Have you ever cheated on a test?

Does turning in the same paper (with minor modifications) in two different courses count as cheating? I wrote a paper on Mass Transit in an Urban Sociology course and revised it slightly for some business course.

And I saved a paper from my senior year in HS English and used it in a college literature course.
I call that repurposing! It was your work to begin with...and it was yours to use again!

Yes
To be a JV girls golf coach, I needed to take/pass an extremely long online exam.
The head coach kept a copy of the answer key, and provided it to anyone that had to take the test.

Yup, economics 101. I cheated off a friend who was sitting in front of me (stadium seating) and my boyfriend who was sitting beside me. Friend got a C, boyfriend got an A. I got a B, never got caught.

I was "caught" once when I wasn't cheating. I'd finished my test and was sitting there, waiting for the others to finish and for the professor to collect the exam. I was just sitting there, looked at the clock, looked out the window... and realized that I couldn't remember if I put my name on the exam or not. Turned my paper over and sure enough, I hadn't so I wrote down my name. Prof showed up 15 seconds later, took my exam, and said to meet him after class. He grilled and grilled me, but didn't believe I didn't cheat. He didn't bat an eyelash when I queried why I would have cheated for the paper of the C- student sitting next to me when I was carrying an A. He gave me a zero on the test and I ended up with a B+ in the class. Grrrr... honestly, I wasn't cheating! (and this happened before I ever took econ101, so it's not like it was karma or anything!)

I don't remember cheating on any tests. - But I was lucky as far as academic skills went, so I really wasn't tempted.

Does turning in the same paper (with minor modifications) in two different courses count as cheating? I wrote a paper on Mass Transit in an Urban Sociology course and revised it slightly for some business course.

Where I went to school, we were required to do that! We had a senior research project that we had to write up in different styles for two different classes - English (as an emotional story) and Science or History (as a technical paper). I think it was designed to teach us "know your audience".

it is specifically deemed as plagiarism at both my kid's (different) colleges.

when i found this out i told my kids and dh i would have been in huge trouble had this been the policy when/where i attended b/c i reused the identical research paper i had written my senior year of high school w/only minor revisions for multiple college classes.

I did this as well. I didn’t know you weren’t supposed to do it and never understood how it was plagerism if it was your own work. Especially when plenty of faculty rework their papers to submit to various journals.

It was your work to begin with! I consider that totally fair game.

Last edited:

I had a French class in junior high where myself and this other girl were sort of the undisputed top of the class. There was an exam scheduled the day after some big party and a group of students got together and asked the two of us to throw the exam. We did, and the fact that we had not done well on the exam convinced our teacher that the unit hadn't been taught properly. The class redid the unit and took a different exam days later on the same material. The results of the first exam were thrown out.

not sure if this counts as cheating but when 2 of my friends were in 10th grade

we were in 2 different gym classes--same class with same teacher just different well I was in class with one of my friends and other friend was in the other class--she had class the day before us and we were going to have a test well she told us that every answer was true--so other friend and me marked all the answers true and got them all right

I suppose that does count as cheating but for all we knew there could have been 2 different tests

Oh, wait. My wife willingly wrote a paper for me in college one time. Does that count?

I don't even think I asked her. I'm pretty sure it was her idea.
Yep - that totally counts.

And I saved a paper from my senior year in HS English and used it in a college literature course.
:scratchin Hmmm - this one's a little trickier. I'll pray on it and get back to you. :laughing:

Last edited:

Yes, and I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids.

Don't ask me about my connections, but I just became privy to actual footage of @Dead2009's cheating scandal. That face is definitely a face of a test cheater!! :sad2:

scooby-doo-unmasking-gif-4.gif

Not that I can recall, which probably just means from middle school on I definitely didn't.

But while I remember quite a bit about elementary school I don't remember much of anything about tests and test-taking. I don't recall ever struggling with much, except for math in my last year of elementary school. But I think math tests by that level would be difficult to cheat on since you'd need to show work. I do recall being a people-pleaser type, though, so I can imagine myself wanting to always do really well on tests. I suppose that might lead a kid to sneak a peek at a spelling word or something. So I may have done that--or I may have tried. I've had life-long vision problems, so I would have had to be sitting very close to my neighboring student to successfully cheat. Maybe that was my saving grace as a kid. The temptation might have been there, but the physical ability was not? ;)

I do recall, as a kid, trying to shield my papers from other students' prying eyes, though. I laugh about it now because my youngest is the same. He's always so annoyed when he believes someone has tried to cheat off his test. 😄

I remember an incident where one guy got caught cheating in a college Statistics course. The professor left the room temporarily and this guy dug out his textbook and was rifling through it when the professor returned. The guy gave some BS excuse. The prof seized the textbook but left him finish the test. We never saw that guy in class again.

Not intentionally, but on more than one occasion, as I was letting my eyes wander around the room while thinking during a test (it's something I do instinctively, helps me think), I happened to see an answer on the paper of someone sitting near me. It's hard to avoid when you have multiple people sitting within a 3 ft radius. And then I would realize that their answer was right, and I had made a dumb mistake. I couldn't then bring myself to NOT correct my mistake, even though I probably should have left it as-is, at that point.

Also, I did recycle work from a couple of projects between classes at two different schools that I was taking classes with. The classes were very similar in topic and content, so no surprise that the requirements for assignments would often overlap. It was still completely my own work, and I had to do a bit of modification to make it fit the requirements exactly, but it was still easier than starting from scratch. The honor code didn't specifically mention this scenario, so I don't think it was completely terrible.

No, I was a good student and never really needed to. I’m a nerd who studied all the time. :blush:

I think the only thing I’ve ever cheated on is a diet. ;)

Slightly different kind of "cheating" but deceptive nonetheless...

I got a bad grade on a math test - probably in the 4th or 5th grade. The policy was that a parent had to sign the test if you didn't do well. I forged my mom's signature because I didn't want her to see. Stupidly, I left the test with the forged signature on my desk and my mom saw it. To this day, I hate the way she made me feel after she caught me.

MY DS come home yesterday after having a Physics test in school. They only had to know 2 formulas. I guess one girl had these written down some where. Teacher walked by, grabbed her test and said sorry but that is an automatic F.

So in college I worked and went to school. When I say "worked" I mean like 30-40 hours a week. So Sr year and I have this International Finance class and work is killing me and I don't think I will have enough study time. So the test is basically going to be, out of these 7 essay questions the prof will pick two for the test. I start thinking, wait a minute I just get multiple test books (empty notebooks you use for tests) from the bookstore and write all the possible combinations of questions and the day of the test grab the right one and turn it in. Problem was it would be hard to shuffle in your backpack for that long to get the right one. So the day of the test I took it and wrote the answers. Thing is I had spent so much time rewriting the answers into multiple books that I had basically memorized the answers to all 7 questions. Made an A on the test and avoided cheating.

Slightly different kind of "cheating" but deceptive nonetheless...

I got a bad grade on a math test - probably in the 4th or 5th grade. The policy was that a parent had to sign the test if you didn't do well. I forged my mom's signature because I didn't want her to see. Stupidly, I left the test with the forged signature on my desk and my mom saw it. To this day, I hate the way she made me feel after she caught me.

My brother tried the same thing. He might have gotten away with it too (except for some meddling kids... ;) :p ) but he never returned the first attempts he made at forging our mom's signature, so the teacher called home one day wondering why only some of the papers came back. My mom said she didn't sign any papers and wondered what the teacher was talking about? She went to my brother's room and found the rejects under his bed. :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!