Has anyone move to Florida to be close to Disney?

My husband and I have been talking about it for years. We are from New England (Connecticut, specifically) and we hate it. We travel to Florida sometimes four times a year and while Disney isn't the MAIN reason to pack up and relocate, it is a very convincing factor :)

We will make the big move.. eventually.

My husband and I have been talking about it for years. We are from New England (Connecticut, specifically) and we hate it. We travel to Florida sometimes four times a year and while Disney isn't the MAIN reason to pack up and relocate, it is a very convincing factor :)

We will make the big move.. eventually.

Also from Connecticut.

Every trip we take down there we get just an iota closer to picking up and going to work for Disney. It's a knee jerk reaction, but the company I work for also has an office in Orlando. It could potentially be an easy transition; however, my fiancee just moved from NY to CT, and asking her to move down to FL is a big ask. She just spent thousands of dollars to get her teaching certificate transitioned from NY to CT and she just got into a full time teaching gig.

On top of that, moving that far away from family would be really hard for us.

I do think that level of hospitality is my calling, but I'm already 6 years into my career.

Maybe if Disney is still around when we retire (us young 20-somethings) we will take the plunge.

Also from Connecticut.

Every trip we take down there we get just an iota closer to picking up and going to work for Disney. It's a knee jerk reaction, but the company I work for also has an office in Orlando. It could potentially be an easy transition; however, my fiancee just moved from NY to CT, and asking her to move down to FL is a big ask. She just spent thousands of dollars to get her teaching certificate transitioned from NY to CT and she just got into a full time teaching gig.

On top of that, moving that far away from family would be really hard for us.

I do think that level of hospitality is my calling, but I'm already 6 years into my career.

Maybe if Disney is still around when we retire (us young 20-somethings) we will take the plunge.
Same boat! My husband's company also has an Orlando branch that he looks at the job openings for every single day, haha! We are also early/mid-20's and I do feel that moving away from family right this moment would be difficult. He feels otherwise, but I truly think it would be.

I guess we'll see what happens in the future!

There are a million reasons to move to Florida.
Being close to Disney is NOT one of them.

If Disney is your main reason for moving here, you're making a mistake IMO.

MG

There are a million reasons to move to Florida.
Being close to Disney is NOT one of them.

If Disney is your main reason for moving here, you're making a mistake IMO.

MG
Not exactly sure how this is a post that in any way, shape, or form is attempting to offer some level of advice. The poster is seeking community in terms of those who have moved to FL, not those who oppose moving there due to their undying love of Disney. She clearly states that she and her husband are moving there for Disney and everything else FL has to offer. Maybe instead of opposing the move that they clearly have their minds on, we could instead offer advice on the environment of FL and if we have friends and/or family that moved there primarily for Disney. #positivethoughts

Not exactly sure how this is a post that in any way, shape, or form is attempting to offer some level of advice. The poster is seeking community in terms of those who have moved to FL, not those who oppose moving there due to their undying love of Disney. She clearly states that she and her husband are moving there for Disney and everything else FL has to offer. Maybe instead of opposing the move that they clearly have their minds on, we could instead offer advice on the environment of FL and if we have friends and/or family that moved there primarily for Disney. #positivethoughts
I gave my advice... IMO it's a mistake to move here primarily for Disney. Sorry you don't like it.

ETA: We also lived in CT and hated it. I don't blame them for wanting to move, especially somewhere warm.

MG

I bought a condo in FL 6 miles from Disney to save on hotels. When I retire I will probably use it in the winters. I'm a physical therapist and they don't pay as much in FL as Charlotte area. More money = early retirement.

We moved down in 2011...not specifically for WDW, but that was a perk! We were minutes from the parks and made good use of our Florida annual passes. There were pros and cons. The summer heat is brutal, but the AC everywhere and the pool made that not much of an issue for me. The sunsets are amazing compared to here in PA. The biggest bug issues were mosquitoes the size of helicopters, fire ants, and Love bugs twice a year. Oh, and cockroaches (although they weren't much of an issue in our apartment complex). Spiders were minimal, compared to up north. Probably because of the little lizards, everywhere. They are adorable. I loved having so. many. options. for things to do and places to eat.

The downsides were that the school system my son was in was absolutely horrible, especially since he is on the autism spectrum and they wouldn't, or couldn't, recognize his disability and wouldn't listen to our input about it. He was being bullied and they would do nothing about it. That, and being so far from family, had us moving back to PA after we received news that my mother's leukemia had gotten worse, after two years.

I think that, if it wasn't for those two issues, we would still be there. They were just too big to overcome.

We are from CT... Planning on a move in approximately four years. The top two reasons why we will move are 1) money. CT is too darn expensive. 2) weather. The winters are just depressing and I'm sick of it.
Being near Disney will just be the cherry on top ;) I'd move now if my hubby would.

We made the move as well. Like some others, it wasn't just for Disney, but being close to Disney didn't make the decision painful. We are from the Northeast originally and would not give up Florida for one second. You will have the heat and humidity for 3-4 months, but the rest of the year is 70's-80's with next to no humidity. Year round tee-shirt and shorts weather.:) Living here and being a Disney annual passholder is win-win. We go at least 2-3 times per month and there is no stress to get a ton done. If I want to go for dinner, we can go for dinner and if we only want to spend half a day, we don't have to deal with a cranky child who needs a nap.
If anyone has questions about schools, feel free to message me. We are from the state of Vermont which is known for having one of the best education systems in the country. My wife and I really research schools in the Orlando area and we settled in an area with one of the best education systems in the state. We are very happy with our decision where we live and it doesn't hurt that we are about 30 minutes from Disney!

Last edited:
If I could, I would; in a heartbeat!
Being Canadian does put a hiccup in my fantasy...fingers crossed for a Disney loving (Ameican) Prince Charming :earsgirl::earsboy:

We're so close to the possibility of moving to Fl. It really depends on job offers my DH gets.

Tired of the Midwest. I love all the seasons except winter which is usually long and super depressing (albeit this winter has been insanely warm!). It can start getting cold in November and stay cold well into March. The weather stays nice for a few weeks then usually gets stupid hot May-Aug/Sept.

Difference between stupid hot in the Midwest and stupid hot in Florida is you lack fresh costal air blowing through the state. You're basically in a stagnant puke bowl. Very few people have pools due to lack of ability to use them so you're stuck with lakes and public pools. Gross. You get all the heat and humidity of Florida without the sand, surf, and pools to ease the pain. I would gladly deal with Florida summer to enjoy the Florida "winter".

Being close to Disney would be a huge plus for us. DH is an avid scuba nut so we have more interests besides Disney.

I'll admit I will miss a beautiful snow but I just have to remember the snow is only charming for a day or 2. After that I'm over it and we usually deal with many bouts throughout the winter.

Of course moving there could be a total disaster. Then again it might be the best decision of our lives. We won't know until we try right?:)

On which point? Million reasons to move or Disney not one of them??

MG

The Disney part.

I mean, I live very close to Disneyland by design. We purposely chose to live in this particular city even though my husband's job is 40 miles further south. Disneyland was a factor, among others. Just curious why you don't think WDW should factor into people's decision of where to move if they are considering Florida.

The Disney part.

I mean, I live very close to Disneyland by design. We purposely chose to live in this particular city even though my husband's job is 40 miles further south. Disneyland was a factor, among others. Just curious why you don't think WDW should factor into people's decision of where to move if they are considering Florida.
Well, opinions may vary, but....

There are much prettier places in Florida than central Florida. Toward one of the coasts, preferably SW Florida would be my prime locale... and where we want to end up. Central Florida, while it has a great climate and isn't far from the coast, has its downsides. Crime is one. Orlando is a HIGH CRIME area. We live in a great area, but three miles north... you DO NOT want to accidentally venture into that area. Several areas in the greater Orlando area are like that.
Travel much on I4..?? It will age you.
Now, why did I move to Orlando? Work. I work at MCO.
For many the alure of Disney can, and does wane. I would never move here because of a theme park where after a while may grow old. The negatives far outweigh the benefits.

I love living in Florida, but I can't imagine moving to central Florida with all it's downsides simply because of WDW.
That's just a sample of my reasons.

MG

Well, opinions may vary, but....

There are much prettier places in Florida than central Florida. Toward one of the coasts, preferably SW Florida would be my prime locale... and where we want to end up. Central Florida, while it has a great climate and isn't far from the coast, has its downsides. Crime is one. Orlando is a HIGH CRIME area. We live in a great area, but three miles north... you DO NOT want to accidentally venture into that area. Several areas in the greater Orlando area are like that.
Travel much on I4..?? It will age you.
Now, why did I move to Orlando? Work. I work at MCO.
For many the alure of Disney can, and does wane. I would never move here because of a theme park where after a while may grow old. The negatives far outweigh the benefits.

I love living in Florida, but I can't imagine moving to central Florida with all it's downsides simply because of WDW.
That's just a sample of my reasons.

MG

Well, see, those are issues for YOU!

I live in the safest city in America (literally, it's been #1 for many years running). However, 5 miles north and you are in Santa Ana...A VERY high crime area. I just don't go there. Simple. I drive right past it on my way to Disneyland but I never have business there so I am never there.

Sure, the coast is pretty. So is the CA coast. But it's too expensive to live there. I can be there in 20 min. Good enough.

Traffic is a problem in a lot of places. I deal with legendary traffic on I-5 and I-405 near Los Angeles. I lived in Northern VA for 4 years, home of terrible traffic on 66 and the beltway. Orlando traffic is a cake walk. Those complaints are laughable to me.

So far, I've visited Disneyland somewhere on the order of 400 times. Still hasn't gotten old. I was just at the Disneyland Hotel this morning to have breakfast. We ate and then came back home, stopping to run some errands on the way. I LOVE that I can do that whenever I want. I missed it terribly those years we were in VA. We were always SO bored.

So, I would argue your reasons are issues in a LOT of places, but you can't get Disney in your backyard anywhere else. True Disney fans will love living near WDW or Disneyland. As long as they can support themselves, why not?

Well, see, those are issues for YOU!

I live in the safest city in America (literally, it's been #1 for many years running). However, 5 miles north and you are in Santa Ana...A VERY high crime area. I just don't go there. Simple. I drive right past it on my way to Disneyland but I never have business there so I am never there.

Sure, the coast is pretty. So is the CA coast. But it's too expensive to live there. I can be there in 20 min. Good enough.

Traffic is a problem in a lot of places. I deal with legendary traffic on I-5 and I-405 near Los Angeles. I lived in Northern VA for 4 years, home of terrible traffic on 66 and the beltway. Orlando traffic is a cake walk. Those complaints are laughable to me.

So far, I've visited Disneyland somewhere on the order of 400 times. Still hasn't gotten old. I was just at the Disneyland Hotel this morning to have breakfast. We ate and then came back home, stopping to run some errands on the way. I LOVE that I can do that whenever I want. I missed it terribly those years we were in VA. We were always SO bored.

So, I would argue your reasons are issues in a LOT of places, but you can't get Disney in your backyard anywhere else. True Disney fans will love living near WDW or Disneyland. As long as they can support themselves, why not?
Lol!!!! Reasons for me???
I was asked why I wouldn't move to Orlando with WDW being the main reason. I highly doubt crime, traffic, and beauty of other areas pertain only to me.

Happy you like Anaheim, but that really wasn't the focus city for this thread.

MG

Lol!!!! Reasons for me???
I was asked why I wouldn't move to Orlando with WDW being the main reason. I highly doubt crime, traffic, and beauty of other areas pertain only to me.

Happy you like Anaheim, but that really wasn't the focus city for this thread.

MG

I don't live in Anaheim.

You said there are a million reasons to move to Orlando but WDW is NOT one of them. I asked why NOT. You replied with general reasons like traffic, crime, and beauty. Those have nothing to do with DISNEY.

So I countered that those issues can be found in a lot of places, BUT having a Disney park nearby is pretty great. I was drawing a parallel.

I'm still waiting for you to explain why DISNEY WORLD should NOT be a reason for someone to move to Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!