Harnesses/Leash for 7 year olds?

You might get some dirty looks and maybe even a few rude comments, but most people are so into their vacation they arent even going to notice you. But if it happens just remind yourself that your childrens' safety is more important to you than some strangers opinion about your parenting skills. Be confident that you are doing your job by keeping your kids safe and dont let a few rude people who dont understandcruin your trip

Child leash -- leash stretches across some of the scarce open space between persons that is now not available for quick walking through. Today's vocabulary: clothesline, (as a verb)

This is an actual safety concern - I haven't seen the long, telephone coil style leashes at WDW recently, but I do remember when the longer leashes were more popular and people let their kids get pretty far away and then someone would go between and the kid would get pulled down and scraped up. Or the kid would run around a person! So the length of the tether is a concern. It should be very, very short, so that a person could not get between the child and the adult.

My sister was a runner. My mom used to harness her to the clothesline in the back yard. Do whatever you feel works best for your family. That being said, a kid that was harnessed, leashed, whatever you want to call it ran out in front of me while I was on a scooter. Luckily for them I am always in “scanning” mode and while it was abrupt and caused the people behind me to run smack into me, I did come to a sudden dead stop. People are not always paying attention to what is not in their line of vision (I.e. looking down to see a child) or an ecv user) and I can see someone easily taking down a child (since those people run into ecv’s). There are always reasons “for” and “against” something. Only you can decide what is best for your family.

Many years ago we tried it at Disneyland and managed to lasso a whole family. After a few minutes we gave up on tethers, as it was just too crowded to let them wander more than an arms length away without tripping someone. You might want to try it out somewhere super crowded to see if yours is short enough not to be a problem.

We just got home from a quick trip up to Branson. There was a lovely little family in line ahead of us at Dick's 5&10 - where it's crowded and crazy, and visually overwhelming and enough to make anyone feel overwhelmed, and they had a tether on their younger son, who was probably about 7 years old. The kids were fascinated with my personal mobility device, and I answered all their questions, and then as the line inched forward, we talked about all of the things they had been doing and what they liked best. Then, the older son (who was so wise at all of about 8 years old! LOL) turned to me, and said "My brother has a leash because he runs away". He kind of rolled his eyes, and shrugged, like "What can you do?"

His little brother said "Stop it! Stop telling people that!" I looked at the little brother, and said "I bet you have to use that because your superpowers are SO STRONG, right?!" He beamed, and punched his older brother, and proceeded to tell his entire family that I said he has superpowers, super-strong superpowers, so there! 😁

His long-suffering older brother just shot me a look, and shook his head... like "Crazy old lady" LOL Meanwhile the little brother was asking me exactly *what* I thought his superpower was. I just told him that *I* thought his superpower was his curiosity, because he always wanted to go and see what was next, what was ahead, and that was why he needed to have that reminder to be patient, and wait. And that was *awesome*, because it meant he might become a great explorer like an astronaut, or a super-scientist who made amazing discoveries, or whatever he wanted to be. (I then had to tell his older brother what I thought *he* would be as well LOL).

I glanced up at their mom, and she had tears in her eyes. I had just long enough to say "Y'all are doing just fine", and then line moved, and we went left to the register and they went right in the other line, and we didn't see them again.

I hope that maybe someday, somehow, she sees this - because her kids are awesome, and she is doing what is best for her family, and I have nothing but respect for that entire little family.

I leashed my kiddo up until about 5 yrs when we went anywhere busy. She was easily distracted and something of a runner. We had one of those puppy backpacks with the leash attaching to that. the strap was about an extra arms length or so over me just holding the backpack handle and it never became a clothesline issue. You might hear grumblings from people who really don't have a clue, but most of the time you don't.

Here's something I tell a lot of people who are worrying about how other WDW vacationers will think about them ... No one spends that kind of money to take their family to WDW so that they can pay attention to other families. Seriously. I watched a woman change her baby's diaper in a drinking fountain ... yeah ... and NO ONE said anything!

So go do what you gotta do to have a good trip, the rest of us don't matter.

I think more people are becoming aware of autistic kids. If I saw an older child that looked "normal" and was wearing a harness, I would assume that there was a very good reason for it and not give it a second thought. And it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks anyway. There will always be rude judgemental people out there. Do what you need to do for your family.

I suggest using lightweight sling backpacks for the kids that you can grab onto in crowds so they don't bolt. My boys are both autistic and this is what we use in the parks. They are teens, and don't bolt, but tend to walk away ahead of us. I put neon ball caps on the younger one so I can see him far away, and since we go every week, and they know the parks well, it works for us. I wouldn't use a harness or leash with a 7 year old, although we used them when the kids were toddlers. Hold hands, or grab backpacks and make a train in high crowd situations.

We just got home from a quick trip up to Branson. There was a lovely little family in line ahead of us at Dick's 5&10 - where it's crowded and crazy, and visually overwhelming and enough to make anyone feel overwhelmed, and they had a tether on their younger son, who was probably about 7 years old. The kids were fascinated with my personal mobility device, and I answered all their questions, and then as the line inched forward, we talked about all of the things they had been doing and what they liked best. Then, the older son (who was so wise at all of about 8 years old! LOL) turned to me, and said "My brother has a leash because he runs away". He kind of rolled his eyes, and shrugged, like "What can you do?"

His little brother said "Stop it! Stop telling people that!" I looked at the little brother, and said "I bet you have to use that because your superpowers are SO STRONG, right?!" He beamed, and punched his older brother, and proceeded to tell his entire family that I said he has superpowers, super-strong superpowers, so there! 😁

His long-suffering older brother just shot me a look, and shook his head... like "Crazy old lady" LOL Meanwhile the little brother was asking me exactly *what* I thought his superpower was. I just told him that *I* thought his superpower was his curiosity, because he always wanted to go and see what was next, what was ahead, and that was why he needed to have that reminder to be patient, and wait. And that was *awesome*, because it meant he might become a great explorer like an astronaut, or a super-scientist who made amazing discoveries, or whatever he wanted to be. (I then had to tell his older brother what I thought *he* would be as well LOL).

I glanced up at their mom, and she had tears in her eyes. I had just long enough to say "Y'all are doing just fine", and then line moved, and we went left to the register and they went right in the other line, and we didn't see them again.

I hope that maybe someday, somehow, she sees this - because her kids are awesome, and she is doing what is best for her family, and I have nothing but respect for that entire little family.

Wait - so you made the older brother sound like a jerk and inflated the younger kid's ego so much that he punched his older brother? I feel sorry for that older brother.

Wait - so you made the older brother sound like a jerk and inflated the younger kid's ego so much that he punched his older brother? I feel sorry for that older brother.
Maybe that was because his older brother was acting like a jerk. And from the sound of the post, the punch sounded like one of those punches that brothers often use against each other. It didn't sound like anyone was hurt.

Oma, I love you to pieces, but don't worry. It wasn't a hard punch - it was more of a shove, I suppose. I know you have seen brothers push each other around before. 🙂

As I said in my original post - the older boy wanted to know what I thought *his* superpowers were, and what I thought he was going to be when he grew up. I just didn't include those details in my original post.

So, for the record, I told the older brother that *his* superpower was the ability to be wise, and a good leader, and a protector of his little brother. And that meant he was kind of like Batman, or Superman. And that he might go on to be someone who cared for others like a doctor, or a fireman. After that moment, the line moved, and our families went their separate ways.

And my intent was *never* to make the older brother feel like a jerk - but to let his younger brother know that he was great - he was *awesome* - exactly as he is, and that his future is as unlimited as anyone else's.

I watched a woman change her baby's diaper in a drinking fountain ... yeah ... and NO ONE said anything!

I thought I have seen everything, but this I just have no words for at all.

I heard about this several years ago and that's one 'big' reason I will never
use the water fountains at Disney!! It's very easy for us to get water at QSs and it's filtered and cold.

Maybe that was because his older brother was acting like a jerk. And from the sound of the post, the punch sounded like one of those punches that brothers often use against each other. It didn't sound like anyone was hurt.

I think punching your sibling is also acing like a jerk, maybe more so because one should use words, not fists.

I have adult diagnosed Aspergers and one of my tendencies as a child was to do exactly as your daughter is described as doing. I would spot something and, whoosh, I was gone. There is nothing wrong with wanting to keep your children safe, so if it means getting wrist leashes then do it and stuff the judgemental beggars. I believe all under 5s should be on harnesses on busy places, you go through so much to have a child, a $10 harness is a small price to pay and I'm disgusted at people who say that you are treating your child like a dog when you put a harness on them.
By the way, I grew out of wandering off, I think, but, I do still get fixated (obsessed) very easily, I also say things that can offend without realising until I get told. Aspergers as an adult is much harder because most don't know they have it and it is often pure luck they are diagnosed.

I have 2 on the spectrum, and both of them have benefited from using a special needs stroller, up to age 10 or so. If your kiddo won’t sit in one, the other thing we have used is the ConnectorRX, which is a patent out of our friends in Portland who support kids with autism, but in the end is a waist to waist connection you could make with carabiners. The idea is to follow the child and keep them connected to you rather than controlling where they go. No one gave us a second look with them when we used them, it’s seemed to signal “special situation”

I have adult diagnosed Aspergers and one of my tendencies as a child was to do exactly as your daughter is described as doing. I would spot something and, whoosh, I was gone. There is nothing wrong with wanting to keep your children safe, so if it means getting wrist leashes then do it and stuff the judgemental beggars. I believe all under 5s should be on harnesses on busy places, you go through so much to have a child, a $10 harness is a small price to pay and I'm disgusted at people who say that you are treating your child like a dog when you put a harness on them.
By the way, I grew out of wandering off, I think, but, I do still get fixated (obsessed) very easily, I also say things that can offend without realising until I get told. Aspergers as an adult is much harder because most don't know they have it and it is often pure luck they are diagnosed.
I have seen a child using a backpack leash pulled over by someone watching their phone and going between child and person holding leash which for me would be a worry with an older child on one in a crowd

I think punching your sibling is also acing like a jerk, maybe more so because one should use words, not fists.

Just let it go! Have you had close relationships with young preteen/teen brothers or close friends? I raised two sons and that is the way they are affectionate with each other and communicate, much different with girls, and yes, I had a dd also. They aren't 'fist hitting', more of bumping and shoving. It's totally normal.

Just let it go! Have you had close relationships with young preteen/teen brothers or close friends? I raised two sons and that is the way they are affectionate with each other and communicate, much different with girls, and yes, I had a dd also. They aren't 'fist hitting', more of bumping and shoving. It's totally normal.

Seriously. My son and his male cousins do this all the time. Doesn't mean they want to hurt each other - it's how boys tend to communicate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter