Has the DIS UNPLUGGED podcast gone sour?

I think what they do shows just the opposite. They are lifelong passionate Disney fans. That's why they care so deeply about what they see happening to the company and the product. If they didn't like Disney, they wouldn't spend their lives and their careers entrenched in it and they wouldn't give a darn what happened to it, good or bad.

The casual Disney fan who maybe takes a family trip there once every few years probably doesn't even notice the stuff that we all obsess about. It's the people who are totally into it that are the most critical because we notice every little change and we see the pattern over time.

I think obsessing about it is the issue here. Negativity breeds negativity. For me, if I notice something, I’ll report it to Guest Services, if necessary, but I found myself at a point where it started to take precedence over my joy in the parks.

I am not a regular listener to the podcast for just this reason. When I'm desperate for some Disney info, I listen to it, but after awhile, I get turned off by the negativity. I like their news stories, and when I'm annoyed by something Disney did, it's cathartic to hear Pete rant about it. But I can only take so much of it. This week was the first time that I listened to the show in months, and I probably won't again for awhile. I've switched to vlogs, like The Tim Tracker and Resort TV1. I want my Disney content to give me some of that Disney magic at home, not ruin Disney for me. Sometimes I wonder if the DIS team even like Disney, because they sure don't seem to much of the time.

It's my guess is that with a few exceptions, most the team members rarely go to the parks on their days off, just for fun. They get plenty of it as a part of their job. Now if family members are in town and want to go, they go.

I think what they do shows just the opposite. They are lifelong passionate Disney fans. That's why they care so deeply about what they see happening to the company and the product. If they didn't like Disney, they wouldn't spend their lives and their careers entrenched in it and they wouldn't give a darn what happened to it, good or bad.

The casual Disney fan who maybe takes a family trip there once every few years probably doesn't even notice the stuff that we all obsess about. It's the people who are totally into it that are the most critical because we notice every little change and we see the pattern over time.

They aren't fan podcasters or vloggers. They are travel agents promoting a business. The DIS is the advertising wing of Dreams Unlimited. They pretend that they are regular fans, but they aren't. It's a business. The fact that Pete had to put a rule in place to force them to spend one day in the park a week says a lot. I'm sure it gets old when you live there, but they just don't have the same enthusiasm as other vloggers do. Certainly criticism has it's place, but it's kind of overshadowed the magic that we all come here for.

They aren't fan podcasters or vloggers. They are travel agents promoting a business. The DIS is the advertising wing of Dreams Unlimited. They pretend that they are regular fans, but they aren't. It's a business. The fact that Pete had to put a rule in place to force them to spend one day in the park a week says a lot. I'm sure it gets old when you live there, but they just don't have the same enthusiasm as other vloggers do. Certainly criticism has it's place, but it's kind of overshadowed the magic that we all come here for.

Ok. There is nothing at all wrong with taking something you love and making a business around it. Whether that’s the DIS or other “fan” podcasters, I’m pretty sure they are all trying to make a living out of something they love. With that said, I also have noticed maybe a more negative tone to some of the DIS podcasts. I also believe the DIS tries to bring current developments which lately seems to be about price increases and poorer quality than in years past. it’s always hard to report that magic is going to cost more this year. On the other hand, the DIS continues to brings new content like connecting with Walt, which is focused on how the magic was and is created. The fact is that the DIS is the most current and complete source for Disney information. The other podcasts are the same (largely copied) with a different perspective. To be honest, I also like a more positive podcast, but I truly appreciate a more critical view when I am making decisions about my vacation time.

They pretend that they are regular fans, but they aren't.
I'm not even sure what this statement means. What defines a "regular fan"? For many years, I had a business that grew out of my love of Disney. Did I cease to be a regular fan at that point? Why did Pete and John and the rest of the crew start doing what they do? Why did they start the website 20+ years ago? Why did they start a Disney-centric travel agency? Why did they start a Disney podcast over 10 years ago? They did it because they are huge fans and love the product. If you're suggesting that they are no longer fans and simply put on that facade in order to promote their business, then we will have to agree to disagree on that.

There is nothing at all wrong with taking something you love and making a business around it. Whether that’s the DIS or other “fan” podcasters, I’m pretty sure they are all trying to make a living out of something they love.

Someone once said to me, when your career and hobby/passion blend to the point you can't distinguish between the two, then you have found your calling.

I think that is what the team at DIS has found and I couldn't be happier for them.

Someone once said to me, when your career and hobby/passion blend to the point you can't distinguish between the two, then you have found your calling.

I think that is what the team at DIS has found and I couldn't be happier for them.
Totally agree - to have your WORK meld with your PLEASURE to become your PASSION is a dream all of us would be very lucky and grateful to be able to achieve.

Unfortunately, the podcast is designed to talk about the business affairs of the Disney corporation...which is in a tumultuous time. It’s not just about rides and restaurants. There are plenty of times that I disagree with their opinions of something, but doesn’t make them wrong. There are plenty of things that they have glorified and I would have ripped to shreds if I was given a seat at the table. They try to be realistic and manage expectations...it’s their job, and they are great at it.
If you are looking for a podcast to blow smoke, plenty of them exist...pixie dust and flying elephants alone will never insite change either. Hopefully some Disney execs are listening to some of the people that aren’t “yes men” to every terrible idea that comes across their desks. The squeaky wheel tends to be one of the most effective catalysts for change and hopefully some of these vocal irritated fans can be enough to keep the corporate giant in check in some capacity.
Great job everyone!

Agree with everything here, when it's a job, it becomes nothing but a job. But they do serve a purpose for those of us that can't be at the World day-in, day-out. If I lived in Orlando, I'd get sick of Disney pretty quickly. That's one of the reasons why I'm glad I don't. Disney stays fresh. I go into each podcast with eyes wide open knowing that it's nothing but a promotions show, but that's okay, nothing wrong with it. They are entertaining and Pete, Kevin and John are excellent at what they do and I get the Disney talk that I love to hear.

Unfortunately, the podcast is designed to talk about the business affairs of the Disney corporation...which is in a tumultuous time. It’s not just about rides and restaurants. There are plenty of times that I disagree with their opinions of something, but doesn’t make them wrong. There are plenty of things that they have glorified and I would have ripped to shreds if I was given a seat at the table. They try to be realistic and manage expectations...it’s their job, and they are great at it.
If you are looking for a podcast to blow smoke, plenty of them exist...pixie dust and flying elephants alone will never insite change either. Hopefully some Disney execs are listening to some of the people that aren’t “yes men” to every terrible idea that comes across their desks. The squeaky wheel tends to be one of the most effective catalysts for change and hopefully some of these vocal irritated fans can be enough to keep the corporate giant in check in some capacity.
Great job everyone!

Very well stated. I often use their insight to help steer me/us, when we visit WDW (almost everyone here knows we are local AP).

It's not everyday where the "parent" of your business model is also the one that you critique; this is where I feel and applaud that DIS separates itself amongst others.

Agree with everything here, when it's a job, it becomes nothing but a job. But they do serve a purpose for those of us that can't be at the World day-in, day-out. If I lived in Orlando, I'd get sick of Disney pretty quickly. That's one of the reasons why I'm glad I don't. Disney stays fresh. I go into each podcast with eyes wide open knowing that it's nothing but a promotions show, but that's okay, nothing wrong with it. They are entertaining and Pete, Kevin and John are excellent at what they do and I get the Disney talk that I love to hear.
Question: a promotion for what? Dreams? Disney?

I think I said this earlier but in case I didn't, if Pete's intention was simply to promote the travel agency, why would he ever want to say anything negative about Disney World? That's not good for business. Reporting on dirty bathrooms, broken down rides, disinterested cast members, and failing monorails is not the way to drum up business.

I think I said this earlier but in case I didn't, if Pete's intention was simply to promote the travel agency, why would he ever want to say anything negative about Disney World? That's not good for business. Reporting on dirty bathrooms, broken down rides, disinterested cast members, and failing monorails is not the way to drum up business.
Bingo. And they have the dreams podcast which does help showcase the positives of Disney travel.

Disney does pay them for booking vacations that’s how the travel agency makes money.

Yep, your right. Wife's family use to own a travel agency. I know how they work. Don't think Disney is paying them for their promotional work. The Podcast are used to hopefully inspire some of their client base to travel and hopefully build a bigger client base. The more their client base travels, the more commission they make.

Last edited:
Yep, your right. Wife's family use to own a travel agency. I know how they work. Don't think Disney is paying them for their promotions work. The Podcast are used to hopefully inspire some of their client base to travel and hopefully build a bigger client base. The more their client base travels, the more commission they make.
I’m just failing to see how the podcast is purely a promotions show when they do give negative reviews of things and show that not everything is pixie dust and magic.

I’m just failing to see how the podcast is purely a promotions show when they do give negative reviews of things and show that not everything is pixie dust and magic.

It's part of Pete's shtick. He doesn't want the show to be viewed as nothing but a promotions show. Like I said, to me, it really doesn't matter, because it's entertainment.
And as I understand how a travel agency works. The highest commissions received by Travel Agencies like Dreams are for tours, especially international. Disney pays a high commissions for cruises as well. That's why especially John talks so much about Disney Cruises. They also pay high commissions for Adventures by Disney. It kind of baffles me that the gang doesn't do more to promote those.

Last edited:
It's part of Pete's shtick. He doesn't want the show to be viewed as nothing but a promotions show. Like I said, to me, it really doesn't matter, because it's entertainment.
And as I understand how a travel agency works. The highest commissions received by Travel Agencies like Dreams are for tours, especially international. Disney pays a high commissions for cruises as well. That's why especially John talks so much about Disney Cruises. They also pay high commissions for Adventures by Disney. It kind of baffles me that the gang doesn't do more to promote those.

Interesting. I will say that they, to my knowledge, only comment on travel experiences (e.g. cruise lines) that they have personal experience. I recently inquired about a European river cruise line asking if they can book a line not mentioned or cited and/or have wisdom/experience. They graciously told me that they advise onto cruise lines they've personally qualified.

To me, I typically don't care who gets our initial $ (provided they are reputable and legitimate) and view it as not entertainment, but a cross-check and source of data.

Interesting. I will say that they, to my knowledge, only comment on travel experiences (e.g. cruise lines) that they have personal experience. I recently inquired about a European river cruise line asking if they can book a line not mentioned or cited and/or have wisdom/experience. They graciously told me that they advise onto cruise lines they've personally qualified.

To me, I typically don't care who gets our initial $ (provided they are reputable and legitimate) and view it as not entertainment, but a cross-check and source of data.

Sure, that's the way all good travel agencies work. They don't want to book clients on an un-reputable cruise line, or use a tour company that they don't have experience with. Whoever you wanted to cruise on might have been reputable, but it's not worth the chance of ruining the reputation of Dreams Unlimited Travel, or having your vacation ruined by a company that they do not have complete confidence in. Tour companies go out of business all of the time, many times leaving travelers stranded. It's just not worth taking a chance on for Dreams Unlimited.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter