Has there been any wheelchair users riding ROTR .

nikkislaght

DIS Veteran
Hi there . Was after some feedback on transferring into the ride “car” will the CM stop the ride so that I can transfer my husband from his wheelchair onto the ride . From what I’m I’ve seen from people posting videos they are loading people with a sense of urgency to escape the stormtroopers . Wondering if they have an accessible car that they have in a side area for people who need to transfer . Thanks for any info .

I think the sense of urgency is more part of the ‘show’ than anything else.
From the videos, the escape sequence which ends with loading the vehicles is started by the CMs in the load area. So, if one group requires extra time to load, the CMs there would just not start the next escape until the entire group is loaded.
All the ride vehicles are stationary while loading, so that would not be different for guests who need extra assistance since all are stopped. Most transfers actually take less time then it seems to the person transferring.

I know there is at least one ADA vehicle with a door that opens wider. I don’t know how many or if it parks in a designated spot.
I have watched a lot of videos and from what I have seen, I am very confident that my family would be able to ride. We need to park her wheelchair close to ride vehicles and lift her from the wheelchair into the ride vehicle.

That's what I was thinking, my hubby has ALS and is very advanced so while Im sure last year it would have been a fast transfer , this year , not so much, he will be at the very lest a two person transfer,, that's why I was asking about a time frame. this is his make a wish trip and we will have lots of family to help me, but its all about the time frame , I know some rides will have to be shut all the way down and reset if down too long an so some CM can be a bit pushy time wise.. so wanted to get an idea of just how fast they wanted people to load.. thanks for your feedback.

The sense of urgency is definitely a show thing and less reality. The group of 16 when we went didn't happen to have any small children or people that may take a little extra time. They loaded the cars in a sense of panic and we proceeded to sit there for at least several minutes before we actually went anywhere. I wouldn't worry.

I rode last week and can confirm that the urgency is indeed just show and CMs will quietly break character to remind guests who look like they medically need the extra time to take that extra time. This happened everywhere.

I also witnessed a loading CM in character talking to someone using a sight cane at the front of her line and slid in some extra directions that would benefit her. It was done really well and seamless.

The big room with the stormtroopers is where you drop off your ecv on the way out and that is an area you can stay as long as you want and ask any questions in a non-rushed way. There are dedicated ecv CMs and I asked them about who and what I needed for the TAV. There are breaks in the crowd between unloadings of the first vehicle so that isn’t rushed either.

Two vehicles load at a time but you can take as much time as you need. There are many load zones/rooms so if one takes extra time, I think the other vehicles in other rooms keep moving and the whole ride doesn’t stop.

I asked how many TAVs there were and the CM didn’t know. Even when my pre-show room for boarding the second vehicle broke and we had to be removed and placed in another room, a CM said it didn’t matter what row I was in (front vs back) because we got switched in the move and it didn’t seem like anything special was done to get me a TAV in the new room. So I think there are tons of TAVs. I loaded into the front row.

In my experience on both coasts, if you only have a limited time to load, they will ask you before you are put in a loading line. You almost always have enough extra time, CMs just have to implement their strategies to get you that extra time before the ride cascades and causes an evacuation. On PP in DL they send your vehicle empty around once so you get extra time because no one is unloading when it gets to you. On Matterhorn a vehicle or two is pulled off the track. That is unless the loading CMs are overconfident in their ability to quickly load you and the ride stops and causes a full evacuation. It took a long time to get out of a CM that the evac was caused by my situation and being slow and they refuse to blame it on a guest and were always saying that they as CMs should have done more to prevent the evac because they don’t want you to feel bad.

The CM when I exited at RotR knew my device belonged to me so they have a good system for tracking and it allowed me to exit quicker. I’m assuming this is also how Reedy Creek finds you during an evac.

I loved the ride and felt the CMs were all trained well enough to handle transfers of my kind and mobility devices.

That's what I was thinking, my hubby has ALS and is very advanced so while Im sure last year it would have been a fast transfer , this year , not so much, he will be at the very lest a two person transfer,, that's why I was asking about a time frame. this is his make a wish trip and we will have lots of family to help me, but its all about the time frame , I know some rides will have to be shut all the way down and reset if down too long an so some CM can be a bit pushy time wise.. so wanted to get an idea of just how fast they wanted people to load.. thanks for your feedback.
Hi I have ALS/MND we are visiting WDW in April staying at the Polynesian first time using my power chair very interested in this as I too need 2 people to manual transfer and hope to be able to ride ROTR

I rode last week and can confirm that the urgency is indeed just show and CMs will quietly break character to remind guests who look like they medically need the extra time to take that extra time. This happened everywhere.

I also witnessed a loading CM in character talking to someone using a sight cane at the front of her line and slid in some extra directions that would benefit her. It was done really well and seamless.

The big room with the stormtroopers is where you drop off your ecv on the way out and that is an area you can stay as long as you want and ask any questions in a non-rushed way. There are dedicated ecv CMs and I asked them about who and what I needed for the TAV. There are breaks in the crowd between unloadings of the first vehicle so that isn’t rushed either.

Two vehicles load at a time but you can take as much time as you need. There are many load zones/rooms so if one takes extra time, I think the other vehicles in other rooms keep moving and the whole ride doesn’t stop.

I asked how many TAVs there were and the CM didn’t know. Even when my pre-show room for boarding the second vehicle broke and we had to be removed and placed in another room, a CM said it didn’t matter what row I was in (front vs back) because we got switched in the move and it didn’t seem like anything special was done to get me a TAV in the new room. So I think there are tons of TAVs. I loaded into the front row.

In my experience on both coasts, if you only have a limited time to load, they will ask you before you are put in a loading line. You almost always have enough extra time, CMs just have to implement their strategies to get you that extra time before the ride cascades and causes an evacuation. On PP in DL they send your vehicle empty around once so you get extra time because no one is unloading when it gets to you. On Matterhorn a vehicle or two is pulled off the track. That is unless the loading CMs are overconfident in their ability to quickly load you and the ride stops and causes a full evacuation. It took a long time to get out of a CM that the evac was caused by my situation and being slow and they refuse to blame it on a guest and were always saying that they as CMs should have done more to prevent the evac because they don’t want you to feel bad.

The CM when I exited at RotR knew my device belonged to me so they have a good system for tracking and it allowed me to exit quicker. I’m assuming this is also how Reedy Creek finds you during an evac.

I loved the ride and felt the CMs were all trained well enough to handle transfers of my kind and mobility devices.
Thank You so much for your reply, this is exactly the type of first hand information I was needing. And while I assumed this was the case, I have learned never to assume! I’m glad you had a great experience, I’m planning on that too.! Once again, Thank You . 🌹

Hi I have ALS/MND we are visiting WDW in April staying at the Polynesian first time using my power chair very interested in this as I too need 2 people to manual transfer and hope to be able to ride ROTR
if you like you can message me and I can give you an update on what we did. My husband is very fortunate that the Gleason Foundation is giving him this adventure and we are really looking forward to it, as it will be our last Disney trip as a family. I hope your trip is awesome. :flower3:

if you like you can message me and I can give you an update on what we did. My husband is very fortunate that the Gleason Foundation is giving him this adventure and we are really looking forward to it, as it will be our last Disney trip as a family. I hope your trip is awesome. :flower3:
Hi thanks for your kind offer it would be wonderful if you could provide details on what you did this will probably be my last family trip too and want to make it a memorable one

Hi thanks for your kind offer it would be wonderful if you could provide details on what you did this will probably be my last family trip too and want to make it a memorable one
Was trying to send you a message . But don’t know how here .
Hi there .
hope you are doing well. I hope you and your family have a great trip when you go and get to enjoy ROTR .

I spoke to a cast member from the disability services at Disneyland today , she was very helpful , to the point that for one of my questions she said she would have to ask her supervisor about it and call me back . Which she did !!
so basically hubby can stay in his PWC until we get to the ride car with the droid, were at that point I and another member in our group will transfer him into the car . He is no longer weight bearing , so a total transfer is needed. I will be using his gait belt to help with the transfer . He will be allowed to use his vent on the ride as long as I can secure it , either on the floor between my legs or on my lap . They will give us as much time as needed to get him into the car . And move his wheelchair to the exit . They said it will be a bit further down the exit from where the car stops but to just ask the CM to bring his chair over, (or I can just Send my son to grab it ). She did want to make me understand that the CM will be in character the whole time and so may come across as rude , but that seeing they are the order that’s their job ! 🤣🤣. She also said that as soon as our boarding group is called go to the ride , this will allow us to talk to the CM at the line entrance about any of our concerns etc. I asked about a DAS and she said given the nature of his condition he would qualify even as wheelchair user . So that’s it at the moment . I will give us as much feedback after our ride in Feb .
regards
Nikki

Hi there .
hope you are doing well. I hope you and your family have a great trip when you go and get to enjoy ROTR .

I spoke to a cast member from the disability services at Disneyland today , she was very helpful , to the point that for one of my questions she said she would have to ask her supervisor about it and call me back . Which she did !!
so basically hubby can stay in his PWC until we get to the ride car with the droid, were at that point I and another member in our group will transfer him into the car . He is no longer weight bearing , so a total transfer is needed. I will be using his gait belt to help with the transfer . He will be allowed to use his vent on the ride as long as I can secure it , either on the floor between my legs or on my lap . They will give us as much time as needed to get him into the car . And move his wheelchair to the exit . They said it will be a bit further down the exit from where the car stops but to just ask the CM to bring his chair over, (or I can just Send my son to grab it ). She did want to make me understand that the CM will be in character the whole time and so may come across as rude , but that seeing they are the order that’s their job ! 🤣🤣. She also said that as soon as our boarding group is called go to the ride , this will allow us to talk to the CM at the line entrance about any of our concerns etc. I asked about a DAS and she said given the nature of his condition he would qualify even as wheelchair user . So that’s it at the moment . I will give us as much feedback after our ride in Feb .
regards
Nikki
Thank you so much for this hope you and your family have a great trip :) :)

Hi there .

you first have to have 10 post while you do the other poster dose not If you want to send a private message click on there names above there post and start a conversation should show ( after 10 post ). Hope you have a great trip

Thank you ! Was sure I had sent messages before . So couldn’t understand why it wasn’t working. Appreciate the help !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!