Have MS/Fibro -- ECV help?

allicat1214

CajunDisneyMom
I have MS and/or fibromyalgia.....the doctor's can't make up their mind. I get tired after about an hour or so of activity and have to rest. It's only been about a year.

I have ressies for Poly in Feb. 02 (5 days/4nites) for myself, dh, ds (10) and dd (6). We chose Poly specifically to have easy access for going back and resting.

We do plan to start a family walking program to build up endurance, but not sure how well I'm going to do.

In general, we have reduced the number of places we go to as a family, and when we do I always have to have my soccer-mom (camping) chair so that I can sit wherever and whenever. However, I have not ever used an ECV or wheelchair.

Am thinking of renting an ECV for our trip, just so that I don't slow everyone down (and to carry our stuff!). But I have a few questions:

-is it better to rent an ECV at the parks or from an outside company?

-Can any other moms offer advice on talking with kids about potential embarrassment?

Any help would be appreciated!

-

I would rent from an outside provider.
As for dealing with people who are clods. Tell your kids to ignore them. If your children know your diagnosis they are likely to be very supportive and protective. Mine sure are. Mine also have a sense of humor. They bought me a bike horn to let people know I was coming behind them. They will grab it and honk at people in my way even more than I will.

Rent from one of the outside companies, that way you will have the ECV when you are between resorts and parks. The distances between activities are vast, reserve your strength for the fun stuff.

Click on the link in my signature for information about pacing, the GAC (which you should get) and the link to the thread about Constructive ways to deal with staring. :)

I vote for an off-site vendor. You will then have the ECV for trips to Boardwalk and Downtown Disney. Kids won't be embarrassed if you aren't. Treat the EVC as a tool to help all of you enjoy the trip to its fullest. You'll be surprised by the number of folks using ECVs. You won't stand out as much as you think. I have used Walker Medical with great satisfaction. www.walkermobility.com

Welcome.
You already got some very good advice. Here are links to all the different off site vendors that DIS posters have had good experiences using:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

Almost all the WDW transportation is equipped with lifts (or ramps for the monorails) so that ecvs can go on without a problem.
Go and have lots of fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter