Has anyone drove from Seattle to DL ?

Catrinabeach

DIS Veteran
We are looking at another DL trip and are considering driving this time to save some money. We were also looking at the train so we're not sure.

I'm wondering if anyone has driven from Vancouver BC or Seattle before ? We live on Vancouver Island. I'm wondering how long of a drive it was, and about what it cost you for fuel and a hotel room on the way.

We can purchase tickets from Vancouver via amtrack for 853.00 US for all 6 of us. Then we would need to rent a mini van while there or 2 cars. Depending if some friends join us.

We are thinking of taking 2 cars and driving down.

TIA

We will be driving from Tacoma at the end of July, and in DL 7/31-8/4. We are planning on leaving Tacoma sometime on Friday, depending on dh's work schedule, and expect to arrive at the hotel, across from DL, late Sunday evening. I don't even want to think about how much gas will cost us, at their current prices. But we flew down last year, for our first family trip to DL, and dh insisted we drive down this year.

We will be leaving DL on Saturday. I am planning on eating at Goofy's Kitchen the morning we leave, and stopping at the Character Warehouse, which is just down the street from DL. And I suppose we will arrive home sometime on Monday, or perhaps late Sunday night. It depends on the route dh decides to take, and how much driving he plans on doing. (He's such a man! He insists on doing all the driving himself)

I am sure I will post more info after we take our trip. I am really looking forward to it, despite the drive. I purchased a portable DVD player for the car, in an effort to keep my 2.5 year old ds and 5.5 year old dd entertained in the car.

We usually stop at the Hilltop Inn in Redding, two queens for 99, nice pool,
eating places all around. If it weren't for the LA traffic, we would be at the hotel about nine hours later. Took us 3 hours to go from Valencia to DLR resort. Have a fun drive.

Jack pirate:

We do it every year. It takes about two days for us. We leave about 4 in the morning, get to Sacramento about 7 at night. The next morning we leave about 5 or 6, depending when we wake up, and arrive in Anaheim at about 1 PM.

We've also taken Amtrak once a few years ago, and we didn't like it as much. I think it'd be fine if you got the cars with the little rooms, though.

Be sure you stop at Rice Hill off I-5 for ice cream this is a great dump of a truck stop with great ice cream.

IN Ca in the town of Dunsimre there was a very small city part with a pike peddle powered merry-go-round. We will be stopping to see if it is still there for a break from the car for my boys. We found this a few years ago and they still have wonderful memories of this place.

Also in Dunsmere there is what is called the Railroad Resort where you sleep in cabooses is you need a unique place to spend the night.

We love rode trips. Took a 3 week one last year.

Books on tape from the library are a really life savor for use. Lunches in city parks even ones with a cheap swimming pool help the kids.

Diana

I-5 is definitely the quickest way! Not the most scenic, but quicker!
We live just outside of Portland and we have driven a few times. It takes us about 10 hrs. to Pacifica Ca., which is northern Ca. We are lucky, because we have family there and stay the night. We leave about about 5:30am from there and arrive at the DLH about 3:00pm. We only stop for gas, potty breaks, and drive-thru food. We always hit kind of heavy traffic around LA area and we are traveling on a Sunday. I know Seattle is about 3.5 hrs. from us. It will probably take you about 24 hrs. give or take a couple.

Stephanie

Dukland said:
We will be driving from Tacoma at the end of July, and in DL 7/31-8/4. We are planning on leaving Tacoma sometime on Friday, depending on dh's work schedule, and expect to arrive at the hotel, across from DL, late Sunday evening. I don't even want to think about how much gas will cost us, at their current prices. But we flew down last year, for our first family trip to DL, and dh insisted we drive down this year.

We will be leaving DL on Saturday. I am planning on eating at Goofy's Kitchen the morning we leave, and stopping at the Character Warehouse, which is just down the street from DL. And I suppose we will arrive home sometime on Monday, or perhaps late Sunday night. It depends on the route dh decides to take, and how much driving he plans on doing. (He's such a man! He insists on doing all the driving himself)

I am sure I will post more info after we take our trip. I am really looking forward to it, despite the drive. I purchased a portable DVD player for the car, in an effort to keep my 2.5 year old ds and 5.5 year old dd entertained in the car.

I couldn't help but notice that we will be there at the same time! We are arriving 7/29 and checking out on 8/4 too!

Stephanie :Pinkbounc

According to mapquest its about 1150 miles from my town to Disneyland. Its about
17 1/2 hours with out stops. We have driven from here to the bay area before. We stopped in the Mt. Shasta area on the way down, and drove straight thru on the way back. I'm guessing we would spend 2 full days to get to DL.

2300 miles @ 20-25 miles per gallon- about 100 gallons. So, $300-400 in gas. Probably the higher end for you since you are coming from further north. At least one night each way for hotel, at about $100 a night. Food for 4 days of driving (2 days each way). Probably close to $100 day. YOu are looking at about $800 to drive. Maybe more if gas prices go up, how much it costs to eat, etc.

Its never worth if for us to drive. 4 days is to much time to spend in the car.

edit: I did gas for one car. You would need to double that amount.

Thank you so much everyone ! We are giving each child their own personal DVD player for Christmas this year so that they will each have one to stop fights about what to watch. They will also have their GBA SP's and Discman's. I figure we will stop a few times along the way since the youngest will be 3 then. So basically it sounds like it will cost the same to drive as for the train tickets except we would need to rent a car if we take the train. I'm guessing we will all be anxious to get there and will probably spend one night on the way there and just arrive late at the hotel near DL that we will stay at. Then we are there when we wake up and can meet up with our friends that will be flying in from PA.

I will be keeping the tips on where to stop for us to keep an eye out. I think we will stop at rest stops for breaks so the kids can move around and have something to eat outside of the car.

When I lived in Seattle (North of in Everett) We drove many times including when our kids were younger. It was about 19 hours of driving and we did it all night long. We left about 5Pm after work each time. That way the kids slept through a lot of the drive. Then we arrived the next day about noonish. Our only stops were rest areas, and a big breakfast to wake up eary in the morning. Then we carried a cooler with extra water, pop and sandwiches. I have done this trip probably 6 times in the past 10 years. We always go I-5. The good part about night driving is less and no trucks to compete with on the road and the kids slept half the trip. My husband and I took turns driving. He is a late owl and I am an early bird so it worked well to switch off about 2 or 3am.

By the way or most recent trip to do that trip was May 2005 (Before I moved to Arizona) We have a Titan Truck, maybe 15 mpg. We filled up at home, then we filled up in mid Oregon and again in Mid California. SO the trip was about $250.00 for gas (Everett WA to Disneyland) Each way plus our meal we stopped for. Washington and Oregon are a bit cheaper for gas than California was.

We have driven from Vancouver Washington, about 3 1/2 hours (if the traffic is good) from you, many times. The last 2 times we drove straight through. The problem with this is that I am so afraid my husband will fall asleep when he is driving I can't sleep. I end up the first day at DL totally exhausted. What is really funny is my husband is a salesman and spends a majority of his work day driving long distances. Anyway this trip, we leave in 9 days, we will leave in the afternoon and try to make it to Sacramento and spend the night and drive to Disney the next morning. If we get to Disney too late in the afternoon we will make our first day there a non-park day and just relax by the pool, shopping in DD, etc... It takes us 14 ours to drive to DL. Have fun planning your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter