• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone used in room sitters?

disneyandme

DIS Veteran
I am interesting in finding out if anyone has used in room sitters. My kids have asthma, severe allergies, and major food issues. I'd like to use a sitter while I'm there, but don't know who might work out. Any suggestions?

I have not, but from RADP I have always heard good things about Fairy Godmothers. In the Orlando phone book they are listed ar (407) 969-9847 and toll free 877-611-4314. My understanding is that the sitters are usually in their 40's or 50's. They will inquire about ages, etc., and bring toys and games with them which are appropriate. If you give them specific permission they can take the kids out of the room and also do meals. They even (again both with permission and prior notification) will provide a sitter who has an AP and who can take them to one of the parks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for Fairy Godmothers! They are great. Tell them your issues when you call. :flower:

I used Fairy Godmothers once (2 yrs ago) for DS when he was just 20 months old and without the health problems (type 1 diabetes and severe food allergies) that he has now. She provided good care although she did show up late, knocking on the wrong hotel door and didn't bring any toys.

Since William has been diagnosed with the above mentioned health issues we haven't left him with in-room sitting but I did inquire with Kids Nite Out (the official sitting service of WDW) and they said they could send me a sitter with type 2 diabetes who knows how to test and would test him. I doubt they would administer medication and I wouldn't expect them to give him insulin. I don't know if they would give an epipen in an emergency - it would be worth asking. And ask about giving asthma medication too if you think that would be an issue while you are out. You can request also that they do NOT take your kids outside the room. Also I think it is good, for peace of mind, if you let them know you'll call and check in with them & carry a cell phone yourself.

William (age 3.5) spent a few hours in a daycare sitting during a conference we attended this summer where the KNO folks were in charge of bringing toys and playing with the kids (CDE's from the conference did the diabetes care & would give the epi if needed) and the KNO staff were excellent. I think I would feel safe using them for in-room care but - with our situation and the likely need to give insulin - we'd probably only be able to stay in the hotel - like go to dinner without the kids or something. I'd probably use KNO over FG after my last experience but I'll add that I've read this board many years and not yet seen any truly negative reviews of either service. Check with both and see which one you feel most comfortable with!

No one has posted lately about experiences, but in the past both Kids Night Out and Fairy Godmothers have gotten good reviews. I do know for children with special needs, they do better with advice explanation of the type of special needs so they can try to fit the caregiver to the child.

I have used Fairy Godmothers twice for my son with autism, and plan to use them again this December. Both times were perfect and I felt very safe with the sitter sent. The first time he was 9 months, the last time (year before last) he was 2. They have been around a long time and are very reputable. I would tell them your special needs on the phone when booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter