Has anyone taken Halcion before dental work?

Again how is popping this pill really making you feel relaxed, having you feel NO pain at all?
Halcion has nothing to do with feeling pain. It's simply a relaxer. It's a sedative/hypnotic. So that you won't be all freaked out and combative when you get to the dental chair.

The pain "removal" medication is typically a shot administered at the time of procedure. Or could be via IV (but that still involves a needle that remains in your arm until procedure is done).

Gas is another medication used to, basically, take your brain out of the equation. It doesn't stop/hide/numb the pain, just makes you relax.

IV pain would be alright I suppose but honestly I would rather not do this deep cleaning period. BUT if I don't I know it will lead to much bigger problems. What the dentists mean by a deep cleaning is as follows; "A dental deep cleaning, or scaling and root planing, is needed in order to remove bacteria, calculus (tartar), and debris that has collected under the gum line." So they use the pick tool and other tools, to really get into the gums and teeth and pick away at all the gross-ness in your teeth.

Now on September 6th and the week after that September 12th, I went to 2 dentists, the first was for a regular cleaning, X-Ray, minor flossing etc. The nurse did all of this on me, the doctor did not. She just used paste on my teeth, cleaned my teeth, flossed only barely, then did the X-Ray's with the LARGE circular oval thingys. The X-Rays according to them and the SECOND dentist I saw the following week, told me that I had cavities, as well as needed a deep cleaning.

I don't floss at all, because it is too hard for me to do. I was thinking of trying that flossing tool that is on a stick. Not sure what the item is called.

And I use a regular tooth brush. Wouldn't an electric tooth brush even a cheap one be BAD? Because cheap price is NOT cleaning the teeth well enough as an expensive one?

I do brush every night before bed, as well as use mouth wash and yet I told get this bad news from these dentists.

I suffer from mental illness's anxiety, general anxiety disorder as well as depression. Yes I am seeing a therapist for both and no I am not taking any types of medication and no I will not take any medication for this dentist issue at all, in terms of the anxiety or the dentist situation at hand.

And no I have NEVER had serious dental work done on me ever, except a regular cleaning, flossing, and X-Ray.
Ok, good explanation, thanks. I was trying to figure out what's going on here, exactly.

To answer your question, our dentist(s) recommend electric toothbrushes because they think they do a better job than brushing with a regular toothbrush. I don't have space in my bathroom for a big set up so I buy the cheap ones at WalMart for my kids and they stay in the regular supply basket I have on the counter. The dentists have said this is fine. The important thing for them is good brushing and flossing. I use a regular brush (and floss a lot, and have cleanings every six months, so my plaque buildup is minimal).

I buy the floss sticks. I started buying them for the kids when they were little to help them learn how to floss and we all use them now. They're easy. DH and I still use regular floss, too. My old dentist had a big sign on the wall saying, "Only floss the teeth you want to keep". So flossing would help keep plaque down in your mouth so cleanings aren't so stressful for you. Definitely give it a try.

As for the deep cleaning, I think you and I are both talking about what I consider a regular cleaning, which is when they basically remove the plaque off your teeth. I've never had a cleaning where they didn't do that. (Maybe they just polish your teeth because you don't want to have the rest?) Anyway, as I said, my new dentist uses a high powered water cleaning system, and she does the cleanings herself. I had it done for the first time a few weeks ago and it was kind of nice. No picking. Can you look into something like that?

I know you want an exact answer of whether you feel pain with relaxing medication, but people are trying to say that they're too out of it to feel pain. Your brain's wiring on the drugs makes you unaware. (This is how opioids work, actually - they don't relieve pain, they just alter your perception of it, and as most people know, they are VERY effective!) So that IS your answer.

I am sympathetic to your plight - I had bad experiences when I was young, too. (Think gassed and being held down in the chair repeatedly. :( ) In adulthood I have sought out kind and gentle dentists who are empathetic. They are out there, you just have to find them. They understand dental trauma and anxiety. You might see if you can find a dentist who will treat you completely him or herself, i.e. one who will do the cleaning, too, as opposed to the hygienist - unless you can find a really great kind and patient hygienist. Maybe look for reviews online.

Again how is popping this pill really making you feel relaxed, having you feel NO pain at all?
Again, Halciom is a pill that relaxes you. Pain is a separate issue. Dentist would give you a shot of novacaine, at the site in your mouth, where he/she would be working. The novacaine simply numbs that spot so that you will not feel pain.

As for the deep cleaning, I think you and I are both talking about what I consider a regular cleaning, which is when they basically remove the plaque off your teeth.
No, deep cleaning is much more involved. And typically used on those people whose teeth have massive amounts of plaque build up.

Don't know if you really want the details, but they basically go underneath the edge of the gums and really clean it out. Yes, it does often involve separating the gum from the tooth in some cases, and can be painful. Usually would be done as a minor surgical procedure. Some people can handle this with a relaxer and Novocaine. Others require full sedation.

I agree, the poster should seek out a good dentist that works with fearful patients.

Ok, good explanation, thanks. I was trying to figure out what's going on here, exactly.

To answer your question, our dentist(s) recommend electric toothbrushes because they think they do a better job than brushing with a regular toothbrush. I don't have space in my bathroom for a big set up so I buy the cheap ones at WalMart for my kids and they stay in the regular supply basket I have on the counter. The dentists have said this is fine. The important thing for them is good brushing and flossing. I use a regular brush (and floss a lot, and have cleanings every six months, so my plaque buildup is minimal).

I buy the floss sticks. I started buying them for the kids when they were little to help them learn how to floss and we all use them now. They're easy. DH and I still use regular floss, too. My old dentist had a big sign on the wall saying, "Only floss the teeth you want to keep". So flossing would help keep plaque down in your mouth so cleanings aren't so stressful for you. Definitely give it a try.

As for the deep cleaning, I think you and I are both talking about what I consider a regular cleaning, which is when they basically remove the plaque off your teeth. I've never had a cleaning where they didn't do that. (Maybe they just polish your teeth because you don't want to have the rest?) Anyway, as I said, my new dentist uses a high powered water cleaning system, and she does the cleanings herself. I had it done for the first time a few weeks ago and it was kind of nice. No picking. Can you look into something like that?

I know you want an exact answer of whether you feel pain with relaxing medication, but people are trying to say that they're too out of it to feel pain. Your brain's wiring on the drugs makes you unaware. (This is how opioids work, actually - they don't relieve pain, they just alter your perception of it, and as most people know, they are VERY effective!) So that IS your answer.

I am sympathetic to your plight - I had bad experiences when I was young, too. (Think gassed and being held down in the chair repeatedly. :( ) In adulthood I have sought out kind and gentle dentists who are empathetic. They are out there, you just have to find them. They understand dental trauma and anxiety. You might see if you can find a dentist who will treat you completely him or herself, i.e. one who will do the cleaning, too, as opposed to the hygienist - unless you can find a really great kind and patient hygienist. Maybe look for reviews online.
Many years ago I had the "deep cleaning". It was after I hadn't been to the dentist in several years. Don't know if it was exactly the same "deep cleaning" as what the op describes, but that's what my dentist called it.

It was done in a series of 3 appointments, and during each appt they worked on just a specific area of your mouth/teeth. They sort of dug down into your gums to get them cleaned out, much deeper than they would in just a regular cleaning. I remember my gums were super sore for a couple of days afterwards.

No, deep cleaning is much more involved. And typically used on those people whose teeth have massive amounts of plaque build up.

Don't know if you really want the details, but they basically go underneath the edge of the gums and really clean it out. Yes, it does often involve separating the gum from the tooth in some cases, and can be painful. Usually would be done as a minor surgical procedure. Some people can handle this with a relaxer and Novocaine. Others require full sedation.

I agree, the poster should seek out a good dentist that works with fearful patients.

Many years ago I had the "deep cleaning". It was after I hadn't been to the dentist in several years. Don't know if it was exactly the same "deep cleaning" as what the op describes, but that's what my dentist called it.

It was done in a series of 3 appointments, and during each appt they worked on just a specific area of your mouth/teeth. They sort of dug down into your gums to get them cleaned out, much deeper than they would in just a regular cleaning. I remember my gums were super sore for a couple of days afterwards.
Yikes, ok. Then in that case this poster will need to figure out the best way to get through it. I think finding a dentist who specializes in dental phobias is the best bet. When they meet, they can go over treatment options. I'm sure they have many.

Halcion has nothing to do with feeling pain. It's simply a relaxer. It's a sedative/hypnotic. So that you won't be all freaked out and combative when you get to the dental chair.

The pain "removal" medication is typically a shot administered at the time of procedure. Or could be via IV (but that still involves a needle that remains in your arm until procedure is done).

Gas is another medication used to, basically, take your brain out of the equation. It doesn't stop/hide/numb the pain, just makes you relax.

Ah I see. Well thats pointless why relax you and still cause you pain either way?

You need to have your dentist explain to you what a deep cleaning is, even I explained it to you and you did not buy it. They want me to do a deep cleaning which means picking at your teeth with a sharp tool, and other items to get the bad stuff from under the gums and on the teeth away for good.

That is NOT what a regular cleaning does. Using a power washer on your teeth WILL NOT remove the bad stuff on your teeth and the stuff between your teeth either.

Again sorry but that is NOT my answer I want. I want to know if again WILL you feel pain even with the pills you pop into your mouth and I know you just don't want to say yes. You just want to beat around the bush refusing to answer me.

I've looked up dentists and called dentists and they come out saying it will cost a lot of money and all the methods they say, and you guys say on here aren't for me period. I don't want to get a deep cleaning done like AT ALL.

But if I DO NOT do it my teeth will fall out.

Ah I see. Well thats pointless why relax you and still cause you pain either way?
You still feel the pain (maybe not as much) but your brain is disconnected and you don't recall it. Your brain's perception of the pain isn't really that your feeling pain. You might "feel" pressure, or not; or you might feel like someone is just touching certain spots, or not.

You still feel the pain (maybe not as much) but your brain is disconnected and you don't recall it. Your brain's perception of the pain isn't really that your feeling pain. You might "feel" pressure, or not; or you might feel like someone is just touching certain spots, or not.

So you see it DOES HURT. Well the gas and pill are off the table. And me doing this in 1-3 appointments is NOT happening. I want it the whole mouth done that way I don't have to go back again and again and again. ESP. if I decide to go with the IV option. Because 1 of the dentists I talked too told me IV would cost around $1,400 for just 1 hour's work. I cannot afford that.

Again sorry but that is NOT my answer I want. I want to know if again WILL you feel pain even with the pills you pop into your mouth
You may or may not feel pain. But your brain won't recognize it as pain. The pill inhibits how your brain processes the information. Sorry, can't be clearer than that.

There's two types of conscious sedation (where you're medicated to reduce pain): IV and pill. The IV form is much more reliable and easier to maintain the correct level during procedures. The pill form is more tricky to maintain the proper level of control. But it still works.

And then you will definitely be feeling pain. Every day, for the rest of your life.

You need to have your dentist explain to you what a deep cleaning is, even I explained it to you and you did not buy it. They want me to do a deep cleaning which means picking at your teeth with a sharp tool, and other items to get the bad stuff from under the gums and on the teeth away for good.

That is NOT what a regular cleaning does. Using a power washer on your teeth WILL NOT remove the bad stuff on your teeth and the stuff between your teeth either.

Again sorry but that is NOT my answer I want. I want to know if again WILL you feel pain even with the pills you pop into your mouth and I know you just don't want to say yes. You just want to beat around the bush refusing to answer me.

I've looked up dentists and called dentists and they come out saying it will cost a lot of money and all the methods they say, and you guys say on here aren't for me period. I don't want to get a deep cleaning done like AT ALL.

Sir or Madam, I am trying to help you. It is difficult to do on a discussion board and I hoped you'd appreciate that.

I am having difficulty with your style of written communication so I'll let other posters take over the recommendations from here.

And yes, the "power washer" does remove plaque, this is how my dentist is doing her cleanings now. Cleanings to remove plaque.

And it wasn't that I "didn't buy it". I'm trying to understand it. The information given and what I know about cleanings was conflicting.

Best of luck, I hope you can find a solution to your problem.

Well again you did not express if it hurt or not, even with laughing gas on. Did you feel ANY pain?

Again? I didn't realize you had asked ME if it hurt or not. :confused3

I felt NO pain when I had several teeth pulled and a bridge put in. Of course the gas didn't help at all with the pain, that is only used to relax you and as I said before I was so relaxed I could have taken a nap had they not kept bugging me, ha ha!! :) The novocaine my dentist injected into my gums is what prevented the pain. If you don't have the novocaine shot in your mouth you probably will experience pain. In a previous post you said novocaine would not work, how do you know this? My dentist even puts numbing gel directly on the area where he is going to give you the novocaine shot, and lets that sit for a couple of minutes before he gives the shot so you don't even feel the actual shot, not at all.

Also, you never answered MY question. Why couldn't you have the gas (nitrous oxide)?

You may or may not feel pain. But your brain won't recognize it as pain. The pill inhibits how your brain processes the information. Sorry, can't be clearer than that.

There's two types of conscious sedation (where you're medicated to reduce pain): IV and pill. The IV form is much more reliable and easier to maintain the correct level during procedures. The pill form is more tricky to maintain the proper level of control. But it still works.

And then you will definitely be feeling pain. Every day, for the rest of your life.

Then IF I do decide to do this, I will likely go with the IV option then.

Sir or Madam, I am trying to help you. It is difficult to do on a discussion board and I hoped you'd appreciate that.

I am having difficulty with your style of written communication so I'll let other posters take over the recommendations from here.

And yes, the "power washer" does remove plaque, this is how my dentist is doing her cleanings now. Cleanings to remove plaque.

And it wasn't that I "didn't buy it". I'm trying to understand it. The information given and what I know about cleanings was conflicting.

Best of luck, I hope you can find a solution to your problem.

I am a Madam thanks, and sorry for being so harsh before but this will be my first time for this type of ordeal and it really frightens me alright.

And again I clearly explained to you what a deep cleaning was all about. Next time go ask your dentist what it is and have her explain it to you.

Again? I didn't realize you had asked ME if it hurt or not. :confused3

I felt NO pain when I had several teeth pulled and a bridge put in. Of course the gas didn't help at all with the pain, that is only used to relax you and as I said before I was so relaxed I could have taken a nap had they not kept bugging me, ha ha!! :) The novocaine my dentist injected into my gums is what prevented the pain. If you don't have the novocaine shot in your mouth you probably will experience pain. In a previous post you said novocaine would not work, how do you know this? My dentist even puts numbing gel directly on the area where he is going to give you the novocaine shot, and lets that sit for a couple of minutes before he gives the shot so you don't even feel the actual shot, not at all.

Also, you never answered MY question. Why couldn't you have the gas (nitrous oxide)?

I was referring to what I was saying about this whole topic of mine, referring to again, what I was talking about. Meaning and asking about after taking the pill, do you still feel pain otherwise.

Then why do I hear from others online, who do get the shot in the mouth, that they FEEL PAIN? Even though the shot is suppose to numb you completely?

I know it does not work, because others online and in real life have said so. They said they still felt pain even with receiving 2-3 shots.

Oh please I doubt that gels works.

I was referring to what I was saying about this whole topic of mine, referring to again, what I was talking about. Meaning and asking about after taking the pill, do you still feel pain otherwise.

Then why do I hear from others online, who do get the shot in the mouth, that they FEEL PAIN? Even though the shot is suppose to numb you completely?

I know it does not work, because others online and in real life have said so. They said they still felt pain even with receiving 2-3 shots.

Oh please I doubt that gels works.
I've had tons of dental work done - root canals, teeth pulled, fillings, crowns. Some with just novocaine shots. Some with gas. And a few with IV sedation. Depends on how much work is being done.

Believe me - the shots work. I've had the whole side of my face (one side or the other) numbed for work. And it can last for hours. If you have people telling you the shot didn't work, it's because the dentist didn't administer enough, or did so improperly. It's also possible for some people (not many) to resistant to the numbing factors.

The numbing gel on the gums certainly does work. I've had it. You (well, at least I) can't feel the needle going in. What you can feel is some pressure as the fluid comes out of the needle into the tissues, but I wouldn't call it pain.

One issue you're going to have would be if you require numbing for your whole mouth at one time - I don't think a dentist will do that. That's why the deep cleaning procedure takes at least 2 visits (one for each side of your mouth).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!