Hassling DAS folks in FP lines?

But a few rides like Splash Mountain have only one access path without stairs so guests with wheelchairs have to use the same path for both entrance and exit. For Splash' they have to be sent through the exit.

Well, this raises another point. Technically on some of those rides the special accommodations actually help the park and the regular guests and keep lines moving. Yeah, people in scooters probably could go through a lot of the normal lines, but Disney can design accommodation that's a lot faster and seamless. Wanting to deny that to people is just vindictive and serves no purpose since its making your wait shorter.

The FP+ queue is currently used for DAS, rider swap, Club 33 and I think there are some limited VIP tours. WDW may also give recovery FPs in certain situations. So not everybody using the "FP+ queue" has a DAS.

This ⬆️

We have been to Disney about once a week since it opened. We have been asked several times by guests in standby how we got to go in the “FP” line.

I politely said what @lanejudy wrote when asked.

MK has added some signs that may help. But I haven’t seen them at other parks.

A3CAF592-C662-4EF0-BB3E-A5CF481CAB4D.jpegC8056C32-6BD5-40E3-9D33-40D306772D1E.jpeg

Remember - Big 'ol pageant princess smile and a super southern "Bless your heart!!!", and then ignore them.

And have an amazing time 😉
Seriously made me laugh. “Bless your heart” is simply the best retort ever 😂

To the OP, I never encountered anyone being rude -or even asking me any Q’s this trip (end of Oct/beg of Nov). Looks, yes- but curious, not upset (& probably much more curious about the “healthy young woman” in the wheelchair than the line I was in 😆).

The only time I ever heard a nasty comment directed to me at Disney was when a (grumpy) woman bellowed to her son that it would be horrible to be in Disney alone- and how no one should ever want to do that. I was actually only temporarily separated from my family, but I bet her son wished he was alone right then as he quietly tried to reassure her that different people enjoy different things... well, bless her heart!!! 😂😂

Thanks to the OP who asked this courageous question. I’ve been worried about this very thing, myself, and knowing there are others who are using the FP line entrances eases my mind for an upcoming trip with my adult son who has autism and severe bipolar disorder (i.e. doesn’t “look” like someone with a disability). I’m very worried about the issue of him feeling conspicuous if he uses DAS, and someone makes a comment. I think I’ll share the knowledge that others use the accommodation access area as well.

Thanks to the OP who asked this courageous question. I’ve been worried about this very thing, myself, and knowing there are others who are using the FP line entrances eases my mind for an upcoming trip with my adult son who has autism and severe bipolar disorder (i.e. doesn’t “look” like someone with a disability). I’m very worried about the issue of him feeling conspicuous if he uses DAS, and someone makes a comment. I think I’ll share the knowledge that others use the accommodation access area as well.
I too have a hidden disability but I've not run into any trouble at all since reopening. Have a great trip!

I can empathize with people's complaints and anger. There's nothing fun in waiting in a stand-by line for me. While it doesn't really seem to bother some people, most people don't like it. I got to be a master of the FP+ before Covid, and only really pulled by ADHD card when they got rid of them. I think that anybody who wants a comeback time should be able to have that option, I don't think it should just be reserved for people with disabilities. The park just needs to understand that if the technology is there, it should just be universally available to me. I think its silly having a system that only some people can use and not all. Yes, its important to offer line alternatives, and I think that stand-by line only is a stupid and antiquated way of doing it, but we shouldn't get better treatment or access when everybody has made sacrifices and paid a lot of money to be there.

But they're not allowed to verify the disability with a qualified doctor. So in effect, you already have a system where anyone can get one who wants one. Congress either needs to let parks closely examine notes and verify their authenticity, or the parks just need to find a way to blend ADA access with their normal system. Universal is able to get away with not having ADA passes at Volcano Bay due to the Tapu Tapu bands.
Frankly I think someone wanted to get a DAS without having a valid need is pretty selfish. Be happy you don’t have a reason to use the DAS and enjoy Disney. SMH.

Just to clarify a previous comment. If you have a legitimate, but, invisible disability that prevents you from standing in line for any length of time then that's fair enough. But, if you suffer from anxiety and stressful situations can bring on an attack then avoid that situation, that's what I try and do. I'm sorry, but standing in line isn't one of them as we have to do that in daily life.
I had to learn to deal with my anxiety attacks on my own as it is only recently it has been recognised as a condition and I did that because I knew I couldn't expect any concessions.
I see far too many people, adults and children, with life restricting or life limiting issues to feel sorry for myself and talking myself out of my anxiety attacks really helps and I am certainly not going to seek a DAS when I am physically perfectly capable of doing things.

I'd go with the knowledge that everywhere, at WDW and outside of WDW, there will be people who are angry, intolerant, ignorant, curious, etc. So whether people have experienced it or not so far, it really doesn't mean it will or won't happen. How that affects your anxiety is up to you - what tools do you have to deal with such issues? If you don't have any right now, start researching and practicing. As a wise therapist said to me, "Anxiety happens. How you deal with it is the important thing." There are a lot of online resources available now that we've been in the land of the pandemic for so long, so it might even be easier to find something that can work for you - I wish you the best of luck, from a fellow anxious person, and the mom of one, and the godmother of another, and so on and so on...
That therapist is absolutely right. I was brought up never to feel self pity, not by a caring parent, but, by a rather cold mother. She even told me to stop feeling sorry for myself 6 weeks after my husband died and discouraged grieving for him. Now, I realise that was a horrible and damaging thing to have done and I don't advocate that, but, at the same time I think we molly coddle youngsters who suffer from anxiety by not giving them real tools to cope with them and letting them get away with stuff because they have anxiety rather than helping them deal with it constructively.
Anyways, I guess being older I take a different view on things.

Just to clarify a previous comment. If you have a legitimate, but, invisible disability that prevents you from standing in line for any length of time then that's fair enough. But, if you suffer from anxiety and stressful situations can bring on an attack then avoid that situation, that's what I try and do. I'm sorry, but standing in line isn't one of them as we have to do that in daily life.
I had to learn to deal with my anxiety attacks on my own as it is only recently it has been recognised as a condition and I did that because I knew I couldn't expect any concessions.
I see far too many people, adults and children, with life restricting or life limiting issues to feel sorry for myself and talking myself out of my anxiety attacks really helps and I am certainly not going to seek a DAS when I am physically perfectly capable of doing things.
I suppose my point is that anyone who is capable of physically standing in line should do so, because the DAS doesn’t exist for those folks. Folks using the DAS are not feeling sorry for themselves and certainly don’t have to explain to anyone (except guest services) why they are using the pass. There are visible and invisible conditions and severity of both are unique to individuals. I guess the bottom line is that everyone is entitled to enjoy their trip in the way that is most accommodating to their abilities, and mostly people need to mind their own business and focus on enjoying their own trip!

We’ve gotten the “he looks fine/normal” comment a bit, but believe it or not mostly from people we know. To a casual observer at Disney, my son may look “normal” at first glance, but they’d figure out quickly something was different if they spoke to him or watched his reactions to loud noises.
I'm with you.
These are the same people who are behind me in a line when my son melts down , etc and they are saying what's the matter with that kid or sometimes parent. I would love to stand in a line even short as 20 people like " normal" people do .
Our life is great but our normal is diffrent than other familes

I'm with you.
These are the same people who are behind me in a line when my son melts down , etc and they are saying what's the matter with that kid or sometimes parent. I would love to stand in a line even short as 20 people like " normal" people do .
Our life is great but our normal is diffrent than other familes
Same thing here. And other people don’t realize how comments about “looking fine/normal” or your child “acting out” during a meltdown from what they assume is not being disciplined really stings for both the child and parent and something you can’t just unhear and go about your day (as much as you would love to). You never know what is going on in others’ lives so maybe, especially at Disney, everyone can give the gift of grace to families that may be using DAS or other accommodations.

My son looks completely normal but suffers from ADHD, a Auditory Sensory disorder, mild anxiety, and impulse control issues. He has days where he could stand in line for hours and not have a single issue. However, all it takes is one trigger, a loud noise, his older brother aggravating him, being hangry, too many people...etc etc and that's it. Then you're the parent with the kid having a violent melt down ruining everyone's experience. That's when DAS is a life saver.

I've never had a nasty comment but once and I responded nasty back with a "Club 33, have fun waiting in line peasant..." which was not really nice of me but we all have our moments. Usually we just keep walking straight ahead and get on and enjoy our ride. I've just accepted that it's not really a proper response to be angry at anyone who is just ignorant of our issues. Additionally, why would I allow someone else to ruin my experience? I have two kids who are perfectly capable of that themselves sometimes, I don't need anyone else's help! :)

I've never had a nasty comment but once and I responded nasty back with a "Club 33, have fun waiting in line peasant..." which was not really nice of me but we all have our moments. Usually we just keep walking straight ahead and get on and enjoy our ride. I've just accepted that it's not really a proper response to be angry at anyone who is just ignorant of our issues. Additionally, why would I allow someone else to ruin my experience? I have two kids who are perfectly capable of that themselves sometimes, I don't need anyone else's help! :)
Great response! Love the peasant part!

Some people are just rude! One of our team members injured his arm and had to wear a sling throughout the VIP tour. This was pre-Covid so the FP line was packed and the Plaid (tour guide) pretty much blended in with the crowd. Of course there were hecklers. Thankfully very few. There were loud inquiries on how a broken arm could facilitate so many people. The disapproval was also directed at the strangers in front and behind our group. We had a small group, but somehow they thought the "injured arm" was responsible for letting 10-15 people skipping the line.

Great response! Love the peasant part!

Some people are just rude!

I've found answering rude with more rude to be counter-productive. Being aggressive raises adrenaline, which can trigger anxiety, so the OP shouldn't do that. There's always going to be someone who is miserable in his own skin, and feels that the way to feel better about himself is to bring down others. People who act out, say cruel things, etc, are pretty miserable at the moment. I've told my daughters to imagine how horrible those people feel, how rotten their lives have been, and to feel sorry for them. In the high school I work at, we respond to acting out with acknowledgement, kindness, and empathy. That's not something you can do in a WDW queue most of the time, but simply walking past and not responding with rudeness can keep the situation from escalating.

The OP (or anyone being asked) should just not respond and move on. If the person asking really wants to know they can ask a CM. I think most people are just genuinely curious about why people are in the FP line as it's not being offered. I doubt it's malicious. My husband even asked this when we were there recently, he thought maybe FP opened and we (aka me, the trip planner) just missed it. I'm sure 99% of people aren't concerned about people with special needs getting a jump on them.

The OP (or anyone being asked) should just not respond and move on. If the person asking really wants to know they can ask a CM. I think most people are just genuinely curious about why people are in the FP line as it's not being offered. I doubt it's malicious. My husband even asked this when we were there recently, he thought maybe FP opened and we (aka me, the trip planner) just missed it. I'm sure 99% of people aren't concerned about people with special needs getting a jump on them.
granted this was way before covid but I remember a trip to Disneyland when I mas able to skip most of a line because they needed at party of on to dell a ride. got past everyone until the guy at head of line for next ride who would not me past. CM was like I need her to get past you. he was like I am next in line, CM was like okay come on then but guy was part of a group of 10 and didnt want to ride without his group. CM told him then if she doesnt get you your group wont get to ride so he finally lets me pass with it is not fair to let people cut in line so yes it can happen

I just got back from 5 days at WDW and used the DAS in each park. I didn't have any negative issues, but there were a few confused looks from people obviously wondering how we got to use the FP line. One particular ride a couple was in front of us and was just told there was no FP at this time and they walked to the side while we checked in for our return time and entered the FP line. Nobody ever said anything to us though.

Like others have said there are several rides where we actually went in through the exit area so nobody would have even noticed for those. Kali River Rapids, Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion were like this. Jungle Cruise had a different entrance than normal as well, but it's still fairly visible.

I wouldn't worry much about it. I don't have a visible disability so I tend to wonder what people think sometimes, but I don't let it bother me. Pretty sure they'd never want to go through what I have to endure on a daily basis just to get themselves into the FP line. Go and enjoy yourself. It'll be fine.

We went in August. I definitely felt more “exposed” in that we couldn’t blend in with the normal fastpass riders. Got a few looks, but no one confronted us. Of course, lines were also so short then that there wasn’t really time for anyone to say anything nasty as everyone’s lines were moving quickly. The biggest difference for me was that I usually won’t use DAS unless lines are longer than 45 minutes. And in August, I used it in some shorter lines just to feel more comfortable having less potential for covid exposure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter