind on this lift and need to be joked around with. I just feel it's patronizing and unnecessary. Just my opnion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter