Has anyone taken Halcion before dental work?

If the dentist is recommending a deep clean, then no, your teeth are not fine. Or won't be for long.

How old are you? "So I guess my teeth will just rot" sounds like a pretty immature response.

Maybe you could get a job and pay for your own IV knock out?

I am 30, I have a feeling the dentist just said that to get money out of me. To me, my teeth are fine, never had cracked teeth or a filling or anything like that type of ordeals.

I am 30, I have a feeling the dentist just said that to get money out of me. To me, my teeth are fine, never had cracked teeth or a filling or anything like that type of ordeals.
If you're seeing a dentist who would recommend a deep clean for the money, you need a new dentist.

And who do you think you would be hurting if you just "let your teeth rot"?

What's the point in the deep cleaning anyway?

You will get your teeth MAGICALLY clean 100% then go home, eat and drink be happy you got it done. THEN have to go back and do it ALL OVER AGAIN. Whats the point? Why can't you get it done once, then go home, eat, drink, floss, and brush your teeth normally and that take care of your teeth, AS THE DENTIST says it should.

What's the point in the deep cleaning anyway?

You will get your teeth MAGICALLY clean 100% then go home, eat and drink be happy you got it done. THEN have to go back and do it ALL OVER AGAIN. Whats the point? Why can't you get it done once, then go home, eat, drink, floss, and brush your teeth normally and that take care of your teeth, AS THE DENTIST says it should.
Honestly? You don't have to convince any of us. Do it. Don't do it. It's YOUR teeth, not ours.

You could have done it by now. But I assume your post means you didn't.

No I didn't get it done and I won't unless its a easier method of doing it. I am not going to take that Halcion pill thingy, and I don't want a shot either. if they can use a gel to numb the area and THEN the shot then MAYBE. But the shot just numbs the area and you can still FEEL IT.

Why get the shot, if it only affects one tooth? Like if I get shot in the spot of 1 of the teeth that hurt, won't it just be numb in that tiny spot, or all over that area of the teeth?

"the shot just numbs the area" - yes, the gum, tooth and all. You don't FEEL anything.

I bloomin' felt it :headache:

And I was under the influence of Xanax, a numbing gel and an injection. But that was for a wisdom tooth extraction...

Why get the shot, if it only affects one tooth? Like if I get shot in the spot of 1 of the teeth that hurt, won't it just be numb in that tiny spot, or all over that area of the teeth?
Depending on where in your mouth the tooth in question is - it might just numb the one tooth & adjacent gums. Or it could numb the tooth, gums, and the teeth/gums immediately on either side of it. Or it could numb the whole right or left side of your jaw (all teeth & gums along that line).

Question:
what was the dosage your dentist prescribed you? I feel like mine is too high. I am barely 130 pounds and I was told to take one .25 mg the night before (tonight) and two .25mg pills 30 minutes before my extraction tomorrow. I HATE taking medication and am wondering if my Xanax would be a better choice..

I have a major dental phobia too. I mean, crying and shaking and panic attacks, the whole 9 yards. I had to have a crown and they gave me a Halcion to take the night before and then gave me one at the office that morning. I took the one that night, and I swear I didn't feel like it had done anything. I was really concerned. The next morning I called the dentist office when they opened and told them the pill didn't do anything for me and I would need something stronger to have the work done. They told me I would be fine, that when I took the second pill it would be ok. I didn't believe them. But I went and arrived 30 min before they were supposed to start on me and they gave me the second pill. Amazingly, it worked. I bet he worked on me for a solid hour and I had no problem with it whatsoever. No crying or anything. I don't remember feeling super relaxed or anything, I just remember being absolutely OKAY with him working on me. It was weird, but it worked. I really don't think you should drive afterwards, best you have a driver. Good Luck, I know what you are going thru, I promise!
Question:
what was the dosage your dentist prescribed you? I feel like mine is too high. I am barely 130 pounds and I was told to take one .25 mg the night before (tonight) and two .25mg pills 30 minutes before my extraction tomorrow. I HATE taking medication and am wondering if my Xanax would be a better choice..

Yes I understand that part. But after the pill kicks in. DOES IT HURT WHEN THEY DO EVERYTHING ON YOU? That's what I am asking!

The pill makes you not care about the pain...or anything else;) They'll give you novocaine which WILL deaden the pain so you likely won't feel anything other than someone/something is touching you. Modern dentistry is a far cry from what it was even just a few years ago.
Question:

Info I sourced form Seratis. Seratis is slanted towards the UK market but often hits USA information as well, so can be very useful...

"An extremely short lasting hypnotic, triazolam (also known by the brand names Halcion®, Novodorm® and Songar®) has a half life of only 1.5 to 5.5 hours hours and is used as a sedative only nowadays. It was initially withdrawn from public use due to severe side effects but is still available at far lower doses.
Question:

Question:

Hi Dog Mom, Welcome to the Dis! :welcome: I'm afraid I don't have any idea about dosages. Can you call your dentist, or even your family doctor to discuss dosages? FYI, this thread has been dormant for nearly two months and was actually started in 2006. You may get some more responses but it might take a while. Good luck with the dentist.:)

Last edited:
I realize I'm late to the party, but since I came here searching for Halcion info with regard to dental, I figured I'd put in my two cents.

I have a severe Dental phobia and up until a month ago had not been to a dentist for almost 30 years. As a result I had massive decay and required a total of 5 root canals and 9 crowns. They told me that there were three teeth in my mouth that they did not have to either put a filling or a crown on. The reason I'm searching for info regarding Halcion is that I was prescribed the medication for me to have my permanent crowns installed tomorrow.

For those who have been asking about sedation dentistry, it is amazing. Yes it's very expensive but the sedation is not the pricey part, it's the dental work. All said and done for 8 hours worth of work my total bill was $18,000. But again that was after not seeing a dentist for three decades.

I was put under IV sedation and it was the best experience ever. They gave me Valium the night before and the morning of. I had an anesthesiologist team that monitored me the entirety of my procedure. When I came out of anesthesia I had very little mouth pain even after everything they did to me. This included the periodontal scaling deep cleaning as it's referred to. The worst part of it was that my lips were destroyed from being held open for so long, but what are you going to do about that right?

Again, sorry for resurrecting this but I literally just went through this and technically am still dealing with it. So while I'm not an expert, I can definitely attest to the effectiveness of IV sedation for dentistry. I also got my Halcion answer after 6 pages LOL. So thanks for that. :-)

I realize I'm late to the party, but since I came here searching for Halcion info with regard to dental, I figured I'd put in my two cents.

I have a severe Dental phobia and up until a month ago had not been to a dentist for almost 30 years. As a result I had massive decay and required a total of 5 root canals and 9 crowns. They told me that there were three teeth in my mouth that they did not have to either put a filling or a crown on. The reason I'm searching for info regarding Halcion is that I was prescribed the medication for me to have my permanent crowns installed tomorrow.

For those who have been asking about sedation dentistry, it is amazing. Yes it's very expensive but the sedation is not the pricey part, it's the dental work. All said and done for 8 hours worth of work my total bill was $18,000. But again that was after not seeing a dentist for three decades.

I was put under IV sedation and it was the best experience ever. They gave me Valium the night before and the morning of. I had an anesthesiologist team that monitored me the entirety of my procedure. When I came out of anesthesia I had very little mouth pain even after everything they did to me. This included the periodontal scaling deep cleaning as it's referred to. The worst part of it was that my lips were destroyed from being held open for so long, but what are you going to do about that right?

Again, sorry for resurrecting this but I literally just went through this and technically am still dealing with it. So while I'm not an expert, I can definitely attest to the effectiveness of IV sedation for dentistry. I also got my Halcion answer after 6 pages LOL. So thanks for that. :-)

Good call to going to a dentist that had a qualified anesthesia provider. Makes it far safer. If something goes wrong you don't want to be stuck in a dentist's office and nobody there that can handle the emergency.

Good call to going to a dentist that had a qualified anesthesia provider. Makes it far safer. If something goes wrong you don't want to be stuck in a dentist's office and nobody there that can handle the emergency.

Oh yea. I did a ton of research. The anesthesiologist was actually a separate entity from the dentist. What was awesome is that she had also been a dentist herself before becoming an anesthesiologist so she really knew the drill. I never once questioned my safety or well-being before or after. During, I certainly wasn't questioning anything LOL.

Oh yea. I did a ton of research. The anesthesiologist was actually a separate entity from the dentist. What was awesome is that she had also been a dentist herself before becoming an anesthesiologist so she really knew the drill. I never once questioned my safety or well-being before or after. During, I certainly wasn't questioning anything LOL.

Again, a very smart thing to do. Many dentists will do sedation or nitrous without an actual anesthesia provder (nurse anestethetist or and MD). Mine won't touch either gas or sedation as he does not think it's safe to do without an expert on hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter