Has anyone done back to back ABDs? Thinking Peru and Galapagos

PHamrick

Mouseketeer
So, originally I was looking at the Lindblad experience that did about a week in the Galapagos and about a week in Peru/Machu Picchu. However, I just started looking at the ABD offering and I'm wondering if anyone has attempted the two back to back? My kids would be maybe 10 and 12 when we would take this trip. Both Machu Picchu and the Galapagos are at the top of my bucket list, so I think it makes sense to combine the two.

On a related note, has anyone take either of those trips with kids about the same ages? What did you think? I haven't found recent reviews of either trip and I was wondering how people feel/felt about the trips.

Thanks!

We did both of those trips with ABD. We did Ecuador in 2015 and Peru in 2016 and my girls were around the same ages as your kids. My Peru trip report is on my blog:
http://travel.veralana.com/2016/07/03/peru-sacred-valley/
I didn't do a trip report from Ecuador, but it was a wonderful trip--one of our favorites.
For Galapagos there is a ton of snorkeling. As long as your kids don't mind being in the water and can swim it's really fun. If your kids are scared of swimming with fish/animals nearby then maybe not a good fit. It's amazing how friendly all of the animals are. They are not afraid of people at all, even the birds.
Peru is much less about animals/nature and more about seeing a lot of ruins/cultural sites. They are all very interesting and there is a good amount of hiking/rafting/etc built in. The Sol y Luna hotel is one of my favorites ever. My kids enjoyed both trips.
I wonder if it wouldn't be a lot to combine two trips. I had considered it with Arizona and Wyoming but decided that adjusting to two different group dynamics back-to-back might be a challenge. And honestly, the flights down there aren't too bad, so I think doing them separately would probably be preferable (unlike something like Australia and New Zealand or South Africa and Tanzania).

We did both of those trips with ABD. We did Ecuador in 2015 and Peru in 2016 and my girls were around the same ages as your kids. My Peru trip report is on my blog:
http://travel.veralana.com/2016/07/03/peru-sacred-valley/
I didn't do a trip report from Ecuador, but it was a wonderful trip--one of our favorites.
For Galapagos there is a ton of snorkeling. As long as your kids don't mind being in the water and can swim it's really fun. If your kids are scared of swimming with fish/animals nearby then maybe not a good fit. It's amazing how friendly all of the animals are. They are not afraid of people at all, even the birds.
Peru is much less about animals/nature and more about seeing a lot of ruins/cultural sites. They are all very interesting and there is a good amount of hiking/rafting/etc built in. The Sol y Luna hotel is one of my favorites ever. My kids enjoyed both trips.
I wonder if it wouldn't be a lot to combine two trips. I had considered it with Arizona and Wyoming but decided that adjusting to two different group dynamics back-to-back might be a challenge. And honestly, the flights down there aren't too bad, so I think doing them separately would probably be preferable (unlike something like Australia and New Zealand or South Africa and Tanzania).

I can understand it would be a lot, but we normally do two week trips in the summer. It's easier on my husband's job to schedule one longer trip rather than spreading them out. We did two weeks in Europe this summer (they were 7 and 9) and they were able to hang. We've got two weeks in Italy/Greece coming up too, so I like the idea of about two weeks. I'm going through your blog now. Thank you!!!

I agree with above that your kids might be exhausted. the pace of an ABD is not the same as a usual vacation pace. Everyday is jam packed with activities. We have done 5 ABD trips so far and doing ARizona next week. My kids are the same age as yours and great travelers, but I really can't imagine them doing two back to back. The late nights and long days definitely leave my kids exhausted after 1 trip. just food for thought..

Btw, what we typically do is extend the trip by doing a few days on our own beforehand. This way we can go at a slower pace etc. For example we went to london for a few days before our Rhine Cruise last summer and we are spending a few days in Seattle ahead of our Calgary ABD.

We just got back from a trip with an 11 and 14 year old. Doing two back to back would have been way too much for us. We were really glad we added a post day just to relax before heading home. If you do them both, can you have down time in between?

Also, on our trip, one of the families had previously been on the Peru trip. Their daughter was now 14, and they said they went a few years ago (so about the age of your youngest.) They loved the trip in general, but mother expressed regretted that they hadn't waited until she was older. Because of the kind of trip it was, she thought she would have gotten a lot more out of it now at 14 than she did at that age. sorry I don't have more detail than that. And as always, your experience may be different.

I personally would split those two trips, even if only adults were going and I travel a lot. That is a lot to pack into two weeks. You also have the worry about altitude sickness in Peru. What if someone gets sick; that could be two trips ruined.

Having looked at many itineraries, I have seen those combined trips quite often.

We have done back to back ABDs - London/Paris and then Italy/Switzerland. We had done several ABDs before those, so knew it would be pretty hectic. I think we had one day between. DD was 12. One thing we did not really process of back to backs vs a longer group trip is getting to know people twice......a longer trip can be nice as you get to know people better.
We usually do a 2 week summer trip as well - as others have said, it can work well to do a 7-10 day ABD then fill in the other time on your own. Couple of times in Europe we have done ABD and a cruise combined (not DCL).

Galapagos is on our list for next summer - couple of people I had talked to recommended waiting til kids were older as it can be physically demanding - particularly the snorkelling.
We did an 8 day Peru trip when DD was 10. It was a fabulous trip. Altitude sickness affected a few people, but the recovery was relatively quick once back in Lima.
Peru was not ABD, and our Galapagos won't be either.

ABD is definitely promoting the back to back trip idea. I'm always checking what the prices are doing for our trip this summer and they have a line like "have you considered paring this with this other ABD trip?"

I like to be thrifty with my travel dollars, so the idea of only paying for one flight, but getting to see multiple areas is very appealing to me. We handled it this time with the Italy ABD and then a DIY time in Paris for 5 nights. Total we are gone two week, with an extra night at the start of the ABD.

But I'm a little leery of doing it with very active trips. While I like to go-go-go on vacations to areas that I've never been (or even places I've been), my family is not as into that travel style. As such, from trial and error, I've learned that sometimes less is definitely more. For instance, for this trip, during the Paris time, we are just staying out at DLP (and then commuting into Paris for a few days) instead of spending nights out at the parks and then moving back into Paris. That would be too much movement, after the tour of Italy. Also, I'm hoping that the DLP time will be familiar enough for them that it will seem "relaxing."

We have done both Machu Picu and the galapodas in one trip. Through a travel co, that we like very much, Gate 1 travel. It was very doable. We flew into Lisbon. Macho picu was a long day trip from Cousco. It was incredible. My only caveat about the galapodos is that we did three days there, staying in one hotel and taking boat rides out every day, the wildlife and snorkeling was great. But you spent a lot of time in a Boat. In hindsight I would have preferred a cruise that took you from island to island. We did not have children with us although there were children on one of the boat rides to snorkel. It was a long day and the kids got very tired and Crabby,

Thanks for all the input everyone! I think, for now, we are going to start with a Christmas market Danube River cruise and then China. Even with the much longer travel time to China, we could add on a day or two at the beginning and end of the trip and still keep the trip to about two weeks/16 days. We will figure out Peru/Galapagos. The idea of doing them back to back is still appealing, but I'll have to gauge our ability to keep up after doing China.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I think, for now, we are going to start with a Christmas market Danube River cruise and then China. Even with the much longer travel time to China, we could add on a day or two at the beginning and end of the trip and still keep the trip to about two weeks/16 days. We will figure out Peru/Galapagos. The idea of doing them back to back is still appealing, but I'll have to gauge our ability to keep up after doing China.
You will LOVE China! But I will warn you, it's the most exhausting ABD I've done, mostly because of the 5 internal flights during the trip. So that could be a good indicator!

Sayhello

You will LOVE China! But I will warn you, it's the most exhausting ABD I've done, mostly because of the 5 internal flights during the trip. So that could be a good indicator!

Sayhello

Yeah, I don't think we will go back to relaxing vacations any time soon! The family has chosen China, Peru/Galapagos, South Africa and the Arctic as our next four summer trips starting in 2021. Maybe once the kids are off at college I'll lay on a beach for a week!

We are very interested in the Arctic, which company are you touring with? I understand your concern. I am doing ABD China in August with my 21 year old son, come back for 2 days to move him from Atlanta back to college in Boston, and then to Italy for ABD Italy/Switzerland with my husband and our close friends. I’d prefer to have a month between the trips, but my son is limited by a 13 week summer internship and school starting back, and Italy/Switzerland is the last AE for that trip for the year. We are going Capri for 3 days pre trip and I hope to relax, plus I’ll be going from 12 hour time difference to 6, so maybe I’ll adjust quickly. I’d appreciate any advice on making the transition!

We are very interested in the Arctic, which company are you touring with? I understand your concern. I am doing ABD China in August with my 21 year old son, come back for 2 days to move him from Atlanta back to college in Boston, and then to Italy for ABD Italy/Switzerland with my husband and our close friends. I’d prefer to have a month between the trips, but my son is limited by a 13 week summer internship and school starting back, and Italy/Switzerland is the last AE for that trip for the year. We are going Capri for 3 days pre trip and I hope to relax, plus I’ll be going from 12 hour time difference to 6, so maybe I’ll adjust quickly. I’d appreciate any advice on making the transition!
I always try to stay up as late and as close to my normal bed time as possible on the day I arrive. I also like to get out & walk in the fresh air that day, too. No naps! It really helps me to minimize jetlag.

Sayhello

I was looking at the Nat Geo trip to the Land of the Ice Bears. And I ditto what @sayhello said. Drink lots of water, try to power through the first few days to get on the new schedule as soon as possible, take melatonin to help you sleep if you need to the first night or two and fresh air! You can do it! Sounds so exciting!

We did back to back ABD Viva Italia and Knights and Lights in 2008. We also did a pre night in Rome and went to Pompeii on our own and 2 post nights in Paris and did DL Paris on our own. 21 days .It worked out great with flights and I would do it again. We don't have kids though.

We did back to back ABD Viva Italia and Knights and Lights in 2008. We also did a pre night in Rome and went to Pompeii on our own and 2 post nights in Paris and did DL Paris on our own. 21 days .It worked out great with flights and I would do it again. We don't have kids though.

That's great to hear! We are used to two weeks of vacation with lots of activities/touring. I think if we did Machu Picchu first and the Galapagos second, we'd be ok. With the new Egypt itinerary, we may be putting these plans on the back-burner for a while anyway. Thanks for all the input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!