Has DAS Changed in the last 3 Years?

sweetnjmom

DIS Veteran
I'm reading through the recent posts and it seems like it's more difficult to obtain a DAS for someone with a hidden disability. Will the cast members at guest services question the need? When we were last at WDW in May 2015, all I did was let them know my son (then 5) has ADHD, SPD and Anxiety and we had no issue getting one for my son. The pass made everything so much easier - my son could avoid anxiety triggers and enjoy his time in the parks.

Is there anything else I need to do now?

Be prepared to discuss the issues he has standing in a regular line. Did he get a paper one last time? If you have that, bring it with you.

Honestly, I think there is a lot of discussion about list out needs, but we've never really had an issue saying we were there to renew our son's DAS. Are CMs supposed to ask about his needs vs. diagnosis? Yes. Do they often do it in practice? It has not been our experience. I think the first time we did it, we were questioned a bit but the CM was in training and it was her first time so they were walking her through it.

I don't think you'll have a problem.

Nothing has changed since your last visit. DAS is need-based, not diagnosis-based. So if you simply stated your son's diagnoses previously without explaining how that impacts his ability to wait in a queue, it sounds like the CM wasn't well-trained. The fact he received a DAS previously should still be in their system. When you request a DAS this visit, they may ask if his needs have changed. Just be prepared to share his needs as related to waiting in a standard queue environment if they ask.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm reading through the recent posts and it seems like it's more difficult to obtain a DAS for someone with a hidden disability. Will the cast members at guest services question the need? When we were last at WDW in May 2015, all I did was let them know my son (then 5) has ADHD, SPD and Anxiety and we had no issue getting one for my son. The pass made everything so much easier - my son could avoid anxiety triggers and enjoy his time in the parks.

Is there anything else I need to do now?
The DAS has not changed besides going from paper to your MB but I think some of the things you hear about is that some CM is more why do you need to wait outside the line and some CM will give anyone a DAS that ask for it. As long as you go in and say why your son needs to wait outside the lines you should be fine.

Our last experience was the DAS on Magic Bands - not paper.

And thanks for the replies... I appreciate it.

Nothing has changed since your last visit. DAS is need-based, not diagnosis-based. So if you simply stated your son's diagnoses previously without explaining how that impacts his ability to wait in a queue, it sounds like the CM wasn't well-trained. The fact he received a DAS previously should still be in their system. When you request a DAS this visit, they may ask if his needs have changed. Just be prepared to share his needs as related to waiting in a standard queue environment if they ask.

Enjoy your vacation!

I did explain why my son has difficulty waiting in line - it wasn't strictly the diagnosis. Hopefully there won't be any issue this time - especially with his prior DAS in the system.

I did explain why my son has difficulty waiting in line - it wasn't strictly the diagnosis. Hopefully there won't be any issue this time - especially with his prior DAS in the system.
He should still be in the system.

We have not had any problems with staying that we need to renew DD’s DAS.

We have not had any problems either with just saying we need to renew our DS's DAS. Sometimes they update the picture, sometimes not.

B

You should be fine letting them know you would like to renew his DAS. I go quiet often and I would say maybe once every 12-18 months a CM will ask why I need a DAS and I just say why in like one sentence and then that it is Just letting you know Incase they ask why

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!