Hassling DAS folks in FP lines?

fabfemmeboy

DIS Veteran
A bit of an odd/paranoid-sounding question, but I have anxiety so here goes:

Elsewhere on these boards, at least a couple times a week there are posts from people asking "Who's using the FP lanes?" It ranges from the simply curious (e.g. "I see people in there but thought they weren't being used to give everyone more space?") to the somewhat irritated to the kinda outright hostile. Whereas before DAS-users weren't particularly visible, just another person waiting in the FP line, with no FP we're a lot more conspicuous, and people are ignorant.

So my question is this: For those of you who have been back since reopening and who use a DAS, have there been any issues with people, well, being obnoxiously ignorant?

I know, I know, it's a tool the same as any other tool, it helps people (myself included), less they're paying my bills pay them no mind, etc. But I would rather be prepared than have it startle me. Has this been an actual problem, or is this the sort of thing where people only express cruelty from behind the safety of anonymity?

I'd go with the knowledge that everywhere, at WDW and outside of WDW, there will be people who are angry, intolerant, ignorant, curious, etc. So whether people have experienced it or not so far, it really doesn't mean it will or won't happen. How that affects your anxiety is up to you - what tools do you have to deal with such issues? If you don't have any right now, start researching and practicing. As a wise therapist said to me, "Anxiety happens. How you deal with it is the important thing." There are a lot of online resources available now that we've been in the land of the pandemic for so long, so it might even be easier to find something that can work for you - I wish you the best of luck, from a fellow anxious person, and the mom of one, and the godmother of another, and so on and so on...

I developed anxiety as a young teen and still have bouts linked to having been through some terrible events in my life. I don't mean to offend, but, I travel to WDW on my own from the UK and I don't expect special treatment like asking for a DAS. I see children and adults who have physical and mental disabilities that restrict their lives 24/7 and, of course the Make A Wish children and while anxiety and the mild PTSD I am prone to is unpleasant I keep it in perspective in relation to these guests and how fortunate I am not to dependant on a wheelchair, ECV, equipment or on other people to live my everyday life. I find WDW even at its busiest is one of the happiest and relaxing places to be, even if I feel an attack coming on I find a quiet place to ride it out. Let's keep DAS for those who really need it.

I developed anxiety as a young teen and still have bouts linked to having been through some terrible events in my life. I don't mean to offend, but, I travel to WDW on my own from the UK and I don't expect special treatment like asking for a DAS. I see children and adults who have physical and mental disabilities that restrict their lives 24/7 and, of course the Make A Wish children and while anxiety and the mild PTSD I am prone to is unpleasant I keep it in perspective in relation to these guests and how fortunate I am not to dependant on a wheelchair, ECV, equipment or on other people to live my everyday life. I find WDW even at its busiest is one of the happiest and relaxing places to be, even if I feel an attack coming on I find a quiet place to ride it out. Let's keep DAS for those who really need it.

OP was not saying he needed a DAS for his anxiety, but rather that he is anxious about the judgement of others right now when he uses his DAS for his legitimate disability.

OP, I have also noticed the increase of these types of posts here and elsewhere. It is especially concerning as people keep using language like, “Everyone looks fine, why are they using DAS?”

I’ll be honest - we went in August and used the DAS often for our autistic son who looks totally “normal.” I did unfortunately notice a lot more staring, and it really bothered me as I struggle from anxiety, too. The upside is that it didn’t bother or upset my husband or children at all, only me. We only got one negative comment in the Splash Mountain line. The standby was incredibly long and we were basically walking past everyone. A young couple said loudly so we could hear, “We should pretend to be disabled so we can skip the line like them.” We are extremely non-confrontational, so we just walked by quickly. It sucks, but I do think there are more people watching and wondering now that the FP lines aren’t open to most guests.

A bit of an odd/paranoid-sounding question, but I have anxiety so here goes:

Elsewhere on these boards, at least a couple times a week there are posts from people asking "Who's using the FP lanes?" It ranges from the simply curious (e.g. "I see people in there but thought they weren't being used to give everyone more space?") to the somewhat irritated to the kinda outright hostile. Whereas before DAS-users weren't particularly visible, just another person waiting in the FP line, with no FP we're a lot more conspicuous, and people are ignorant.

So my question is this: For those of you who have been back since reopening and who use a DAS, have there been any issues with people, well, being obnoxiously ignorant?

I know, I know, it's a tool the same as any other tool, it helps people (myself included), less they're paying my bills pay them no mind, etc. But I would rather be prepared than have it startle me. Has this been an actual problem, or is this the sort of thing where people only express cruelty from behind the safety of anonymity?

First of all, I think that *a lot* of this is anonymous chest-thumping. There are a lot of people who find it easy to be a bully from behind a keyboard where no one can actually see them; even those who might say something as you pass by in line (see @DisneyElite4's experience just above) would most likely backpeddle pretty quickly if directly confronted "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize why you needed the DAS, or how it worked..."

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

To be honest, yes it *can* happen, it has happened to others, and yet, most of the time that I go to WDW, I have had no trouble. Rarely am I directly confronted; occasionally there might be a snarky remark in passing, but you know me - I ignore that. At most, I give them a big ol' smile, and a "Bless your heart" in my best southern accent.

The likelihood of running into one of these bullies is quite slim. But, you can still be prepared - have a witty or pithy remark, or just practice giving them the old 300 yard snooty waiter stare (you know what I'm talkin about LOL I know you do😉) and go on, and enjoy your trip. Knowing that you are ready will help you feel more prepared, and more confident.

I *promise* you, if you do encounter one of these people, they will be way more upset than you ever will be. And (I can't stress this enough) that's *their* problem, not yours. Disney has the DAS program for a reason. And this part is important; it's what you really do need to remember.

You are granted a DAS - by Disney - for a reason. What that reason is, is no one's business but yours.

No where does it say that anyone but Disney gets to decide about your use of the DAS BUT DISNEY.

Disney does NOT confer with the bullies about who gets to have a DAS because it's NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

It's Disney's Park, and Disney's rules, and if you need to use a DAS, then it's no big deal, because Disney designed the system to meet all of the applicable rules and regulations, and to be as fair to *everyone* (able-bodied included) as possible. If the guy in line who is upset doesn't know how it works, that's fine - most folks who never need it never learn about it - but it's not your job to educate anyone, either.

Admittedly, it's a *very* publicly visual accommodation - especially right now when the FP+ lines are not being used for anything else. And the great majority of the public does not understand how or why the DAS works; all they know is that it looks to them like you are cutting the line. They don't know that you have actually been waiting the same amount of time less 10 minutes to allow for mobility.

There is also a group of Guests who remember the bad old days of GAC, when there was a lot of abuse, and it made a certain portion of the Disney Guest population suspicious of anyone who gets anything that appears to be "special treatment". (These are the same people who will never grumble about the folks who pay thousands of dollars for the VIP tours with the Plaids that whisk them in and out of everything at all of the Parks, and give them a true "front of the line" experience. In their world, those people are to be envied and admired.)

So, to recap: You are granted the use of the DAS system by no one other than Disney.

Disney decides - and no one else - who gets to use that system in their Parks.

If another Guest does not like that Disney offers the DAS, and/or how Disney implements the use of the DAS, that is between them and Disney. As they like to say down in these parts... You don't have a dog in that hunt. They need to go on to Guest Relations and talk to those folks if they don't like it. Not your problem.

Remember - Big 'ol pageant princess smile and a super southern "Bless your heart!!!", and then ignore them.

And have an amazing time 😉

First of all, I think that *a lot* of this is anonymous chest-thumping. There are a lot of people who find it easy to be a bully from behind a keyboard where no one can actually see them; even those who might say something as you pass by in line (see @DisneyElite4's experience just above) would most likely backpeddle pretty quickly if directly confronted "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize why you needed the DAS, or how it worked..."

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

To be honest, yes it *can* happen, it has happened to others, and yet, most of the time that I go to WDW, I have had no trouble. Rarely am I directly confronted; occasionally there might be a snarky remark in passing, but you know me - I ignore that. At most, I give them a big ol' smile, and a "Bless your heart" in my best southern accent.

The likelihood of running into one of these bullies is quite slim. But, you can still be prepared - have a witty or pithy remark, or just practice giving them the old 300 yard snooty waiter stare (you know what I'm talkin about LOL I know you do😉) and go on, and enjoy your trip. Knowing that you are ready will help you feel more prepared, and more confident.

I *promise* you, if you do encounter one of these people, they will be way more upset than you ever will be. And (I can't stress this enough) that's *their* problem, not yours. Disney has the DAS program for a reason. And this part is important; it's what you really do need to remember.

You are granted a DAS - by Disney - for a reason. What that reason is, is no one's business but yours.

No where does it say that anyone but Disney gets to decide about your use of the DAS BUT DISNEY.

Disney does NOT confer with the bullies about who gets to have a DAS because it's NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

It's Disney's Park, and Disney's rules, and if you need to use a DAS, then it's no big deal, because Disney designed the system to meet all of the applicable rules and regulations, and to be as fair to *everyone* (able-bodied included) as possible. If the guy in line who is upset doesn't know how it works, that's fine - most folks who never need it never learn about it - but it's not your job to educate anyone, either.

Admittedly, it's a *very* publicly visual accommodation - especially right now when the FP+ lines are not being used for anything else. And the great majority of the public does not understand how or why the DAS works; all they know is that it looks to them like you are cutting the line. They don't know that you have actually been waiting the same amount of time less 10 minutes to allow for mobility.

There is also a group of Guests who remember the bad old days of GAC, when there was a lot of abuse, and it made a certain portion of the Disney Guest population suspicious of anyone who gets anything that appears to be "special treatment". (These are the same people who will never grumble about the folks who pay thousands of dollars for the VIP tours with the Plaids that whisk them in and out of everything at all of the Parks, and give them a true "front of the line" experience. In their world, those people are to be envied and admired.)

So, to recap: You are granted the use of the DAS system by no one other than Disney.

Disney decides - and no one else - who gets to use that system in their Parks.

If another Guest does not like that Disney offers the DAS, and/or how Disney implements the use of the DAS, that is between them and Disney. As they like to say down in these parts... You don't have a dog in that hunt. They need to go on to Guest Relations and talk to those folks if they don't like it. Not your problem.

Remember - Big 'ol pageant princess smile and a super southern "Bless your heart!!!", and then ignore them.

And have an amazing time 😉
Totally agree! And, in a weird way, when something like that happens (and it is rare), you can twist it into a sort of compliment -- it must be a pretty good day and you must be looking pretty good for them to say something like that! Compared to how I feel on some days, if some small minded stranger thinks that there is nothing wrong with me and that I look completely "normal," well then... I must be looking really good! ;)

Totally agree! And, in a weird way, when something like that happens (and it is rare), you can twist it into a sort of compliment -- it must be a pretty good day and you must be looking pretty good for them to say something like that! Compared to how I feel on some days, if some small minded stranger thinks that there is nothing wrong with me and that I look completely "normal," well then... I must be looking really good! ;)

We’ve gotten the “he looks fine/normal” comment a bit, but believe it or not mostly from people we know. To a casual observer at Disney, my son may look “normal” at first glance, but they’d figure out quickly something was different if they spoke to him or watched his reactions to loud noises.

Unfortunately we are all learning all these new behavior / operational rules including the castmembers.
It must be very difficult since things change almost daily as Disney is also trying to figure this out. I admit some of it doesn’t make sense and there are times when a castmember should be observing for potential problems or solutions that can only be determined as it is happening.
I wonder if Disney has the undercover security team that is in the crowd as a tourist? I have used a loud voice to yell Security once when a child stopped breathing and got immediate response from within the crowd prepared to assist this mother that was hysterical.
Remain calm but always be aware.

But I would rather be prepared than have it startle me. Has this been an actual problem, or is this the sort of thing where people only express cruelty from behind the safety of anonymity?
You are right to want to be prepared.

Even this hasn't been an actual problem for others, you will encounter ignorant and obnoxious people at Disney World. You know this as well as anyone. Don't expect Cast Members or the security team to be on the look out for you - be prepared, don't be startled and pay them no mind.

When are you going to The World?

We use DAS and have been a few times since reopening. There are many people curious about FP usage right now and I've heard people loudly ask why the FP line is being used, but remember that the FP line is also used for rider switch and those in Club 33, so it's not just DAS folks using the line. No one has been rude to us, but I've heard a few people ask the CMs if Fastpasses are available as we've scanned in. Not a big deal! I figure if anyone ever asks me directly, I'll just say "Club 33, darling." LOL

You are right to want to be prepared.

Even this hasn't been an actual problem for others, you will encounter ignorant and obnoxious people at Disney World. You know this as well as anyone. Don't expect Cast Members or the security team to be on the look out for you - be prepared, don't be startled and pay them no mind.

When are you going to The World?

Fair enough. I'm used to being able to leave most of the staring/comments from daily life at the door (we're also gay and trans in addition to my chair) and know CMs would have our backs if someone was obnoxious to us. But there will always be ignorant people who feel the need to spew their idiocy into the world - no matter where we are.

We're going right after Thanksgiving for just shy of 2 weeks. Lots of half-day park visits and pool time and seeing something other than the four walls of our home - I can't wait!

I can empathize with people's complaints and anger. There's nothing fun in waiting in a stand-by line for me. While it doesn't really seem to bother some people, most people don't like it. I got to be a master of the FP+ before Covid, and only really pulled by ADHD card when they got rid of them. I think that anybody who wants a comeback time should be able to have that option, I don't think it should just be reserved for people with disabilities. The park just needs to understand that if the technology is there, it should just be universally available to me. I think its silly having a system that only some people can use and not all. Yes, its important to offer line alternatives, and I think that stand-by line only is a stupid and antiquated way of doing it, but we shouldn't get better treatment or access when everybody has made sacrifices and paid a lot of money to be there.

Disney has already tried giving anyone who wants a comeback time to get one. That has been called Fastpass. As has already been experienced, Disney runs out of comeback times.

Disney needs to come up with more hoops to jump through in order to get comeback times but where disabled persons do not make a disproportionate share of those who do not succeed.

Disney has already tried giving anyone who wants a comeback time to get one. That has been called Fastpass. As has already been experienced, Disney runs out of comeback times.

Disney needs to come up with more hoops to jump through in order to get comeback times but where disabled persons do not make a disproportionate share of those who do not succeed.

But they're not allowed to verify the disability with a qualified doctor. So in effect, you already have a system where anyone can get one who wants one. Congress either needs to let parks closely examine notes and verify their authenticity, or the parks just need to find a way to blend ADA access with their normal system. Universal is able to get away with not having ADA passes at Volcano Bay due to the Tapu Tapu bands.

I've used the DAS lines with a DAS user a couple of times post-Covid. I've never noticed any unusual looks or comments- we're generally moving too quickly through a mostly empty line so there's no stopping long enough for comments.

Folks - we're not debating the merits of WDW's Disability Access Service here, please stick to the topic: OP is interested in whether anyone has been hassled while using the FP+ queue for DAS in these post-COVID times.

The FP+ queue is currently used for DAS, rider swap, Club 33 and I think there are some limited VIP tours. WDW may also give recovery FPs in certain situations. So not everybody using the "FP+ queue" has a DAS.

I've used the DAS lines with a DAS user a couple of times post-Covid. I've never noticed any unusual looks or comments- we're generally moving too quickly through a mostly empty line so there's no stopping long enough for comments.

That's my experience entirely. I think that with the distancing measures and the plexiglass you're not really close enough to somebody to have a confrontation. I've seen a confrontation happen between two different parties at Universal that I was unaffiliated with, and that was the Karen with a Recovery Pass going off on a standby liner for "giving her a dirty look." Look ahead, mind your business, don't stir the pot, and you'll be fine from the Fast Pass line.

We used the FP line several times in September and had no comments or looks, at least that we were aware of. As noted above, the FP line is used for a lot more than just DAS. If you see someone looking at you, they may be trying to figure out if you are someone famous that they should recognize!

We used the FP line several times in September and had no comments or looks, at least that we were aware of. As noted above, the FP line is used for a lot more than just DAS. If you see someone looking at you, they may be trying to figure out if you are someone famous that they should recognize!

I personally appreciate how DAS gets sent through the regular Fast Pass line. I feel like it would be a little more conspicuous and embarrassing if we got sent through the exit like at some parks. This way we slip in and its no big deal.

But a few rides like Splash Mountain have only one access path without stairs so guests with wheelchairs have to use the same path for both entrance and exit. For Splash' they have to be sent through the exit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter