Has anyone booked a Universal night during a Disney resort reservation?

PrincessesX3

Mouseketeer
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has ever booked a night a Universal while you were staying at Disney? I have book a DVC room for 12 nights and did not want to pack up and then unpack. I compared prices and it is cheaper and beneficial to stay on Universal property for one night instead of just going over for the day. I could just leave my room empty for the night at Disney right? Has anyone done this?

When we’ve combined a Universal vacation we do it first before WDW.

I’m curious why you would empty your room for just one night. Just pack an overnight toiletry bag and go, leave everything else in your WDW room. As for leaving empty if you mean as in a person there that’s a non isssue if you paid for it checked in and don’t stay a night Disney could care less. You may have the security check but that’s it

It won't be an issue. Staying onsite at universal will give you front of the line passes for free (for their deluxe resorts) so it is beneficial. on a side note, if the hotels you are looking at are priced similar, the portofino bay will be the one Id choose every time.

We did this a few years ago, I advised the front desk at the Poly but they really were not that interested.

We did this a few years ago and it worked great. We stayed at POFQ with a week reservation.When we went to Universal we packed a backpack with a change of clothes, left the majority of our things in our room, called a cab and went to Royal Pacific at about 8am. We did not tell anyone at Disney. We just went. We left our overnight backpack with guest services at Royal Pacific and went to the parks. We stayed overnight. In the morning we checked out, left our overnight bag with the Royal Pacific bell services again and went to the Universal parks again. About 4:00 we walked back to Royal Pacific, retrieved our overnight bag and called a cab back to POFQ. All of our things at our POFQ room were just fine. We then continued our Disney vacation.

You could also just start your vacation at Universal for one night and then move to Disney.

We did this during our trip in 2014 to get into US side of Harry Potter early - just packed a change of clothes, had dinner at BOG, drove to the Royal Pacific and checked in. Were back at our Disney resort by 4pm the next day, in time for our PM fast passes at DHS.

We stayed at the RPR in 1 room with another couple, so it worked out to about $50/pp which was cheaper & better than their stand alone express pass offering, which is why we did it. Plus, we were able to hit the ground running since we got the US gate at like 6am to be first in line to ride Gringott's & check out Diagon Alley before all the crowds got there.

Nope! We do split stays so we benefit from all the onsite perks at both universal and DIsney

We spent one night at Universal during our trip last November. As others mentioned, we saved a bit of money (or perhaps broke even) by staying at Universal and getting the free express passes instead of purchasing them. Had a great time at Universal. We just took a single suitcase to Universal and left the rest of our stuff at Yacht Club.

For the folks who have stayed at Royal Pacific, how did you like it? I'm booked there for a trip in November (still trying to figure out the logistics of Disney/UOS) and I've had some people tell me I should switch to Portofino. If I'll be in the parks all day (they close at 7pm) is there really that huge of a difference for a 2 night stay?

We are thinking about doing it on this trip, and have done something similar in various hotels outside of Disney. I usually tell the reception that we will be staying elsewhere that evening, just in case there is a fire or evacuation - I would hate for someone to waste time looking for us when we are safely in another hotel for that night. Nobody has ever seemed the slightest bit interested, though!

We've thought about it, but decided WDW hotel prices were just too high.

For us, a big part of considering it over simple split stays, is the time gap between check out and when your 2nd hotel room will be available. Hard to nap/swim/keep items cold during that gap. If you have groceries, bell services will sometimes store them in a fridge, but that takes a little time.

In the end, we just got better about our packing and unpacking routines. If you don't unpack (much), then it doesn't take long to change rooms, especially since the advent of express check out/express check-in.

For the folks who have stayed at Royal Pacific, how did you like it? I'm booked there for a trip in November (still trying to figure out the logistics of Disney/UOS) and I've had some people tell me I should switch to Portofino. If I'll be in the parks all day (they close at 7pm) is there really that huge of a difference for a 2 night stay?
All the Universal hotels are very nice! (The only one we haven't yet tried is Cabana Bay.)

Royal Pacific is very close to the parks. Unlike WDW, the water taxis are VERY frequent and convenient. Also unlike WDW, walking to the parks is very quick and easy. The rooms aren't quite as big as some others, but we didn't mind. IMO, the only downside of RP that we've noticed is that the pool doesn't have a waterslide. However, the Universal pools all offer guests free waterfloats to use. you are also allowed to pool hop if you want; you are allowed to use any US pool. The US pools also all serve poolside drinks/food that they will serve right to your chair if you want.

Portofino has bigger rooms and a poolslide. Portofino is also very nice! The only downside of Portofino is that it is further from the parks. In November, that's not a big deal. In August, we prefer the shorter RP walk, but even the Portofino-to-US walk is shorter than the CR-to-MK walk.

(ALSO, all the US resort pathways have pedicabs, if you start to walk and decide you don't feel like it.)

Hard Rock is also a lot of fun. Sapphire is gorgeous- it just doesn't get the Express Pass that you get at the 3 deluxe hotels.

Another plus of Universal is easy dining. In general, the food options are better than WDW's, with less hassle. You don't have to pick dining half a year before you go. Most Universal places DO take reservations if you prefer, but they are easy to get. Even without reservations you have many options in all price ranges! At RP, we love: lobby QS breakfast and evening sushi.

One exception is the very fun Chocolate Emporium. No reservations, everyone ahs to wait. To dine there, you CAN send someone ahead to get a pager, and just stay in contact via phone.

All the Universal hotels are very nice! (The only one we haven't yet tried is Cabana Bay.)

Royal Pacific is very close to the parks. Unlike WDW, the water taxis are VERY frequent and convenient. Also unlike WDW, walking to the parks is very quick and easy. The rooms aren't quite as big as some others, but we didn't mind. IMO, the only downside of RP that we've noticed is that the pool doesn't have a waterslide. However, the Universal pools all offer guests free waterfloats to use. you are also allowed to pool hop if you want; you are allowed to use any US pool. The US pools also all serve poolside drinks/food that they will serve right to your chair if you want.

Portofino has bigger rooms and a poolslide. Portofino is also very nice! The only downside of Portofino is that it is further from the parks. In November, that's not a big deal. In August, we prefer the shorter RP walk, but even the Portofino-to-US walk is shorter than the CR-to-MK walk.

(ALSO, all the US resort pathways have pedicabs, if you start to walk and decide you don't feel like it.)

Hard Rock is also a lot of fun. Sapphire is gorgeous- it just doesn't get the Express Pass that you get at the 3 deluxe hotels.

Another plus of Universal is easy dining. In general, the food options are better than WDW's, with less hassle. You don't have to pick dining half a year before you go. Most Universal places DO take reservations if you prefer, but they are easy to get. Even without reservations you have many options in all price ranges! At RP, we love: lobby QS breakfast and evening sushi.

One exception is the very fun Chocolate Emporium. No reservations, everyone ahs to wait. To dine there, you CAN send someone ahead to get a pager, and just stay in contact via phone.
Thank you for all of the info!! I'm glad to hear that the Chocolate Emporium is still there. I heard about it opening and that was it. Any suggestions?? With the parks closing at 7pm I guess I'll be spending a lot of time in CityWalk/at the pool. What's your opinion on doing Disney vs Universal first in my trip? I'll be doing 2 nights at US anyway, I just haven't decided if I want to do Sunday-Tuesday at the beginning of my week or Friday-Sunday at the end. I *want* to finish with Disney because I love Disney, but I'm not sure if I'll regret that when I go to MK on a non-party Saturday, lol.

Another option is, you can just go to RP in the morning, check-in to get your EP's and not even spend the night.

Thank you for all of the info!! I'm glad to hear that the Chocolate Emporium is still there. I heard about it opening and that was it. Any suggestions?? With the parks closing at 7pm I guess I'll be spending a lot of time in CityWalk/at the pool. What's your opinion on doing Disney vs Universal first in my trip? I'll be doing 2 nights at US anyway, I just haven't decided if I want to do Sunday-Tuesday at the beginning of my week or Friday-Sunday at the end. I *want* to finish with Disney because I love Disney, but I'm not sure if I'll regret that when I go to MK on a non-party Saturday, lol.

We enjoyed finishing up at Universal last year. So much more relaxed than disney, with the express passes. No planning, no adrs and totally chilled.

We liked all 3 of the express pass hotels but HRH has probably been my favourite, we spent 3 nights there so with express pass we had a fair bit of resort time. That said we are at RPR this year for 7 nights.

Never been to universal. Considered it but felt like what if I don’t like it then I would be sitting there wishing I was at Disney.

We do this if we travel all 5 of us. We stay in a 3 bedroom treehouse villa at Disney but book hard rock for 2 nights and it’s cheaper than buying 5 front of line passes.

We use the room to store stuff in relax in the afternoon even swim but sleep back in our 3 bedroom Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter