Has anyone move to Florida to be close to Disney?

I don't live in Anaheim.

You said there are a million reasons to move to Orlando but WDW is NOT one of them. I asked why NOT. You replied with general reasons like traffic, crime, and beauty. Those have nothing to do with DISNEY.

So I countered that those issues can be found in a lot of places, BUT having a Disney park nearby is pretty great. I was drawing a parallel.

I'm still waiting for you to explain why DISNEY WORLD should NOT be a reason for someone to move to Orlando.
No. I said there are a million reasons to move to FLORIDA.

MG

I don't live in Anaheim.

You said there are a million reasons to move to Orlando but WDW is NOT one of them. I asked why NOT. You replied with general reasons like traffic, crime, and beauty. Those have nothing to do with DISNEY.

So I countered that those issues can be found in a lot of places, BUT having a Disney park nearby is pretty great. I was drawing a parallel.

I'm still waiting for you to explain why DISNEY WORLD should NOT be a reason for someone to move to Orlando.
And I told you a reason anyway. The downsides do not outweigh the waning desire for a theme park.

Sorry you don't like my answer. I live in Orlando and that's the way it is for me.

MG

No. I said there are a million reasons to move to FLORIDA.

MG

Noted.

i think if someone is asking, they really love Disney and being close would improve their quality of life if they are truly unhappy where they are currently. People underestimate how important it is to love where you live. It makes a huge impact on your health and well being. Again, if finances allow it, I think people should do what they think would make them happy. If it doesn't work out, they can always leave. It's not like once people move somewhere they can never move again.

Noted.

i think if someone is asking, they really love Disney and being close would improve their quality of life if they are truly unhappy where they are currently. People underestimate how important it is to love where you live. It makes a huge impact on your health and well being. Again, if finances allow it, I think people should do what they think would make them happy. If it doesn't work out, they can always leave. It's not like once people move somewhere they can never move again.
True, and I highly recommend the Florida lifestyle. We adore it. I would just much rather be in Naples.....

MG

True, and I highly recommend the Florida lifestyle. We adore it. I would just much rather be in Naples.....

MG
MY home is on the market and as soon as it sells we are moving to Marco Island. A smaller house with a smaller yard will cost nearly twice what we will sell our house for here. But we go there twice a year and we are retired. Our son currently works for Disney, we own DVC and another timeshare in SW FL. After our most recent trip last fall, we decided why not? We've researched other areas and feel Marco is the best for us. We'd only be about 3.5 hours from Disney so we can still head up there since we have APs. And our son loves to come to the beach at Marco when we are down there. We might see him a bit more frequently.

MY home is on the market and as soon as it sells we are moving to Marco Island. A smaller house with a smaller yard will cost nearly twice what we will sell our house for here. But we go there twice a year and we are retired. Our son currently works for Disney, we own DVC and another timeshare in SW FL. After our most recent trip last fall, we decided why not? We've researched other areas and feel Marco is the best for us. We'd only be about 3.5 hours from Disney so we can still head up there since we have APs. And our son loves to come to the beach at Marco when we are down there. We might see him a bit more frequently.
Love Marco... have visited many times.
I prefer Naples but actually wifey prefers Marco.

Congrats on your impending move!!

MG

We live in CT.... and plan to move in a couple of years. We want lower taxes and a warmer climate. We dont want to be land locked. That brings it down to the southern east coast.
We initially considered the Carolinas and Florida, but Florida won out. So that brought it down to deciding where in Florida. Where we currently live we have easy access to supermarkets, Walmart, shopping malls, movie theaters, etc. We don't want to be rural. We are not big beach people. I like to walk along the beach for a hour or so, but have no desire to bask in the sun all day. I prefer swimming in a pool to swimming in the ocean. I would like the ocean breezes on the coast, but can deal with humidity. We love Disney and Universal. So we decided on central Florida. I'm not moving just to be *near Disney* but Disney helped tip the scale in our decision.
IMO one size doesn't fit all.

I feel if I were to move that close, the magic, for me, would be diminished.
I think for some it may be diminished. This was a concern for us as well, but we experienced the opposite. We go to Disney several times a month, but it's much better than when we lived out of state. If we want to go for dinner or a couple of hours, we aren't pressed to maximize our time and live by a spreadsheet to get everything in. Having a more laid-back approach, we appreciate the fine details the Imageneers put into the rides and surroundings. For us it's a more rich experience.

We made the move 2 years ago as we found the only place we vacationed was Orlando. We moved to the family community of Oviedo. Nationally ranked schools great weather year round. And the benefit of the attractions as a day out. I love it here and it has made my families life so much better.

One quick note - You have to come here with the idea that this is home not a perpetual vacation. If you think your going to hit Disney or Universal every weekend you better be really rich. But for the family experience (Schools, Beaches, Sports and more I love it)

Thanks

We live in CT.... and plan to move in a couple of years. We want lower taxes and a warmer climate. We dont want to be land locked. That brings it down to the southern east coast.
We initially considered the Carolinas and Florida, but Florida won out. So that brought it down to deciding where in Florida. Where we currently live we have easy access to supermarkets, Walmart, shopping malls, movie theaters, etc. We don't want to be rural. We are not big beach people. I like to walk along the beach for a hour or so, but have no desire to bask in the sun all day. I prefer swimming in a pool to swimming in the ocean. I would like the ocean breezes on the coast, but can deal with humidity. We love Disney and Universal. So we decided on central Florida. I'm not moving just to be *near Disney* but Disney helped tip the scale in our decision.
IMO one size doesn't fit all.
I can help you with a couple of area choices. If you are looking for rual with proximity check out Chuluota Florida or Christmas Florida both are to the east side of Orlando about 40 - 60 Min from Disney.

We made the move 2 years ago as we found the only place we vacationed was Orlando. We moved to the family community of Oviedo. Nationally ranked schools great weather year round. And the benefit of the attractions as a day out. I love it here and it has made my families life so much better.

One quick note - You have to come here with the idea that this is home not a perpetual vacation. If you think your going to hit Disney or Universal every weekend you better be really rich. But for the family experience (Schools, Beaches, Sports and more I love it)

Thanks
This is one of the best areas in the Orlando area to live. We live in Winter Springs on the Winter Springs/Oviedo line. The schools are outstanding and the lifestyle can't be beat. We love going to Disney, but there are so many other activities to do that are free or low cost.

There are a million reasons to move to Florida.
Being close to Disney is NOT one of them.

If Disney is your main reason for moving here, you're making a mistake IMO.

MG

I moved from South Florida to right by Disney and simply put I couldn't have made a better choice.South Florida was stressful,has horrible traffic and everything is way overpriced.Many people say there's more to do there and while that may be true with it being closer to the ocean,more of a nightlife,more sporting events but even with that said I was always bored there just sitting around waiting for my next Orlando trip,some people are just theme park people and being close to the parks makes us happier,I have all the AP's to all the area parks and probably I'm in the parks 3-4 times a week even if only for a couple of hours.As far as crime,there's crime everywhere just don't live too close to bad areas which I didn't down there or up here,so no issues there.

I moved from South Florida to right by Disney and simply put I couldn't have made a better choice.South Florida was stressful,has horrible traffic and everything is way overpriced.Many people say there's more to do there and while that may be true with it being closer to the ocean,more of a nightlife,more sporting events but even with that said I was always bored there just sitting around waiting for my next Orlando trip,some people are just theme park people and being close to the parks makes us happier,I have all the AP's to all the area parks and probably I'm in the parks 3-4 times a week even if only for a couple of hours.As far as crime,there's crime everywhere just don't live too close to bad areas which I didn't down there or up here,so no issues there.
Okay.... welcome to Orlando.

MG

We will be moving in 2 years. House has already been purchased. We will use it to vacation until the move. I can't wait to have my resident annual pass!

We will be moving in 2 years. House has already been purchased. We will use it to vacation until the move. I can't wait to have my resident annual pass!

Does it make any difference on your homeowner insurance and taxes if the home isn't your primary residence?

No it doesn't but compared to where I live(chicago) FL property taxes and insurance is so cheap

The taxes are cheaper than where I currently live too. We want to move in early 2019. We own a home in CT. We are thinking of buying a home in Florida before selling our house here. I was worrying that the taxes might be higher if it wasn't my primary residence. Good to know that is not the case. Thanks for the information!

Now Georgia would be the best of both worlds! My parents almost moved to Georgia, we had family there for years. Everyone I ever talk to loves it there. Much nicer climate than Florida and overall better opportunities but so close if you want to drive to Disney or the cruise ports.
Could do Georgia for sure!
We are in Georgia and it is ok, but the areas around Atlanta are very congested. They started out as farm towns with two lane roads, and now they are busy cities with two lane roads. Sometimes my commute to and from work feels like I am part of a slow moving train. Every foot of road to and from work is covered with a car. And I only work about four miles away. It is still maddening. Takes me an hour from leaving work to pick up two children from their local schools and get home. I used to work in downtown Atlanta (26 miles away) and it was an average 1.5 hour commute each way.

We definitely have a lot of conveniences here, but we pay the price with crowds.

The schools are rated pretty high, but behavior issues are getting worse by the year.

One of the big reasons I am ready to move to Florida is that in north Georgia, it is really nice to be outside less than half the year. The other half is too cold or too hot. I want to want to be outside more than I do here. Winters are also depressingly colorless. Brown trees, brown houses, brown grass, gray skies. I would love to be surrounded by green foliage, blue skies, and bright flowers year round.

And yes, Disney (and other theme parks) are part of the reason for my Florida dream. I think it will happen one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!