Has anyone done the Backstage Magic Tour?

I did it in the 90s and it was a blast. Those were the days when there were imagineers at the Studios, and you painted a cell with them. Our lunch was at Mama Melrose's, and a couple of the streetsmophere troupe at with us staying in character the whole time. We also went underneath Body Wars in the Wonders of Life pavilion in Epcot. Now that I think about it, a lot of what we saw/did is not even there anymore!! There was no AK when we did the tour :)

I have never been disappointed in any of the tours I have done at Disney.

I did it in 2013 I know it’s changed but I hear that even without going to all four parks anymore it’s very much worth it

I have done this tour twice. The first time in 2012. Epcot-American Adventure, MK- utilidors only, ST- Tower of Terror in maintenance bay in the building, AK- Parade Floats for Jammin Jungle Parade, Cast Member Service where costumes are laundered and stored, Greenhouse/Nursery which ALLOWED pictures, Central Shops, and Creative Costume where costumes are designed. The second tour was 2016. Things were eliminated or changed since 2012. Epcot-American Adventure same, MK- utilidors with VIP Festival of Fantasy Parade, ST- Tower of Terror in maintenance bay in the building same, AK- 10 minute talk with conservation education cast member with Wild Africa Trek, Greenhouse/Nursery which DID NOT allow pictures, Central Shops, and Creative Costume where costumes are designed. On that tour we were told that Creative Costume would be moved into another building due to Star Wars construction, so I don't know if it is still part of the tour. Both tours had very good guides. You get their perspective not a canned spiel for each section and based on questions asked during the tour. (I took notes for scrapbook journal.) I would love to hear update for 2018 especially for Animal Kingdom. I wonder if the Animal Kingdom part now includes something from Pandora or Rivers of Light backstage and if the move did take place for Star Wars. I will wait until all of the construction is done and take a third tour probably in 2021. There is another thread like this on what is now page 3 for other answers.

YouTubeer Tiffany Mink posted a vlog about her tour over on her channel it’s fairly recent as the thing she was excited about seeing in central shops but couldn’t say then were parts of the new Stave Church exhibit in Epcot

When I was there in 2016, Maelstrom had just closed, so the had the standing polar bear from the ride in the warehouse. It weighed over 1000 lbs. and had to be taken out in 2 parts which made him bi-polar (groan for the pun). There was also a hippobottomless (groan they love puns) from the Jungle Cruise and one of the carousel horses was in for paint job.

When I did it in 13 they were working on mine train vehicles and they had the dwarf animatronics from the old Snow White ride waiting to be installed in the cottage scene

Also in costumes saw maryweathers costume for FoF as well as them working on some of the dancer costumes for the final unit

I did it in 2013 and it was amazing! They were still building 7DMT so we got to see the animatronics when they were building them, we also got to go through the costume studio and see new costumes being created. We also got to go to the parade float barn for Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade before that ended and we got to see the parade floats up close. One of my favorite parts was going backstage at American Adventure and seeing the show from the back side, how the animatronics get switched around on the stage, how they work and seeing them up close....it was so awesome! We ate at Whispering Canyon Cafe and got to go into the infamous Utilidors! We did it for my 21st birthday and it was money well spent in my opinion. I absolutely LOVED it! Definitely would recommend if you have the time (I believe it was 8 hours, so takes up your entire day) and money.

DH and I are thinking about doing this on our adults only trip this fall. How much time is spent walking/standing overall? Is there a chance every so often to sit for a moment? I am fine for a day in the parks, but just need to sit for 5 minutes now and then.

You will be sitting on the bus as you travel from place to place and there is the meal break and restroom breaks too.

I thought it was worth every penny!

I love getting backstage info, seeing behind the curtain and getting the inside scoop.

It was really hot that day, so the bus was lovely and air conditioned. They had plenty of water for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!