• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone done this on the dining plan??

matt&jakesmom

DIS Veteran
My question is we are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids (9 & 7). If we go to say Chef Mickey's for dinner, can we use the dining plan for just 2 adult dinners and pay out of pocket for the kids? Then I would have 2 more TS to be used say at Boma, where I could use them for another adult breakfast/dinner and then pay out of pocket for the kids.

Has anyone else done this when on the dining plan? Did you have any problems with the CM's in your request? Or is this not to be used like that?

:confused3

you really don't want to ask the question of using children's TS credits for adult meals, do you?!

you'll get all kinds of opinions from "hey, it's disney's loophole, they must not care" to moral and ethical judgements over whether or not it is right to pay $12 for something with the intent to dupe and fraud by using it for a $25+ meal [not to mention the CS and snack you get for that $12]

truly, you do not want to go there... but the simple answer is: some people have had success with doing that, others have not been able to...

now, if your children were 10 and 12 and wanted children's meals at a restaurant like lecellier and you opted to pay OOP for them, and save their credits for another TS meal, that's a different story...

good luck, i hope you're flame-retardant!

gigi1313 said:
you really don't want to ask the question of using children's TS credits for adult meals, do you?!

you'll get all kinds of opinions from "hey, it's disney's loophole, they must not care" to moral and ethical judgements over whether or not it is right to pay $12 for something with the intent to dupe and fraud by using it for a $25+ meal [not to mention the CS and snack you get for that $12]

truly, you do not want to go there... but the simple answer is: some people have had success with doing that, others have not been able to...

now, if your children were 10 and 12 and wanted children's meals at a restaurant like lecellier and you opted to pay OOP for them, and save their credits for another TS meal, that's a different story...

good luck, i hope you're flame-retardant!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Thank you so much for your comment! That is exactly the response needed. I am sure soon Disney will start designating adult verses kids meals as they should. GOOD LUCK!
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

We are using the Dining package for the 1st time this summer. Our family consists of DH, Me, DS (12), DD (11), and DS (9). Am I understanding it that since two of my kids are over 10 that they can choose from the adult menu? They are not big eaters, if they choose off the child's menu at a particular meal can I pay for the child's meal and save their TS to be counted at another adult meal? This is very confusing. Mostly all my kids still eat off the child's menus when available. I want to make sure I do the right thing.

yes, as it currently stands, you can do exactly what you are proposing... realize, though, that is only at "menu" restaurant, not at buffets or all-you-care-to-eats (at those restaurants they will be charged as adults)

Lisa3 said:
We are using the Dining package for the 1st time this summer. Our family consists of DH, Me, DS (12), DD (11), and DS (9). Am I understanding it that since two of my kids are over 10 that they can choose from the adult menu? They are not big eaters, if they choose off the child's menu at a particular meal can I pay for the child's meal and save their TS to be counted at another adult meal? This is very confusing. Mostly all my kids still eat off the child's menus when available. I want to make sure I do the right thing.

If your children are over age 10, you are being charged for the ADULT rate with the dining plan. So they are entitled to adult meals, but I believe they are able to chose the children's menu.
You are able to pay oop for whatever portion of your meal you want. Let's say you had 6 adults, but in your party you have one person who will only eat a salad. You can use 5 TS points for the meal and oop for the salad. Or, if you have breakfast and the only thing your DD would eat would be fruit loops, you can save her TS and just pay out of pocket.
I've heard of people saving their TS points for 2point activities and paying for some members of their family with $$.
I think where the moral/ethical issue is when you use "child" credit for adult. I don't personally have that issue.

Yes, they can be used that way. No, the CM's don't usually question it, from what I've read. It's your decision if you want to use them like that. We did it once, we were on free dining. There is no distinction on your room key that any are child's and any are adults.

While I do agree that the plan is flexible and you can pay OOP for whatever you want, I do recall there being posts that at Chef Mickeys they were forced to use their credits and could not pay OOP for the children. Try and do a search and see if you can find it.

Maggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter