Has this ever happened to you?

Shellbells

DIS Veteran
Our last payment was due April 14th for $500.37. I made the payment in full on the 11th and Disney sent me the confirmation email.

The next day we noticed they only took $250.19 off of our debit card. I call Disney and they said it showed as paid in full and the bank made an error.

The next day the other half it still hadn't been taken out so I called Disney billing. They said it was paid in full, even after I explained they only got half of the final payment.

The bank insists Disney only requested $250.19.

I just called them both again and got the same answer from them both.

I'm freaking out that once Disney realizes we still owe $250.18 and it's past the due date they will cancel the whole thing.

Has this ever happened to anyone here?

No, but I was late on paying for my trip once and they did not cancel it. (I found out about Target discounting gift cards just before my balance was due, so I called Disney and made a partial payment, and asked for an extension so I could buy discounted gift cards.) The CM I spoke to made a note in my account and said that so long as I paid the full balance within a few days, and since I had made a partial payment already, it was unlikely to be canceled. I paid the balance about 6 days late and it didn’t cause any issues.

I would trust that Disney will not cancel your trip over the next few days, especially since you have made a payment, and call again at the end of the week to see if your balance has been corrected.

Yes, something pretty similar has happened to me...so I think you should continue to check back with Disney until things seem "right" to you, and here's why...

Back in December, while we were at BC over Christmas week, I booked a split stay for the same time frame the next year under a bounceback rate. We ended up changing our mind about one of the 2 hotels we'd booked, so I called back a couple of days later while we were still at BC to switch to a new resort -- the Poly. I'd known from the last time I booked a BB rate that you have to pay the equivalent of one night's stay as a deposit, so when the CM told me the new deposit amount I'd have to make for the new Poly reservation, it seemed off...but it was Christmas day, and I'd already spent 45 minutes on hold and/or talking to the CM, so I just figured I was tired and didn't understand, so I trusted the amount she told me I owed, she ran my credit card and said we were booked, and decided not to worry about it. My mistake...

Fast forward to February...we're back at WDW again and decided to switch resorts again, lol -- but this time because I'd learned quite by accident that the room I'd booked at the Poly (a suite) wasn't going to work for us because it didn't have the right configuration of beds for our needs. So once again I called the bounceback line and explained that I wanted to cancel the Poly reservation and book a new one at the CR, but the CM looked and looked and couldn't find the reservation. I looked through my calendar and finally found the reservation number I'd jotted down for the Poly, and guess what? The CM was finally able to find the reservation with the number I'd provided, but it had been cancelled due to lack of sufficient funds for a deposit...without Disney notifying me, and even though they were the ones who told me how much I needed to pay -- it's not like I had a say in it, lol!

I expressed my dismay to the CM on the phone, and he agreed with me that the amount the CM had charged me for the Poly deposit was short by $200ish, but that that should've never happened in the first place, and he had no idea how the CM had made that mistake. He was very apologetic and said that I also certainly should've received some kind of notification that my reservation had been cancelled. Thankfully it didn't negatively impact us since we were switching hotels anyway, but I shuddered to think what would've happened if I'd waited until close to the time of our stay to check on the reservation -- I can imagine we'd be hard pressed to find another room available for Christmas week!

Sorry for the long winded story, lol...but it underscores the fact that Disney unfortunately does make mistakes, and that trusting your instincts is usually the right call. If I had questioned the CM on the "low" Poly balance she said I owed, more than likely the issue would've been resolved then and my reservation wouldn't have ever been cancelled. Hopefully you can get your issue straightened out so you won't have to worry about it anymore. :)

I'm not sure what you're complaining about. It looks like you just saved 250.00 dollars.

Thank you guys for your stories. Honestly, I'm in total panic mode over this. The cast members are nice every time I call but they don't seem to understand why I'm so worried. All they see is that it's paid in full.

One was nice enough to put a note on my reservation with my concern and today they said they would send me another email saying my trip was paid in full.
But at some point they're going to realize I still owe 250 dollars. I'm constantly checking my MDE just to make sure I'm still booked.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about. It looks like you just saved 250.00 dollars.

I'm worried they are to cancel my whole reservation. We booked on the Fun in the Sun package and our resort is sold out for those days. We can't afford an upgrade and the flights are booked. I'd rather have peace of mind than $250 dollars and a ruined vacation.

Thank you guys for your stories. Honestly, I'm in total panic mode over this. The cast members are nice every time I call but they don't seem to understand why I'm so worried. All they see is that it's paid in full.
Are you absolutely, positively sure about the $500 balance? Is it possible you made a larger payment earlier, or forgot about a payment you made?

Are you absolutely, positively sure about the $500 balance? Is it possible you made a larger payment earlier, or forgot about a payment you made?

just to make sure, I just checked my last email that shows our payment summary. The trip total was $1363.37
We made the $200 deposit
Next payment was $ 663.00
Final payment was $ 500.37
The last one was the one they only took half.

Tomorrow I'm going to call billing again and ask for a manager. I know it seems like I should just let it go but I just can't

I’ll be right there calling with you. Paid off our balance last week and have yet to receive a confirmation email. The email they sent it to doesn’t belong to us, nor is it even close to ours! I’ve called four times so far to get it resolved, still no email. It shows we’re all paid up, but I’m uneasy having important info being sent to some random person! Agree that the cast members have been very nice, just amazed that not one has managed to get us the confirmation yet! :confused3

As someone who used to work at the Disney Reservations Center (DRC), I can say that the chances that Disney will cancel your reservation in this scenario are close to zero. Any reservation that has multiple payments on it won't get automatically canceled.

If your math is correct and you do owe money (and don't call), the reservation will get reviewed by someone. That Cast Member will see that you called multiple times (because there will be notes attached from each person with which you spoke). The Cast Member will review the transactions and contact you if you do actually owe them money.

Tomorrow I'm going to call billing again and ask for a manager. I know it seems like I should just let it go but I just can't

Insider Tip: At the Disney Reservations Center, Managers manage people but Supervisors manage reservations.

A Manager is responsible for their team of Cast Members. Although some are, you do not need to be a content expert in order to be a Manager.

In contrast, a Supervisor is a content expert in whatever area with handle. A Supervisor that handles billing will know exactly where to look in order to determine the problem...if there is one.

Generally speaking, most DRC Cast Members know to send guests to a Supervisor when they ask for a Manager. However, some will take the request literally. To avoid that issue, try asking to speak to a Supervisor instead of a Manager.

One was nice enough to put a note on my reservation with my concern and today they said they would send me another email saying my trip was paid in full.
But at some point they're going to realize I still owe 250 dollars. I'm constantly checking my MDE just to make sure I'm still booked.
Happened to me once Disney claimed they were paid by my bank, they weren’t. I was in the same position as you. Disney in the end admitted they were at fault and ate the difference. I didn’t ask them to do it, didn’t threaten, nothing after about 2 weeks the realized that they had been shorted and called me and explained the situation and wanted me to know that I no longer had to worry, like I said they took care of it. I really wouldn’t worry if Disney is at fault they will work with you to resolve the issue, and they won’t penalize you for it, they will probably just ask for the difference.

If they send you a email with it saying paid in full they will honor it, I wouldn’t worry but I would make I stayed on top of it with all the receipts. Disney may have received the funds and the bank may be in error. Set aside the difference just in case one or the other does try to collect. Disney won’t cancel your reservation, you’re being proactive they will figure it out.

I’ll be right there calling with you. Paid off our balance last week and have yet to receive a confirmation email. The email they sent it to doesn’t belong to us, nor is it even close to ours! I’ve called four times so far to get it resolved, still no email. It shows we’re all paid up, but I’m uneasy having important info being sent to some random person! Agree that the cast members have been very nice, just amazed that not one has managed to get us the confirmation yet! :confused3

We're running at about 50% on getting confirmation emails for payments, cancellations, etc.

As someone who used to work at the Disney Reservations Center (DRC), I can say that the chances that Disney will cancel your reservation in this scenario are close to zero. Any reservation that has multiple payments on it won't get automatically canceled.

If your math is correct and you do owe money (and don't call), the reservation will get reviewed by someone. That Cast Member will see that you called multiple times (because there will be notes attached from each person with which you spoke). The Cast Member will review the transactions and contact you if you do actually owe them money.

Insider Tip: At the Disney Reservations Center, Managers manage people but Supervisors manage reservations.

A Manager is responsible for their team of Cast Members. Although some are, you do not need to be a content expert in order to be a Manager.

In contrast, a Supervisor is a content expert in whatever area with handle. A Supervisor that handles billing will know exactly where to look in order to determine the problem...if there is one.

Generally speaking, most DRC Cast Members know to send guests to a Supervisor when they ask for a Manager. However, some will take the request literally. To avoid that issue, try asking to speak to a Supervisor instead of a Manager.
Thank you so much for the tip! I will ask for a supervisor. It also eases my mind that having worked there, you don't think they'd cancel it.

Happened to me once Disney claimed they were paid by my bank, they weren’t. I was in the same position as you. Disney in the end admitted they were at fault and ate the difference. I didn’t ask them to do it, didn’t threaten, nothing after about 2 weeks the realized that they had been shorted and called me and explained the situation and wanted me to know that I no longer had to worry, like I said they took care of it. I really wouldn’t worry if Disney is at fault they will work with you to resolve the issue, and they won’t penalize you for it, they will probably just ask for the difference.
I'm sorry this happened to you too. I'm glad It worked out ok. It makes me feel better knowing that it worked out for you. It's probably obvious but I over worry. I'm like that about every day things but this is sending it into over drive.

I see you are only 3 weeks out, so you should have received a small booklet in the mail stating "your magical vacation is about to begin" etc.. Inside the first page it lists your reservation number and arrival date. It does not list your departure date. My first thought is that maybe the reservation is not for the entire time you have planned. My other thought is MDE. Our reservations have always been listed, per day, for each reservation I have made. If those two are correct, I would not worry about cancellation. You may or may not be responsible for the $250.

I guess you could always ask your bank if they have the ability to do a 3 way call.

I'm worried they are to cancel my whole reservation. We booked on the Fun in the Sun package and our resort is sold out for those days. We can't afford an upgrade and the flights are booked. I'd rather have peace of mind than $250 dollars and a ruined vacation.
Don’t you an email showing it paid in full. I’m sure they will honor that.

You honestly can't see why there's something to be concerned about?
Not about their canceling the reservation, that won't just happen for a reservation that is paid all but $200 but if they figure it out and want it later, I'd sure as heck want to know

You honestly can't see why there's something to be concerned about?
Not about their canceling the reservation, that won't just happen for a reservation that is paid all but $200 but if they figure it out and want it later, I'd sure as heck want to know
I can see your point if it was 2000 dollars, but 200? As long as my reservation says paid in full I’m not going to spend hours stressing over a mistake on their part. If they did figure it out they probably would just honor it that’s pretty much common business practice to honor a pricing mistakes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!